Smogon Tournament Finals Game 1 Analysis

I'm just going to preface this with a warning, if you use this thread to complain about OST, your post will get deleted. A lot of us were unhappy with how things turned out but this thread's purpose is to discuss Game 1.

The idea of analyzing matches isn't something I'm a great fan of, but I think analyzing competitive matches of a high level of play gives you access to metagame trends and decisions players are making. You can use this knowledge for your own teams going forward and I think it's something we can really learn from.

So we're going to see how this goes. The point of this is going to respectfully critique or comment on Game 1 of the Official Smogon Tournament Finals. It was actually a great match showcasing some things you should keep in mind as players and I'll provide my comments below the log.

Gr8astard:

Vs.

Destiny Unknown

Battle between gr8astard and DestinyUnknown is underway!

Tier: Standard OU
Mode: Singles
Rule: Unrated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle
Rule: Self-KO Clause

gr8astard sent out Frog! (Politoed)
DestinyUnknown sent out Landorus-T!
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T intimidates gr8astard's Frog!
Gr8astard's Frog's Attack fell!
gr8astard's Frog's Drizzle made it rain!

Start of turn 1
DestinyUnknown called Landorus-T back!
DestinyUnknown sent out Celebi!
Gr8astard's Frog used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
DestinyUnknown's Celebi lost 56% of its health!
Rain continues to fall.
DestinyUnknown's Celebi restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 2
gr8astard called Frog back!
gr8astard sent out Onion! (Celebi)
DestinyUnknown called Celebi back!
DestinyUnknown sent out Jellicent!

Start of turn 3
DestinyUnknown called Jellicent back!
DestinyUnknown sent out Heatran!
Gr8astard's Onion used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around DestinyUnknown's team!
Rain continues to fall.

Start of turn 4
Gr8astard's Onion used U-turn!
It's not very effective...
DestinyUnknown's Heatran lost 3% of its health!
gr8astard called Onion back!
gr8astard sent out Shark! (Garchomp)
DestinyUnknown's Heatran used Lava Plume!
Gr8astard's Shark lost 9% of its health!
Gr8astard's Shark was burned!
Rain continues to fall.
DestinyUnknown's Heatran restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Gr8astard's Shark was hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 5
gr8astard called Shark back!
gr8astard sent out Alligator! (Feraligatr)
DestinyUnknown called Heatran back!
Pointed stones dug into DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T!
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T intimidates gr8astard's Alligator!
Gr8astard's Alligator's Attack fell!
Rain continues to fall.
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 6
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T used U-turn!
Gr8astard's Alligator lost 20% of its health!
Pointed stones dug into DestinyUnknown's Jellicent!
Gr8astard's Alligator used Swords Dance!
Gr8astard's Alligator's Attack sharply rose!
Rain continues to fall.
DestinyUnknown's Jellicent restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 7
gr8astard called Alligator back!
gr8astard sent out Onion! (Celebi)
DestinyUnknown's Jellicent used Will-O-Wisp!
Gr8astard's Onion was burned!
Rain continues to fall.
Gr8astard's Onion was hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 8
DestinyUnknown called Jellicent back!
DestinyUnknown sent out Forretress!
Pointed stones dug into DestinyUnknown's Forretress!
Gr8astard's Onion used U-turn!
DestinyUnknown's Forretress lost 2% of its health!
High Impulse is watching the battle.
gr8astard called Onion back!
gr8astard sent out Alligator! (Feraligatr)
Rain continues to fall.
DestinyUnknown's Forretress restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 9
DestinyUnknown's Forretress used Volt Switch!
It's super effective!
Gr8astard's Alligator lost 23% of its health!
DestinyUnknown called Forretress back!
Rain continues to fall.
Picollo is watching the battle.

Start of turn 10
Gr8astard's Alligator used Crunch!
It's super effective!
DestinyUnknown's Jellicent lost 93% of its health!
DestinyUnknown's Jellicent fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T intimidates gr8astard's Alligator!
Gr8astard's Alligator's Attack fell!

