What aren't we writing about? (Pokemon unfit for OU Analyses)

No word on exegutor still? Hes the best special sweeper in the sun and hes the best staller in the sun with chlorophyll/ harvest for those 2 roles. He is also used more than star raptor and tangrowth and frosslass and dugtrio and yanmega and 20 other pokes that have OU analysis's.

donophan cant even punch major holes, spinning is all it has. and having weather on your team is important in this meta not because it works on any team, but because if the oppoenent has control of the weather they normally have a better chance of winning. there are hardly any teams that dont run weather in this meta, making your own weather starter that important
Your saying 120 base attack isn't good? Also plenty good teams do not run sand, its not automatically a good thing. I don't see hippowdon outclassing this at all, make a case that this isn't a good spinner, because while thy are close, they are not close enough for one to just say "its outclassed."

Lets do it.

Today I am nominating Machoke:

When one thinks of Machoke, it thinks of Machamp, with much higher stats. But when equipped with Eviolite, Machoke takes hits better than Conkeldurr, the reason that Machamp is outclassed. With NoGuard, Machoke is able to beat Machamp's checks, most notably Lati@s.
This kind of gotten ignored.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since Trick Room is technically an OU viable play style, is there a possibility of giving notable TR sweepers (like Marowak) an analysis under the basis that Pokemon who have niches get analyses? Or are we going to append the OU TR sets onto the UU and NU analyses (like 4th gen)?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
V0x said:
Reason being....? And so that means OU TR sets will be added to the UU / NU analyses right?
AccidentalGreed said:
Anything slow and powerful can be effective in Trick Room, which is what we're generally trying to avoid. If the Pokemon can set up Trick Room itself, or is extremely good or noticeably supportive (i.e. Rhyperior, Uxie, Dusclops...) while having good utility outside of Trick Room conditions, it deserves an analysis.
Also, no.

No on Donphan. It has been discussed in the past...

Reason being....? And so that means OU TR sets will be added to the UU / NU analyses right?
AccidentalGreed said it right. And if you'd like a single example, Druddigon, which is obviously outclassed by a bunch of other Dragons, only had a set to utilize TR in it's analysis before it was rejected a while ago.

And yet Eviolite Porygon2 is up there, even as its evolution is UU. That doesn't make sense to me.
Eviolite Porygon2 is not a gimmick. It's the best Trick Room starter there is thanks to its immense bulk, a single weakness, Recover etc. Not to mention its great synergy with other Trick Room users like Reuniclus. That its evolution is UU is irrelevant.

People also seem to neglect that Porygon2 gets Download as an optional ability. With a Download boost and Trick Room up, Porygon2 outspeeds everything above Base 40 speed, has over 500SpA, better defenses than most walls and excellent coverage with Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / HP Fire. Charge Beam even lets it boost.

Porygon2 is also a good supporter even without Trick Room, since it can switch into stuff like Heatran with impunity and abuse other pokémon's abilities through Trace. Tracing Poison Heal off Gliscor whilst coming in on Toxic Spikes is ridiculously good. Not to mention Magic Coat prevents it from being setup fodder for stuff like Deoxys S, Taunters and phasers in general, etc. Porygon2 is fantastic at spreading status via Thunder Wave, Magic Coat and Toxic; it even has a respectable Base 105 Special Attack to use stuff like Ice Beam and Thunderbolt with.

And if you're looking for other gimmicks to use, Porygon2 is also one of the best Gravity users thanks to Recover, good synergy with other Gravity users, better special attack and speed than Blissey, and Trace giving it free switches. Oh. and Psych Up can be used with a fully Specially Defensive set for lols against Calm Minders like Latias.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Alright, this has been scampered around so much that I'm going to make a very strong push this time. I believe that Exeggutor really deserves an OU analysis. It is the strongest Chlorophyll user with its base stat of 125 SpA (25% stronger than SpA Venusaur and Atk Sawsbuck). Leaf Storm is absolutely preposterous STAB with Psychic, Psyshock, Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Hidden Power Fire waiting in the wings. At 418 Speed (252 neutral nature) under sunlight, it's perfectly capable of messing up opponents with Sleep Powder or hitting them hard with its viable movepool.

