Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (All Generations)

I remember when I finally beat blue.... It really is an emotional game. The music is flawless. Best pokemon spinoff series by far.
When I beat my blue, I was a charmander, with pikachu as my partner.

And then there was mystery dungeon sky. Truly an excellent game. The whole game was so emotional and powerful, it really was the only video game to ever get me all choked up. I was squirtle, my partner cyndaquil. I loved how there is so much to do.

I was really proud when I defeated darkrai, and I thought that was an appropriate grand grand finale. I like how they don't just say darkrai realizes what he did wrong, he loses his memory after palkia, like a boss, comes in and attacks him as he tries to escape.

Long live Grovyle.

So yesterday me and DTC decided to do a run through of PMD Explorers of Time / Darkness. He has meowth / Turtwig as his team and I'm runnin Munchlax / Totodile and so far its been really fun. We've invited a few other people to join us and have been documenting our process on irc and here. We've imposed a few restrictions on ourselves to make it more interesting and it has been a challenge so far. It's really been a lot of fun and its revived the series for me, I'm really hoping they come out with another one soon. One that makes me cry like the past two.

I'm really hoping they come out with another one soon. One that makes me cry like the past two.
Oh yes! A new PMD on the 3DS/DS would be so great... I just hope it's more like the first two rather than EoT/D/S if there is a new one. I didn't really like the whole guild thing, and I enjoyed the friend area aspect. Also, I like the idea of rescue teams better than exploration teams. However, I do think that recruitment rates in B/RRT were ridiculous. And it would've been nice if B/RRT had outlaws to capture.

Yes. We all cried. I get that.

(Does anyone else know that Celebi can't be shiny in the main series, except in Gen II?)

Ok so I started a new game in PMD EoT since I really really wanted to try Skitty, and I'm actually having more fun than I thought I would!

I'm a Skitty and my partner is a Torchic, so I decided to create a rescue team that's identical to May's team from the anime (aside from movesets), since she's my second favorite female protagonist; next to Misty. We are Team Haruka, and I didn't get Normalize but that's ok. Cute Charm is cool because random infatuations are awesome. I plan to use a set of Tail Whip + Double Slap, Blizzard, and Assist lol.

I'm currently at Apple Woods. Once I get access to Mt. Horn I want to recruit a Beautifly (Silver Wind is awesome). But I don't remember if I can recruit teammates during the guild's exploration :/

I distinctly recall not being able to recruit during the exploration. You're gonna have to wait until you can return there.

Also what do you mean you didn't get normalize? You get both abilities at once in PMD games.

so i wanna start my PMD RRT again...

i wanna be a cubone but i cant decide on the partner...

charmander, totdile, or squirtle?

I distinctly recall not being able to recruit during the exploration. You're gonna have to wait until you can return there.

Also what do you mean you didn't get normalize? You get both abilities at once in PMD games.
Oh, that sucks. I don't want it to be under leveled :/ Maybe I'll just recruit it in a later dungeon.

:o Sorry lol... I wasn't aware that you get both abilities. I just assumed you only got one since I saw the effects of Cute Charm. But now that I recall, I remember seeing a "It's not very effective!" message after using my regular attack on a Lileep, so that should've been a hint to me. Thanks for letting me know!

Bluemon, Totodile/Squirtle Imo. If you pick Charmander you'll have two mons weak to water.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok so I started a new game in PMD EoT since I really really wanted to try Skitty, and I'm actually having more fun than I thought I would!

I'm a Skitty and my partner is a Torchic, so I decided to create a rescue team that's identical to May's team from the anime (aside from movesets), since she's my second favorite female protagonist; next to Misty. We are Team Haruka, and I didn't get Normalize but that's ok. Cute Charm is cool because random infatuations are awesome. I plan to use a set of Tail Whip + Double Slap, Blizzard, and Assist lol.

I'm currently at Apple Woods. Once I get access to Mt. Horn I want to recruit a Beautifly (Silver Wind is awesome). But I don't remember if I can recruit teammates during the guild's exploration :/
I played this and it is crazy hard. Either way, I am very admiring of you as you got waaaaaay further than me haha

i love pmd games
favourite spin-off games for sure
in time/darkness/sky my favourites are palkia (spacial rend, concentrator, gap prober, absolute mover and its item, air blade), Drifblim (unburden, ominous wind), Zangoose (STAB on high power moves like slash, and very high attack), dialga (roar of time, aggressor, and its awesome final iq skill time skip or something), and ninetales (trap seer, quick striker, and heat wave if you can be patient enough to get an egg. i also found some 'wondermail generators':

T/D http://www.upokecenter.com/games/dungeon2/guides/wondermail.php
Sky http://apointlessplace.net/wms/wmgenerate.html

I loved the whole mystery dungeon series, however I hated monster house! That is, until I discovered Vacuum-Cut...>:3

Yes. We all cried. I get that.

