Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm shitting myself a little, if we lose the next two games and lose the division...

I know that my Rangers have only been swept twice all year (2 game series vs Royals, 3 game series vs White Sox) but I'm still terrified.

Was rooting for the Dodgers till' the last out so I'm not overjoyed by the season, but as a baseball fan it was a good one,

-Mike Trout had the best rookie campaign ever and possibly the best incomplete season too

-Bryce Harper and Giancarlo Stanton showed with the long ball that they're gonna be fun to watch for a while

-Stephen Strasburg avoiding the path of Mark Prior (if I were in the Nats spot I'd save some of his regular season starts for the postseason instead but w/e)

-Chipper Jones, Big papi, Derek Jeter, Ichiro and probably many more I'm forgetting are showing they can be clutch in the later stages of their careers

-The Oakland A's shocking everyone (sorry Stallion)

-7 no-hitters (2 perfect games)

-Fernando Rodney and Craig Kimbrel both breaking closer records

-A triple crown winner???

I haven't covered everything but I'd say it's been a cool season and I like the all of the clubs in postseason contention as clubs. It wasn't the Dodger's year with Kemp and Either out of the lineup for chunks of time and the #2 starting pitcher Billingsley going down anyway so I won't be too bummed about having to watch other teams make their runs.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really don't think Cabrera should win the award but I don't think it can be avoided. I actually had a chat with a guy in a bar who fancies himself a big baseball fan (doubt it), that it was inexplicable to conceive of a triple crown winner not winning the MVP. Poor misguided fool.

Also Stallion, it is definitely time to panic. A's too strongth.

I like the Rangers....

But I think it would be SO awesome if the A's won that division. Like the third lowest payroll in baseball? That would be fantastic for the sport. There's a lot of pretty low-money teams making the playoffs...Athletics, Orioles, Reds, Nationals I think?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Fuck that Byrne, their team is a fluky piece of shit. I don't know how they've won so goddamn consistently since June with like 2-3 good hitters and a rookie pitching lineup, but I feel sick to the fucking stomach ATM watching the most talented team in the majors squander a division lead they've had from day 2 of the season until yesterday.

Fuck that Byrne, their team is a fluky piece of shit. I don't know how they've won so goddamn consistently since June with like 2-3 good hitters and a rookie pitching lineup, but I feel sick to the fucking stomach ATM watching the most talented team in the majors squander a division lead they've had from day 2 of the season until yesterday.
Just because their pitching lineup is full of rookies doesn't mean it's bad haha. They have the sixth best staff in the majors. Texas has the 16th. Oakland has extremely opportunistic hitters that hit lots of home runs when they have to. That compared with an elite pitching staff equals just as good of a record as the Rangers who have good hitting but very poor pitching. I wouldn't be shocked if the A's win the American League. If you want to talk about a team that's flukey, look to the Orioles, not the Athletics.

Stallion

Tree Young
Fucking Josh Hamilton with a 2 run 2 out error to give them the lead on a fucking routine flyball, you're done with us you piece of shit. No heart.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh man, can't wait to see the people in Oakland party (wish I went to San Fran now, would DEF watch this game)

Stallion

Tree Young
no ws 4 u :(
Fuck, I'm not even thinking WS.....it'll be a miracle if we win the play in game. I can't stand the fucking Oakland bullpen, celebrating each out like its the WS. So much loathing for those wankers, much like Jose Valverde.

Fuck, I'm not even thinking WS.....it'll be a miracle if we win the play in game. I can't stand the fucking Oakland bullpen, celebrating each out like its the WS. So much loathing for those wankers, much like Jose Valverde.
I think their celebrating is justified, considering in the preseason mostly everyone predicted this team for 100 losses and now they're about to win the division with the two most purely talented teams in the MLB.

I am barely a Rangers fan (I only watch playoffs and only Rangers, I freaking hate baseball) and am still upset by this collapse, this was supposed to be all locked up ughhhhhhhhhhh

Josh Hamilton making a single error is not responsible for the situation devolving to this point, or the Rangers not winning the world series last year.

Stallion

Tree Young
I think their celebrating is justified, considering in the preseason mostly everyone predicted this team for 100 losses and now they're about to win the division with the two most purely talented teams in the MLB.
They do it every game, not just in game 162. Irritating fucks.

@ CK - you're not gonna have any playoffs to watch, we're going to lose the wild card game when we have a team 1000 times that of the A's on paper. Vomit.

They do it every game, not just in game 162. Irritating fucks.

@ CK - you're not gonna have any playoffs to watch, we're going to lose the wild card game when we have a team 1000 times that of the A's on paper. Vomit.
I've watched quite a lot of the A's the second half of the season and they don't do this very often at all. Against the Rangers, maybe, and again, it's for good reason. A team projected for 100 losses overtaking a team projected for 100 wins? Talk about epic. I would be pumped as hell too.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's all over! Probably the most incredible, unlikely season in decades. The 2012 Oakland Athletics.
And Congratz are in order to Texas Rangers, who blew a 13 game lead to the Oakland A's

In other news, I won one of my fantasy leagues and got 3rd in the other.

Stallion

Tree Young
^ get fucked

At least I dominated the smogon fantasy league.

Copying and pasting my post from bbtia:

Give the A's credit for a nice season, but there is NO FUCKING WAY they should have won this division. No fucking way. Never have I been a fan of such a pathetic team......they are so goddamn talented, so frustratingly talented. I'm a massive Ravens fan in football so I know about heartbreak, big mistakes and frustrating losses. One thing I can say about them though is that I've never seen them play without heart. Sure I wanted to run Cundiff out of town after he missed a sitter, and I was furious for ages understandably. But at the end of the day, I was proud of the fight my team showed - they never quit. This Rangers team used to be a team I was proud of. We may have lost last year in heartbreaking fashion, but we never quit. The comebacks, the walkoffs, the grit. This year I am fucking embarrassed to wear my Rangers jersey in public, even in Australia. Hamilton may have gone for 42/128 but every fucking time up at the plate, he'd meekly strike out and swing and goddamn everything. Kinsler has been giving away at bats for months, and don't even get me started on Young. Why the fuck wasn't Moreland out there for the biggest game of the season? The only three players who can hang their heads high over the last few months are Beltre, Andrus and Darvish (and Napoli to a lesser extent). Never seen such dejected, blank looks on such a talented teams face ever. We got complacent, we lost our hunger, and if Yu doesn't save us we've got a long offseason ahead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)