1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. ultimatedra

ultimatedra

Number of wins to get into Top 8 is a very hard number to guess because it is dependent on attendance and dependent on how good your opponents do in the tournament. With that going X-1 is almost always safe, but you could sneak in with an X-2 record if you have very good tie breakers.

The amount of swiss rounds is as follows (per age division):

8 players is 3 rounds.
    16 players is 4 rounds
    32 players is 5 rounds
    64 players is 6 rounds
    128 players is 7 rounds
    Etc.
  2. BlankZero

BlankZero

Is Speed Boost Blaziken banned in VGC?
  3. Nexus

Nexus Day 358: Believe
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Wi-Fi Commissioner

No, as long as you use a legal one (obtained in a Japanese game as the event was never released outside of Japan), then you'll be fine.
  4. BlankZero

BlankZero

I guess if I can get a hold of it, that will be enough of an accomplishment eh? Thanks for the speedy reply.

A second question then, seeing as I won't have Blaziken for obvious reasons, what would be a good replacement for it on a sun team? Just a decent Fire type physical sweeper that isn't Infernape :)
  5. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Don't forget that other VGC players can help you out (I have a Rash one, for instance). If you don't want to use someone else's stuff, then Darmanitan and Arcanine are your best bets.
  6. BlankZero

BlankZero

I'm a bit shaky on Pokecheck and how to use it and other things like that. I don't know what it is to be honest. Maybe I'm just Tech Challenged?

I was thinking Darmanitan myself, but I really wouldn't mind a DW Blaziken. Adamant/Jolly of course but as long as the Speed and Attack don't get dropped....
  7. Misdreavus

Misdreavus

Do most good Trick Room teams use Fake Out to help ensure a turn-1 Trick Room? I haven't seen Follow Me / Rage Powder in awhile.
  8. Biosci

Biosci !
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a VGC3 Winner

From what I've seen a lot of, most TR teams have both Fake Out and Rage Powder support. But still, neither of these can guarantee you getting your TR set up Turn 1.
  9. Blaze123

Blaze123

Could someone EV train my gastrodon? To help you need to
    always be on smogon so I can track how long it takes.
  10. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

I see both all the time. Neither of which are reliable against imprison Chandelure + any kind of support.
  11. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder

Do I have to have the 3ds dream radar game to get the therian forms on my white 2? Thanks
  12. BlankZero

BlankZero

EV training takes almost no time. You can train a full team of 6 in about an hour or two if you have the power items and Pokerus and know where to go.

What exactly are you having trouble with?
  13. BlankZero

BlankZero

Yes.
  14. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

BlankZero, I believe that's incorrect. Again correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone already has the Therian's on another game, they can just trade you from their game. You need the 3ds dream radar in order to switch back and forth, but if someone has em' a trade is all that's required. So it's really either or. You find find free VGC Pokemon here.

Some one may just have a Therian, or two, for you!
  15. Biosci

Biosci !
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a VGC3 Winner

No you need to get the Therian Landorus from the Dream Radar yourself to be able to get the item that lets you change the genies from Therian to Incarnate forme.

So BlankZero is correct.
  16. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Cannonfodder asked if he needs the dream radar to get the therians. You are correct in the fact that the dream radar is required for the Incarnate change, but to just get the therians, a trade is another option so long as their in their Therian form when traded. I can't remember if they revert to incarnate in the wifi club, I thought that they stay in the same form as long as their being transferred between BW2 carts.
  17. religiousjedi

religiousjedi #ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

Nope, even among two BW2 carts, you cannot trade the genies in their Therian formes.
  18. Blaze123

Blaze123

I don't even know how to EV train and my friends were telling me it was very hard so I would just find someone else to help me.
  19. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

It's confusing at first, perhaps, but once you know how to do it it's really easy. One time I procrastinated on my team before a regional and EV trained all six Pokémon in about three hours the morning of the event.

This guide is a good place to start - after you read it, feel free to ask any more questions you may have.
  20. BlankZero

BlankZero

Same with the Kyurem forms.
  21. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Oh okay then. Sorry for the confusion.
  22. BlankZero

BlankZero

It's ok. I thought the same thing til I tried to transfer mine around lol.
  23. Nopie

Nopie

Whenever both of my Pokemon are knocked out in the same turn when I battle on wifi, for some reason it doesn't let me choose which Pokemon to send in next, and I end up having to wait the for the entire command timer to run down before my last 2 or 1 Pokemon I have left are sent out. Is this just a thing that happens, or is it only happening to me?
  24. tlyee61

tlyee61

it happens in every game. it's kinda hard to explain but i'll try my best
    after selecting one pokemon to go into battle, tap a fainted pokemon and tap it's portrait like you were sending it in. then select the other pokemon and you should send in both.

in steps:
    1) Select one Pokemon to send out

2) Select one of the recently fainted Pokemon

3) Now select the other Pokemon that you want to send out to battle
  25. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Is there any use for Espeon at all in VGC'13, I'm mostly turned off by it's shallow movepool, but is there any competitive use?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)