Regionals to be in November and April!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
so do those that finish 2nd in the US regionals also TRE I doubt it because if you look at the bottom it says this

I believe he means that there is no cap on players at Nats. For the past 2 years it has been a closed event where you need to earn an invitation to play but now it may just be everyone that shows up gets to play.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I believe he means that there is no cap on players at Nats. For the past 2 years it has been a closed event where you need to earn an invitation to play but now it may just be everyone that shows up gets to play.
Yeah, this seems the most likely case at the moment. Although I can see them adding some kind of limit, such as the limit of 1024 players at the Regional tournaments. What will be interesting to see is how the National tournaments change. Do you think it'll become a straight Single Elimination tournament like the European Nationals? There's also the possibility of no more best-of-three if this happens.

They could run it to match the TCG: Turn it into a 3 day event, and make it a swiss tournament. Day 1 would run 5~ swiss rounds, Day 2 would run the last 4~ and play Top 64/128 matches until the Top 16, and Day 3 would finish it up. It runs pretty well in the TCG, and is really well timed. By doing this, we can get a lot of people to play and play a lot more games. They could run single games for swiss and b2o3 for Top Cut. I also doubt that we'd get more than 1024 VGC players, though they even if we do, I doubt they'll put a cap on the amount of people because this it's a swiss tournament rather than single elim.

Still waiting for the day I can play both :(

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I was referring to how the VGC US Nationals in previous years required an invitation to participate in. The TCG US Nationals in the previous years was open (to everyone who lived in the US) so you didn't need an invite to play in the tournament. I believe last year the TCG US Nationals had an attendance cap but it was a soft one where they would let as many people as they had room for instead of targeting a specific maximum.

The TCG seems to be moving towards requiring a minimum number of "Play! Points" to participate but this won't affect the VGC for at least another year.

Ah ok. Yeah it maybe open like that then. But until they release more info its up in there on what they intend to do and what rules for the tournaments and qualifying for nationals and worlds will be like. Also for regionals I wouldn't mind them getting rid of only x amount of players per division especially in the Masters Division, I mean come on just for each US regional last year the turnout for masters was pretty much the combined total number of players in the Seniors and Juniors.

Regionals attendance will be significantly smaller though, considering that there are only 2 weeks for them and that there will be 7/8 during those two weekends.

WHY!!!!!! I have to say, I'm not looking forward to this type of format. An open Nationals seems too crowded, and kind of defeats the purpose of regionals.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"In good standing".

Quite an ambiguous term. I think I read a post by someone that stated the Championship or Play! Points would not matter this season, but the "in good standing" part makes me wonder. Maybe it'll mean you need to get at least 1 Championship Point (which requires a top 32 finish at a Regional) to be allowed to play? Or maybe just competing and having 5 Play! Points is enough? I'm not fully sure what the TCG does in this regard, but despite the above, it will probably still be open to anyone who shows up on the day.

It'll be interesting to see how points play a part in the future though!

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
3rd & 4th Place

A Pokémon Video Game Regional Championships 3rd or 4th Place medal
Medals for 3rd and 4th at REGIONALS? Pretty awesome. I'd assume the same would be true for Nats.

"In good standing".

Quite an ambiguous term. I think I read a post by someone that stated the Championship or Play! Points would not matter this season, but the "in good standing" part makes me wonder. Maybe it'll mean you need to get at least 1 Championship Point (which requires a top 32 finish at a Regional) to be allowed to play? Or maybe just competing and having 5 Play! Points is enough? I'm not fully sure what the TCG does in this regard, but despite the above, it will probably still be open to anyone who shows up on the day.

It'll be interesting to see how points play a part in the future though!
It just means that players who are banned from tournaments can't play xD The points don't do anything this year, that has been established. In the future, I anticipate they will be used to qualify for Worlds, as in the TCG.