Under the sun, Exeggutor can also fill the unique role of being the designated status absorber with Harvest. It can be surprisingly defensive with some key resistances and access to no-sleep Rest, thanks to infinite Lum Berry under sun. If you're game to running some trickier Berry-moves (resist one weakness or infinite pinch berry), Exeggutor does just fine with Leech Seed, Synthesis, and Moonlight for recovering health. It can also provide team support with Toxic, Trick Room, Stun Spore, and Block.

With resistances to Grass, Electric, Water, Ground, and Fighting types, Exeggutor doesn't face problems switching in. These key resistances allow Exeggutor to function decently outside of sunlight if need be, making it unique to other Chlorophyll abusers. It's a fantastic counter to Conkeldurr, Breloom, Gliscor, and even Ferrothorn to some degree. Check out this post I wrote up a few pages back. I gave a big ol' run through at how Exeggutor can handle common threats.

Exeggutor has been brought up numerous times with very little criticism or opposition for receiving an OU Analysis. I hope the moderators can see that Exeggutor is a huge threat under sun, a viable Pokemon without it, and a strong promoter of STAB Leaf Storm, Psychic, and team support. I would be absolutely honored to write up an OU Exeggutor analysis if these points are seen favorably. Thanks for your time.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, this has been scampered around so much that I'm going to make a very strong push this time. I believe that Exeggutor really deserves an OU analysis. It is the strongest Chlorophyll user with its base stat of 125 SpA (25% stronger than SpA Venusaur and Atk Sawsbuck). Leaf Storm is absolutely preposterous STAB with Psychic, Psyshock, Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Hidden Power Fire waiting in the wings. At 418 Speed (252 neutral nature) under sunlight, it's perfectly capable of messing up opponents with Sleep Powder or hitting them hard with its viable movepool.

Under the sun, Exeggutor can also fill the unique role of being the designated status absorber with Harvest. It can be surprisingly defensive with some key resistances and access to no-sleep Rest, thanks to infinite Lum Berry under sun. If you're game to running some trickier Berry-moves (resist one weakness or infinite pinch berry), Exeggutor does just fine with Leech Seed, Synthesis, and Moonlight for recovering health. It can also provide team support with Toxic, Trick Room, Stun Spore, and Block.

With resistances to Grass, Electric, Water, Ground, and Fighting types, Exeggutor doesn't face problems switching in. These key resistances allow Exeggutor to function decently outside of sunlight if need be, making it unique to other Chlorophyll abusers. It's a fantastic counter to Conkeldurr, Breloom, Gliscor, and even Ferrothorn to some degree. Check out this post I wrote up a few pages back. I gave a big ol' run through at how Exeggutor can handle common threats.

Exeggutor has been brought up numerous times with very little criticism or opposition for receiving an OU Analysis. I hope the moderators can see that Exeggutor is a huge threat under sun, a viable Pokemon without it, and a strong promoter of STAB Leaf Storm, Psychic, and team support. I would be absolutely honored to write up an OU Exeggutor analysis if these points are seen favorably. Thanks for your time.
just have patience and wait. the QC team have to go over and review this pokemon to make sure they believe it is viable. also they have other things to do in their life as well, it might take some time, but eventually an answer will appear

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
just have patience and wait. the QC team have to go over and review this pokemon to make sure they believe it is viable. also they have other things to do in their life as well, it might take some time, but eventually an answer will appear
Sorry, I hope I didn't sound too snarky D:

It's just that Exeggutor has been brought up a whole mess of times throughout this topic with legitimate ideas and movesets. Unfortunately, they've all been ignored (within this topic). It's comforting to hear that the QC team is working to check its viability; it would've just been nice to have at least one response saying so. Regardless, I have always been appreciative of the QC team and believe that they are more than qualified to make these kinds of decisions.

