Research Group #1 - Zweilous, Torterra, Eelektross

(otherwise known as Research Week MkII)

• Research Group will not last a set amount of time. It will usually last 1-2 weeks now, which is why the name was changed.
  • Only 3 Pokemon will be "researched" each week rather than 4.
  • There will be a point system! (which will be detailed below)

Introduction:
NU is a tier where many Pokemon are usable, and there are a ton of different options. Research Group aids in helping explore the tier. Who knows, maybe in future tier changes one of these Pokemon can be incredibly useful, potentially being able to check the new threats well. Maybe one of these Pokemon may find uses in other tiers and is not just a simple throw-away Pokemon, unlike some unfortunate Pokemon in NU.

Some rules:

• Be open-minded. Don't just say something is terrible and walk away; at least look into them and see what options they may be able to utilize.
  • Feel free to theorymon, but make it clear that you are theorymon'ing. At the end of the week, however, I want discussion to move towards how useful the Pokemon actually are in NU, and what sets are effective on them.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's quite possible that something might have gone unnoticed or is missing.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. I want discussion to stay on topic about the 3 Pokemon we are "researching". You'll be able to vote on what Pokemon you want the next Research Group right before it starts (out of a ballot that is determined by me)

The 3 Pokemon that we will be looking into this Research Group are:

How useful are these Pokemon in NU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #neverused/#pokemon as well!

The Research Week Challenge:

• Users will use any number of the research week mons on their team
  • Users will attempt to reach as high as possible on the ladder with the Pokemon. Breaking past the 1400 mark on the ladder with your registered alt will earn you a spot on the Hall of Fame: Gold Class. Crossing the 1325 mark will secure you a Silver Class spot while a 1250 rating will earn you a Bronze Class spot. Post a screen-shot of your peak in order to achieve this, and a pastebin of your team.
  • Users will be expected to post their experiences with the pokemon they use, the teams they used, the problems they encountered while trying to make the said pokemon work.
  • If a user does not participate in the discussion, he will be passed over.
In order to participate in the challenge, simply post here with a brand new alt. Post battle logs, experiences with your team on the ladder, and generally how a Pokemon has worked out for you: past or present.

Gold Class: 1350+ - 6 points

Silver Class: 1275-1349 - 4 points

Bronze Class: 1200-1274 - 2 points

Point System

There will now be a point system in Research Group. Whoever has the most points at the end of 10 Research Group's will get a special prize. You can get points through the following methods:
  • Getting to 1250/1325/1400. You get 2, 4, or 6 points respectively from this. If you get multiple alts up to 1250/1325/1400, you won't get more points.
  • Get one of these 4 awards for Research Group: "Best Forum Discusser" (this topic only), "Best IRC Discusser (#pokemon or #neverused)", "Most Innovative", "Most Interesting Set", and "Best Overall Participant". Each of these will give you 5 points.
  • Win Pokemon challenges (these will be posted later into the Research Group; these challenges would be something like "use Synthesis Simisage effectively" and you'd get some points for it (I'll provide much more information when I make the post)
  • Possibly some additional bonus points~

nothing here yet

Note: these will be on PO until PS! fixes its ladder system

Scrap this Zweilous sucks and all he does is make me lose because of hax. Its just too unreliable for me to work properly.

I am now Casey Novak using elektross

breh

強いだね
I'll use Eel and possibly torterra.

alt: Number 11 (hopefully that's not already taken)

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Feel dumb. I like the point system.
I'll go with
(Torterra)
with the alt -AugJensen-

alt: punch a moose

Might just have to start with them all lol, see where I go from there.

edit: yeah, the novelty got old fast (I guess I was winning, but meh). Anywho, running the eel exclusively now under the same name

So to other people who know more about speed tiers and what not that I do, how much speed (if any) are you running on elektross?

I don't really know much about speed tiers, nor do I have much experience at all, but I don't see Elektross outspeeding anything that tries to be speedy except for Golem maybe.
With full speed invest you barely outspeed 4 speed EV (so bulky) Gardevoir/Altaria. Anything else in the top picks is either faster or slower whether you invest in speed or you don't.

So to other people who know more about speed tiers and what not that I do, how much speed (if any) are you running on elektross?
Well it depends on the set. I prefer to run speedy special eelektross, with at least enough for Tangela(though enough for Mantine is good to just to avoid taking unneeded damage).

For physically inclined Eelektross' I don't run any speed, since it needs all the bulk it can get to boost.

