Great Defensive Combos

Amoongus and Slowro make an absolutely amazing defensive core. They cover each others weaknesses perfectly except for flying, dark and ghost. Amoongus runs specially defensive and Slowbro runs physical defense. Amoongus can take shadowballs all day and recover off damage from regenerator, giga drain and leftovers while slowbro can take Brave birds remarkably. THey both have regenerater so they can easily switch between each other absorbing resisted hits while the toxic that either one can easily set up chips away at a foes health. Amoongus can clear smog away boosts when an opponent tries to use their defensive nature as set up fodder. Unfortunatley Yanmega kinda screws them over but I normally use them in OU with Heatram to form an absolutely AMAZING fire, water, grass as well as a less common but still great poison, psychic and steel core
You can't use Regenerator Amoonguss in OU, since it hasn't been released in the Dream World yet. I'm guessing you meant in DW OU?

Good post.

A small nitpick, you said Gliscor resists both of tentacruel's weaknesses, electric and ground. But that sort of implies that those are its only two weaknesses, when it is also weak to Psychic. And seeing as most psychic attacks are special, Gliscor won't be taking those well :/
Saying that aren't most Psychics running PsyShock now? So taking defence into count, not special. In that particular case GLiscor is okay, however Psychic (the move) itself is still around, and that's about the only other good Psychic move itself. So it's depends really.

FerroGliscor is also a good defensive combo.Although it's beaten by Nastyplot thundrus,keldeo(in DW only),Heatran.It is better than Ferrocent imo.

FerroGliscor is also a good defensive combo.Although it's beaten by Nastyplot thundrus,keldeo(in DW only),Heatran.It is better than Ferrocent imo.
Heatran isn't stopping Ferrothron from switching to Gliscor... unless Tran is packing HP Ice... actually most do so yeah you're right

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Hp Ice? Why would heatran need hp ice? Houndoon, a pokemon with only base 110 special attack, has no problem killing Gliscor with fire blast. I'm pretty sure heatran can do the same. Gliscor just doesn't take special attacks.

Hp Ice? Why would heatran need hp ice? Houndoon, a pokemon with only base 110 special attack, has no problem killing Gliscor with fire blast. I'm pretty sure heatran can do the same. Gliscor just doesn't take special attacks.
Heatran needs HP Ice for Dragons that resist his Fire STAB most notably Dragonite, Salamence, and Garchomp which all take 4x damage due to their typing. Gliscor also takes 4x damage from HP Ice and is far more reliable with its 100 accuracy than Fire Blast with its 85.

I don't know if this thread is for OU only, but an amazing RU combo I've used to great success is: Steelix/Mantine.

What they have together:
Resist 15 types in tandem, neutral to the other two (Ice/Grass)

Resist each other's weaknesses (Steelix is immune to electric/Mantine is immune to water/ground and resists fighting/fire)

Incredible defenses. Steelix has base 200 defense and Mantine has base 140 special defense. To maximize overall bulky, I use 252 HP evs on both and 252 SpD on Steelix / 252 Def on Mantine, with the corresponding natures.

Great support capabilities. Steelix brings stealth rock to the table and has access to roar. Sturdy allows a makeshift check to set up sweepers if it comes in at full health. Decent attack makes its STAB earthquake hit hard and low speed + STAB let gyro ball do a ton. I personally run Stealth Rock/Roar/Toxic/Gyro Ball, but its set is preference. Mantine, on the other hand, can spread toxic around like no one's business and has amazing longevity with its Rest/Sleep Talk/Scald/Toxic set. If you want to add a bit more offense to it, you can swap Toxic out for HP Flying, but I prefer otherwise.

To summarize, the duo resists 15 types (with 4 immunities), resists (or is immune to) all of each other's weaknesses, has access to hazards, phazing, and toxic stalling, great defenses in tandem and good overall bulk, along with amazing typing individually (but especially in tandem), and decent offensive capabilities.

I was playing around in Emerald today and thought of something interesting....

Swampert and Skarmory.

Skarmory quad resists Swamperts grass weakness, and Swampert is immune to electric and resists fire. Sure they are generally physical walls, but Skarmory can be run specially defensive, and I guess Swampert can too to some extent. But then against they both can lay down hazards and phaze...damnit. But maybe for a stall team?!