Also, I know that Hitmonlee has been rejected due to Unburden being released, but are his other two abilities viable for OU? STAB Reckless Hi Jump Kick is an absolute monster to face against. Priority moves like Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, and Bullet Punch all help with the case as well. It gets pretty good coverage with Flare Blitz, Sucker Punch, Earthquake, and Pursuit. It also has access to Bulk Up, which can match up its poor base 53 Defense to be online with his surprising base 110 Special Defense.

Furthermore, Limber Hitmonlee can be an excellent counter to Jirachi, the bane of many teams. It could Bulk Up while remaining unparalyzed and then outright murder with Blaze Kick. Base 87 Speed is certainly workable towards outspeeding many other threats.

Wouldn't Tropius be better? Yea it can't do the support role as well as Exeggutor can but it has better defense stats (99/83/87 vs 95/85/65) that Exeggutor along with a ground immunity, less weaknesses (5 vs 7), and phazing with Whirlwind.

Please not I'm not trying to push Tropius into the OU listings, just saying that I think it's better than Exeguttor.

Sorry, I hope I didn't sound too snarky D:

It's just that Exeggutor has been brought up a whole mess of times throughout this topic with legitimate ideas and movesets. Unfortunately, they've all been ignored (within this topic). It's comforting to hear that the QC team is working to check its viability; it would've just been nice to have at least one response saying so. Regardless, I have always been appreciative of the QC team and believe that they are more than qualified to make these kinds of decisions.

Also, I know that Hitmonlee has been rejected due to Unburden being released, but are his other two abilities viable for OU? STAB Reckless Hi Jump Kick is an absolute monster to face against. Priority moves like Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, and Bullet Punch all help with the case as well. It gets pretty good coverage with Flare Blitz, Sucker Punch, Earthquake, and Pursuit. It also has access to Bulk Up, which can match up its poor base 53 Defense to be online with his surprising base 110 Special Defense.

Furthermore, Limber Hitmonlee can be an excellent counter to Jirachi, the bane of many teams. It could Bulk Up while remaining unparalyzed and then outright murder with Blaze Kick. Base 87 Speed is certainly workable towards outspeeding many other threats.
Hitmonlee is just too outclassed at the moment without unburden, base 87 speed doesn't allow him to outspeed pretty notable threats. Fighting-types with higher base speeds, such as Terrakion and Mienshao, pretty much outclass Hitmonlee. Base 53 Defense also means Hitmonlee will be at least 2HKO'd by most priority as well, especially a Mach Punch coming from Conkeldurr or an Aqua Jet from an Azumarill. Mienshao is better in most ways: it too can run Reckless HJK, and also has a decent SpA to hit Gliscor with a Hidden Power Ice. Its also faster and has slightly better attack than Hitmonlee anyway, and access to U-Turn allows it to escape Wobbuffett (which can be a serious problem for Hitmonlee) and hit Reuniclus indefinetly (without having to rely on Sucker Punch). Regenerator also allows it to recover off some Life Orb recoil, something Hitmonlee can't do without Wish support. When Unburden is released, then he can gain a niche, but until then, he's just outclassed.
On another note, Hitmonlee should never use Vacuum Wave, and doesn't even have access to Flare Blitz (perhaps you meant Blaze Kick?).

Wouldn't Tropius be better? Yea it can't do the support role as well as Exeggutor can but it has better defense stats (99/83/87 vs 95/85/65) that Exeggutor along with a ground immunity, less weaknesses (5 vs 7), and phazing with Whirlwind.

Please not I'm not trying to push Tropius into the OU listings, just saying that I think it's better than Exeguttor.
Oh sure Tropius would be alright (not better as a sweeper) except for all the Ice-type moves most Pokes carry these days for Gliscor, Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, the Lati@s bros., Landorus etc.!

Birkal

We have the technology.
Oh sure Tropius would be alright (not better as a sweeper) except for all the Ice-type moves most Pokes carry these days for Gliscor, Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, the Lati@s bros., Landorus etc.!
Furthermore, there is no "surprise element" to Tropius. It isn't going to be running Chlorophyll sets; only berry abuse. Exeggutor, on the other hand, has some key time while the opponent suffers from indecisiveness to Sleep Powder and then go to town with team support or hit hard with STAB. Tropius doesn't get any good team support moves besides Sleep Powder and Whirlwind.