Also I got to 1250 fairly easily, I might have to wait a few days to move up anymore since I was 40 points above anyone on the ladder when I left. Zweilous is very good sleep fodder and is bulky enough to be a pivot. But it's accuracy is a huge letdown. I almost want to sacrifice it just so I don't get stuck with it lategame where a miss changes everything

Expert Belt Eelektross has always been a favorite of mine in NU. There aren't really that many "good" electric-types other than, say, Rotom-S and Zebstrika. Eelektross can easily feign a choice specs set with expert belt, and then proceed to smash the opponent with the appropriate coverage move. It doesn't even need Hidden Power Ice to deal with the likes of Altaria, since a STAB Thunderbolt hits it hard enough. Granted, Eel can be walled by Dragon-types, but those are few and far between.

Ebelt is vastly underpowered in a world of Amoonguss. You need LO or Specs.
Not necessarily,

Detailed Result:
252 SpAtk Expert Belt Eelektross (+SpAtk) Flamethrower vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Amoonguss (+SpDef) : 45.37% - 53.7%
2-3 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

Still a chance to 2hko assuming you have some form of hazard on the field besides t-spikes (Or a guaranteed 2hko if they're not a wierdo and just run defensive amoongus)

Personally I'm using a banded set on my volt-turn team for now, i may change to a special set or change the team entirely later

If i end up revamping the team from Volt-Turn I'll most likely try a coil set with drain punch, seems pretty hard to take down since you cant hit it super effectively.

May use all...
Alt: Weakmist
Had a lot of success with Torterra earlier, not too sure about other guys yet. Will edit after some playing experience

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I'll probably use Eel and Torterra.

I'm not a big fan of missing. Not that I have any problem with luck, though. If using Zweilous I'd probably either use the Sub set or the T-Wave set (or perhaps both!) Thunder Wave has a great property of not missing with Hustle.

Well, we all know torterra is great (tyrants ftw) and zweilus is a OHKO button. Eel is an interesting case in that it can do alot of things. So I'll use torterra and maybe eelektross. I dont like zweilus because missing etc.

Ill use the alt Hammer Time (if it isnt already taken)

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Okay, I wanted to try THE EEL for a long time now, so I guess I can finally do that now. It seems really cool, especially with its physical movepool being expanded greatly. Might as well use Torterra too, but I stopped liked Zweilous long ago. Maybe I'll do that later.

Alt: euhuehuehue eel

From playing a few matches on PS!, here are my thoughts so far:

Zweilous has an amazing defensive typing. Immunity to Psychic, resistance to Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, etc. makes it fantastic at switching into a variety of threats such as Musharna and Exeggutor. With Eviolite and 236 HP EV's, it has a ton of bulk, surviving attacks from the likes of Swellow. It's also very powerful even without Choice Band. CB Zweilous is nice but I find that it just uses an attack then dies soon after. It has less room to miss than Eviolite Zweilous because it has much less bulk.

Tank Torterra is still plenty usable even with Regenerator Amoonguss and Synthesis Tangela. Unlike the other two, it can actually do a lot of damage back. STAB Earthquake hits quite hard even with 0 Atk EV's. Stealth Rock is fantastic and other than Cradily and a few other not-as-usable NFE's, Torterra is the only Grass-type with it. The additional Ground typing is useful for extra resistances and immunities such as Rock and Electric. Not resisting water is annoying, but it hardly makes a difference because most Water-types can either destroy Torterra with Ice Punch / Ice Beam / Megahorn or don't do much to it anyways. Overgrow has instances where it's useful as well. I haven't used the other sets this meta yet, but according to FLCL Life Orb tank Torterra is really good right now.

I haven't used Eelektross much yet, but from experiences in the past, no matter what set I used, it seems to lack just a little too much power and bulk for my tastes. Giga Drain was a nice buff for Specs Eel, though; while it doesn't hit Regirock for 120 BP, the recovery you get from it is very useful for Eelektross. I've always found that it dies fairly quickly, but Giga Drain helps that problem. Coil and Choice Band sets should be a lot more interesting with Eelektross' expanded movepool from the tutors.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I find that Torterra wall breaking is the most useful set, since the tank sets are already done well by Tangela and Amon-goose

I find that Torterra wall breaking is the most useful set, since the tank sets are already done well by Tangela and Amon-goose
Except Amoonguss and Tangela are really walls; they can't hit hard back. STAB Wood Hammer and Earthquake does a ton of damage. Torterra also has Stealth Rock and a useful resistances and immunities such as Rock and Electric. I've fit Torterra on my team numerous times when I needed a Grass-type with a rock resistances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)