Start of turn 11
DestinyUnknown sent out Tyranitar!
Pointed stones dug into DestinyUnknown's Tyranitar!
DestinyUnknown's Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
The sandstorm rages.
Gr8astard's Alligator is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Start of turn 12
Gr8astard's Alligator used Aqua Jet!
It's super effective!
DestinyUnknown's Tyranitar lost 87% of its health!
DestinyUnknown's Tyranitar fainted!
The sandstorm rages.
Gr8astard's Alligator is buffeted by the sandstorm!
DestinyUnknown sent out Celebi!
Pointed stones dug into DestinyUnknown's Celebi!

Start of turn 13
DestinyUnknown's Celebi used Giga Drain!
It's super effective!
Gr8astard's Alligator lost 44% of its health!
Gr8astard's Alligator fainted!
Gr8astard's Alligator had its energy drained!
The sandstorm rages.
DestinyUnknown's Celebi is buffeted by the sandstorm!
DestinyUnknown's Celebi restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
gr8astard sent out Pony! (Keldeo)

Start of turn 14
Gr8astard's Pony used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
DestinyUnknown's Celebi lost 57% of its health!
DestinyUnknown's Celebi fainted!

The sandstorm rages.
Gr8astard's Pony is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Start of turn 15
Gr8astard's Pony used Surf!
DestinyUnknown's Forretress lost 63% of its health!

It's super effective!
Gr8astard's Pony lost 22% of its health!
Pointed stones dug into DestinyUnknown's Heatran!

The sandstorm rages.
Gr8astard's Pony is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Start of turn 16
gr8astard called Pony back!
gr8astard sent out Shark! (Garchomp)
DestinyUnknown's Heatran used Protect!
But it failed!
The sandstorm rages.

Start of turn 17
DestinyUnknown called Heatran back!
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T intimidates gr8astard's Shark!
Gr8astard's Shark's Attack fell!
Gr8astard's Shark used Earthquake!
It had no effect on DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T!
The sandstorm rages.

Start of turn 18
gr8astard called Shark back!
gr8astard sent out Frog! (Politoed)
gr8astard's Frog's Drizzle made it rain!
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T used Earthquake!
Gr8astard's Frog lost 65% of its health!
Rain continues to fall.

Start of turn 19
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T used Earthquake!
Gr8astard's Frog lost 34% of its health!
Gr8astard's Frog fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
gr8astard sent out Pony! (Keldeo)

Start of turn 20
DestinyUnknown's Forretress lost 3% of its health!
DestinyUnknown's Forretress fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
Pointed stones dug into DestinyUnknown's Heatran!

Start of turn 21
DestinyUnknown's Heatran used Protect!
DestinyUnknown's Heatran protected itself!
DestinyUnknown's Heatran protected itself!
Rain continues to fall.

Start of turn 22
It's super effective!
DestinyUnknown's Heatran lost 93% of its health!
DestinyUnknown's Heatran fainted!
Rain continues to fall.
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T intimidates gr8astard's Pony!
Gr8astard's Pony's Attack fell!

Start of turn 23
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T lost 74% of its health!
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T fainted!
gr8astard won the battle!

Celebi

The first thing I'd note is that both teams shared only 1 Pokemon: Celebi. I think more and more that you have to consider this a Pokemon that is almost staple now. The most broken threats in the tier are sharing Celebi as a common weakness (Landorus-I, Keldeo, and Breloom spring to mind). How much did Celebi influence the teams here? Gr8 was using a Hidden Power Bug Keldeo solely for opposing Celebi. It's one thing to see that as a laddering decision but as a tournament decision, it's a risk he takes on the theory that Celebi is too good to just hope that it won't be used.

When Gr8 brought in his Feraligatr, Celebi was there to at least stop it on DU's side. It's just so good as a general stop to what they're doing just based on it's typing alone. Why aren't you using this?! I just feel like that without Celebi, I'm going to get swept by random threats right now way too often, specifically on ladder but in any high level of play.

