Contribution to the Delinquency of a Minor: Game Corner Games

We all love the music, and sometimes the games are pretty cool too. There's also some bitchin' TMs up for grabs if you have the luck, or more often the dough.

Slot machines are frustrating as hell. Main reason to get Blue over Red: Porygon is only 6500 coins, as opposed to needing a full purse to get him in Red. I have never once gotten a Reel Time bonus in RSE...yes, I know they're rigged, but I can still hate on them for it.

The other distractions are more based on mathematical probability. GSC's card flip game was probably the only one that had decent odds, even if the rate at which one managed to win coins was painfully slow. RSE's roulette was a cool idea, but again, not as much fun as the card flip. I never spent much time in the DPP corner, though.

HGSS's contribution was a neat little distraction called Voltorb Flip. Basically a combination of Minesweeper and Kakuro, you're given a 5x5 array of cards, each of which hides 1, 2, 3 or Voltorb. The first time you flip a number in a round, you get that many coins, and each number after that multiplies your winnings by that number. The goal is to find all the 2s and 3s before flipping a Voltorb (this is where the minesweeper comes in). The information you get beforehand tells you how many Voltorb are in a given row/column, as well as the sum of the numbers. If you manage to deduce that a particular card is a Voltorb, you can mark it as such. All in all, it's a fun exercise in logic, and you don't even have to pay to play. Level 5 or so is where your luck/skill really starts to get pressed.

I never really got into Game Corner games until HGSS, where I played quite a lot of Voltorb Flip. I still sucked at it, but after a few hours of trying, and developing a certain tactic, I still managed to get my Dratini. Great way to kill time.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The slots in DPP Are so, so, so easy. Once you get on a roll with Clefairy, pretty much just follow its directions. Lose your streak? Start over again until you get a new streak. It usually took me at the very most a half hour to fill the purse.

The only games where I actually went to the Game Corner in was FRLG and HGSS. I personally prefer Voltorb Flip, since it's not completely up to luck. A while ago while I was waiting for Baoba to call me for the Safari Zone blocks in HG, I spent ~2 hours playing Voltorb Flip. I can't remember how many coins I earned (probably a small amount) but I remember getting to Level 4... I never said I was good ;P

Slot machines suck. Although, it does make me happy when I get three 7s!

I might try the roulette in RSE once I feel like playing Gen III again.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I remember playing the D/P slot machines a bit... then getting the Clefairy.

Excited, naïve me thought: "Yay, Explosion TM!" and followed its directions. It didn't feel like I had any sort of control of what happened, I followed the directions and won. I was one single turn away from getting the TM...

... Then suddenly, somehow, its directions were wrong and I lost. Game over.

Also, I remember raging a little when I found out that Voltorb Flip was the ONLY way to earn coins in HGSS. The most useful TMs ever were also insanely expensive, it took an eternity to get to afford one of them (where were I supposed to get 10,000 coins from? I had the money, dammit!). In comparison, FR/LG practically handed them out for free.

Oh, and as mentioned... the music. It's been awesome in every generation I can remember it from.

The slots are actually pretty easy to abuse; certainly the ones in FR/LG at any rate. Hitting triple 7s became fairly consistent :L

Voltorb Flip was tons of fun, although frustrating at later levels. I think the highest I reached was level 9, but at that point you essentially are reduced to guessing, maybe marking a few safe spots before you inevitably tap a Voltorb you had no logical way of finding. Took a while to earn the TMs, especially after the ease I'd experienced with FR/LG, but it beat the Game Corner in Platinum!

Platinum was the worst Game Corner ever. Check the machines to see if some coins have been left behind! Wow, this is a fun game, isn't it? The ENTIRE GAME is based on gambling, people! Removing the slot machines is not going to dissuade people from gambling! Having them in isn't going to convince them to! When your Stone Edge misses that's just as big a gamble as anything gah forget it. It was just horrible.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the highest I reached was level 9
i know for a fact that voltorb flip only goes up to a maximum of level 8 (where each win nets you 1500-2500 coins) so perhaps you're misremembering it

but yeah they should just allow you to buy the coins if you have enough money, nothing wrong with that, especially if they want to bypass the whole 'kids are gambling' issue

i know for a fact that voltorb flip only goes up to a maximum of level 8 (where each win nets you 1500-2500 coins) so perhaps you're misremembering it
Probably. It's been a long time since I played. Unpleasant memories of repeatedly failing first flip at high levels being repressed, perhaps? :p

I imported Japanese versions of HGSS. In Japan, there was no voltorb flip, instead they just had slots. It's alot easier to get coins in large amounts.

Voltorb Flip is the best game in existence, although it gets really annoying at high levels when you flip over a voltorb on the first turn. Flamethrowers, Ice Beams and Thunderbolts only take about an hour or two on the game for me :D

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Flamethrowers, Ice Beams and Thunderbolts only take about an hour or two on the game for me :D
That's one of my key problems with this game - if you manage to get a TM within an hour, you're fast.

In FR/LG one could stroll around with the VS Seeker and the Amulet Coin on Resort Gorgeous, and haul in the money for the TMs in ten minutes. Counting the trip to get there.

i hope B/W2 has a game corner since New Jersey has the biggest gambling spots on that part of the the US.

Agreed. Although hopefully it won't be something stupid like the slot machines. Maybe something like Voltorb Flip, except it gives you more coins. Or maybe some new game. Just not the slot machines.

breh

強いだね
In RSE I never used the slot machines; tms cost about 80,000 (iirc?) pokedollars worth of coins, a value that is really not very difficult to get by the point that you get to mauville.

Also yes DPP's is easy as fuck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)