VGC Articles PLEASE READ

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
While we have a great staff and group of people producing a large number of sets and Pokemon analyses, VGC is sorely lacking in articles, whether it be a beginner's introduction to VGC or the explanation of various moves and their utility in the doubles/VGC format. Starting now we're going to start a drive to create these articles so VGC can hopefully have a large resource of information for not just beginners to Pokemon and VGC but seasoned veterans who could learn a thing or two.

Please use this thread to suggest article topics that you would like to write and if we feel it would help contribute then we will give you the go ahead to write and post that article. Even if you don't feel like writing an article, do not be afraid to suggest an article and hopefully we can find a writer willing to produce that subject.

Articles list:
Introduction to VGC - Cybertron

Team Preview - R Inanimate

Anti-Metagame - GARCHOMPZILLA

Play Style Guides:
Sun - TrollFreak/JRank
Goodstuff -
Trick Room - http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3454669

Protect/Switching Guide -

Speed Tiers - muffinhead - Already on-site

Threat list - Eraddd?

I would love to write an Introduction to VGC article Paul, let me know if I can! I've also been toying around with video editing lately and could make a video to go along with that.

I also think an article about the top players in the game would be certainly interesting to read, although not as helpful to beginners. Still, it would really be neat for the future and I'll also volunteer for writing that :D

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
A guide to each playstyle in VGC (Trick Room, Tailwind, and all kinds of weather) is also very usuful to beginners

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this already gives a crash course in doubles, but really only helps the brand new players

i started a trick room article, couldnt finish it on my own, but solace and danny disappeared. its in gen 5 articles still i think.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I think an article with regards to Team Preview, and the concept of "Bring 6, Choose 4" would be interesting.

Some points to consider for the article would include:
-Team Preview being more than just seeing the opponent party and choosing which of your 6 to lead off with
-Reading what kind of overall team strategy you can expect based on the opponent's lineup
-Generic tips on what you can expect the opponent will bring to the battle (eg. you can expect the opponent to bring their weather changer if you show signs of being a rain/sun team, though they won't necessarily lead with it)
-Importance of choosing a proper lead pair in a battle
-Addressing possible misconceptions people have about Team Preview (eg. having a Zoroark sit on the bench as a bluff will mess up people's thinking when selecting their Pokemon)

I could do A couple of sets that don't involve weather but counter them and are based on how to defeat all the typical strategies people use.

Also how to know your opponents team and their strategy from just a quick glance (aka team preveiw but at vgc's) and some basic things to know when creating a team (like what counters what and which pokemon work well together).

makiri

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would love to write an Introduction to VGC article Paul, let me know if I can! I've also been toying around with video editing lately and could make a video to go along with that.

I also think an article about the top players in the game would be certainly interesting to read, although not as helpful to beginners. Still, it would really be neat for the future and I'll also volunteer for writing that :D
You have my go ahead on the Introduction, and I would love to see the media if you can come up with anything, should be a helpful tool. Make sure you look at muffinhead and Cassie's article, don't make them too similar. Wait on the top players article for now.

A guide to each playstyle in VGC (Trick Room, Tailwind, and all kinds of weather) is also very usuful to beginners
Instead of just one article covering all playstyles I think several articles with more in depth looks at each playstyle would be fantastic. If you would like to write any of these let me know.

this already gives a crash course in doubles, but really only helps the brand new players

i started a trick room article, couldnt finish it on my own, but solace and danny disappeared. its in gen 5 articles still i think.
If you could finish that Trick Room article that would be fantastic. And while I think your article is good, it just seems a tad short and really just covers the basics like you said.

I think an article with regards to Team Preview, and the concept of "Bring 6, Choose 4" would be interesting.

Some points to consider for the article would include:
-Team Preview being more than just seeing the opponent party and choosing which of your 6 to lead off with
-Reading what kind of overall team strategy you can expect based on the opponent's lineup
-Generic tips on what you can expect the opponent will bring to the battle (eg. you can expect the opponent to bring their weather changer if you show signs of being a rain/sun team, though they won't necessarily lead with it)
-Importance of choosing a proper lead pair in a battle
-Addressing possible misconceptions people have about Team Preview (eg. having a Zoroark sit on the bench as a bluff will mess up people's thinking when selecting their Pokemon)
This is a great, if you want to write it let me know.