WHY!!!!!! I have to say, I'm not looking forward to this type of format. An open Nationals seems too crowded, and kind of defeats the purpose of regionals.
This change is very beneficial for everyone. It does not "defeat the purpose of regionals" at all, it just makes it less punishing for those who can't make it to any regionals due to schedule or location (OH HI). Doing well at regionals still gives you a large advantage: You get two byes (1st or 2nd) at Nationals and/or you get money to help you travel to Nationals (1st-4th). Please stop being ungrateful and think of others before you make stupid claims like this.

It's easier to get matched up with novices. :3
Yeah and probably going to be best of three. This makes it a lot easier, but there is less of a reason to go to regionals.

I don't like one major thing about this change.

The seniors division this year primarily at Worlds is a really good example of what happens when you have a handful of good people and a handful of bad people in the same division. It really just becomes who plays against who how long can you get lucky with the match ups and this lets people who aren't really that great get farther than those who are better.

No offense to kamz, but he didn't play really good people to get to the top 8 and without playing against me he would have had one of the lowest opponents win % in the whole tournament and that shows a bit how lucky he got with his match ups in the beginning. He simply did not play many good best of three battlers; only situation where I think this is wrong is when he played against Ryan Arnold but he had insanely good team match up in that situation by copying Cybertron's team and argument still goes that if he played nearly anyone else he probably wouldn't have been able to get T8.He also got very lucky in his matches afterwards but that has nothing to do with this

Cybertron and Unreality matched up against each other round one at Worlds and if Unreality played a different opponent, where there were plenty of that weren't that great, he most likely would have gotten T8. V17, if he didn't play against me R1 he probably could have gotten T8 as he was one win away from that. Things like this even happened at the Nationals for Seniors division.

When it comes to Regionals I know this happens in every division but for the most part in the Masters division there are enough people to make it that it is very unlikely that many bad players will make it all the way through. This is only really noticeable in Swiss, but it lets a lot of bad people make it in that shouldn't in normal competition and once again comes down to match ups whether it can possibly be beneficial or not.

EDIT: This is only my thoughts on if the Nationals are open like that. For regionals if they are best of three no matter what that is excellent because that is the biggest problem for regionals with its competitors in my opinion.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i was kind of against these changes at first but it doesn't seem all bad. the only cons are really no nick mccord and split smogon at regionals so less people to see, although that makes nats/worlds even more fun

cant wait for this vgc season, and its only 2 months away!

Yeah and probably going to be best of three. This makes it a lot easier, but there is less of a reason to go to regionals.

I don't like one major thing about this change.

The seniors division this year primarily at Worlds is a really good example of what happens when you have a handful of good people and a handful of bad people in the same division. It really just becomes who plays against who how long can you get lucky with the match ups and this lets people who aren't really that great get farther than those who are better.

No offense to kamz, but he didn't play really good people to get to the top 8 and without playing against me he would have had one of the lowest opponents win % in the whole tournament and that shows a bit how lucky he got with his match ups in the beginning. He simply did not play many good best of three battlers; only situation where I think this is wrong is when he played against Ryan Arnold but he had insanely good team match up in that situation by copying Cybertron's team and argument still goes that if he played nearly anyone else he probably wouldn't have been able to get T8.He also got very lucky in his matches afterwards but that has nothing to do with this

Cybertron and Unreality matched up against each other round one at Worlds and if Unreality played a different opponent, where there were plenty of that weren't that great, he most likely would have gotten T8. V17, if he didn't play against me R1 he probably could have gotten T8 as he was one win away from that. Things like this even happened at the Nationals for Seniors division.

When it comes to Regionals I know this happens in every division but for the most part in the Masters division there are enough people to make it that it is very unlikely that many bad players will make it all the way through. This is only really noticeable in Swiss, but it lets a lot of bad people make it in that shouldn't in normal competition and once again comes down to match ups whether it can possibly be beneficial or not.

EDIT: This is only my thoughts on if the Nationals are open like that. For regionals if they are best of three no matter what that is excellent because that is the biggest problem for regionals with its competitors in my opinion.

The problem is that all of the players in worlds qualified to earn their spot, so basically what you said amounts to "there aren't enough good seniors to fill up worlds", which would seem to indicate that you are advocating for the destruction of the senior division. As for open nationals, the number of swiss rounds will greatly increase due to the increased number of players, so it will be nearly impossible for a "bad" player to make the top cut unless they get extremely lucky repititively, which can never be prevented in a pokemon tournament anyway.

