Gothitelle (Non-Choice Attacker)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm surprised nobody's clawed out my throat for not including this later on in the original analysis. Plus, I gotta breathe a little air of creativity into OU C&C because of all these darned revamps.

QC Approvals (3/3): (alexwolf) (princess bri) (ginga <3)
GP Approvals (2/2): (GatoDelFuego) (Melvni)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS.

(hahaha, get it? Because knight?)

(Man, tough crowd)

[SET]
name: Non-Choice Attacker
move 1: Psyshock / Psychic
move 2: Thunderbolt / Grass Knot
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Signal Beam / Thunder Wave
item: Expert Belt / Life Orb
ability: Shadow Tag
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In exchange for some power and the ability to cripple defensive Pokemon by tricking a Choice item onto them, this set grants Gothitelle the freedom to switch attacks and maintain momentum without locking himself into a single move. Gothitelle can therefore be played less cautiously and can often handle more than one threat before fainting. As usual, the Psychic-type STAB move of choice depends on preference and team support. Psyshock is the preferred move this time, as it has a better chance of OHKOing Tentacruel and Terrakion in sandstorm. With Life Orb and a Modest nature, it also guarantees a 2HKO on 0/252 Blissey with a little prior damage. Psychic is certainly useful against some physically defensive targets however, especially Gliscor and Landorus-T if Gothitelle isn't running Hidden Power Ice. Thunderbolt is needed for Skarmory and hits Politoed harder, whereas Grass Knot gives Gothitelle a chance to OHKO Hippowdon and to dent Tyranitar before fainting. As usual, Hidden Power Fire is reserved especially for Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor, while Hidden Power Ice decimates Gliscor and Landorus-T.</p>

<p>With the absence of Trick, Gothitelle has the option of either maximizing his coverage or crippling faster offensive Pokemon. Signal Beam mainly hits Celebi, OHKOing the specially defensive variant with Expert Belt and two Stealth Rock switch-ins while handling other sets quite decently. If you find Signal Beam unnecessary, Thunder Wave is another option that cripples fast offensive threats, mainly ones that carelessly switch in after Gothitelle has eliminated an opposing Pokemon. Gothitelle can also switch into and trap any threat you like and paralyze it at any time in the match, giving him great offensive utility.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread and natures are much the same as on the Choice Specs set. A Modest nature is preferred on this set for a couple of reasons; Gothitelle needs to make up for the decrease in power (especially if he is using Expert Belt) and doesn't benefit as much from outspeeding specific threats because he lacks Trick to cripple them. The use of Thunder Wave also somewhat compensates for the Speed loss, however. The only reason to consider a Timid nature is to outrun and KO or cripple specific threats, including defensive Jirachi, Celebi, and Adamant Breloom.</p>

<p>There are some useful moves to consider in the last slot besides Signal Beam and Thunder Wave. Taunt prevents opponents from setting up or healing, which is an effective strategy against defensive threats attempting to stall Gothitelle out or set up hazards. Heal Bell allows Gothitelle to heal himself and his teammates of status and keep in somewhat good shape when facing status users such as Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Jellicent. Last but not least, Gothitelle can use either Fake Tears or Calm Mind to increase his damage output, though he is generally better off attacking two times in succession.</p>

<p>Remember that teammates should always take advantage of the holes that Gothitelle makes in the opposing team. Therefore, one shouldn't be too concerned about Gothitelle being walled, as Gothitelle himself is used purely for team support. Teammates should also capitalize on the threats that Gothitelle lures in or can't hit, including Pursuit users and special walls such as Chansey and Celebi (if Gothitelle lacks Signal Beam). As usual, the practical answer to this is to employ Pokemon that can set up easily on them; Substitute Terrakion sets up for free on Chansey and Heatran, while Scizor scares out Tyranitar, Celebi, and opposing Scizor, and wrecks many other threats after a Swords Dance boost.</p>

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for posting this AG, it is a great set, and i honestly cannot find a good reason as to why i haven't gone for it, as i have used it many times. The only thing i slightly disagree with is the item choice. I prefer Expert Belt to LO, as if you OHKO your target, 95% of the opponents are going to think that you are Specs or even Scarf, so if they try to set-up on you with whatever Pokemon they bring in, you can do a decent chunk back or even OHKO if they are weak to any of your moves. Blissey is not really popular anyway, so i don't think that slashing LO second is gonna hurt and most things that Gothitelle traps are killed with super effective attacks anyway. So if you agree with me fine, or else fine too!

