Gastrodon

What alphatron said. Gastrodon is pretty bad without Storm Drain and according to all your logic, people won't use water attacks when they see Gastrodon, but that obviously isn't true. I think the Sticky Hold debate can come to an end now.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Storm Drain is such a great ability, why would you ever want to let that go :o

With Rain support, SpecsGastrodon can even 2HKO Blissey (48-57%) and a chance to 2HKO Chansey (40-48%) with +1 Surf after Rocks! Gastrodon is slow as a slug it's representing, so it would cost significant Spe EVs to outrun Chansey for possibly sealing that 2HKO (92 Spe EVs); probably not worth it for 1 wall.

The beauty of Storm Drain - it not only boosts the power of Water-type moves, but it raises Gastrodon's SpA stat. This allows SpecsGastrodon to inflict major damage to Ferrothorn with Earth Power (although Rain-boosted +1 Surf also 2HKOs with Rocks!) or NP Celebi / Latias with +1 Specs Ice Beam, both an OHKO (after Rocks with Latias).

I hope we can appreciate the power of Storm Drain ;d

Storm Drain is such a great ability, why would you ever want to let that go :o

With Rain support, SpecsGastrodon can even 2HKO Blissey (48-57%) and a chance to 2HKO Chansey (40-48%) with +1 Surf after Rocks! Gastrodon is slow as a slug it's representing, so it would cost significant Spe EVs to outrun Chansey for possibly sealing that 2HKO (92 Spe EVs); probably not worth it for 1 wall.

The beauty of Storm Drain - it not only boosts the power of Water-type moves, but it raises Gastrodon's SpA stat. This allows SpecsGastrodon to inflict major damage to Ferrothorn with Earth Power (although Rain-boosted +1 Surf also 2HKOs with Rocks!) or NP Celebi / Latias with +1 Specs Ice Beam, both an OHKO (after Rocks with Latias).

I hope we can appreciate the power of Storm Drain ;d
But the true power of Storm Drain lies within its defensive merits (although I must admit those numbers do look impressive). Unfortunately like you mentioned, base 39 speed really holds it back from abusing its offensive capabilities.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Trick Room Specs Gastrodon anyone?0
It's one thing for a trick room abuser to have the misfortune of being faster than ferrothorn. It's another thing when the trick room abuser is four times weak to ferrothorn's stab as well.

Storm drain specs gastrodon is still fun as hell though. Try it in triples with politoed and life orb vaporeon.

Gastrown@Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/x Def/x SpDef - Preferr even defenses, but tweak to fit your needs
Moves:
~Stockpile
~Rest
~Boiling Water
~Toxic

One of the most ridiculous things ever. Get rid of grass types and stockpile. Procceed to stall their team. Works best with ss residual. Pair it with gliscor and (in rain) sub toxic tentacruel and you will be asking for rage quits

stockpile gastrodon is just begging to get crit especially on the rest turns if your using rest over recover.

from the times I've used it.

stockpile gastrodon is just begging to get crit especially on the rest turns if your using rest over recover.

Yea, after all those turns you take to set up the chance to be crit is not as low as people like to think.

Crit really doesnt matter too much with its nice bulk. You'll jist need to rest a turn earlier. if it happens during rest turns, hope you wake up early or just be facing an opponent that doesnt ko anyway

Crit really doesnt matter too much with its nice bulk. You'll jist need to rest a turn earlier. if it happens during rest turns, hope you wake up early or just be facing an opponent that doesnt ko anyway
You cant wake up early on rest, rest is 2 turns of sleep

tehy

Banned deucer.
The problem with stockpile and a quadweakness is that, even at plus one, you can still be broken rather easily. Also, NP celebi and CM virizion say hi.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Well, that's a problem with any bulky booster. Sigilyph suffers especially here, since it needs all six turns to set up in order to do any actual damage.

Unless you're using calm mind/stored power sigilyph instead.

tehy

Banned deucer.
No, most bulky boosters lack quadweaknesses, which means that they can't be easily broken by setup pokemon, especially if they also have a phazing move(Stockpile hippow sais hello). Point being, even at plus one with great bulk, a quadweakness means that you can be beaten, and so while water/ground with storm drain is normally crazy useful, it's NOT great for a stockpiler.

Also, sigilyph has whirlwind, if you want to put it over psycho shift, and can afford to set up to plus six with good bulk and psycho shifting burns, so it can go that route too.

I still find the specially Gastrodon set to be of good use. It still does a number to rain teams, and is the best Subcm Rachi check if it lacks Psyshock. Yawn Gastrodon seems interesting, causing switch ins to reconsider their plan of attack, and what to do. It seems like a good annoyance which I will test. And spec Gastrodon looks quite strong, so I need to test that as well.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
On the special set, I think Earthquake>Earth Power and a Sassy Nature instead of Calm. This helps Gastro hit Chansey harder.

On the special set, I think Earthquake>Earth Power and a Sassy Nature instead of Calm. This helps Gastro hit Chansey harder.

Why would you leave gastrodon in on chansey?.

You are just asking to be toxic stalled which would be the only reason a chansey would want to come in on gastrodon.

You still really don't want a negative attacking nature on Gastrodon, honestly speed is not a big deal to lose on the sea slug of all things.

Honestly though most Volcaronas and CM Jirachis these days have physically defensive investment, so earthquake still doesn't do much and they still sometimes break though you.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I still find the specially Gastrodon set to be of good use. It still does a number to rain teams, and is the best Subcm Rachi check if it lacks Psyshock. Yawn Gastrodon seems interesting, causing switch ins to reconsider their plan of attack, and what to do. It seems like a good annoyance which I will test. And spec Gastrodon looks quite strong, so I need to test that as well.
Actually, Spdef hippowdon is the best CMrachi check, period. Yes, it does take damage from water pulse, but even at plus one it's a fourth of its health, so it can only really be beaten by a lot of hax. Also, its much higher attack allows it to do more with earthquake, and you can roar it away if it subs, then CMS. But gastrodon is probably the second best, especially if it lacks psyshock.

As for yawn gastrodon, my switch-ins to it always have natural cure, so i don't really care, but i suppose others might. Specs gastrodon is strong, but you can always outspeed it and recover in its face, so no biggie there.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
So guys, I've been testing a Rain Dance Gastro. So, I'd liek to see what you guys think.

Heres the set:

Gastrodon @ Damp Rock Lv. 100 -- Storm Drain
Nature: Quiet - EVs: 148 HP / 52 Def / 252 SAtk / 56 SDef

-Toxic
-Rain Dance
-Earth Power
-Scald

So guys, I've been testing a Rain Dance Gastro. So, I'd liek to see what you guys think.

Heres the set:

Gastrodon @ Damp Rock Lv. 100 -- Storm Drain
Nature: Quiet - EVs: 148 HP / 52 Def / 252 SAtk / 56 SDef

-Toxic
-Rain Dance
-Earth Power
-Scald
I think that if it's a more offensive Gastrodon, you should have Surf instead of Scald. (or Hydro Pump if you like taking risks). Scald is better for more defensive Gastrodons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)