Risk/Reward

I might be wrong on this one, but I'm not seeing the reward to DestinyUnknown's risky Jellicent play vs Feraligatr. When Jellicent had switched in to Feraligatr the first time, the Feraligatr switched out to Celebi. But Feraligatr comes in again and uses Swords Dance. If I'm DU, I have to be asking myself "Why would he waste a turn of set up once again?" Chalking "it switched out of Jellicent the first time" doesn't seem like smart management considering how pivotal Jellicent is to this team. It provides a stone cold wall to Keldeo, non Thunder Jirachi, Politoed, Garchomp, and Feraligatr if it doesn't have Crunch later. Gr8 can easily be thinking that he doesn't want to reveal Crunch on the chance that Jellicent switched the first time around.

With how key Jellicent was to DU's side, I think he could have formed a gameplan to win surrounding Landorus/Heatran + Jellicent for Gr8's entire team, while keeping Celebi and sacrifices in reserve for Feraligatr if he does have Crunch for Jellicent. At worst, he sacrifices one Pokemon to Feraligatr to ensure his board position and have a constant string of checks and counters for Gr8's team. From there, he just has to play around Feraligatr, rather than playing into it.

It goes to a key point that should be established: How am I going to win this game? Jellicent might have been the stone cold nuts to Feraligatr, but its role against the entire team was too high to value it that cheaply. Also consider the fact that Gr8's team could theoretically struggle with Jellicent so much if in fact his Feraligatr doesn't have Crunch. Would Gr8 really have brought a team like that? Specifically with Keldeo? It seems obvious to me that Feraligatr would be a lure in some way to kill Jellicent and allow Keldeo to move forward.

I might be entirely off base here so please if anyone wants to correct me don't shy away. Hopefully I can get DUNK and Gr8 to commentate on some of their thoughts and rationale behind the match but this will serve as a starting point of analysis for us to see what might be on the upward trend in OU (Celebi seems to be the key mon moving forward IMO).

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
i put up a video that records my live thoughts as it happened. this is without any knowledge of game 2 stuff or any real analysis. i, too, thought that gr8 had crunch even when he switched out, since that is a common trap. you can see it here (2 parts because i was interrupted, sorry): part 1: http://youtu.be/fNh9tT381lo part 2: http://youtu.be/INpIMDDVuL0

other than that, i totally agree with you. gr8 was VERY jellicent weak, and if dunk could keep sand up (not hard when gr8 doesnt have a spinner), even jirachi would get walled by heatran and landorus-t. that was a poor analysis of risk vs reward, and i'd call it a poor play by dunk rather than a good bluff by gr8. i mean, it was obviously smart of him to switch the first time, but the key tells such as him swords dancing and the rest of his team being entirely unable to handle jellicent should have tipped off dunk a little more.

although, kudos to him for seeing a path to victory and executing it. that ice beam turn 1 was a good play because it meant that celebi couldn't switch back in to eat feraligatr waterfall. i think he should have either just gone to jelli or recovered up instead of doubling, anyway, because celebi was pretty important to him (before he knew keld had hp bug)

overall gr8 definitely played better and deserved game 1

I think that Gr8 switched out the first time in order to see if DU would scout for Crunch with Forretress or something, since Jelli-Tran really put a huge halt in Gr8's team, although Expert Belt Keldeo could have caught DU off guard later in the game, though Jelli would have been absolutely vital against HP Bug Keldeo

The second SD was a huge hint that the Feraligatr had Crunch though, but honestly, nothing on DU's team could really switch into Gatr. He was probably better off Saccing Forretress or something, but oh well.

As BadAss said, Hugo played the game better and deserved the win

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Awesome to see the great Celebii reneissance so late into the bw2 metagame. The tornadus-t and and genesect bans have really caused some major upvheals in the tier.

The turn 4 burn could really have been a gamebreaker for gr8astard, but that was some beautiful late game prediction. But hats off to DU for totally mitigating and stopping garchomp in it's tracks with continuous pivot pressure from the CelebiLando U-turn core

I don't know about you people but IMHO Jellicent was thrown away too cheaply considering he singlehandedly walls/tanks half the opposition (and potentially Feraligatr if not for crunch)

Lategame Keldeo sweep was standard fare nothing remarkable.

