Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

I keep on hearing Kyurem-B is absolutely underwhelming by others. I personally believe it is not as bad as others think (no I am not looking at the 170 attack). I need to know is Kyurem-B THAT BAD and will it ever go to OU (as some people say -.-)?

My Uber Question

Hello everyone. I've been playing competitively for quite a long time, but I'm just now really getting into Ubers (I'm an OU player mostly). I need to know what pokemon should be used as a Dual Screener.

Things you should know before answering, is that I'm using Deoxys-S as a suicide hazard lead. I find that he does that job better than anyone else, but cant stay alive long enough to put up screens AND hazards. So, I guess, anyone besides him. (I use Espeon in OU for dual screens; do you think that would be viable at all in Ubers?)

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks for yall's time.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Ubers forum does not decide what goes on in the OU metagame, whether Kyurem-B drops or not is none of our business, as its viability in Ubers remains unchanged.

Kyurem-B faces a few several fatal flaws,

-No physical Ice-type STAB
-Opportunity cost, if you're going to use Kyurem-B make what you're making it do isn't outclassed by Kyurem-W
-Stealth Rock weak.
-Not amazing Speed tier, ties with Rayquaza, lowering its viability as a Choice Scarf user.
-Strongest move locks you in, leaving you prone to revenge-killing.

That being said, there are a few cool sets that Kyurem-B can run to differentiate itself, although they aren't amazing

Mixed - using Ice Beam and Focus Blast (or Hidden Power Fire) gives it the ability to crush Groudon, a common stop to physical attackers, and Ferrothorn / Forretress (with HP Fire). Outrage and Fusion Bolt let it pump out damage and get an SE hit on Kyogre / Lugia.

Mixed Hone Claws - the sheer power of +1 Outrage is illustrated when it OHKOes Ferrothorn after a Blizzard. Hone Claws allows you to use the 70% accuracy move with decent efficacy, and the strength of Blizzard over Ice Beam makes it worth considering.

Choice Band - the classic, don't use Freeze Shock. A lot of Steel-types so this set isn't amazing, Fusion Bolt wrecks Skarmory though, which is cool.

-

Espeon is okay as a Dual Screener, Latios works too, as it has Memento and good special bulk. One can also compress double screens on Deoxys-S at the cost of only having Stealth Rock and Taunt.

A question regarding this -----> http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3472809 <------ team.
I need a Sub+set up sweeper, so I want to know who better suits my team - Zekrom or Darkrai? Zekrom, though it has good bulk, is still weak to Ice, Ground and Dragon, while also being almost dead meat against offensive teams. Darkrai, while much frailer, gives me an extra sweeper, as well as some variety to my mainly physical team.
Please reply.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Salamence97, this thread is not a RMT thread. You just need to wait until someone responds to your RMT in the RMT forum. This thread is for questions about the Ubers metagame.

For you question, it depends on what you need. Zekrom can setup on Ferrothorn, but it doesn't seem like you have a problem with it, whereas Darkrai's combination of Dark Void + Substitute can be often frustrating, as many users rely on their Choice Scarf users to revenge Darkrai, and Substitute makes this almost impossible. I suppose the best you could do is simply try each one, and decide for yourself what suits your team best.

On a spike-stacking team of sorts, I wanted my spin blocker and shuffler. I'm currently using Giratina-O with Rest/Sleep Talk/Dragon Tail/Roar. But won't Giratina-A do this better? The thing is I don't exactly need Giratina-O's extra offensive power, so the extra defenses of Giratina-A might help. The only problems with Giratina-A I believe is 1) the inability to break Subs with D.Tail (assuming I'm asleep and using sleep talk) and 2) no Levitate. But since I'm running Rest, Toxic spikes aren't a problem and Griatina isn't exactly weak to ground, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Tell me what you think.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
On a spike-stacking team of sorts, I wanted my spin blocker and shuffler. I'm currently using Giratina-O with Rest/Sleep Talk/Dragon Tail/Roar. But won't Giratina-A do this better? The thing is I don't exactly need Giratina-O's extra offensive power, so the extra defenses of Giratina-A might help. The only problems with Giratina-A I believe is 1) the inability to break Subs with D.Tail (assuming I'm asleep and using sleep talk) and 2) no Levitate. But since I'm running Rest, Toxic spikes aren't a problem and Griatina isn't exactly weak to ground, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Tell me what you think.
Does it really matter if Dragon Tail can or cannot break substitutes? You have Roar for phazing stuff that does manage to get a Sub up anyway... besides the only time that would really matter is if the mon was asleep, and both really have the bulk to survive and phaze the setup sweeper that dared setup on them. Besides, Giratina-O can't break physically defensive Ho-oh's Subs )_) (it does break normal ho-oh though, so I guess the power boost MIGHT be useful asdfs), which is probably the most common user of the move in the game. Honestly, both are viable, due to their distinct advantages. Its more of an issue of what your team needs. If you find it difficult to spin then going with Giratina-O may be the superior option, Giratina-a's vulnerability to every hazard in the game really dampens its walling potential, something Giratina-O avoids due to levitate. However, if you CAN easily spin or are able to keep hazards off the field, or are just in desperate need of a reliable Ho-oh counter or Specs Kyogre switch-in (these are two roles Giratina-a can fill that Giratina-o cannot), then going with Giratina-a is the wiser option.

