Make an actual ban list

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/bw/
http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/

Since we started banning things that aren't pokemon, our tier lists on-site are out of date. Things like Drought and SmashPass aren't listed as banned anywhere on the site. People use SmashPass in NU on the server and I have to get called into battles to kick people, because nobody knows what is banned in the tiers. If our server and website can't even keep up with how fast we ban everything, we can't expect our players to either, so I think we should add a page somewhere on the site that lists everything that is banned tier-by-tier. Then we could link it at the top of the server for everyone to easily see. Something like http://www.smogon.com/bw/banlists would be easy to make and easy to update.

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Agree on making the rules for each metagame easily accessible.

I have been tracking the ban changes and compiling them for wifi battlers in the wifi battles subforum. Perhaps this can be a starting point for a banlist page on-site?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to see any potential ban page also link to the vote/discussion or include a brief synopsis of why such a ban exists. It would help bring newer users up to speed on our thought process, or why the rule helps balance the game, and would just be more organized.

I would like to see any potential ban page also link to the vote/discussion or include a brief synopsis of why such a ban exists. It would help bring newer users up to speed on our thought process, or why the rule helps balance the game, and would just be more organized.
Seconding this as well, it'd probably stop idiots who are like "lol why is garchomp banned my starmie can ohko that bastard"

I have felt for a long time we need a Policy Review archive on-site. It's true you can look for the threads, but rule changes / policy changes should be visible and easily referenced for newcomers and seasoned users alike. This hypothetical page would link to posts where consensus was reached (like vote results, admins closing a thread and stating the conclusion, threads that announce new changes) in chronological order. The ban-list is a natural extension of that and would consolidate these decisions. It would also make it very easy to look at past phases of the metagame for tournaments, policy discussion, and people who are just plain interested. I like the suggestions of adding summaries as well. The need for this is made even more urgent by the fact that without SCMS access you can't look at old news entries.

Okay, I don't see how anyone could disagree with this. After all, this site's main purpose is to inform its users; I say this should totally be a thing!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
From conversation on IRC it looked like someone was working on this? Would be good to see a post that they are I think. Obviously agree with the sentiments in the OP. Our rules for most custom metagames are more convoluted than the way of getting Mew in RBY at this point and we need a place to refer to.

if an admin creates the page, i had planned on doing this (was talking to bloo) .. if someone else wants to idgaf, they can have at it then

guess im a fuck and dont like to wait as i do shit

http://www.smogon.com/bw/banlist/

is this what you had in mind? i dont really think each tier needs its own page so i had just planned on putting them altogether

im using wild eeps list because hes fucking awesome and made it really easy

im also a fuck and named it home which in retrospect doesnt look that good...but w/e

ill also be adding pictures and then work on getting it as like part of the dex or something I DONT KNOW

also misty is fucking awesome too

might need to mention that bans extend to the tier(s) below them, so for example drizzleswim would be illegal in UU (not like poli's gonna drop anytime soon) and smashpass is banned in NU

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Right, I made some changes. I decided to list Ubers first, and each lower tier below it. I put the main clauses in ubers and added and note that they apply in all tiers below, as well. Likewise, I put Moody in ubers and said it's banned everywhere. I put Aboma and Snover banned in UU.

Now the main thing is: does this banlist need to list every tier above it. As in "A team cannot have any of the Pokemon found in "[the tiers above it]" with links to each tier? From a consistency perspective, yes, but would that cause unnecessary clutter?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Having the other generations wouldn't hurt just to be comprehensive. All the banlist needs is to be added into the article section or the b/w tab list so it can be found after the news story has been long gone.

unless I'm blind and can't find it otherwise.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Thanks to V0x this page can now be found by following the main BW page found here.

I'm sure we'll eventually add details regarding bans in various generations or metagames (Clear Skies/Dream World) in the near future so stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)