VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The contrary recipient will receive the stat drops. Contrary does not prevent stat drops. For example, contrary shuckle using shell smash will boost its defenses by one stage, but drop its offenses and speed by two stages. Since the changes are being passed to the recipient and not actually occurring under contrary, the recipient will get the drops.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Let's talk a little more hypothetically: if vgc13 uses the bw2 unova dex only and ninetales and tyranitar are the only two auto weather starters: do you think a cloud nine lickilicky would be a good idea? A little less hypothetical is mentioning that it has a far better special attack pool, but 5 less Base special attack than attack. Which would you rather have?
Well, even disregarding Lickilicky's mediocrity, you still have to deal with the problem that Cloud Nine only works while it's in play. If weather is central to your opponent's strategy to the point where getting rid of it gives you an advantage, then they will probably focus on KOing Lickilicky quickly, and as soon as it goes down you're back to square one. I'd suggest instead using a Pokémon with a weather-changing move, since that's a more permanent solution if you can take out your opponent's weather starter first (especially since most players will play their weather starter more aggressively if they don't see any competition in Team Preview - I lost count of how many times I took out an opposing Tyranitar or Ninetales on the first turn with my Rain Dance team).

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
To be more specific, Contrary only affects stat changes when they first happen. If you Baton Pass them, or Skill Swap Contrary onto a mon with existing stat changes, or anything like that, it doesn't do anything.

Baz Anderson covered your question pretty well (though I still recommend learning RNG if you can, just because it's a lot faster), but I noticed you mentioned states. VGC doesn't do the state tournaments (at least, not yet), those are only for the TCG - if you showed up to one with your DS, you'd be in for a disappointment. For VGC, there's only regionals, nationals, and worlds.
easy mistype, it is a "regional".

i guess my next question would be how viable virizion is both as a lead and as a dual screener? thats by far my favorite bw legend but the x4 to flying really steams my clams.

btw i have learned RNG and found it to be extremly helpful, but for those pokemon you cannot breed i was wondering if really was RNG or lose, or if it didnt really matter in the end if lets say u had poor defensive IVs.

i guess my next question would be how viable virizion is both as a lead and as a dual screener? thats by far my favorite bw legend but the x4 to flying really steams my clams..
Lead is a fairly singles-centric term, as well as dual-screening for that matter. Vgc is a format where prediction and switching up your team is key, so you'll rarely be starting the same thing every match. As far as dual-screening goes, it's not impossible, but it's fairly difficult to set up, and usually reflect isn't that useful since intimidate is much easier to use. Virizion is probably better off taking a more physically offensive role as its leaf blade and close combat are incredibly dangerous. If you're determined to use it in a support role, I'd recommend using safeguard as status runs rampant in this metagame.

Lead is a fairly singles-centric term, as well as dual-screening for that matter. Vgc is a format where prediction and switching up your team is key, so you'll rarely be starting the same thing every match. As far as dual-screening goes, it's not impossible, but it's fairly difficult to set up, and usually reflect isn't that useful since intimidate is much easier to use. Virizion is probably better off taking a more physically offensive role as its leaf blade and close combat are incredibly dangerous. If you're determined to use it in a support role, I'd recommend using safeguard as status runs rampant in this metagame.
wait i thought there was no confirmed list of legal pokemon for the 13 season, was i mistaken?

EDIT: while were on the subject of intimidate, if hitmontop is not a legal choice, who would the "cookie-cutter" choice become?

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
He means in the current VGC 2012 style metagame, which is rampant with status moves like Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, and Swagger.

It's still unknown what the rules for 2013 will be, just be patient and you'll know the rules when everyone else finds out.

wait i thought there was no confirmed list of legal pokemon for the 13 season, was i mistaken?

EDIT: while were on the subject of intimidate, if hitmontop is not a legal choice, who would the "cookie-cutter" choice become?
If I had to guess, I would say that Landorus-T is the most logical choice.

is there any means to obtain this pokemon without a 3ds? rng requests or trading or anything like that?

@Biosci,
while i fully understand thunder wave, does will-o-wisp really work competitively?? i had never thought to use it, is it like toxic in that it grows in damage each turn?

is there any means to obtain this pokemon without a 3ds? rng requests or trading or anything like that?

@Biosci,
while i fully understand thunder wave, does will-o-wisp really work competitively?? i had never thought to use it, is it like toxic in that it grows in damage each turn?
Just trading a Landorus to someone with the reflecting mirror so they can transform it will work just fine. Regardless of the upcoming rules, Thundurus is about 99% confirmed to be in it, and he's the main culprit of paralysis spreading. In addition, if you don't mind the shaky accuracy of WoW, it is completely viable. While it does not increase in damage every turn, burn halves the attack of anyone afflicted with it, thus crippling physical attackers. Even further, it can be used in numerous higher level strategies involving your own pokemon. A popular user of this is prankster Sableye, who can WoW team mates like Chandelure or Heracross in order to manually activate chandy's flash fire or Heracross's guts without relying on a flame orb.

And almost definitely DW Scrafty, when and if he's released.

The reveal glass is a key item, you can't attach it to any Pokemon let alone trade it.
I wasn't saying to trade the item. I'm referring to the Landorus itself.

Edit: Upon further investigation, you cannot trade Landorus-T. Sorry bout that.

Yes, I would like to ask something. Is there something wrong with smogon's wifi battle finder? It's been twice since i've already looked there and the people that are probobly on there don't show up. So a quick question is there something wrong?

I wasn't saying to trade the item. I'm referring to the Landorus itself.

