VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here know a place where I can get some Pokemon for VGC '13? I tried the thread for VGC '12, but most everyone there is either retired or on a very long leave-of-absence.

How high is the level of competition in Italy (Seniors).
what exactly do you mean by this? I know the age in Seniors is up to like 14 IIRC, but the level of competition depends on how far into the tournament you are and how well you're doing.

what exactly do you mean by this? I know the age in Seniors is up to like 14 IIRC, but the level of competition depends on how far into the tournament you are and how well you're doing.
Like would people be able to spot Terracott, or a skill swap strategy, what's kinda the percentage of people who ev train? Thx

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Like would people be able to spot Terracott, or a skill swap strategy, what's kinda the percentage of people who ev train? Thx
I think you're asking how many people EV train when competing for VGCs? If so, most of them do.

I think you're asking how many people EV train when competing for VGCs? If so, most of them do.
In seniors, it depends on competitor. Most do EV train with 252 / 252 / 4, but don't expect any complicated spreads.

It really just depends on who you get. I would say there's like 4 people who wouldn't know to 8 that do at least have a general grasp.

The other time I was on Pokemon Showdown I was using Amoongus and Thundurus against Garchomp and something else. Amoongus used Rage Powder but the Garchomp was still able to target and hit my Thundurus with Outrage. It hit harder than usual so I'm pretty it was Choice banded. So my question is does Garchomp or Outrage have a special property that gets past Rage Powder or was it just a glitch in PS? At the time saving the replay didn't pop into my head.

The other time I was on Pokemon Showdown I was using Amoongus and Thundurus against Garchomp and something else. Amoongus used Rage Powder but the Garchomp was still able to target and hit my Thundurus with Outrage. It hit harder than usual so I'm pretty it was Choice banded. So my question is does Garchomp or Outrage have a special property that gets past Rage Powder or was it just a glitch in PS? At the time saving the replay didn't pop into my head.
It might just be a PS! glitch because Outrage normally could hit either target but since Amoonguss used Rage Powder, it should have been directed. Post this bug in the Troubleshooting forum.

Agonist

What's a good set for Mold Breaker Excadrill? Currently I'm using this set, but was wondering if there's anything more efficient.

Adamant / Jolly @ Ground Gem
252 Atk / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sub / Drill Run
- Protect

What's a good set for Mold Breaker Excadrill? Currently I'm using this set, but was wondering if there's anything more efficient.

Adamant / Jolly @ Ground Gem
252 Atk / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sub / Drill Run
- Protect
Definitely use Iron Head over EQ or Drill Run / Rock Slide, Exca really likes a second STAB move. Also, since you're using a non-sand rush drill, I would recommend bulkier EVs such as 172 HP / 64 Atk / 116 Def / 156 SpD with Chople

Even with 64 Attack EVs, Excadrill has a very respectable 179 Attack. The extra bulk allows Excadrill to survive Earthquake from Adamant Landorus, Heat Wave from Modest Chandelure, and Close Combat from Adamant Terrakion with the aid of Chople Berry. This set can be used in Sandstorm, but a simple EV spread of 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe with Focus Sash is preferred.

Agonist

Definitely use Iron Head over EQ or Drill Run / Rock Slide, Exca really likes a second STAB move. Also, since you're using a non-sand rush drill, I would recommend bulkier EVs such as 172 HP / 64 Atk / 116 Def / 156 SpD with Chople

Even with 64 Attack EVs, Excadrill has a very respectable 179 Attack. The extra bulk allows Excadrill to survive Earthquake from Adamant Landorus, Heat Wave from Modest Chandelure, and Close Combat from Adamant Terrakion with the aid of Chople Berry. This set can be used in Sandstorm, but a simple EV spread of 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe with Focus Sash is preferred.
Cool, I'll give that a shot. Fortunately, I can still OHKO standard Rotom-W with a Ground Gem, though I can't outspeed it anymore.

Edit: well, I can outspeed ones that don't invest in speed, at least.

Can somebody link me or explain to me to the rules regardless time limit?

I know there is a (15 min iirc) time limit in VGC, and I was told is actually a 15 turns limit. However, I cant find it, is not in the policy for the tourney so I really dont know where else I can find it.

I know there is a (15 min iirc) time limit in VGC, and I was told is actually a 15 turns limit. However, I cant find it, is not in the policy for the tourney so I really dont know where else I can find it.
http://assets2.pokemon.com/assets/cms/pdf/op/tournaments/2013/Play_Pokemon_VG_Rules_and_Formats.pdf
Page 4

1:30 for team selection and team preview
1 minute action selection every turn
20 minute time limit after both teams are selected

voodoo pimp

marco pimp

From the official rules:
4. Time Limits
Tournament staff is responsible for running a timely event. To assist in this effort, POP has established guidelines for time limits during various portions of the event.
4.1. Pre-game Time Limit
Players will have 90 seconds to view their opponent’s team and select their Pokémon.
4.2. Mid-game Time Limit
Any mid-game effects, such as selecting a move or retreating Pokémon, are to take place within the 60 seconds allocated per turn. Note taking may only occur when not being prompted to select a move.
4.3. Match Time Limits
Single-game matches will be 20 minutes. For best-of-three matches, each game will be 20 minutes.
As far as I know, there's never been any sort of turn limit, so I'm not sure where the person who told you that got it from.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've used a Mold Breker Excadrill on a team. It tends to be something that you have to build your team around to make it really effective. Since you do not have Sand Rush for speed, I think you are on the right track with going 252 Atk/252 Spd for it. This does make it a bit frail however. I've tried both using a CB with Excadrill and using Swords Dance, and both have had their merits.

Definitely use Iron Head over EQ or Drill Run / Rock Slide, Exca really likes a second STAB move.
Replacing Excadrill's Ground move with Iron Head defeats the purpose of Mold Breaker. Also, since you are able to hit Levitators with EQ, the vast majority of Pokemon that can avoid it will be weak to Rock. As such, just having EQ and Rock Slide is good enough.

Thermidor

Banned deucer.
Would it be a bad idea to bring any pokemon obtained from Pokecheck.org to the VGC? Are these pokemon legal?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Most of them are, but only get them from trusted users such as The Agonist, Hozu, TheMatntyke, etc
Also, make sure that you know how to get them without the added ribbon, since that will disqualify you even if the Pokémon is otherwise legit. If you have any doubts or problems, ask the user you're getting it from and they'll probably be happy to help you out or even trade it to you directly.

It is a trophy, most likely made from acrylic.
Thanks. Is there likely to be random Pokémon merchandise included in prize support as well, as they've done with past VGCs?

Also, am I missing something, or has the CP system been totally overhauled for the 2012-2013 season? I see that last season the top 12 players in North America CP-wise (Worlds qualification) ranged from 22 to 10 CP, but this year, you get 120 for winning a Regionals.

Thanks. Is there likely to be random Pokémon merchandise included in prize support as well, as they've done with past VGCs?

Also, am I missing something, or has the CP system been totally overhauled for the 2012-2013 season? I see that last season the top 12 players in North America CP-wise (Worlds qualification) ranged from 22 to 10 CP, but this year, you get 120 for winning a Regionals.
Yeah there should be additional swag (Hat/Binder/Playmat/Etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)