Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (All Generations)

So I was right about the dungeon layout; it is indeed fantastic. The graphics in general are really cool, especially BRAVIARY.

The rumor on IRC that we could only use five Pokemon has seemed to be confirmed false by the video. In it, you could see a Zorua being recruited.

I love what I'm seeing so far. ^_^

This game is turning out to look awesome! I just wish that they had more pokemon than Tepig, Oshawott, Snivy, Pikachu, and Axew to start with, but still, it will be really cool. I've been hoping they would make something like this since Black and White came out. I sort of expected Pansear, Panpour, and Pansage to be starters too, though.

I doubt those are all the fifth gen "starter" Pokemon. I imagine Pokemon such as Lillipup, Timburr and Litwick could all be possibilities.

I doubt those are all the fifth gen "starter" Pokemon. I imagine Pokemon such as Lillipup, Timburr and Litwick could all be possibilities.
I have to admit, those pokemon would be awesome. Especially Litwick. I think Blitzle and Drilbur would be awesome possibilities.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I've never been into this series enough to actually buy one myself (although I did enjoy Red Rescue Team), but I excited for this simply because it means we'll FINALLY get a decent pokemon game made specifically for the 3DS.

Either way, the trailer looks great.

K so Serebii has pictures (which I believe are mostly from the trailer) and I guess I'll just post my thoughts on them.

If I had to guess, Hydreigon seems like the ideal Pokemon to be the game's primary antagonist. It seems like the perfect Pokemon for the job. Virizion seems like it will also play a prominent role in the game's storyline. I think Virizion could be the guild master of the game. Terrakion, Cobalion and possibly Keldeo could also possibly come into storyline, too, just as what happened with Mesprit, Azelf and Uxie.

A "magnagate" seems to a portal that appears when you use the 3DS' camera on a real life object.

This game looks amazing so far

You know, I thought this was going to be terribad at first, but then I saw the character portraits and dungeoning, and I was a fan. Give it a chance, anyone who doesn't like it.

yeah, I'm just hoping that BW2 keeps my interest long enough that the wait for this PMD doesn't seem endless, lol. XD

For anyone who has trouble with Drifloon: try carrying a junk hold item (No-Aim Scope or whatever), and throw it at a Drifloon when you see one. It's not smart enough to drop it and turn Unburden back on. (Note: it has to be a junk item, because it may well get exploded when you kill the Drifloon.)

For anyone who has trouble with Drifloon: try carrying a junk hold item (No-Aim Scope or whatever), and throw it at a Drifloon when you see one. It's not smart enough to drop it and turn Unburden back on. (Note: it has to be a junk item, because it may well get exploded when you kill the Drifloon.)
no, the main problem with drifloon is that generally you end up in the same room as it but you end up on the wrong side and can't toss anything to negate unburden before it starts sending 2 ominous winds, which = 2 chances to raise stats, and chances are you'll end up on the wrong side of murphy's law. iirc even skitties could be killed by ominous wind...

I calculated out some probabilities based on a single turn of encountering an opposing Drifloon in a dungeon room, assuming you cannot disable Unburden and it uses Ominous Wind at every opportunity.

The list below is absurdly long and covers all 140 different scenarios, but I've condensed them into spoilers.

Assumed mechanics:
- Unburden allows the Pokemon to make two moves in one turn, using only 1 PP.
- Ominous Wind has a 10% chance of boosting the user's Attack, Sp. Atk, Defense, Sp. Def, and movement speed by 1 stage.
- Stat boosts cap at +6. Movement Speed caps at +3 (4 moves per turn).
- At maximum speed, a Pokemon with Unburden can make 8 moves in 1 turn, using 4 PP in the process.

Key:
N = No boost
B = Boost
X = Boost not applicable because all stats are at +6 already

In the list below, something like "NBBNNN 570" means:
- Drifloon makes a move. Ominous Wind is used twice thanks to Unburden. The second time gets the 10% chance of a boost. (NB)
- Because Movement Speed is now +1, Drifloon can make two moves this turn, so it gets another move. It uses Ominous Wind twice thanks to Unburden. The first time gets the 10% chance of a boost. (BN)
- Because Movement Speed is now +2, Drifloon can make three moves this turn, so it gets another move. It uses Ominous Wind twice thanks to Unburden. Neither time gets the boost. (NN)
- Drifloon has now made the maximum three (six) moves for its Movement Speed, so the turn ends.
- Overall, the move did 60+60+90+120+120+120 = 570 base power damage, plus STAB. Ominous Wind now has 2/5 PP remaining.

