Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you check/counter dragons without a steel type? I'm looking for offensive options (e.g not Ferrothorn, but like Mamoswine instead)

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How do you check/counter dragons without a steel type? I'm looking for offensive options (e.g not Ferrothorn, but like Mamoswine instead)
Well without steels your best options are ice shard users and your own dragons. Mamoswine and weavile are premier dragon checks and your own dragons will punish rivals with their stabs.

Though I emplore you not to put steels aside. There are plenty of cool offensive steels who check dragons perfectly, namely genesect and scizor.

Hope I helped :)

Ps, used to LOVE bionicle

Thanks! But I'm gonna have a hard time fitting a steel on my team, and my dragon Hydreigon is too slow.

Which brings up a question: What threats can outspeed Hydreigon if it chooses Modest over Timid?

P.S. I STILL love Bionicle :P

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Which brings up a question: What threats can outspeed Hydreigon if it chooses Modest over Timid?
This article should help you to answer those kind of questions. For example, Jolly/Timid Lucario, Jolly Haxorus and max speed Jolly Gliscor (the latter is not common at all, but it's just an example) are outsped by Timid Hydreigon but outspeed Modest (assuming max Speed EV investment, obviously).

Okay, that's good, because I know Jolly Luke isn't common at all, but what's more common? Jolly or Adamant Haxorus?
Ive got to say I see Jolly Haxorus alot more often than Adamant. Actual usage stats i wouldnt care to guess. Both are common, it just comes down to user preference at the end of the day.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Okay, that's good, because I know Jolly Luke isn't common at all, but what's more common? Jolly or Adamant Haxorus?
Adamant is more common on Dragon Dance / Band sets in my experience. Scarfed ones (you don't really care about them since they outspeed anyway) and Swords Dance use Jolly sometimes, but I don't see Swords Dance much, so I guess overall Adamant is way more common.

Adamant is preffered on band & dd haxorus while jolly is used mainly on scarf set. So, adamant haxorus is more common overall.

Oh ganj4IF beat me on this perhaps you are jolly ;-)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is not running max speed on genesect worth it for a little big of a boost in attack if I don't care about speed ties? Running enough just to out speed heidreigon, for example.

Is not running max speed on genesect worth it for a little big of a boost in attack if I don't care about speed ties? Running enough just to out speed heidreigon, for example.
Scarf Hydreigon has 486 Spe. Max Speed Scarf Genesect has 489 Spe. You're not getting much of a boost. You could only afford to relocate 4 EVs, and when Genesect vs. Genesect matchups are so common and so deadly, it's just not worth it.

Building and Breeding

When you guys build teams essentially from scratch after you know who you want on the team, do you generally just catch them and EV train, or do you do any breeding at all?

When you guys build teams essentially from scratch after you know who you want on the team, do you generally just catch them and EV train, or do you do any breeding at all?
For game teams, breeding tends to be key to passing down IVs properly. It can also help with getting the proper nature, and it's necessary in order to get certain moves.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
I would definitely want to breed a proper viable 'mon and then EV train those ones. If you're not using a pokemon generator I'd for sure want to get one with the right Nature and IVs. Those things can easily make or break a competitive team.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
Is anyone using Icy Wind on Choice Specs Keldeo? Thanks to Keldeo's very, very shallow movepool, the last moveslot is filler, and I started to try using Icy Wind instead of Surf, since I heard that it can 2HKO many dragons. But I haven't yet had the chance to use Icy Wind, and if my calculations aren't wrong, even a rain-boosted resisted Hydro Pump does more damage than a 2x super effective Icy Wind!

This move is so weak that I doubt it's effectiveness over Surf. Even though Surf has the same coverage as Hydro Pump, Icy Wind is so weak that many things that it hit super-effectively are already felled by neutral (or resisted!) Water attacks. The only reason that I found to use Icy Wind at all is because of it's effect that drops the opponent's speed, and this effect's usefulness is rather debatable since the opponent can negate the speed drop by switching out, though this fact could be abused with entry hazards (but the only entry hazard that I have on my team is Stealth Rock).

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you are able to RNG (see the Wi-Fi forum for more info on that), catching vs breeding is irrelevant except for egg moves. If you can't RNG, then it's much easier to get good IVs by breeding.

Personally, I like to catch everything that doesn't need egg moves, because I like having everything in fancy balls :P
Is anyone using Icy Wind on Choice Specs Keldeo? Thanks to Keldeo's very, very shallow movepool, the last moveslot is filler, and I started to try using Icy Wind instead of Surf, since I heard that it can 2HKO many dragons. But I haven't yet had the chance to use Icy Wind, and if my calculations aren't wrong, even a rain-boosted resisted Hydro Pump does more damage than a 2x super effective Icy Wind!

This move is so weak that I doubt it's effectiveness over Surf. Even though Surf has the same coverage as Hydro Pump, Icy Wind is so weak that many things that it hit super-effectively are already felled by neutral (or resisted!) Water attacks. The only reason that I found to use Icy Wind at all is because of it's effect that drops the opponent's speed, and this effect's usefulness is rather debatable since the opponent can negate the speed drop by switching out, though this fact could be abused with entry hazards (but the only entry hazard that I have on my team is Stealth Rock).
There is at least one thing that Icy Wind has going for it, though: Latios. It's just strong enough to 2HKO, and if you can hit it on the switch then it won't be able to outspeed you before the second hit like it would with any other move.

What is a good nature and EV Spread for a Bulky Thundurus?
If your referring to Thundurus-T, you're best of not using it. Bulky isn't necessarily it's best contribution to teams. It's more of an offensive type Pokemon, it's thin defenses shouldnt be taking anything than resisted/immune hits. Zapdos has more natural bulk and has the same typing.

What is a good nature and EV Spread for a Bulky Thundurus?
Running a Bulky Thundurus is kind of a bad idea, especially when it doesn't really have the best defences anyway. You're much better off going fully offensive, as it is a shame to waste Thundurus's great offensive stats, not to mention that as a defensive mon it lacks recovery and has a Stealth Rock weakness, not to mention it is easily outclassed by a lot of other defensive mons.

If you're going to be running any bulk at all, I'd suggest it would only be on the Agility Thundurus set. I'd recommend some HP investment to live certain priorities such as Mach Punch, Ice Shard and Bullet Punch. While it may seem a little strange, being able to survive a hit or two and get off an Agility safely can easily mean the difference between a sweep and getting revenged by priority. Besides, all the speed is really not needed on Thundurus, as after an Agility you outspeed pretty much everything, and there are no notable mons you miss out on outspeeding.

I thought most people were using more of a Bulky Thundurus these days...
Thats what a friend had told me
Eh i guess I'll listen to Yall'
Its true it doesn't have the best defenses and its offensives shouldn't be put to waste
Thanks for the help! =)

I'm primarily a PO player for the population, but I frequent Smogon's website because the community is so much better. Now, I saw the thread about how Garchomp is being tested again, but I don't know where to go to play on said ladder.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since garchomp is being tested now does that mean everyone can use it? Or is it only for PO and showdown?
What do you mean by everyone can use it? Where, besides PO / PS / PO2 before the testing would you not be allowed to use it? Iirc, Wifi doesn't enforce tiering bans from Smogon. Sorry if I'm missing something.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
Are the pinch berries legal now (e.g. Custap Berry, Petaya Berry) with the advent of BW2?
According to PS, Custap and Petaya, along with the Liechi, Apicot and Micle Berries are all unobtainable in BW2.

Salac however is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)