I seriously don't understand why you would use cryogonal over regice. also, celetran is still good as ever.

I seriously don't understand why you would use cryogonal over regice. also, celetran is still good as ever.
1) Recover
2) Rapid Spin
3) immune to EQ

They both suck in OU, but those two moves (and ability) easily set Cryogonal apart from Regice.

Swampert and Skarmory are both physically defensive pokemon by nature, try again.
Really? Because last time I checked.. Which was just now, Swampert has equal defenses.
And fire and electric, the notable resistances, are primarily special.

Swampert can run specially defensive, and actually survive a surprise grass move like hidden power and grass knot from something that doesn't get STAB.

And specially defensive Skarmory is actually usable as well, by using its great resistances, and even then it can take neutral hits quite well.

Swampert and Skarmory are both physically defensive pokemon by nature, try again.
False. Swampert has 110 / 90 / 90 defenses and has better special resistances than physical ones (Fire + Electric vs Rock + Steel)

EDIT: Ninja'd. :P

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DD Scrafty with Moxie and a Lum Berry also destroys FerroCent, with STAB Drain Punch (or HJK) and STAB Crunch.

Wow, it looks like I'm destined to have Jellicent and Ferrothorn.

The only ferroseed I got in the game which was randomly in some cave, happens to be impish and knows gyro ball and curse. It's like the game WANTS
me to use Ferrothorn, like its begging me too.{For some reason, my only abra in game that I also randomly got in the wild happens to be modest, but thats another story.} Ironically, the pokemon I want with the right natures never seem to come to me, yet for some reason, random OU pokes that I catch will have the right nature despite being the only time I tried to get that species of poke in-game.

Anyways, my team has no problems fight jellicent and ferrothorn, Jell is 2HKO'd by my team's grass type and my Accelgor takes out Ferrothorns with Focus Blast. Also, a good counter to ferrothorn is Emboar, who also happens to get Wild charge to hit Jell should it switch in.

Physical Defensive Ferrothorn with Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs can take Physical Hits aimed at Blissey a lot better than Skarmory, and then Blissey also takes those Flamethrowers coming back.

Wow, it looks like I'm destined to have Jellicent and Ferrothorn.

The only ferroseed I got in the game which was randomly in some cave, happens to be impish and knows gyro ball and curse. It's like the game WANTS
me to use Ferrothorn, like its begging me too.{For some reason, my only abra in game that I also randomly got in the wild happens to be modest, but thats another story.} Ironically, the pokemon I want with the right natures never seem to come to me, yet for some reason, random OU pokes that I catch will have the right nature despite being the only time I tried to get that species of poke in-game.

Anyways, my team has no problems fight jellicent and ferrothorn, Jell is 2HKO'd by my team's grass type and my Accelgor takes out Ferrothorns with Focus Blast. Also, a good counter to ferrothorn is Emboar, who also happens to get Wild charge to hit Jell should it switch in.
Impish is good for a Ferroseed/Ferrothorn, but Relaxed with minimum speed IVs is even better if you're running Gyro Ball, seeing as it would get a boost in power.

Also, if you're looking for a Jellicent to go with it, Frillish (their pre-evolution) can be caught by surfing in areas such as Driftveil City.

Do you think a
Lanturn/Skarmory
defensive combo would work

Lanturn's weaknesses
Grass - Skarmory 4x resist
Ground - Skarmory immune

Skarmory's weaknesses
Electric - Lanturn heals
Fire - Lanturn 2x resist

Lanturn is good on the special side, whilst Skarmory is obviously physically defensive.

Do you think a
Lanturn/Skarmory
defensive combo would work

Lanturn's weaknesses
Grass - Skarmory 4x resist
Ground - Skarmory immune

Skarmory's weaknesses
Electric - Lanturn heals
Fire - Lanturn 2x resist

Lanturn is good on the special side, whilst Skarmory is obviously physically defensive.
I actually do like the sound of that combo :) but what about the movepool of the two? can skarmory take on ground type pokemon? excadrill is a problem because skarmory can't really hit excadrill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)