Volcarona

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Without Fire Blast, Rain Volcarona is forced to use Substitute. Otherwise, it threatens to be T-Waved / Leeched by daring Ferrothorns that decides to stay in. It's counter-productive, if Volcarona cannot set up on the one thing it's supposed to set up.

Changing the subject to Volcarona on non-weather teams - what do you think of Will-O-Wisp? With Wisp, Volcarona becomes more than just a late-game sweeper, but it can also support the team by luring in physical Sweepers like Terrakion, Dragonite, and Gyarados, and burn them. Burning Water-types like Politoed, Jellicent, and Gastrodon would make it even quicker to checkmate them with a Volcarona sweep later on. I guess it depends on how you play, but I like to inject Volcarona early and mid-game to force plays on the opponent, so being able to burn Pokemon would potentially make Volcarona more useful. Heatran is a problem, but all Volcarona without HP Ground are weak to it anyways. Volcarona's access to Giga Drain somewhat makes Wisp half as appealing, since the former can heavily damage Water-types, but Wisp is nonetheless a good option against any non-Fire types.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
So something like Wisp, quiver dance, bug buzz/giga drain, and fire blast?

I'll test it out. Rather than wall volcorona, people seem to outright switch in an immediate counter or wall against it. I have had some success using will o wisp on offensive arcanine and SR lead infernape before, so I might give it a shot. The lack of a real third attack is hurtful though.

I actually made a joke specially defensive set and it actually did pretty well. I used it with amoongbro.

Volcarona @ leftovers
248 hp / 8 def / 252 SDef
Ability: flame body
Nature: Calm
-roost
-will-o-wisp
-fiery dance
-bug buzz / struggle bug / whirlwind

This set was surprisingly viable.
Roost is a great move for recovery, and it's ability and willowisp allows it to switch in on fighting moves. Fiery dance insures that volcarona won't be a set up fodder as a +1 fiery dance still hurts with no investments. The best thing I've found was struggle bug, which allowed volcarona to weaken special attacker switch ins and to strengthen the ability for amoongbro to switch in on special attackers.

You can run extra speed to outspeed jirachi and whatnot

EDIT: whirlwind is also a phenomenal move for those set up sweepers

EDIT 2: just forgot to mention that stealth rock is a bitch for a defensive mon

I actually made a joke specially defensive set and it actually did pretty well. I used it with amoongbro.

Volcarona @ leftovers
248 hp / 8 def / 252 SDef
Ability: flame body
Nature: Calm
-roost
-will-o-wisp
-fiery dance
-bug buzz / struggle bug / whirlwind

This set was surprisingly viable.
Roost is a great move for recovery, and it's ability and willowisp allows it to switch in on fighting moves. Fiery dance insures that volcarona won't be a set up fodder as a +1 fiery dance still hurts with no investments. The best thing I've found was struggle bug, which allowed volcarona to weaken special attacker switch ins and to strengthen the ability for amoongbro to switch in on special attackers.

You can run extra speed to outspeed jirachi and whatnot

EDIT: whirlwind is also a phenomenal move for those set up sweepers

EDIT 2: just forgot to mention that stealth rock is a bitch for a defensive mon
Edit 2. Which is why Volcarona is a joke of a defensive mon. You won't be allowed to switch so lightly and whirlwind just ups the factor of bringing in something that will check/counter it, yet again forcin you to switch.

Edit 2. Which is why Volcarona is a joke of a defensive mon. You won't be allowed to switch so lightly and whirlwind just ups the factor of bringing in something that will check/counter it, yet again forcin you to switch.
But if you get rid of stealth rocks, it's a pretty good special wall. It's like articuno

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So something like Wisp, quiver dance, bug buzz/giga drain, and fire blast?

I'll test it out. Rather than wall volcorona, people seem to outright switch in an immediate counter or wall against it. I have had some success using will o wisp on offensive arcanine and SR lead infernape before, so I might give it a shot. The lack of a real third attack is hurtful though.
What is "ideal" for the third attack? I guess it depends on the team. I've used HP Rock on my weatherless team. It provides super-effective coverage against Salamence, Dragonite, Gyrados, Thundurus (in rain), and Tornadus (in rain). HP Rock also 2HKOs offensive Heatran variants after 2~3 QDs. However, Volcarona is hopeless against specially-defensive Heatran and Terrakion (especially in sand). This is primarily the reason why I've been playing around with the idea of Will-O-Wisp idea, since it can cripple pretty much all Volcarona switch-ins not named Heatran. This is probably why Volcarona should be used in Sun teams and just blow up on opponent's team's face.

You definitely want Bug Buzz if you want Volcarona to bypass Tyranitar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)