I could do A couple of sets that don't involve weather but counter them and are based on how to defeat all the typical strategies people use.

Also how to know your opponents team and their strategy from just a quick glance (aka team preveiw but at vgc's) and some basic things to know when creating a team (like what counters what and which pokemon work well together).
An Anti-Metagame article sounds great, if you would like to write that let me know.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Instead of just one article covering all playstyles I think several articles with more in depth looks at each playstyle would be fantastic. If you would like to write any of these let me know.
Yea, thats what i meant.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I'll see what I can do with writing the Team Preview article.

Also another idea I thought up:
An article for effective usage of Protect and Switches in a Double Battle.

Or in otherwords, performing effective defensive plays in Double Battles.
I doubt I'll be trying to write this one though.

I would also like to write on how to know a person's team a first sight or good teambuilding, if that's possible. If not thats fine with me.

makiri

Yea, thats what i meant.
Well if you would like to write any of these please don't be afraid to go for it, but do let me know which you want to do so I don't double assign things.

I'll see what I can do with writing the Team Preview article.

Also another idea I thought up:
An article for effective usage of Protect and Switches in a Double Battle.

Or in otherwords, performing effective defensive plays in Double Battles.
I doubt I'll be trying to write this one though.
Awesome. That does sound like an excellent article idea, people think doubles is pretty mindless, detailing how switching is actually a very good strategy could be a good read.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
I can write a article to sun, i would do trick room, but muffinhead already has that

I would be glad to help out in anyway I could. I'm more experience in Goodstuffs than anything else so if it's possible I would love to write an article on that. If unavailable, I could write a rough draft on protecting and switching.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
A suggestion could be countering top threats as a vgc team can't counter everything it'd be nice to give pointers on countering the more common pokemon(metagross,zapdos,hitmontop,latios,cresselia) so newer players can be prepared when versing threats that are bound to appear.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
makiri said:
TrollFreak said:
I can write a article to sun, i would do trick room, but muffinhead already has that

If you give me permission, i'll start writing it in the Gen 5 Artilce Section
You have my permission to write a Sun article, but I do want you to put it in the VGC analysis section since this is a VGC project for the moment.
I'll start over the weekend

makiri

I would be glad to help out in anyway I could. I'm more experience in Goodstuffs than anything else so if it's possible I would love to write an article on that. If unavailable, I could write a rough draft on protecting and switching.
You can feel free to write the Goodstuff article. Let's do one article at a time for now.

A suggestion could be countering top threats as a vgc team can't counter everything it'd be nice to give pointers on countering the more common pokemon(metagross,zapdos,hitmontop,latios,cresselia) so newer players can be prepared when versing threats that are bound to appear.
This sorta fits into the Anti-Metagame article.

I was planning on doing something like this myself lol.

HOW TO WIN AT POKÉMON

Pretty much. But touching on some ANCIENT MILITARY STRATEGY and some other general things that I actually always use when I'm making a team.

Yeah I actually use ancient military strategy to make my teams. I'm not joking. See this face?

Serious.

Was planning on saving it till after Birmingham though since it kind of gives away my team and everything, and I really do need that flight to hawaii this year.

makiri

Lol, ok Zog, whenever you feel is the right time to publish it that would be great.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Oh I just noticed muffinhead dropped the Trick Room article he was working on, if it's alright I'd like to take over that. TR is amazing <3

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
I'm still working on my Team Preview article. It's kind of tough to spell out a lot of the stuff that I probably take for granted, but I think it's coming along pretty well. I'll post what I have written so far later today. I'm sort of drawing a blank on what to add for the following sections that I want to add to the article:

A. Making Predictions on the Pokemon that your opponent will use
(looking for some general tips, since a lot of this is based on you knowing your own team well)

B. Things not to do with regard to Team Preview

If you guys have any suggestions on what I should try to add to these two sections, feel free to send me a PM, or post in the topic:
EDIT: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3461969

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)