Can anyone explain the clutch play involving Jellicent. WHY would you want to switch it onto a Set up Feraligatr since Crunch is a standard on such sets?

Lavos

Banned deucer.
wasn't really a match you'd expect from the finalists of the ost9. gr8astard was clearly the better player in this particular battle, and despite what i believe was a slightly advantageous matchup in destinyunknown's favor, he managed to make some very high level double-switches and predictions to turn the game around. it also helped that dunk threw his jellicent away for nothing, the one pokemon that was really stopping gr8 from sweeping with feraligatr. but yeah i think when it comes right down to it gr8 just outplayed his opp and won in a deserving manner. i would advise people reading this thread to go over the first 10 turns or so, they show real mastery by gr8 in positioning himself to start knocking stuff out.

Neliel

Sacred Sword
If you ever used feraligatr, you know that crunch is still a move that it can run to bypass jellicent, not standard but usable. I considered it even before keldeo was released in the past, so if you now see a team with keldeo and feraligatr, its pretty much obvious that feraligatr has crunch.

Awesome to see the great Celebii reneissance so late into the bw2 metagame. The tornadus-t and and genesect bans have really caused some major upvheals in the tier.

The turn 4 burn could really have been a gamebreaker for gr8astard, but that was some beautiful late game prediction. But hats off to DU for totally mitigating and stopping garchomp in it's tracks with continuous pivot pressure from the CelebiLando U-turn core

I don't know about you people but IMHO Jellicent was thrown away too cheaply considering he singlehandedly walls/tanks half the opposition (and potentially Feraligatr if not for crunch)

Lategame Keldeo sweep was standard fare nothing remarkable.

Can anyone explain the clutch play involving Jellicent. WHY would you want to switch it onto a Set up Feraligatr since Crunch is a standard on such sets?
Sorry but I'm not sure what you're referring to about the DU mitigating Garchomp. Garchomp was taken out of the equation on that turn 4 burn and is never needed again anyway after Jellicent is taken down (its only appearance post-burn was to work Rain up eventually, because with Tyranitar down, the Keldeo just sweeps in Rain). With Lando, DUnk never needs to worry about the burned Garchomp.

To get into Dunk's head, I think with Landorus-T on Fera, he feels confident in just scouting out the moveset. Feraligatr is at -1 from Intimidate and he can see if he Ice Punches with Jellicent. In fact, rereading the log, I hadn't even noticed the -1 Intimidate the first time, giving Fera only +1 after SD. If anything, that just makes the case stronger that he had Crunch and is desperate on making sure he can kill Jellicent with it. Having seen that, DUnk can stay in and Wisp if he wants (although, I really just prefer switching there with how pivotal Jellicent is) if he's confident the Feraligatr is coming out. But like I said, this just makes a stronger case that he has Crunch because he was willing to Swords Dance again despite taking damage. Hindsights 20/20 but this should have been a tell-tale sign for DUnk to get the hell out of there if he is bothering to Swords Dance again. If he can't hit Jellicent, then he is switching out anyway so your switching won't affect anything.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Great thread, kd24! Also, thanks for linking to your video commentaries, Bad Ass, I enjoyed the listen as much as I enjoyed reading your post (I also watched your commentary on game 2 lmao).

I don't have much to add other than to say that I am not a fan of DUnk's team choice. I imagine he was attempting some bulky balance team that can take hits from anything, but the major flaws in such defensive teams are the lack of firepower. This allows dangerous set-up sweeper (see Feraligatr) to set up pretty much for free and rip huge holes into the team's defenses, allowing the rest of gr8astard's offensive core to invade the open wound caused by the gator bite to further destroy DUnk. DestinyUnknown's balance approach makes it much harder to pressure the opponent and are vulnerable to be smacked around by being forced easily into the defensive. This sort of playstyle tends to encourage passive play, which usually is an uphill battle in a metagame with powerful nukes everywhere. gr8stard certainly outplayed DUnk, but he also ended up building a better team that improved his odds at winning substantially.

