NU Discussion Thread [Ancient]

Status
Not open for further replies.
this,
this, and
this post

Same, but replace Jolteon with Snover, and the tiers as well.
Just addressing something that somebody said to me earlier.

I said StallRein is unusable down here, not Walrein in general. What makes the StallRein set work is permanent hail, which doesn't occur down here, in order to recover 1/8th of its hitpoints every turn.

Walrein in general will be a fun Poke to use down here though. People often neglect its other ability, Thick Fat, which adds a resistance to Fire, and adds even more Ice resistance. I feel Walrein, along with Alomomola, will be the bulky waters to look out for down here.

After looking at the list I realized a third of my OU team is NU. Golurk for the win!
Yes, it's true that there are a quite a few (will be) NU pokemon that are viable in OU. Frankly, I rarely ever play OU (only a couple of battles, nearly all horrible losses, with a Trick Room team), but I assume that if a NU pokemon manages to get an OU analysis (such as Lapras and Archeops), it's probably viable in OU.

As much fun as I have in RU, I think this will be my tier where I will shine as well. Heck, my favorite RU sweeper is Dragon Dance Crawdaunt which will plow over this tier without Sharpedo/Yanmega to outspeed and Poliwrath to resist its STABs.

Walrein in general will be a fun Poke to use down here though. People often neglect its other ability, Thick Fat, which adds a resistance to Fire, and adds even more Ice resistance. I feel Walrein, along with Alomomola, will be the bulky waters to look out for down here.
Yeah, with Thick Fat NO Ice attack is breaking through Walrein. For lols, Specs Glaceon's Blizzard deals 12.2% - 14.4% to an uninvested Walrein, and a mere 7.3% - 8.7% to a specially defensive one. +6 Jynx's Ice Beam doesn't even break Walrein's Substitute.

To conclude, if you have an offensive Ice type, you have to run something to deal with Walrein.

Raichu ftw. Wait, is Pikachu in NU too? I'd love to use it here. Anyone else think the event moves are gonna help it a lot or not? If only it came with a Light Ball....

Since Light Ball isn't confirmed yet there's currently no case for Pikachu. Not to mention Electabuzz is like 100x better(and it's not RU iirc)

Yeah, Raichu is NU and therefore so are both it's pre-evolutions.
You can't make that case any more. Dusclops and Porygon2.

And idk about Wallrein being that amazing. Its not like there are no hard-hitting Fighting or Rock types in the tier, and without Ice Body recovery and no Hail to dish out damage while you stall, if you decide to attack for one turn, there's a likeliness you get KO'd the next. And the fact you have to run Ice Beam lowers the already low attcking prowess Wallrein has.

You can't make that case any more. Dusclops and Porygon2.

And idk about Wallrein being that amazing. Its not like there are no hard-hitting Fighting or Rock types in the tier, and without Ice Body recovery and no Hail to dish out damage while you stall, if you decide to attack for one turn, there's a likeliness you get KO'd the next. And the fact you have to run Ice Beam lowers the already low attcking prowess Wallrein has.
Avalanche, Earthquake, Rest, Crunch/Sleep Talk/Curse. If Muk can pull it off, I see no reason why Walrein can't, especially with a better offensive set of moves.

Torterra is in this tier. Oh hell yes.

But so are Cryogonal, Walrein, Regice, Rotom-F, Glaceon, Piloswine, Jynx, Sneasel, Lapras. Oh shit.

If only Rotom S got a useful ability! Looking at the mini-threat list on the OP however, the fan seems like it could check/counter the dangerous Swellow and Archeops if it has a physically defensive EV spread.

The question is: with Electabuzz, is Life Orb the best item or is Eviolite? If Electabuzz can avoid being OHKO'd by some attacks then this gives it two attacks instead of one if it outspeeds, which is clearly better than Life Orb's 30% boost. But are there enough cases where this happens for it to be a viable option?

Stealth Rock is going to be a huge threat in this tier, just pointing it out. With the majority of the viable spinners being used in the above tiers, we're left with mostly Eviolite spinners and Pokes that can spin but don't like Stealth Rocks. I can see a bunch of random Taunters running around to make sure Rocks don't get set up.

Stealth Rock is going to be a huge threat in this tier, just pointing it out. With the majority of the viable spinners being used in the above tiers, we're left with mostly Eviolite spinners and Pokes that can spin but don't like Stealth Rocks. I can see a bunch of random Taunters running around to make sure Rocks don't get set up.
No kidding. If you want something fully evolved that isn't weak to Stealth Rock, your choices are literally Kabutops and Spinda. Sandslash, Hitmonlee, and Hitmonchan are very low RU though, so they might be down here as well when everything's said and done.

NU isn't really going to have any good spinners. There's Wartortle, Staryu, Pineco, Tentacool, Torkoal, Delibird, Spinda, Armaldo, Baltoy, Kabutops, and Cryogonal. Natu could also be used to deflect Stealth Rock, but it's a frail pokemon even with Evolite. Pineco, Torkoal, Armaldo, and Cryogonal all don't like Stealth Rock (Saying that Delibird doesn't like SR either would be an understatement, but he sucks anyway) though at least Cryogonal is immune to Spikes and T-Spikes. Staryu, Tentacool, and Baltoy are all weak Evolite Pokemon (though Pineco might be good as he can set up all three hazards), and Spinda, as we all know, just plain sucks. That leaves Wartortle, and Kabutops as somewhat good spinners. Unfortunately, both share a weakness to Grass, and neither resists SR. I'm actually starting to feel that due to the lack of really good spinners in the tier, there's a chance that Stealth Rock would completely rule the tier (it's not like NU is getting suspect testing this gen, right? I hope so, but there might not be enough players to make NU an official tier).

I really hope there would be enough people playing NU to warrant suspect testing, because Stealth Rock is completely broken in this tier. Spikes and Toxic Spikes not so much, but definitely Stealth Rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)