QC Approved 1/3

AccidentalGreed

Okay so, I theorymonned some moves while studying in cram class, and decided that Gothitelle had lots of moves to play around with in the last slot. I'd test them myself, but I'm on mobile, so are Heal Bell, Taunt, and Magic Coat worth mentioning? Thanks!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am not really a fan of Heal Bell and Magic Coat. I guess they have nice utility value, however, if I am using Goth, its going to be used to weaken the counters and checks for one of my sweepers, and cutting down on a coverage move can limit this. Magic Coat I am really against because in all my time testing Gothitelle, not a single player decided to Taunt it, and all tried to beat it down as quickly as possible. Likewise your not reflecting hazards when HP Fire gets rid of most spikers so there is that as well. Taunt is the only one I can see perhapes working, because you can try and prevent something like a Dragonite setting up on you if you have revealed HP Fire, but quite honestly, all 3 of the moves are sorta niche :/

tehy

Banned deucer.
Pretty good overall, very few mistakes really and good wording.

Although, why are you calling Gothitelle a him? It's your choice but Gothi seems a lot more like a her, JS

Edit:Well, at least I was fast enough to avoid being ninja'd. That's something.

Double edit: That makes sense Eep;I mean, either way it's totally his choice, Just wondering why that choice was made is all

Triple Edit: I don't; the site I use does. I figure that, seeing as where they start and stop is pretty obvious, especially to the person who wrote the analysis, it's not such a big deal. If someone ever tells me it is, I can just put spaces between them

[SET]
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>In exchange for some power and the ability to cripple defensive Pokemon by Ttricking a Choice item onto them, this set grants Gothitelle the freedom to switch attacks and maintain momentum without locking himself into a single move. Gothitelle can therefore be played with less prediction, and can often handle more than one threat before fainting. As usual, the Psychic-type STAB move of choice depends on preference and team support. Psyshock is the preferred move this time, as it has a better chance of OHKOing Tentacruel and Terrakion in sandstorm. With Life Orb and a Modest nature, it guarantees a 2HKO on 0/252 Blissey. Psychic is certainly useful against some physically defensive targets, especially Gliscor and Landorus-T if Gothitelle isn't running Hidden Power Ice. Thunderbolt is reserved for Skarmory and hits Politoed harder, whereas Grass Knot gives Gothitelle a chance to OHKO Hippowdon and make a decent dent in Tyranitar before fainting. As usual, Hidden Power Fire is reserved especially for Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor, while Hidden Power Ice decimates Gliscor and Landorus-T off the bat.</p>
<p>With the absence of Trick, Gothitelle has the option of either maximizing his coverage or crippling faster offensive Pokemon. Signal Beam mainly hits Celebi, OHKOing the specially defensive variant with two Stealth Rock switch-ins while handling other sets quite decently. If for any reason you find Signal Beam unnecessary or bad, Thunder Wave is another option that cripples fast offensive threats, mainly ones that switch in after Gothitelle has eliminated an opposing Pokemon. Gothitelle can also switch into and trap any threat you like and paralyze it at any time in the match, giving him great offensive utility on your team.</p>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread and natures are much the same as on the Choice Specs set. A Modest nature is preferred on this set for a couple of reasons; Gothitelle needs to make up for the decrease in power (especially if he is using Expert Belt) and is also no longer required to outspeed specific threats because he lacks Trick to cripple them. Additionally, if Thunder Wave is used, this compensates somewhat for the Speed loss. The only reason to consider the Timid nature is to outrun and KO or cripple specific threats, including defensive Jirachi, Celebi, and Adamant Breloom.</p>
<p>There are some useful moves to consider in the last slot besides Signal Beam and Thunder Wave. Taunt prevents opponents from setting up or healing, which is an effective strategy against defensive threats attempting to stall Gothitelle out or lay out hazards. Heal Bell allows Gothitelle to heal himself and his teammates of status, and also keep in somewhat good shape in the faces of status users such as Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Jellicent. Last but not least, Gothitelle can use either Fake Tears or Calm Mind to increase his damage output, though due to this set's reckless nature, he is mostly better off attacking two times in succession.</p>
<p>The same teammates mentioned in the Choice Specs set also apply to this one. Remember that teammates should always take advantage of the holes that Gothitelle makes in the opposing team. Therefore, one shouldn't be too concerned about Gothitelle being walled, since Gothitelle himself is used purely for team support. Teammates should also capitalize on the threats that Gothitelle lures in or can't hit, including Pursuit users and several special walls such as Chansey and Celebi (if Gothitelle lacks Signal Beam). As usual, the practical answer to this is to employ Pokemon that can set up easily on them; Substitute Terrakion sets up for free on Chansey and Heatran, while Scizor scares out Tyranitar and opposing Scizor.</p>