While Exeggutor faces a x4 Bug weakness that Tropius rivals with only x1, Exeggutor doesn't face a crippling x4 Ice weakness, it resists Electric attacks, and it takes minimal damage from Stealth Rock. Also, Exeggutor might have slightly worse defenses, but it at least brings an offensive presence without any EVs invested. Base 125 SpA compared to base 72 SpA is a joke.

And thanks for the response to Hitmonlee! I figured it was highly outclassed. I just needed some sense knocked into me =P.

I'm not sure if there is already a thread like this or not, but I think we could use a thread that includes all the pokemon that will deserve an Analysis once their dream world ability is released like Serperior.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I'd like to take a moment and argue for Zebstrika.

While underused & underrated, Zebstrika isn't a Pokemon that is unfit for OU. In fact OU is the only metagame it does well in from my experience.

This is the set I've been using:

Zebstrika (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Me First
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat
- Volt Switch

While he's sitting at 363 Speed, Zebstrika is almost completely forced to use his weaker attack stat because his physical movepool is Wild Charge, Flame Charge, Double Kick, & Pursuit. But that's actually where the bad news ends for this Pokemon.

Zebstrika is very anti-metagame. (I never liked that term, but there you go.) Volt Change gives Rain Teams conniptions if paired with other Weather. His high speed means that most Pokemon need a Choice Scarf to catch him Volt Changing. Overheat & Lightning Rod are what separates Zebstrika from Jolteon. He effectively busts open Gliscor-Ferrothorn cores and stops Landorus, Garchomp, and Scizor. Lightning Rod lets Zebstrika switch-in on Thundurus's Thunderbolt or Thunder Wave, steal a free +1 Sp.Atk boost, then out-speed him and OHKO with Hidden Power Ice. Me First is a very interesting move that lets Zebstrika KO things he really as no business KOing without it. For example, if Terrakion uses Close Combat or even Sacred Sword, Zebstrika's Me First will use it first, temporarily get STAB for it, AND boost it's power by x1.5, OHKOing Terrakion even with Zebrastrika's Timid nature.

While Zebstrika will probably never be an OU Pokemon, he's more than deserving of an OU analysis just because he functions so well in it and can't perform anywhere near as well in the other tiers. I'd love to do the OU write-up if you'd consider him fit for one.

Specs Zebstrika is probably somewhat viable just because of Lightningrod, with an effective stat of around 650 when switching in on an Electric attack it can wreck a lot of opponents even if they switch in and take a resisted hit. Thunderbolt / Overheat / HP Ice / Volt Change would probably be best.

Specs Zebstrika is probably somewhat viable just because of Lightningrod, with an effective stat of around 650 when switching in on an Electric attack it can wreck a lot of opponents even if they switch in and take a resisted hit. Thunderbolt / Overheat / HP Ice / Volt Change would probably be best.
No, Specs isn't a good option because you must rely on a type to be not only present, but have to be used. With an 80 base Special Attack, the boost is honestly only a perk. The main reason to use it is for the immunity. If you were to take advantage of the boost, then use a mix set, as its movepool (either Physical and Special alone) is quite shallow.

Pelipper can have at least one use out from UU?

Rain Dish with Politoed support (really common) and Leftovers + Awesome Water/Flyint typing + great Defense = useful tank.

See ya.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pelipper can have at least one use out from UU?

Rain Dish with Politoed support (really common) and Leftovers + Awesome Water/Flyint typing + great Defense = useful tank.

See ya.
Gyarados and Parasect outclass this entirely. Sure Gyarados and Pelipper have the same type, but Gyarados has better defenses and a more offensive presence. Parasect has Spore, a typing that resists most common weaknesses in a rain team, massive recovery (forgot the percentages), and Leech Seed to help make its name in OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)