NU Discussion Thread [Ancient]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So! With the RU stats released, we can start making some predictions about the new NU metagame, which looks like it's going to be very interesting this time around, with threats such as Swellow, DD Crawdaunt, Flame Charge Magmortar and others in the wings. Here's some of my predictions.

• Swellow will dominate the metagame at first. It outspeeds everything below +nature base 110's with Adamant for christ's sake, and there's almost no viable Steel types to take Brave Birds and Facades. As a result, Regirock will also be big since it's one of the few pokemon that can shrug it off. Eviolite Rhydon may also be popular.
  • Archeops will also be a big offensive threat, outspeeding almost everything in the tier with a Jolly nature and hitting most things hard. It boasts a better movepool and the ability to go forever if unchallenged (unlike Swellow with Toxic Orb + Brave Bird), in addition to usable SpA.
  • Eviolite Magneton, interestingly enough, is arguably the most viable Steel type, being able to take Normal and Flying attacks from the above whilst striking back with a powerful STAB Thunderbolt. Even Swellow's max investment Guts Facade fails to 2HKO an uninvested Eviolite Magneton, meaning it can switch in despite being slower if necessary. Sturdy will also protect you from Archeop's Earthquake, so long as you're hazard free.
  • Sturdy Bastiodon will also act as an awesome counter, and can use Metal Burst to screw both of them over.
So what pokémon do you think are going to be big in this tier? I'll make a post similar to the RU discussion thread once there's enough responses.

I could see Rhydon being popular too.

However, Rhyperior looks like it will move to UU next update, which would mean that Rhydon is likely to move up to RU.

Since it'll probably be a few months until the NU metagame gets started, it's quite possible that Rhydon will be RU by then, so will never see use in NU. In terms of Rock/Ground types, I'd say the next best in there are Golem and Pupitar.

Not sure if a Rock/Ground type is necessary. Earthquake doesn't exactly hit a lot in this tier that Stone Edge doesn't. Plus, Regirock can make the most of pure Rock typing since it can actually take a Grass or Water attack on occasion.

So what pokémon do you think are going to be big in this tier? I'll make a post similar to the RU discussion thread once there's enough responses.
Because, IMO, even with Gorebyss leaving RU only one of them is going to rise enough to not end up down here, Shell Smash Huntail/Smeargle definitely could do some damage. Eviolite Lairon might also be good for taking those flying and normal moves from Swellow and Archeops.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pokemon i'm interested in
Raichu (lol Manetric is RU, what a sucker)
Leafeon
Smeargle (YET ANOTHER tier he can abuse shell smashing)
Wobbuffet* (if it doesn't banned hehe)
Altaria
Emboar
Druddigon

If RU is the new UU, NU is the new RU

Swellow still cannot pass through aggron (and almost any steel/rock type), SubGron is deffietly gonna be one of it's best counters

I think rain teams will be really hard

Just putting this out here, but here is the type breakdown of the first 100 below what would be the cutoff for NU if it existed:

Normal - Swellow, Persian, Cinccino, Tauros, Braviary, Smeargle, Munchlax, Bouffalant, Ursaring, Lickilicky, Audino, Togetic, Slaking, Kangaskhan, Regigigas

Fighting - Emboar, Gurdurr, Sawk, Throh, Machoke, Combusken

Flying - Altaria, Swellow, Braviary, Archeops, Murkrow, Rotom-S, Tropius, Golbat, Jumpluff, Togetic, Ninjask, Butterfree, Masquerain

Poison - Golbat, Roselia, Vileplume, Muk, Haunter, Garbodor

Ground - Dugtrio, Golurk, Rhydon, Torterra, Golem, Piloswine, Stunfisk, Seismitoad

Rock - Regirock, Rhydon, Archeops, Kabutops, Golem, Cradily, Probopass, Rampardos, Magcargo, Armaldo, Gigalith, Shuckle

Bug - Accelgor, Pinsir, Ninjask, Butterfree, Armaldo, Masquerain, Shuckle

Ghost - Golurk, Rotom, Drifblim, Misdreavus, Haunter

Steel - Magneton, Klingklang, Probopass, Metang

Fire - Magmortar, Emboar, Torkoal, Rapidash, Flareon, Magcargo, Combusken

Water - Lanturn, Slowking, Crawdaunt, Walrein, Alomomola, Ludicolo, Samurott, Kabutops, Simipour, Lapras, Huntail, Seismitoad, Kingler, Golduck

Grass - Ludicolo, Torterra, Tropius, Leafeon, Exeggutor, Roselia, Jumpluff, Vileplume, Meganium, Serperior, Cradily

Electric - Lanturn, Eelektross, Electrode, Magneton, Rotom, Rotom-F, Rotom-S, Luxray, Stunfisk

Psychic - Slowking, Mesprit, Gardevoir, Exeggutor, Jynx, Duosion, Hypno, Metang

Ice - Cryogonal, Walrein, Regice, Rotom-F, Glaceon, Piloswine, Jynx, Sneasel, Lapras

Dragon - Altaria, Druddigon, Dragonair, Zweilous

Dark - Crawdaunt, Absol, Murkrow, Sneasel, Zweilous

Swellow still cannot pass through aggron (and almost any steel/rock type), SubGron is deffietly gonna be one of it's best counters

I think rain teams will be really hard
Aggron is RU. Lairon does have enormous defenses with Eviolite though.

