VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
what about skill swap effect spore onto cresselia
lol, now why would you ever want to do that? Generally, whenever you use Skill Swap, you want to have some ideal target partner that gives both Pokemon a useful benefit immediately (ie, Cresselia & Heatran, Venomoth & Kyogre, etc). Effect Spore users like Amoonguss and Breloom really aren't begging for a Ground immunity and Effect Spore does very little for Cresselia.

How well does Trick Room interact with Weather?
I was thinking of doing a Team based on Trick Room with a Weather as a sub theme (so 4 of the 6 ready for Weather). Example (rough idea)
Brozong (Trick Room Setter)
Jellicent (Trick Room setter)
Emboar (Hammer Arm under Trick Room :D)
Tyranitar (Sandstorm setter)
Torterra
Gorluk (Hammer Arm under Trick Room :D)

How well does Trick Room interact with Weather?
I was thinking of doing a Team based on Trick Room with a Weather as a sub theme (so 4 of the 6 ready for Weather). Example (rough idea)
Brozong (Trick Room Setter)
Jellicent (Trick Room setter)
Emboar (Hammer Arm under Trick Room :D)
Tyranitar (Sandstorm setter)
Torterra
Gorluk (Hammer Arm under Trick Room :D)
You're probably better off with one or the other. I'd stick with Trick Room as the main theme. You can still have a weather setter, but not as a sub theme, have it as a way to counteract other weather teams and remove their effect. Good choices are Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Abomasnow.

EDIT: If you run sandstorm, you don't necessarily have to fill out most of your team with Rock-, Steel-, or Ground-types that won't get hit. There are a few good bulky Pokemon you can use that don't mind residual damage at all, like Cresselia. Also, I don't see Reuniclus in there anywhere. He take no passive damage b/c of his ability and is an excellent offensive Trick Room mon.

You're probably better off with one or the other. I'd stick with Trick Room as the main theme. You can still have a weather setter, but not as a sub theme, have it as a way to counteract other weather teams and remove their effect. Good choices are Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Abomasnow.

EDIT: If you run sandstorm, you don't necessarily have to fill out most of your team with Rock-, Steel-, or Ground-types that won't get hit. There are a few good bulky Pokemon you can use that don't mind residual damage at all, like Cresselia. Also, I don't see Reuniclus in there anywhere. He take no passive damage b/c of his ability and is an excellent offensive Trick Room mon.
I though about using it instead of Bronzong but that would make it half the Team weak to Dark. If I switched the other Trick Room user (Jellicent) with it, I would loose my STAB Water user.

Hi, I understand that VGC Ubers hasn't occurred for the 5th gen yet, but I am currently in the process of RNGing Dream Radar Pokemon... can someone tell me the overall best natures for Telepathy Palkia, Giratina, and Dialga? The ones that have proven the most useful in nearly any scenario...

Dark's kind of a funny type. The only mons who should be using dark moves are dark-types aka Tyranitar, who's scared of the rest of your team.

Even then, nobody good uses crunch Tyranitar so I wouldn't worry. The only other dark types you might see around are Hydreigon, which is only used by pros and noobs, and Krookodile which is kind of a weird mon. It's like a smoothie made out of Garchomp, Tyranitar and Salamence. Has hints of all of them, but lacks fibre, omg that's a really good analogy for once.

That said, every starter is a terrible Pokémon, Golurk is just bad, and Bronzong is horrendous. Your team does however work together very well, especially with Reuniclus over Bronzong. You have to remember, for Trick Room to be worth it you need to be ending your game in the 4 turns after Trick Room goes up. With Bronzong herp derping around in one of your slots, that's not going to be happening: Reuniclus meanwhile actually packs a real punch, and covers the fighters who'd kill Tyranitar otherwise.

Call me boring (Though I'm actually just right jajaja), but for a good idea in what's a good team take a look at Ray's Worlds-winning squad. There is a reason why he won Worlds again: the team he used had the most effective build possible, and he's an excellent player. Wolfey's US nationals team had exactly the same core. You may have heard people say "Size doesn't matter, it's how you use it": this kind of team is when you have a huge one, and you're a Jedi Master at wielding it.

(There is a reason why Ray and Wolfey get all the girls)

(And I get all the guys :[)

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, I understand that VGC Ubers hasn't occurred for the 5th gen yet, but I am currently in the process of RNGing Dream Radar Pokemon... can someone tell me the overall best natures for Telepathy Palkia, Giratina, and Dialga? The ones that have proven the most useful in nearly any scenario...
Palkia and Dialga are primarily special attackers, so Modest or Timid is your best bet unless you want to run a mixed set. As for Giratina, it depends on which forme you're planning to use.
Ok then thanks. Also you have any idea when they will announce the new rules
We don't know. Just keep an eye on the forums; a thread will go up as soon as we have any information.

Dark's kind of a funny type. The only mons who should be using dark moves are dark-types aka Tyranitar, who's scared of the rest of your team.

Even then, nobody good uses crunch Tyranitar so I wouldn't worry. The only other dark types you might see around are Hydreigon, which is only used by pros and noobs, and Krookodile which is kind of a weird mon. It's like a smoothie made out of Garchomp, Tyranitar and Salamence. Has hints of all of them, but lacks fibre, omg that's a really good analogy for once.

