Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is a thread for questions you may have about the simulator.

Before posting in this thread, make sure it belongs here and not in one of the following threads:
Bug Reports
Technical Support
Suggestions

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
2. While answering Yes or No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
3. Please check the simulator page onsite before asking your question. This page contains two FAQ pages: the general FAQ and an FAQ on the staff.
4. This is not a thread for Pokemon questions. If you have questions about Pokemon, try using this thread.
5. If you would like to suggest an option for laddering/challenging, DON'T - Check out the Other Metagames forum instead. Be sure to read the rules!

It is entirely normal for your rating to drop after 15 games. This is because of decay, which allows your rating to re-adjust over time to represent your true rating more accurately. It is not a ladder glitch.
Edit: idk if this is still accurate

Last edited:

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I'll start us off with the first question: so is the old SQSA thread just permanently gone? :P

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I guess I'll fire the second question:

Would it be a good idea to open up a new server called "Smogon Tournaments"? Is a tournament system being worked on? That would be a great idea so we don't have to use Challonge anymore (since half the time your opponent leaves during the tour...)

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
I guess I'll fire the second question:

Would it be a good idea to open up a new server called "Smogon Tournaments"? Is a tournament system being worked on? That would be a great idea so we don't have to use Challonge anymore (since half the time your opponent leaves during the tour...)
Tournaments will very likely be added shortly after separate rooms are created. Having a separate server would work, but weather it would get enough use is tricky. Also who would pay for it/maintain it/mod it ect.

Tournaments will very likely be added shortly after separate rooms are created. Having a separate server would work, but weather it would get enough use is tricky. Also who would pay for it/maintain it/mod it ect.
>weather :P

I think it's much better to host them within the main Smogon server; a dedicated tournament server will probably get little to no traffic. If Smogon's PS server has a tournament channel, people can pop in and out as they like whenever they're in the mood for one.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm all for "official" PS tournaments run by auths with little walls announcing when one starts and when one ends, but the room implementation for tournments would be good too.

This might sound stupid, but... Is it possible to view your own ladder ranking? I've clicked my own username, only to see the IP and other miscellaneous things.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
This might sound stupid, but... Is it possible to view your own ladder ranking? I've clicked my own username, only to see the IP and other miscellaneous things.
Type /rank into the main chat. Note that unless you are in the top 100 you cannot see your rank, but you can see your rating and how close/far you are from being in the top 100

You can type "/rank username" to see other peoples.

Hey, does the ladder (your position on it) save even after you delete cookies / browser data and/or log out?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Your ladder rank is tied to your name, which is stored on the server. No need to worry about losing your rank (unless you constantly lose).

How does decay work on Showdown?

More specifically, can I get any points I lost through decay back, and is there a time limit for it?

Ta!

When I try to check the ladder I get the message "No one has played any ranked games yet", and I can't check my and others' rank with /rating (but other commands like /help, /om, /away, /ip work). Is it because I connect to PS through port 80?

You have been disconnected - possibly because the server was restarted.

i cant play showdown cuz of this

^^ I find it's often due to your browser or internet connection. If your internet is pretty slow, that's probably why. Otherwise, try updating or changing your browser. Worked for me.

And does anyone feel like answering my question?
:
How does decay work on Showdown?

More specifically, can I get any points I lost through decay back, and is there a time limit for it?

Ta!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^^ I find it's often due to your browser or internet connection. If your internet is pretty slow, that's probably why. Otherwise, try updating or changing your browser. Worked for me.

And does anyone feel like answering my question?
:
I'm not exactly sure what affects the amount of points you lose per day from decay, but I do know that you get it all back after your first battle, as it is added to the amount of points that you'd have gained / lost. This alsp explains why some people still gain a small amount of points after losing- the amount the system has to make up from decay is more than the amount that player would have lost from losing the match, resulting in the appearance of gaining points.

For example, (hypothetically) if I lost 50 points from decay and lost a match that I was going to lose 40 points on, I'd gain 10 points, since the decay makes up for the loss. Either way, my ranking still lost 40 points, it just doesn't appear that way.

I'm not exactly sure what affects the amount of points you lose per day from decay, but I do know that you get it all back after your first battle, as it is added to the amount of points that you'd have gained / lost. This alsp explains why some people still gain a small amount of points after losing- the amount the system has to make up from decay is more than the amount that player would have lost from losing the match, resulting in the appearance of gaining points.

For example, (hypothetically) if I lost 50 points from decay and lost a match that I was going to lose 40 points on, I'd gain 10 points, since the decay makes up for the loss. Either way, my ranking still lost 40 points, it just doesn't appear that way.
Awesome, thanks a lot for your reply!

I don't suppose you, or anyone else, knows what happens if you lose this match? Do all the points you would have gained from decay lost? Or are the saved until you do win?

Yes, it messes up a lot of ladder stuff. :(

You can still use the ladder in http://pokemonshowdown.com/ladder
Rating changes and other stuff are ok, so don't lose time on it since there's another way to check it :)

You have been disconnected - possibly because the server was restarted.

i cant play showdown cuz of this
If you use a restricted Internet connection, it gives this message and doesn't connect to the server. For example, I'm in a sort of college and my connection can only pass through specific ports (80, 443 and few more).
If you think that's the case, try to connect using this link: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/~~showdown:80/lobby

I don't suppose you, or anyone else, knows what happens if you lose this match? Do all the points you would have gained from decay lost? Or are the saved until you do win?
I believe the decay points are still received even if you lost. So, let's say electrolyte's example was switched with the decay being 40 points and the loss costing 50 points. You would lose 10 points in the process.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

You would get back the points you lost due to decay, minus the points you lost because of losing the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)