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
STUFF STUFF STUFF

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>In exchange for some power and the ability to cripple defensive Pokemon by tricking I am actually unsure of this but lowercase sounds nicer a Choice item onto them, this set grants Gothitelle the freedom to switch attacks and maintain momentum without locking himself ohgod why is this thing male and I can't tell you to change it because it's consistentt with the current analysis into a single move. Gothitelle can therefore be played with less prediction, and can often handle more than one threat before fainting. As usual, the Psychic-type STAB move of choice depends on preference and team support. Psyshock is the preferred move this time, as it has a better chance of OHKOing Tentacruel and Terrakion in sandstorm. With Life Orb and a Modest nature, it also guarantees a 2HKO on 0/252 Blissey. Psychic is certainly useful against some physically defensive targets, especially Gliscor and Landorus-T, (AC) if Gothitelle isn't running Hidden Power Ice. Thunderbolt is reserved for Skarmory and hits Politoed harder, whereas Grass Knot gives Gothitelle a chance to OHKO Hippowdon and make a decent dent in Tyranitar before fainting. As usual, Hidden Power Fire is reserved especially for Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor, while Hidden Power Ice decimates Gliscor and Landorus-T off the bat.</p>

<p>With the absence of Trick, Gothitelle has the option of either maximizing his coverage or crippling faster offensive Pokemon. Signal Beam mainly hits Celebi, OHKOing the specially defensive variant with two Stealth Rock switch-ins while handling other sets quite decently. If for any reason you find Signal Beam unnecessary or bad, Thunder Wave is another option that cripples fast offensive threats, mainly ones that switch in after Gothitelle has eliminated an opposing Pokemon. Gothitelle can also switch into and trap any threat you like and paralyze it at any time in the match, giving him great offensive utility on your team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread and natures are much the same as on the Choice Specs set. A Modest nature is preferred on this set for a couple of reasons; Gothitelle needs to make up for the decrease in power (especially if he is using Expert Belt) and is also no longer required to outspeed specific threats because he lacks Trick to cripple them. The use of Thunder Wave somewhat compensates for the Speed loss, however. Additionally, if Thunder Wave is used, this compensates somewhat for the Speed loss. The only reason to consider a the Timid nature is to outrun and KO or cripple specific threats, including defensive Jirachi, Celebi, and Adamant Breloom.</p>

<p>There are some useful moves to consider in the last slot besides Signal Beam and Thunder Wave. I'd keep this Taunt prevents opponents from setting up or healing, which is an effective strategy against defensive threats attempting to stall Gothitelle out or set up lay out hazards. Heal Bell allows Gothitelle to heal himself and his teammates of status, (RC) and also keep in somewhat good shape in the faces of status users such as Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Jellicent. Last but not least, Gothitelle can use either Fake Tears or Calm Mind to increase his damage output, though due to this set's reckless nature, It doesn't really have to do with the set at all, more just Gothitelle isn't worth to set up with he is mostly better off attacking two times in succession.</p>

<p>The same teammates mentioned in the Choice Specs set also apply to this one. Remember that teammates should always take advantage of the holes that Gothitelle makes in the opposing team. Therefore, one shouldn't be too concerned about Gothitelle being walled, since Gothitelle himself is used purely for team support. Teammates should also capitalize on the threats that Gothitelle lures in or can't hit, including Pursuit users and several special walls such as Chansey and Celebi (if Gothitelle lacks Signal Beam). As usual, the practical answer to this is to employ Pokemon that can set up easily on them; Substitute Terrakion sets up for free on Chansey and Heatran, while Scizor scares out Tyranitar and opposing Scizor.</p>

Not stamping tehy's check because there really isn't much of anything to correct of AG's writing and because you remove the spaces in between paragraphs

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Pretty good overall, very few mistakes really and good wording.