Edit: Upon further investigation, you cannot trade Landorus-T. Sorry bout that.
Can a BW Landorus be traded into a B2W2 game and then converted to Landorus-T using the Reflecting Mirror?

Yes, I would like to ask something. Is there something wrong with smogon's wifi battle finder? It's been twice since i've already looked there and the people that are probobly on there don't show up. So a quick question is there something wrong?
It's malfunctioning for everyone at the moment. Don't worry, we have smogon's programmers on the job.
Can a BW Landorus be traded into a B2W2 game and then converted to Landorus-T using the Reflecting Mirror?
Yes it can.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
You can use this thread in the Wi-Fi forum to check whether it's down, and also to ask for battles in the meantime.

I have a rather odd/complex question...
Of the following Pokemon, which can usually be used to good effect as Pairs?:
Krookodile
Arcanine
Driftlim
Golurk
Chandelure
Rotom
Jellicent (I like ghosts too much don't I?)
Vaporeon
Espeon
Umbreon
Jolteon
Lucario
Flygon
Zoroak
Excavalier
Scizor
Ferrothorn
Conkeldurr
Reuniclus

These are among my favorite Pokemon (I purposely left out Pokemon I indeed like but seem to overused for my taste like Tyranitar and Hydreigon). I'm probably missing a few (going from memory) so if I recall another one or two, I'll edit.
I am trying to find Pokemon that might work cohesively so I can make a Team.

Krookodile
Arcanine
Driftlim
Golurk
Chandelure
Rotom
Vaporeon
Espeon
Umbreon
Jolteon
Lucario
Flygon
Zoroak
Excavalier
Scizor
Ferrothorn
Conkeldurr
Reuniclus

These are among my favorite Pokemon (I purposely left out Pokemon I indeed like but seem to overused for my taste like Tyranitar and Hydreigon). I'm probably missing a few (going from memory) so if I recall another one or two, I'll edit.
Scizor and Chandelure complement each other well, what with flash fire taking an otherwise fatal hit for Scizor, that being on the switch of course.

Krookodile
Arcanine
Driftlim
Golurk
Chandelure
Rotom
Vaporeon
Espeon
Umbreon
Jolteon
Lucario
Flygon
Zoroak
Excavalier
Scizor
Ferrothorn
Conkeldurr
Reuniclus

Chandelure, Conkeldurr and Rotom-W work pretty well together, covering almost all of each other's weaknesses. Also, Conkeldurr and Reuniclus have amazing synergy for a Trick Room team. Scizor could also work pretty well in a TR team with Rotom-W and Chandelure.

So basically, if you wanted to use a team with all of your favorites, it would look something like this:

Chandelure
Conkeldurr
Reuniclus
Rotom-W
Scizor
*maybe another slow Pokemon like Rhyperior/Metagross/Amoonguss or another one TR mon like Musharna*

EDIT:
here's an outline of the team in case you need some help on it ~

Chandelure (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Heat Wave

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Detect
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide / Payback

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SAtk
- Energy Ball
- Protect
- Psychic
- Trick Room

(EVs allow it to OHKO most standard Hitmontop & Conkeldurr, survive Adamant Tyranitar's Crunch, OHKO Non-Rindo Berry Gastrodon with Energy Ball)
CREDIT GOES TO CASSIE AND JIO OF NUGGETBRIDGE FOR THE EV SPREAD

Rotom-W @ Electric Gem / Water Gem / Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 248 SAtk / 4 SDef
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect (Trick or Volt Switch if Choice Specs)

Scizor (M) @ Flying Gem (Occa Berry / Bug Gem / Steel Gem if you're not using Acrobatics)
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
- Acrobatics / Aerial Ace / Superpower
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Krookodile (F) @ Rock Gem / Dark Gem / Ground Gem / Chople Berry
Trait: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Rock Slide

Just trading a Landorus to someone with the reflecting mirror so they can transform it will work just fine. Regardless of the upcoming rules, Thundurus is about 99% confirmed to be in it, and he's the main culprit of paralysis spreading. In addition, if you don't mind the shaky accuracy of WoW, it is completely viable. While it does not increase in damage every turn, burn halves the attack of anyone afflicted with it, thus crippling physical attackers. Even further, it can be used in numerous higher level strategies involving your own pokemon. A popular user of this is prankster Sableye, who can WoW team mates like Chandelure or Heracross in order to manually activate chandy's flash fire or Heracross's guts without relying on a flame orb.

And almost definitely DW Scrafty, when and if he's released.
now this is another thing that is interesting me, will dw scrafty be superior to the moxie scrafty? i can see uses for both but moxie and fake-out dont seen to work as well together as intimidate and fake-out. Guess the real question on my mind is how good retaliation is in the vgc.

also o the subject of landorus, so just for triple confirmation, there is no way to obtain the T form without having a 3ds?

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@Biosci,
Burn halves attack in the same way para quaters speed.

now this is another thing that is interesting me, will dw scrafty be superior to the moxie scrafty? i can see uses for both but moxie and fake-out dont seen to work as well together as intimidate and fake-out. Guess the real question on my mind is how good retaliation is in the vgc.

also o the subject of landorus, so just for triple confirmation, there is no way to obtain the T form without having a 3ds?
yup, you need a Landorus-T to get the Reflecting Mirror, unless you use another (illegitimate ) way like PokeCheck. Not saying Pokecheck is all hacks, but it's impossible to get a Landorus-T with a 3DS or Reflecting Mirror, so the first one you get will technically be "hacked" until you get the Reflecting Mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)