The problem is that all of the players in worlds qualified to earn their spot, so basically what you said amounts to "there aren't enough good seniors to fill up worlds", which would seem to indicate that you are advocating for the destruction of the senior division. As for open nationals, the number of swiss rounds will greatly increase due to the increased number of players, so it will be nearly impossible for a "bad" player to make the top cut unless they get extremely lucky repititively, which can never be prevented in a pokemon tournament anyway.
Yes, there were not enough of good people in the seniors division. That is one part of what I was saying. And with more swiss rounds you get more bad people vs bad people and better chance of going against someone who can ruin your opponents win % early on and if you get unlucky and go against someone good it can mess you up for the remainder of the tournament.

However I am not advocating for the destruction of the senior division as it isn't nearly as much of a joke division as Juniors for the most part. Most of the people in the Senior division aren't really good, but they have a decent enough knowledge of the game. It is middle ground between juniors and masters. So I don't advocate for them to get rid of the Senior Division. Last year most of the people on Smogon/Skarmbliss in the Seniors division are now in the masters division and that alone greatly reduces the competition there and is why I was saying that it was a mixture of good people and mostly bad people.

Also I would like to say that there would be maybe 20-40 of good people in the masters division anyways who will go to Nationals, odds are that some bad people will continue to play against each other, there are more than enough of the 'bad' people to have that happen along with two maybe even three losses getting you into the top cut. We know that always exists, but at nationals previously nearly no one bad could even get top cut, now the chances of that definitely improved against us.

So with this format does that mean that we can only possibly attend two regionals? One in the November one (seeing as there will be multiple events in one day) and the same for the April? I'm kinda sad neither event is in the summer seeing as that's my VGC time.

Also it's kind of annoying that we don't have rules yet. Wish they'd just establish that immediately.

I have to second everything that Human is saying. That mirrors my concerns exactly. For examply, my swill rounds at nats were polarized that I had to fight Kid Kadabra (which was a close match I lost due to an untimely miss) and Lucian Lachance (who outright beat me). After that all I could get was noobs, and one other person who beat me, and I was at the lower end of the 4-3ers due to fighting 4 noobs who went like 2-5 each. I am absolutely not advocating the destruction of Seniors (This can happen in Masters (maybe even Juniors) too), but more swiss means more luck. I don't know for sure, considering the fact that no one really knows anything besides format, so I guess we'll have to just wait and see. Maybe nats will fill up with noobs and we'll all be lucky.
And @theamericandream38: Nothing is beneficial for everyone in a subject this polarized, so either shut up, or try to look at it from both sides. I'm not saying everything is bad about the new format.

I have to second everything that Human is saying. That mirrors my concerns exactly. For examply, my swill rounds at nats were polarized that I had to fight Kid Kadabra (which was a close match I lost due to an untimely miss) and Lucian Lachance (who outright beat me). After that all I could get was noobs, and one other person who beat me, and I was at the lower end of the 4-3ers due to fighting 4 noobs who went like 2-5 each. I am absolutely not advocating the destruction of Seniors (This can happen in Masters (maybe even Juniors) too), but more swiss means more luck. I don't know for sure, considering the fact that no one really knows anything besides format, so I guess we'll have to just wait and see. Maybe nats will fill up with noobs and we'll all be lucky.
And @theamericandream38: Nothing is beneficial for everyone in a subject this polarized, so either shut up, or try to look at it from both sides. I'm not saying everything is bad about the new format.
I literally do not understand what you want. You complain about swiss (both this year and last), so what do you want, SINGLE FUCKING ELIMINATION? There is nothing better than swiss, it allows players who get unlucky once or twice to still make top cut instead of just being out of the tournament. Human, you benefitted from swiss this past year as you lost in round 1 and still made top 8. I do not understand what the problem is ._.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Swiss is kind of like democracy - it doesn't always work, but it's still better than the other options. I'm all for this change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)