(Does anyone else know that Celebi can't be shiny in the main series, except in Gen II?)
@Part in parenthesis: It's still said some shiny Celebi's at some point existed somewhere during the 3rd/4th gen. Someone got a hack check done on their shiny celebi and it was legit (Source can be provided later if need be). I mean it could be an excellent hack though. I'm thinking it may by Ageato (Or something along that spelling) that had a chance of being shiny.

Also to make post relevant to topic.
Started RRT again and blazed through with Charmander and Squirtle. Got to end game recruited the legendary birds and mew first try. But I think my game is stuck because the only post game events I've done are Stormy Sea, Mew Dungeon, and Sky Blue Plains and all that's happening now is I can do rescue missions only. I even bought the place for the lati's and still nothing. Considering this a glitch and mildly tempted to start again.

What were your favorite mystery dungeon moments?
I only played darkness :( My favorite part was the ending though, and yeah, I did cry. Even though I only played one, PMD is certainly one of my favorite games, even compared to games like Portal 2 and Minecraft.
Starters?
Charmander and squirtle. Certianly are a good combo.
Recruitment?
...I barely even recruited any pokemon before I got to Prime Dialga. I don't know why, just didn't feel like it :P
Most Strongthest Team You Ever Made?
A darkrai. Alone. Even though it was just one pokemon, I still felt like it was OP'd. You could put pokemon to sleep (and hurt them with bad dreams) You could also walk through walls. Is that not overpowered? :P

A darkrai. Alone. Even though it was just one pokemon, I still felt like it was OP'd. You could put pokemon to sleep (and hurt them with bad dreams) You could also walk through walls. Is that not overpowered? :P
Yeah, Darkrai is pretty great. It also has the best IQ skill, other than Absolute Mover and Fast Friend (which isn't for battling): Time Tripper. Time Tripper allows Darkrai to move twice in one turn, which is insane. It also has Intimidater which prevents Pokemon from attacking it sometimes, and Aggressor which makes it incredibly strong, but frail.

The only Pokemon that shares the same IQ group as Darkrai is Dialga. Dialga has Intimidater and Aggressor (this is why it's so strong yet somewhat frail when you fight it) when you fight it.

The IQ groups are pretty interesting. I don't like the fact that Palkia is the only Pokemon with Absolute Mover, though.

If a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game is made for 5th gen, I wonder how Moxie would work. It seems like it'd be overpowered if you got an Attack boost from EVERY Pokemon that you beat. Scrafty would be an interesting Pokemon to use as it has 3 great abilities - Intimidate (which is even better in PMD than the main games as it's a +1 Defense boost that can't be removed), Shed Skin, and Moxie.

If a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game is made for 5th gen, I wonder how Moxie would work. It seems like it'd be overpowered if you got an Attack boost from EVERY Pokemon that you beat.
I think they'll make Moxie similar to how Pure Power is, where there's only a certain percentage your attack will be boosted after you KO a Pokemon. Still, it would be a great ability!

Ah, I remember this game; I loved PMD2 Darkness the best. I recall having Totodile as my starter and Torchic (or something like that) as my partner. I also remember taking that one quiz multiple times until I could get Munchlax as my starter for some reason.

Scrafty would be an interesting Pokemon to use as it has 3 great abilities - Intimidate (which is even better in PMD than the main games as it's a +1 Defense boost that can't be removed), Shed Skin, and Moxie.
The abilities are great, but it's not like you can have more than one at a time. It would be just like using any other pokemon with those abilities, other than moves and IQ's and stuff(which is basicly everything else :P)

The abilities are great, but it's not like you can have more than one at a time. It would be just like using any other pokemon with those abilities, other than moves and IQ's and stuff(which is basicly everything else :P)
In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon you can have all of the abilities that Pokemon has at once. If a sequel is made, I don't know if Dream World abilities will be included in the mix, but you can have multiple abilities at the same time in these games unlike the main games.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon you can have all of the abilities that Pokemon has at once. If a sequel is made, I don't know if Dream World abilities will be included in the mix, but you can have multiple abilities at the same time in these games unlike the main games.
This is a fundamental aspect of the game I disagree with, actually. Steadfast / Inner Focus Lucario, anyone?

This is a fundamental aspect of the game I disagree with, actually. Steadfast / Inner Focus Lucario, anyone?
Sorry, but it's just too cool of a concept even if it is seriously broken in some cases :naughty:. Chlorophyll + Solar Power Tropius is so awesome under the sun; just imagine if it got Harvest too. Crazy super-fast flying dinosaur on fire with infinitely regenerating berries.

I wonder if Smogon would approve of a server with "Mystery Dungeon" rules that allows every 'mon to have every possible ability at once?

What do you guys think of pikachu and munchlax as starters? Munchlax getd acces to metrenome which seems uber powerful in mystery dungeon as for. some reason i always get moves like blast burn, outrage ect. Also pikachu. seems like a pretty good starter because of dishcharge moves like disharge are so powerful in mysterydungeon because they hit all pokemon in a room. Also moves like hyper beam and giga impact seem appealing because even though you have to recharge it is not likd competive battling where somebody can capatalize with a swords dance as you recharge. Any tips you guys have for mystery dungeon? i also put 90% of my cash in the bank just for safetys sake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)