And now for the gigantic list:

No boosts:
Probability 0.9*0.9 = 81%
Average base power = 120
NN 120

One boost:
Probability 2*0.9^3*0.1 = 14.58%
Average base power = 315
NBNN 300
BNNN 330

Two boosts:
Probability 5*0.9^4*0.1^2 = 3.2805%
Average base power = 592.5
NBNBNN 540
NBBNNN 570
BNNBNN 570
BNBNNN 600
BBNNNN 630

Three boosts:
Probability 14*0.9^5*0.1^3 = 0.826686%
Average base power = ~919.3 (12870/14)
NBNBNBNN 840
NBNBBNNN 870
NBBNNBNN 870
NBBNBNNN 900
BNNBNBNN 870
BNNBBNNN 900
BNBNNBNN 900
BNBNBNNN 930
NBBBNNNN 930
BNBBNNNN 960
BBNNNBNN 930
BBNNBNNN 960
BBNBNNNN 990
BBBNNNNN 1020

Four boosts:
Probability 43*0.9^4*0.1^4 = 0.282123%
Average base power = ~967.0 (41580/43)
NBNBNBNB 840
NBNBNBBN 870
NBNBBNNB 870
NBNBBNBN 900
NBBNNBNB 900
NBBNNBBN 930
NBBNBNNB 930
NBBNBNBN 960
BNNBNBNB 870
BNNBNBBN 900
BNNBBNNB 900
BNNBBNBN 930
BNBNNBNB 900
BNBNNBBN 930
BNBNBNNB 930
BNBNBNBN 960
NBNBBBNN 930
NBBNBBNN 960
BNNBBBNN 960
BNBNBBNN 990
NBBBNNNB 930
NBBBNNBN 960
BNBBNNNB 960
BNBBNNBN 990
NBBBNBNN 990
NBBBBNNN 1020
BNBBNBNN 1020
BNBBBNNN 1050
BBNNNBNB 930
BBNNNBBN 960
BBNNBNNB 960
BBNNBNBN 990
BBNBNNNB 990
BBNBNNBN 1020
BBBNNNNB 1020
BBBNNNBN 1050
BBNBNBNN 1050
BBNBBNNN 1080
BBBNNBNN 1080
BBBNBNNN 1110
BBNNNNBB 900
BBNNBBNN 1020
BBBBNNNN 1140

Five boosts:
Probability 48*0.9^3*0.1^5 = 0.034992%
Average base power = 1035
NBNBNBBB 870
NBNBBNBB 900
NBBNNBBB 900
NBBNBNBB 930
BNNBNBBB 960
BNNBBNBB 990
BNBNNBBB 990
BNBNBNBB 1020
NBNBBBNB 930
NBNBBBBN 960
NBBNBBNB 960
NBBNBBBN 990
BNNBBBNB 960
BNNBBBBN 990
BNBNBBNB 990
BNBNBBBN 1020
NBBBNBNB 990
NBBBNBBN 1020
NBBBBNNB 1020
NBBBBNBN 1050
BNBBNBNB 1020
BNBBNBBN 1050
BNBBBNNB 1050
BNBBBNBN 1080
BBNBNBNB 1050
BBNBNBBN 1080
BBNBBNNB 1080
BBNBBNBN 1110
BBBNNBNB 1080
BBBNNBBN 1110
BBBNBNNB 1110
BBBNBNBN 1140
NBBBNNBB 960
BNBBNNBB 990
NBBBBBNN 1080
BNBBBBNN 1110
BBNNNBBB 960
BBNNBNBB 990
BBNBNNBB 1020
BBBNNNBB 1050
BBNNBBNB 1020
BBNNBBBN 1050
BBNBBBNN 1140
BBBNBBNN 1170
BBBBNNNB 1140
BBBBNNBN 1170
BBBBNBNN 1200
BBBBBNNN 1230

