Sableye

Meltra

formerly Himanattsu
Yes, this set can easily stall out Latias, Starmie, Tyranitar, Swampert, Scizor, Haxorus, and much more with a turn or two of setup.

anyone who uses sablye should just get shanked. It really does just screw over Heavy offense, Priority Will o whisp and taunt is just like a knife to pokemon like mence and Luke

anyone who uses sablye should just get shanked. It really does just screw over Heavy offense, Priority Will o whisp and taunt is just like a knife to pokemon like mence and Luke
darmanitan, infernape, any fire type, any strong special attacker, magic guard, magic bounce...

also, specsmence, specscario, nasty plot lucario etc
sableye sucks.

darmanitan, infernape, any fire type, any strong special attacker, magic guard, magic bounce...

also, specsmence, specscario, nasty plot lucario etc
sableye sucks.
Have you played with HO? If the opponent gets Sableye in on any of your Pokemon that are screwed by it (read: a good portion of your team), then you just lost your momentum, have likely wasted a turn of screens, and if they taunt you can't set up behind however many turns of screens you have left.

I'm not saying Sableye is the greatest thing to ever happen, which it totally is not, but saying it sucks is just ignorant.

I use a non Sub set that has a Focus Sash on it. Substitute just takes away a good move from Saybleye Effectivness. Substitute is useful but not needed.

If you try to use it in OU.
Conkeldurr destroys it with guts and payback.
That and every special attacker.

In UU he might be useful.

I used a Wow/Recover/Trick/Snarl with max spdef @ Lagging Tail.
Things that bring me down are fire type pokes and crits. Once the enemy catches on no taunt and sets up on me it gets more tricky. But obviously replace trick with taunt if you like.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Sableye still sucks it's just a thorn in the opposing players side. It just spams residual damage like a nubcake.

I love this little demon but I don't really have any place for it on my team. I couldn't imagine Sableye's any worse off without Excadrill. Especially considering the surge that all DW players know is coming...

Saying Sableye sucks is pretty narrow-minded. I had a rather glaring weakness to physical landorous/CB Terra/Luke, added Sableye to my team and patched it up very nicely.

Also, barring the one or two Guts mons that you see around and fire types you can literally solo teams that rely on strong physical attacks with Sableye once you remove the fire types.

Sableye needs to get more usage, it along with a couple other UU gems just don't see as much play as they really should. I will confidently stand and say that Sableye just ruins the majority of HO teams. Scizor after a burn fails to even 3HKO sableye allowing ample time to recover the damage. Most spinners cannot hope to break through Sableye making it a very reliable spin blocker. Combined with a bit of poison and fire-killing support this thing can prove to be impassable for a lot of teams. If you pair it up with SubDD Nite then many teams can find themselves in a simply un-winnable position once their mons have been burned/poisoned.

The set I run is:

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Bold
252 Hp | 252 SpD | 4 Def
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

Bold is there to ensure scizor is never able to score a 2HKO with bullet punch through a burn (who could otherwise come in and BP once before being burned and once after for a possible although unlikely 2HKO), and to ensure that CBTerra is only able to score around 50% on a max roll through a burn, allowing you to PP stall stone edge. The rest is to maximize bulk on the special end, so things like a LO starmie using surf over hydro pump can be stalled out with LO recoil and burn.

It requires good team support to work well, but things that force a lot of switches, good hazard support, and especially good poison support and one or two other solid walls will form a very solid defensive core for any team to work with. For those interested, try a bulky DDNite and bulky Heatran with toxic support and watch the rage quits roll in.

tehy

Banned deucer.
But with sub, you can't even attack with night shade. Besides, i always have better things to do on the switch with sableye than sub.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
DarkVision's set is without doubt the best one Sableye can run in the OU tier.

Sableye is supposed to stay around for a long time, which makes it very vulnerable to critical hits.
As it lacks the bulk to wistand them, Sub is a necessity.
What's the point of burning your opponent when it can just spam attacks until he gets a crit?

Sableye has no business attacking, its job is to stop physical attackers and stall, plain and simple. It's not like it cares about Taunt either, because it will Taunt the opponent first.
If you're not running Sub you're better off using a generic physical wall like Skarmory or Slowbro.

its really to bad that an opponent can just stall you out by repeatedly switching as sableye has no attacking moves, i really think that the original set is much better than a sub set as you can run foul play to prevent that.

IMO, Foul Play isn't worth using any more than Night Shade, since a boosted Salamence/Dragonite would KO you anyway, and things like Reuniclus aren't hit very hard with Foul Play anyway.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IMO, Foul Play isn't worth using any more than Night Shade, since a boosted Salamence/Dragonite would KO you anyway, and things like Reuniclus aren't hit very hard with Foul Play anyway.
I use foul play for its ability to hit normal types (and do over 100 damage), but that doesnt mean that night shade cannot be used for a more consistent method of damage.

I actually found Foul Play to be rather cute. Under dual screens, my Sableye was able to survive a +2 Thunderbolt from Azelf and a subsequent Flare Blitz from Darmanitan, and owned both of them with Foul Play.

Taunt is utterly necessary in UU, where Sableye can use it to prevent Hitmontop/Blastoise from using Foresight, as well as preventing hazards from being setup.

Foul Play gets STAB and has a great 95 BP, LOZam is 2HKO'd by Foul Play (79.7 - 94%) while it needs to rely on a SpDef drop to beat Sableye iirc. Definitely worth a slot over Night Shade IMO. In OU though, that's a completely different story...

Foul Play is good in UU since it's full of Psychic types with high attack like Victini, Mew and Azelf. I'd probably use it over Taunt or Sub since Sableye can actually abuse its immunities in that tier where Psychic, Normal and Fighting attacks are everywhere.
But in OU, no Sub equals to suicide in my opinion.
I disagree with you. Sableye has to lose an important moveslot for the move when Sableye can avoid status, bar a Scald, with Taunt an cripple walls, physical/bulky boosters and a burnt +6 attack poke is more manegeable than a +6 attack poke with no burn.

About Night Shade/ Foul Play I think both are important. Both have advantages and disadvantages(in OU)

I tried Sub on Prankster Sableye months ago on DW tier and it don't convince me.

I use this. Tox/WoW/Night Shade/Recover. A nature that increases weaker def, max hp, 12 in speed and rest in def to even them out. Should I move some evs ? And what set should I use ?

I use this. Tox/WoW/Night Shade/Recover. A nature that increases weaker def, max hp, 12 in speed and rest in def to even them out. Should I move some evs ? And what set should I use ?
Yeah, full status is the way to go. Will-o-wisp can cripple any phsyical sweepers, and you can recover off the damage with priority recover. Same goes for toxic, although you have to be aware that the opposing pokemon will be doing the same damage.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
try taunt over will-o-wisp, otherwise, looks good!

So what are people's opinions/experiences on Night Shade vs Foul Play in OU? I've become curious after I learned how many things Foul Play actually outdamages such as: Alakazam, Reuniclus (both OTR and Bold CM), Gengar, SpDefensive Jirachi, SD Virizion if you're gutsy, Volcarona and Bronzong on occasion, and the obvious Blissey and Chansey. I've only had experience with Night Shade and am trying Foul Play currently, but was curious what other people know about it from their own playing.

Since the topic came up recently here I thought I'd try starting discussion on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)