I don't quite agree with that, Pocket. Dunk had excellent way of pressureing gra8's team with everything except of Gatr being walled by Landorus+Heatran+Jellicent. If dunk had managed to a layer of spikes down, he could have forced Gatr out with Celebi everytime it tried to set up and worn it down that way.
Also dunk was using BKC's team, he had talked about in the sand stall thread. Not using his own teams and losing despite team advantage by falling for an obvious bluff, shows who was the better player.

don't rip on dunk for using my sand stall, i gave him to him. that team covers almost everything but clearly it doesn't do so hot against feraligatr! it also doesn't "give free set up opportunities to everything" like pocket seems to be insinuating (i'd know i've been using it for a year) but i digress. regardless i think dunk could've won but it's already been pointed out that he didn't analyze risk vs reward as well as he could've.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
don't rip on dunk for using my sand stall, i gave him to him. that team covers almost everything but clearly it doesn't do so hot against feraligatr! it also doesn't "give free set up opportunities to everything" like pocket seems to be insinuating (i'd know i've been using it for a year) but i digress. regardless i think dunk could've won but it's already been pointed out that he didn't analyze risk vs reward as well as he could've.
That could be why he used Feraligatr in the first place!

I love it when high level players use unconventional threats in serious matches. It's one of my favorite aspects about competitive Pokemon, and imo of the things that separates a top tier player from regular player. I don't want to hype Feraligatr, but it really is a near perfect choice for gr8's team, since it lures out Jellicent and takes it out so that Keldeo can have a significantly easier time sweeping.

Deluks917

Ride on Shooting Star
I think Dunk had a team advanatage. Idk why anyone would blame this on BKC's team. Celebi + Jellicent + Weather is alot of coverage against Water HO. Politoed was choiced. I think if he had been more conservative he good have stalled gr8 out and won the weather war followed by winning. Gr8's team had no longevity.

Everything except feraligatr was hard walled once garchomp got burnt.

One thing I noticed that gave gr8 an advantage was the start. In the first three turns, gr8 gets off stealth rocks and weakens the opposing Celebi, while Dunk gets nothing.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ah so it's BKC's team, hehehe. My post still stands that defensive teams have a lot of difficulty building momentum, and there are a handful of nukes in OU that this team pretty much auto-loses to (like Duggy Sun, mixed Kyurem, and Landorus - TTar offensive cores). Kinda risky in a tour finals imo. At least with a team possessing a strong offensive core, one can hope to destroy opponents' team before they can execute their offensive gameplan.

it doesn't auto-lose to duggy sun or mixed kyurem... they're issues, sure, but not auto-losses. i'll give you landorus though cause he's a broken motherfucker especially paired with ttar!

I have the same sandstall team as DU, except I have latias over celebi, which would have svaed him maybe. Also cool to see gr8 naming one of his mons after me (lol).

The two points in this match that really cost Dunk where the HP bug keldeo and crunch feraligatr. You can't say that it was unexpected, looking at gr8's team jellicent would really mess it up if used correctly, so running crunch gatr really helped him out. Dunk's lead choice was honestly poor, expecting a chomp lead was a little too obvious. Another mistake was not double switching to tyranitar against feraligatr. It might seem weird to do against a mon with fighting and water attacks, but he would either crunch or switch (into celebi). From there gr8 would be in a hard place. If he superpowered landorus-t or celebi could sponge it easily. If he went for swords dance gatr could be left vulnerable to CB stone edge from tyranitar.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i'll give you landorus though cause he's a broken motherfucker especially paired with ttar!
team built before bw2 released losing to SF Landorus? no way

gr8 definitely played better in this match, but i know how much unfamiliarity with a team can do that to you.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Ok since I was playing the battle I guess it could be interesting that I post or something... The first thing is that the matchup wasn't good at all for me, it was pretty difficult to win from start and while I definitely could have played better there was not much I could do. The main problem was Feraligatr, because I knew it had Crunch, but I couldn't use Celebi as a counter because it was -Spd and I supposed Gr8astard was running more speed on Feraligatr (more than enough to outspeed Celebi) and losing Celebi definitely wasn't the best option. And well, if you look at the teams again, there was little I could do against HP Bug Keldeo + Crunch Feraligatr + Swords Dance Garchomp, it was a pretty bad matchup and that's all there is to say, I find it kind of funny that if I had used the other team I had I mind I would have won without the need to predict any turn (but yeah, that's how BW2 works, this metagame is a piece of shit)

Ojama

Banned deucer.
I also have the same team as DestinyUnknown and I was really surprised that DU lost this game. In my opinion, DU has the Team advantage. I'm probably the one who used this playstyle the most so I know what I'm talking about : DU should have won this game.