Carracosta will probably be something big as will Musharna. Musharna is something you don't wanna fuck with considering it has calm mind, moonlight, stored power, and hp fighting at it's disposal as well as great bulk Absol, Swellow, and Golurk will pretty much be the best choices offensivly against Musharna. Watch for toxicing it though, cause it has synchronize.

Which pokemon was the last to get into ru anyway? The 53rd one? Btw murkrow used to be higher than honchkrow. How things change. And absol detonates swellow

Gigalith with Custap is an AWESOME LEAD, setting up rocks, then exploding. I'm also excited about Carrocosta as a lead. With good Physical power, a STAB priority, A decent special attack and movepool, and sturdy too, it'll rip shit up, either as a Lead or a basic sweeper. Swellow is good and all, But hail will be popular as you can see by the existense of stallrein. WHO LET FRIGGIN' STALLREIN ON THE LIST!!! NOOOOOOO!!! so will sandsttorm, as Cradily, rhydon, and other ridiculously tough threats (lol I run like half of these XD). Even without perma-weather, it'll still be around and dominant. I mean, look at TR! its only 5 turns, but ppl still run it!

Which pokemon was the last to get into ru anyway? The 53rd one? Btw murkrow used to be higher than honchkrow. How things change. And absol detonates swellow
Assuming that 3.4 is the cutoff, it would actually be #54 Hitmonlee at 3.4110.

I think Bastiodon is probably better than Lairon if you're going for defenses, especially since it can use Leftovers.
Yeah, that or Probopass I suppose. Lairon does have the advantage of not-awful attack so I suppose it will probably have its uses too.

Gigalith with Custap is an AWESOME LEAD, setting up rocks, then exploding. I'm also excited about Carrocosta as a lead. With good Physical power, a STAB priority, A decent special attack and movepool, and sturdy too, it'll rip shit up, either as a Lead or a basic sweeper. Swellow is good and all, But hail will be popular as you can see by the existense of stallrein. WHO LET FRIGGIN' STALLREIN ON THE LIST!!! NOOOOOOO!!! so will sandsttorm, as Cradily, rhydon, and other ridiculously tough threats (lol I run like half of these XD). Even without perma-weather, it'll still be around and dominant. I mean, look at TR! its only 5 turns, but ppl still run it!
I'm sorry, but Custap Berry is illegal at the moment as it is neither obtainable in-game nor is it available in the Dream World (same goes for all of the other pinch berries as well), and I don't think that there will be a Dream World NU tier. Anyway, how will Torterra do in this tier? I've never used him in a team before, but he's one of my favourite pokemon and I'm looking forward to using him in NU.

I think i might try this tier. The only tier atm not plagued by Weather everywhere >.>

I think Electrode might be a good revenge sweeper here, with the ability to run Specs and Volt Switch/Explosion...other than that, not much =/

Also, Musharna looks to be this tier's Cresselia with it's great bulk and unhindered moonlight.

Swellow and Braviary seem pretty strong.

Tropius, which has get his new ability Harvest, can be a very interesting Pokemon in NU.

StallRein will be completely ineffective in this tier, just saying. No permhail (because Snover usage puts him in NU) means StallRein sucks.

Swellow and Braviary seem pretty strong.

Tropius, which has get his new ability Harvest, can be a very interesting Pokemon in NU.
Doesn't Harvest only replace berries 100% of the time when sun is up? PO used to have Harvest always replace berries even if sun is not up, but that seems to have been fixed in the most recent update. The update basically makes Harvest hard to use as there's no permanent sun in any tier below OU.

Doesn't Harvest only replace berries 100% of the time when sun is up? PO used to have Harvest always replace berries even if sun is not up, but that seems to have been fixed in the most recent update. The update basically makes Harvest hard to use as there's no permanent sun in any tier below OU.
Sun makes harvest replacement 100%, yes, but have you ever gone against a harvest user? Even though it isn't 100%, it replaces almost all the time. Really, really annoying.

Sun makes harvest replacement 100%, yes, but have you ever gone against a harvest user? Even though it isn't 100%, it replaces almost all the time. Really, really annoying.
Sun without Harvest replaces berries 50% of the time (though it can still restore the berry on later turns if it isn't restored immediately). Regardless, 50% is nowhere near 100%, and that means that you can't reliably harvest stall with Tropius (though it's still a usable ability give that his other abilities are useless without sun). Yes, I have been beaten by a harvest user before, but that was before PO changed it.

Sun without Harvest replaces berries 50% of the time (though it can still restore the berry on later turns if it isn't restored immediately). Regardless, 50% is nowhere near 100%, and that means that you can't reliably harvest stall with Tropius (though it's still a usable ability give that his other abilities are useless without sun). Yes, I have been beaten by a harvest user before, but that was before PO changed it.
Slap Protect on them then. Problem solved.

Leech Seed / Protect / Toxic / Rest + Chesto Berry (for example)

When you face him, you will know that it is. As Skwog says: "Really, really annoying".

Eviolite Lampent looks like a good TR supporter. Good bulk, Flash Fire, good offenses and STAB for a supporter, Will o Wisp. Shame it doesn't get destiny bond.

Eviolite Frillish also works as a more specially defensive version, but using a weaker Surf instead of an actually respectable base 90 Flamethrower.

I think TR might be prominent. Between Evolite Duosion, and a fkload of slow pokes in here like slowbro and shuckle... Sh*t gonna go down son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)