For D.Tail not breaking Subs, consider this :
Giratina-O is asleep against Poke x (let's say Ho-oh) behind a Sub. I use sleep talk, it selects D.Tail and I break the Sub. This is something Giratina-A cant do due to lower Attack.
I know I can Roar out Sub Pokes anyway.
Also, I'm just assuming this. If you say, Giratina-O can't break Ho-oh Subs, ignore what I just said :p
I'm not using a spinner at all on my team. Also, I usually manage to prevent the opponent from getting up anything except SR. That being said, I think Giratina-A is the better option.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
That may be true, but just like mr.lol said, it doesn't matter if it breaks the Sub or not, because you will still not phaze it anyway. Sure, breaking Subs would be nice to force them to waste a turn and 25% HP setting one up again. However, the choice between Giratina-O and -A is purely up to team style. Giratina-O works better on offenseive teams, while Giratina-A is suited more for semi- and full stall teams. If you are that concerned about offensive pressure then keep Giratina-O, but Giratina-A's defenses are better for a team based on keeping hazards on the field as long as possible.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Giratina-O is also a choice for defensive teams since it avoids Spikes and Toxic Spikes, making it useful for teams that can afford to let opponents set up these hazards otherwise, or just do not want to have their spinblocker deal with that kind of bullshit.

Deoxy's and Darkrai Double Battle

1. Can this forum be used for casual battling too or just competitivly.
2. If the previous question's answer is yes than How should i be able to counter Deoxy's and Darkrai because Darkrai always uses Dark Void on my Pokemon and Deoxy's starts hammering hard once their asleep. The pokemon i have are Hydreigon, Salamence, Haxorus, Conkeldurr, Zekrom, and Reshiram.
3. If the First Question's answer is a no than disregard no. 2

Furai

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
1. Can this forum be used for casual battling too or just competitivly.
2. If the previous question's answer is yes than How should i be able to counter Deoxy's and Darkrai because Darkrai always uses Dark Void on my Pokemon and Deoxy's starts hammering hard once their asleep. The pokemon i have are Hydreigon, Salamence, Haxorus, Conkeldurr, Zekrom, and Reshiram.
3. If the First Question's answer is a no than disregard no. 2
Smogon University is a competitive Pokemon battling forum, thus making this forum competitive as well. The Orange Islands subforum might be your go-to place, but I still believe that it's only in-game subforum and not casual Pokemon.

Good counters for Darkrai are fast paced attackers, such as Mewtwo and Choice Scarf Kyogre, or bulky Pokemon that can tank its hit, such as Ho-Oh. Strong priority moves also beat Darkrai easily. Sleep Talk Pokemon can save you the thought on "who do I put to sleep". Deoxys is easily defeat by priority moves, due to its low defenses. Thus, Arceus, Scizor, and Giratina-O are good Pokemon to defeat Deoxys. Genesect gets a special mention as with Choice Scarf it outspeeds both and KOs with U-turn.

Furai

what about heracross @ sleep talk/megahorn

come at me brooooo
Unless you run only Megahorn and Close Combat, Manaphy is still the best as Stone Edge does not kill!

came at you my man

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
naw bro close combat is a no-no cause darkrai could sub enough times for defense drops and end up killing hercross !!! and yea that was the entire set; sleep talk/megahorn what else does he need like fo srs

naw bro close combat is a no-no cause darkrai could sub enough times for defense drops and end up killing hercross !!! and yea that was the entire set; sleep talk/megahorn what else does he need like fo srs
Choice Scarf Heracross will just outspeed Darkrai and kill it... I don't see why you would run anything else than Choice Scarf Heracross in Ubers, Choice Band Heracross is too weak without a Guts a boost and slow for Uber standards.

Is it viable to run a defensive giratina-o with CM+Sub, given that it has a Calm nature? Or would it be better to use it in its Alternate Forme?

Furai

Is it viable to run a defensive giratina-o with CM+Sub, given that it has a Calm nature? Or would it be better to use it in its Alternate Forme?
Why the Calm nature, if I may ask? I somewhat need to know so I could know what you're aiming for.

Furai

Well, you're probably better off with getting a Modest or Timid one for a SubCM sweeper. Giratina-A may have Recovery, but Giratina-O has an immunity to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes thanks to Levitate; both can really easily destroy a SubCM Giratina-A sweep. You can use that nature for the Specially Defensive Giratina-A though, as it really appreciates the +SpD. Roar over Dragon Tail is a really viable alternative with all of those Substitute Pokemon out there and if you don't want to miss.

So, I'll want to train it to be a specially defensive alternate giratina? Sounds easy enough :) The idea I had for a SubCM Gira-O with calm was to invest heavily in SpAtk and Def, but not bother about speed since it's kinda slow anyway.

I think here would be as good a place as any to ask this, but can someone post a link to the official Smogon doubles battle torniment rules, I've looked around the forums for about 2-4 hours and couldn't find it, so maybe someone could help me out here, and yes i used key word search to look for it with no avail. help please =D

Mr. Uncompetitive

That was when it all began.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think here would be as good a place as any to ask this, but can someone post a link to the official Smogon doubles battle torniment rules, I've looked around the forums for about 2-4 hours and couldn't find it, so maybe someone could help me out here, and yes i used key word search to look for it with no avail. help please =D
Smogon doesn't have its own OFFICIAL double battles metagame, though we do support VGC, which is Nintendo's official Pokemon Competitive Tournament which is in a double battle format. The rules change from year to year though the forum, if you're interested, is here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127

As for Smogon making their own Doubles Meta, we'd need a decent amount of activity in the meta in order to support it, such is the case of LC and, for a time, Dream World OU. You could try making a thread in the othermetas forum but I'm not fully sure if we have a Double Battles system on PO (I know it currently doesn't exist on PS), plus there was a Non VGC Doubles Thread made before and it's currently locked due to being unplayable on the sims so I don't know if they'll support the idea but that forum is here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumd.../www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206

Also next time, ask in the OU Simple Q/Simple A thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3465355

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)