Six boosts:
Probability 20*0.9^2*0.1^6+6*0.9*0.1^6+0.1^6 = 0.00226%
Average base power = ~1116.7 (30150/27)
NBNBBBBB 960
NBBNBBBB 990
BNNBBBBB 990
BNBNBBBB 1020
NBBBNBBB 1020
NBBBBNBB 1050
BNBBNBBB 1050
BNBBBNBB 1080
NBBBBBNB 1080
NBBBBBBX 1110
BNBBBBNB 1110
BNBBBBBX 1140
BBNBNBBB 1080
BBNBBNBB 1110
BBBNNBBB 1110
BBBNBNBB 1140
BBNBBBNB 1140
BBNBBBBX 1170
BBBNBBNB 1170
BBBNBBBX 1200
BBBBNBNB 1200
BBBBNBBX 1230
BBBBBNNB 1230
BBBBBNBX 1260
BBNNBBBB 1050
BBBBNNBB 1170
BBBBBBXX 1290

I hope I didn't make any mistakes in figuring the above out. If the above is accurate, then in the given scenario, Drifloon spamming Ominous Wind will do an average of 173.3 Base Power damage on the first turn, plus STAB. However, note that the 'mere' 120 base power for the 81% chance of getting no boosts drags this average down significantly. It would probably be better to represent the damage output as:
- 81% chance of 120 Base Power damage, plus STAB
- 19% chance of an average of 400.4 Base Power damage, plus STAB
Essentially, you're getting hit with something like STAB Outrage no matter what. However, on a chance approximately equal to Stone Edge's miss chance, you're getting hit with something on the order of three consecutive Draco Meteors all at once, without the stat drops. And with STAB. On the very first turn. That is going to hurt. A lot.

Also note again that this is only the first turn. Since it is hitting from across the entire room, it is likely to be able to attack again, and this time the boosts apply to all the hits, not just the later ones. I'll work out second turn probabilities later, if I feel like it.

Last edited:
actually, stat boosts do not cap at +6, but actually +10. OW has 8 PP (or was it 7? PMD has really funky PP numbers), movement speed ranges from -1 to +4 and immunities count for something like 1/4 resist iirc. Regardless, even if you survive you'll be facing down a monster with like +4 or 5 in all his stats and moving at like triple speed. This basically equals to, use a fucking Escape Orb immediately. pronto.

it's probably the only reason why you shouldn't exchange all your escape orbs for reviver seeds in sky >.>

also power levels iirc are calculated slightly differently in pmd, things like base power aren't exactly relevant and PP numbers are super funky. i might drag out my EoS to check for bp of moves if i have the time...

P.S. On another note, try using Shinx. Charge + Discharge is amazing.

I actually thought stats cap at +8 in PMD. (Tested by spamming Bulk Up in Zero Isle South when I was about to use a Max Elixir.)

Also, Movement Speed doesn't normally give bonus attacks; you can only attack once (twice with Unburden) in a turn. However, possibly due to a glitch, if your Movement Speed increases in a turn, you get to move again, so Drifblim does get eight attacks per turn the first time. Only two on subsequent rounds, but by then it's probably too late.

Escape Orb is overkill for escaping from them, by the way. We're assuming you aren't in range to throw items over than Gravelerocks, but there are several room-affecting orbs that would work: Petrify Orb, Sleep Orb, Foe-Seal Orb, Foe-Fear Orb. (Probably also Confuse Orb; a confused Drifblim will hit itself as well as you with Ominous Wind, and it's likely to KO itself before it KOs you.) There are also seeds that would let you escape if eaten: Warp Seed (probably), Pure Seed (almost definitely, unless the stairs are in the room). Finally, you could use Teleport or Protect.

And yes, I've noticed that the damage formula is different. Base Power seems to have some effect, but it's very small. Defence stages also work differently: a couple of Bulk Ups can bring Bullet Seed's damage from 30 or so down to 1 or 2, which is definitely impossible in the main series games.

i'm pretty sure i was able to charge my shinx 10 times though o.O

Also other orbs are generally situational: the only Orbs I ever find myself bothering to carry are Escape, Foe-Seal (or whatever, the one that petrifies everything on the floor) and Itemizer, and sometimes I forget to use the latter >.> F-S is the only orb other than Escape and Itemizer worth using, but it's also rare compared to Escape. Besides, you can grind for Escape Orbs in Marowak Dojo lol

The graphics are amazing and I love Mystery Dungeon. (Even though I haven't played past Red Rescue Team, lol.) Hopefully I can grab a 3DS before this comes out in English.

i'm pretty sure i was able to charge my shinx 10 times though o.O

Also other orbs are generally situational: the only Orbs I ever find myself bothering to carry are Escape, Foe-Seal (or whatever, the one that petrifies everything on the floor) and Itemizer, and sometimes I forget to use the latter >.> F-S is the only orb other than Escape and Itemizer worth using, but it's also rare compared to Escape. Besides, you can grind for Escape Orbs in Marowak Dojo lol
Escape Orb means you fail the dungeon (you just get to keep your rewards up to that point).