The biggest issue was Garchomp and he even burned it very quickly so I thought it was game over. DU made some mistakes, especially against Feraligatr.

Start of turn 9
It's super effective!
Gr8astard's Alligator lost 23% of its health!

Rain continues to fall.
Picollo is watching the battle.
+

Start of turn 6
DestinyUnknown's Landorus-T used U-turn!
Gr8astard's Alligator lost 20% of its health!

Rain continues to fall.
So DU knew Landorus-T was faster, why did he send out Jellicent against Feraligatr ? It obviously has Crunch, who doesn't run Crunch on Feraligatr ? By sending Landorus-T after Volt Switching, Feraligatr would have been at +1 and so wouldn't have been able to kill Landorus-T with Aqua Jet +1. He also could have sent Tyranitar to set up the Sandstorm and then switched out to Forretress for example (Fera was at 50% and so is 2HKO'd by Voltswitch + SandStorm). Saccing Jellicent was the biggest mistake here, Jellicent is Keldeo's main counter in the Team, it is not Celebi because of HP Bug. Unless it's SubMind Jirachi (and so Heatran + Tar wall it), Jellicent walled almost Gr8's whole Team, especially with Chomper burned. Gr8 didn't even have a spinner which DU should have exploited as quickly as possible.

DU clearly had this game won only by matchup but Gr8 did well and DU really missplayed against Feraligatr.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
The problem is that +1 Aqua Jet did kill Landorus-T, that's why I couldn't send it and call it a day. Same goes for Forretress in case he had Waterfall as it kills at +2 (and in the case he didn't, he could just Swords Dance again while I used Volt Switch and be at +4 and in Torrent range). And yeah, I knew Landorus-T was faster but I had no clue about what his speed was (and it was, most likely, faster than Celebi because Celebi was -Spd as I already said)

Ojama

Banned deucer.
For U-Turn, it's stronger with a Sassy nature and it's always cool to hit U-Turn after your opponent to keep the momentum.

Fast BandTar, Scizor, and in this case DU feared Feraligatr would now outspeed with a -Spe nature. U-turn gains some power, but it's uninvested and unSTABbed. Not a wise teambuilding decision imo.

Actually the "low" damages that uturn did to Fera could give you a hint about his bulky spread (if that is adamant LandoT) but in the heat of the battle thats another story.

this battle isnt even worth an analysis to be honest. no ones learning anything from this particular battle because, to be quite honest, du should have won the game. he had a hard counter to everything on the other dudes team. gr8 is known to be a lucky player on the ladder, but he basically got handed game 1 on a platter and he took advantage of misplays on du's part so he deserved to win the game, and he won it clean which is rare in a fnials game.

the game was over from turn 1. du should have led celebi because it had a favorable matchup against everything on gr8s team. that or tyranitar because tyranitar i bet was banded and could probably have won on turn 1 (stone edge / pursuit mindgame turn 1 and it was likely over for gr8). landorus was a horrible turn 1 pivot (why would you lead with something that has a horrible matchup against rain).

as for the actual battle, because celebi was crippled turn 1 and wasn't given a chance to recover, it was gg. feraligatr could have swept the entire team if gr8 decided to use aqua jet on celebi (i think it was a ko, don't quote me). garchomp could have been countered by landorus, and because there was nothing else physical that could have whittled away landorus (like a terrakion or scizor), it wasn't as big of a threat as people are making it out to be.

hazards + smart switching without taking risks would have won the game for du. gr8 is known to take risks and overpredict, however, so could have went either way actually midgame, but there was no possibility for du to even control this game after turn 1. theres your analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)