That said, every starter is a terrible Pokémon, Golurk is just bad, and Bronzong is horrendous. Your team does however work together very well, especially with Reuniclus over Bronzong. You have to remember, for Trick Room to be worth it you need to be ending your game in the 4 turns after Trick Room goes up. With Bronzong herp derping around in one of your slots, that's not going to be happening: Reuniclus meanwhile actually packs a real punch, and covers the fighters who'd kill Tyranitar otherwise.

Call me boring (Though I'm actually just right jajaja), but for a good idea in what's a good team take a look at Ray's Worlds-winning squad. There is a reason why he won Worlds again: the team he used had the most effective build possible, and he's an excellent player. Wolfey's US nationals team had exactly the same core. You may have heard people say "Size doesn't matter, it's how you use it": this kind of team is when you have a huge one, and you're a Jedi Master at wielding it.

(There is a reason why Ray and Wolfey get all the girls)

(And I get all the guys :[)
Can you provide me a link to the Teams?

But honestly, I'm not so keen on copying other's Teams. I have hated that way of thinking ever since I played Magic The Gathering back in the day and half the players I knew net decked their card lists and showed no creativity or soul.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Ray's World Championship team

Wolfe's Worlds runner-up team

most of what zog ended up rambling about is typical zog but especially the bit re: crunchless ttar. Ray did use Fire Punch instead of Crunch on his Tar because he is incredibly Scizor weak, and flash_mc used Avalanche instead of Crunch because of Garchomp. However, these are very specific techs for the team. Usually Crunch is the better option and I know flash at least missed Crunch when he was trying to break Wolfe's core in t4.

Palkia and Dialga are primarily special attackers, so Modest or Timid is your best bet unless you want to run a mixed set. As for Giratina, it depends on which forme you're planning to use.

We don't know. Just keep an eye on the forums; a thread will go up as soon as we have any information.
Well Origin forme keeps Levitate, so I suppose the BEST Telepathy Altered Forme Giratina set you can get me :)

re: crunchless ttar
Just gonna explain the crunchless Tyranitar

When you're playing a Tyranitar, a huge draw is that it walls half the metagame. Zapdos, psychic-types, ghost-types, fire types are all powerless and helpless against a full-HP (and especially sashed) Tyranitar. None of the Pokémon you'll be hitting with crunch threaten Tyranitar in any meaningful way, which is why Ray, Wolfey, Flash (3/4 of the semifinalists there), Massi, Yoshi, Havak and myself (and probably more good players) all used crunchless Tyranitar. Those moves: substitute, dragon dance, fire punch and avalanche are all better than crunch. Using crunch is predictable and unconstructive, and doesn't win games. Think of it as like classic British wrestler Big Daddy's signature belly splash move: it's powerful and it's what Big Daddy does best, but you can see it a mile off and by the time he's using it he's won already.

I'm not rambling, I'm radical. :pimp::pimp::pimp:

Ray's World Championship team

Wolfe's Worlds runner-up team

most of what zog ended up rambling about is typical zog but especially the bit re: crunchless ttar. Ray did use Fire Punch instead of Crunch on his Tar because he is incredibly Scizor weak, and flash_mc used Avalanche instead of Crunch because of Garchomp. However, these are very specific techs for the team. Usually Crunch is the better option and I know flash at least missed Crunch when he was trying to break Wolfe's core in t4.
I am actually loving seeing Ray's team because will all the posts of how everyone else seems to 252/252/6 their EV's, I was starting to worry that I would have to re-think my approach to training. Meanwhile, our three time Champion raises Pokemon in the same style that I do.

hmmm are the american regionals for American and Canadian Players only? I might give a shot at one of them if my poker sessions do work well but at first i need to find out if iam able to attend (yeah i know i need an american version of the game, but that should be no problem at all..) cant find any text about this.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
They aren't limited to just American and Canadian players, just have your american version of BW2 and you can play.

If I'm not mistaken, we're holding off on hosting the next round of VGC Battling 101 until the new rule set is announced and we're given some time to play with the Pokemon allowed.
I am totally interested in this...! I am still trying to figure out Ranging. I am trying to find me some Chatots now that I have the league under my belt on my game.

hmmm are the american regionals for American and Canadian Players only? I might give a shot at one of them if my poker sessions do work well but at first i need to find out if iam able to attend (yeah i know i need an american version of the game, but that should be no problem at all..) cant find any text about this.
You can basically attend any Regionals but that ties you to that locations Nationals. And as others mentioned, you need a Regional appropriate game.

hey would you think they would let us use both forms of Thundurus, Tornadus and Landorus on our team for the tournaments. also would that make a good team. I don't think having them on your team would be very good.

hey would you think they would let us use both forms of Thundurus, Tornadus and Landorus on our team for the tournaments. also would that make a good team. I don't think having them on your team would be very good.
No. They are both forms of the same Pokemon with the same Pokedex #, so it falls under species clause.

o forgot about that they had the same pokedex # you think the new forms are going to be used more then their other forms There abilities look better then there old ones for vgc excepted Tornadus seeing that you don't switch much in double battles, but I think there might by a way to make that work great but haven't found it yet if there is one.

Anyone ever tried running both Slowbro and Slowking together?
I think they'd make an interesting pair if anything.
Not really. When you pick two Pokemon you want to use as partners in doubles, you generally want to select two Pokemon that share a diverse array of resistances (especially to spread attacks) and that can hit a wide variety of targets between their attacks. Classic examples include Garchomp + Zapdos, Metagross + Rotom-W, and Hitmontop + Latios. Slowbro and Slowking get near identical coverage and share the exact same array of weaknesses. All it takes is a Pokemon with Discharge to bring them to their knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)