For story progression or clearing bonus dungeons, it's the worst item in the game, because using it means you can't possibly win that attempt and have to start again.

Escape Orb means you fail the dungeon (you just get to keep your rewards up to that point).

For story progression or clearing bonus dungeons, it's the worst item in the game, because using it means you can't possibly win that attempt and have to start again.
It isn't that bad. If you have valuable hold items than this item is really good to save you out of trouble. It isn't the best item in the game but isn't the worst either.

Moreover, you cannot use Escape Orb if you are branded a thief by the Kecleon after stealing from their shop, unless you use a Pitfall trap or the stairs to move to the next floor. One very important reason for staying close to them while trying to recruit one of those bastards...

I'm stoked for the new Mystery Dungeon. I'd love to start off as Snivy. :D

My favorite game was Explorers of Sky because of the new features in the game, like the Spinda Cafe, for example. I always enjoyed watching Spinda spinning around while making the juice. And when I won with the Prize Ticket at Wynaut's Recycling...

For some reason when I played PMD, I always got Pikachu. But sometimes I've also gotten Shinx & Riolu. I've had my partner be Skitty & Vulpix & Riolu (when I wasn't).

If there was one Pokémon who I wish I could've gotten, it's Kecleon. I'm both sad and happy that Kecleon is such an ultimate Pokémon. I'm happy because, since Kecleon is my favorite Pokémon, it's great to see him as he is, but I'm sad because it's nearly impossible to recruit him.

I'm just hoping that it'll be easier to recruit him in the new game. <fingers crossed>

I'm stoked for the new Mystery Dungeon. I'd love to start off as Snivy. :D

My favorite game was Explorers of Sky because of the new features in the game, like the Spinda Cafe, for example. I always enjoyed watching Spinda spinning around while making the juice. And when I won with the Prize Ticket at Wynaut's Recycling...

For some reason when I played PMD, I always got Pikachu. But sometimes I've also gotten Shinx & Riolu. I've had my partner be Skitty & Vulpix & Riolu (when I wasn't).

If there was one Pokémon who I wish I could've gotten, it's Kecleon. I'm both sad and happy that Kecleon is such an ultimate Pokémon. I'm happy because, since Kecleon is my favorite Pokémon, it's great to see him as he is, but I'm sad because it's nearly impossible to recruit him.

I'm just hoping that it'll be easier to recruit him in the new game. <fingers crossed>
Yeah, Kecleon is very hard to recruit, but with all requirements fulfilled in PMD2, then you still have a 0.5% chance. Just don't give up, man. :)

Moreover, you cannot use Escape Orb if you are branded a thief by the Kecleon after stealing from their shop, unless you use a Pitfall trap or the stairs to move to the next floor. One very important reason for staying close to them while trying to recruit one of those bastards...
generally you shouldn't be stealing from kecleon unless you're prepared to actually steal from kecleon (i.e. bring a pure seed etc)

and escape orbs are actually pretty decent if you don't want to burn all your reviver seeds (in instances such as having a ridiculously buffed drifloon chasing you down etc) or you're going to die anyway. i always bring along a couple with me for worst-case scenarios.

This is the place that I have been looking for. This is where I will post what I have been in each of the games.

Red Rescue team-Eevee
Exploerers of time-Munchlax
Explorers of Darkness-Turtwig
Exploerers of Sky-Riolu.
SO MUCH BADASSERY IN TIME AND SKY

I recall getting my 8th Kecleon on my first attempt in RRT, I did the game more or less entirely with skitty/delcatty. It gets double slap early, which factoring in the OP-ness of multihit moves is incredibly powerful. I think I had maybe 6 Ginsengs on it and could ohko Kecleons. Also, Kecleon was great in joyous tower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)