Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, Spd)
- Sheer Cold
- Scald
- Rest / Double Team
- Sleep Talk / Substitute / Rest
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3758046&postcount=7
  • This set is meant to stall as long as possible, and Suicune's bulk and typing gives it a unique niche in singles play.

Doubles/Triples Sets
Suicune @ Water Gem / Sitrus Berry
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
nature: Modest
ability: Pressure
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Tailwind
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power Electric
- Protect / Hidden Power Electric
  • Suicune is very useful as a bulky Tailwind user, with its excellent bulk and typing. Surf and Ice Beam allow it to become somewhat of an offensive threat, and Hidden Power Electric hits opposing Water-types for super effective damage. Hydro Pump doesn't do spread damage and its accuracy leaves something to be wanted, but it's far more powerful than Surf.
  • Water Gem makes Surf quite powerful, and with rain support, Suicune can be a reasonably powerful attacker. However, a Sitrus Berry greatly increases Suicune's longevity, and as such makes a good item choice as well.
  • Icy Wind does usable damage, slows down the opponent until they switch out, and while it doesn't boost your entire team, it is not stopped by Taunt, unlike Tailwind, and makes a usable attack for that reason.
  • Suicune makes an excellent partner for Abomasnow with its resistance to Water-type attacks and huge bulk, and with Hail, it can remove rain from a Politoed switch in and spam Blizzard.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i claim full credit for the creation of tailwind suicune

everything looks fine, maybe a regular rain with no tailwind set would work as well

its pretty much dead weight in gbu singles, so doubles/triples sets are the way to go

keep up the good work!

Don't forget to mention Icy Wind as an option, it's very useful on Suicune. Also you forgot the Atk stat.

Although I'm not recommending this as a useful set since it's a gimmick, I have used this suicune before:

Suicune
RELAXED
+Pressure+
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Psych Up
-ExtremeSpeed
-Waterfall
-Protect

I never actually used it in the GBU, though I built a team for it and Entei. It worked fairly well on one of the PO servers, but not as well on the Smogon one. The premise was Belly Drum + Psych Up, then sweep. Still very much a gimmick, but I'm fond of it.

Hydro pump should be slashed in with surf. Not every uses water resistant partners, and a gemed pump is waaaaay more powerful, than surf. Also note, Suicune can work in a hail team, giving abama enough speed to outrun and damage many with blizzard. Also Abama has pretty good synergy with cune.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't forget to mention Icy Wind as an option, it's very useful on Suicune. Also you forgot the Atk stat.

Although I'm not recommending this as a useful set since it's a gimmick, I have used this suicune before:

Suicune
RELAXED
+Pressure+
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Psych Up
-ExtremeSpeed
-Waterfall
-Protect

I never actually used it in the GBU, though I built a team for it and Entei. It worked fairly well on one of the PO servers, but not as well on the Smogon one. The premise was Belly Drum + Psych Up, then sweep. Still very much a gimmick, but I'm fond of it.
just don't think this is viable enough to be worth it. i see it as very high risk, with not much reward. although it might've worked on po a few times, i feel like it's not worth the set up as you could potentially be out of 2 pokemon if the gimmick fails, which is just too steep a cost.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hydro Pump is now slashed because it really is quite powerful.

As for a straight up rain attacker, while Suicune certainly can play such a role, it's really outclassed by Kingdra and Ludicolo. While neither of them have Suicune's bulk, they both have better movepools, attacking stats, and typings, meaning that Suicune is pretty much 100% outclassed outside of Tailwind. In addition, Suicune pretty much has all of its attacking options already listed, so there wouldn't really be too much of a difference between the listed and a full-on attacking set.

Hail teams have issues with Steel-types, and while Suicune can hit Metagross and co. reasonably hard with its Water-type STAB, a partner such as Chandelure is more suited for the role by using Trick Room and with access to Heat Wave. Suicune isn't really the best partner for Abomasnow.

EDIT: With Hail, though, it's an excellent way to maintain the weather and allow Suicune to spam Blizzard, so added.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
For Singles:

Suicune @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, Spd)
- Sheer Cold
- Scald
- Rest / Double Team
- Sleep Talk / Substitute / Rest

I think I'd like to use this opportunity to post away one of the most frustrating Suicune sets out there. With immense bulk, Suicune can get a lot of opportunities to fire off Sheer Colds, and Rest/Sleep Talk just makes it live even longer and somewhat fix Sheer Cold's PP issue. Double Team and Substitute is another approach to adding up the pain, and combined with Scald's burn...well, have fun.

Suicune learns Tailwind as a level up move.

Also, I didn't mean to recommend Psych Up-Suicune, only bring it up as a set that HAS been used, whether or not it was used well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)