Although, why are you calling Gothitelle a him? It's your choice but Gothi seems a lot more like a her, JS
Shadow Tag Gothitelle is only available as a male (presumably so players can't breed more - par for the course for trollfreak).

GP check. Good job on writing this.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In exchange for some power and the ability to cripple defensive Pokemon by tricking a Choice item onto them, this set grants Gothitelle the freedom to switch attacks and maintain momentum without locking himself into a single move. Gothitelle can therefore be played with less prediction less cautiously, (I'm suggesting this change because I think you're saying that you have to worry less about Gothitelle doing things like using Psychic and being completely helpless against an incoming Tyranitar, which doesn't seem like a situation involving prediction to me, especially as Gothitelle has Shadow Tag; if you disagree however, I'll leave it up to you; anyway also remove comma) and can often handle more than one threat before fainting. As usual, the Psychic-type STAB move of choice depends on preference and team support. Psyshock is the preferred move this time, as it has a better chance of OHKOing Tentacruel and Terrakion in sandstorm. With Life Orb and a Modest nature, it also guarantees a 2HKO on 0/252 Blissey with a little prior damage. Psychic is certainly useful against some physically defensive targets however, especially Gliscor and Landorus-T, (remove comma, unless I'm understanding this wrong and you mean that Psychic is useful against physically defensive targets if Gothitelle isn't running Hidden Power Ice) if Gothitelle isn't running Hidden Power Ice. Thunderbolt is reserved needed for Skarmory and hits Politoed harder, whereas Grass Knot gives Gothitelle a chance to OHKO Hippowdon and make a decent to dent in Tyranitar before fainting. As usual, Hidden Power Fire is reserved especially for Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor, while Hidden Power Ice decimates Gliscor and Landorus-T.</p>

<p>With the absence of Trick, Gothitelle has the option of either maximizing his coverage or crippling faster offensive Pokemon. Signal Beam mainly hits Celebi, OHKOing the specially defensive variant with Expert Belt and two Stealth Rock switch-ins while handling other sets quite decently. If you find Signal Beam unnecessary, Thunder Wave is another option that cripples fast offensive threats, mainly ones that carelessly switch in after Gothitelle has eliminated an opposing Pokemon. Gothitelle can also switch into and trap any threat you like and paralyze it at any time in the match, giving him great offensive utility.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread and natures are much the same as on the Choice Specs set. A Modest nature is preferred on this set for a couple of reasons; Gothitelle needs to make up for the decrease in power (especially if he is using Expert Belt) and is also no longer required to outspeed doesn't benefit as much from outspeeding specific threats because he lacks Trick to cripple them. The use of Thunder Wave also somewhat compensates for the Speed loss, however. The only reason to consider a Timid nature is to outrun and KO or cripple specific threats, including defensive Jirachi, Celebi, and Adamant Breloom.</p>

<p>There are some useful moves to consider in the last slot besides Signal Beam and Thunder Wave. Taunt prevents opponents from setting up or healing, which is an effective strategy against defensive threats attempting to stall Gothitelle out or set up hazards. Heal Bell allows Gothitelle to heal himself and his teammates of status and keep in somewhat good shape in the faces of when facing status users such as Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Jellicent. Last but not least, Gothitelle can use either Fake Tears or Calm Mind to increase his damage output, though he is mostly generally/usually better off attacking two times in succession.</p>

<p>The same teammates mentioned in the Choice Specs set also apply to this one. Remember that teammates should always take advantage of the holes that Gothitelle makes in the opposing team. Therefore, one shouldn't be too concerned about Gothitelle being walled, since as Gothitelle himself is used purely for team support. Teammates should also capitalize on the threats that Gothitelle lures in or can't hit, including Pursuit users and special walls such as Chansey and Celebi (if Gothitelle lacks Signal Beam). As usual, the practical answer to this is to employ Pokemon that can set up easily on them; Substitute Terrakion sets up for free on Chansey and Heatran, while Scizor scares out Tyranitar, Celebi, and opposing Scizor, and wrecks many other threats after a Swords Dance boost.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

AccidentalGreed

And done!

To the uploader: please place this below the Choice Specs set and above the Scarf set. Thanks everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)