Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

qpie

predatory
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but would it be possible to implement a way to sort the 'Watch battles' list by tier or rating of both players.

I think you could just add a search bar to search for a specific user, or an option to automate or manually update the list of players online, as sometimes I find it hard to locate a specific person with all the constant updates.

could you improve battle animations
and make the camera more close up to your pokemon
sorta like black and white
....no hate if this was suggested before please

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
I think you could just add a search bar to search for a specific user, or an option to automate or manually update the list of players online, as sometimes I find it hard to locate a specific person with all the constant updates.
ctrl - f, /whois user, /challenge user, you can click on their name to see their rooms and whatnot. Easiest way is if you are pm'ing someone or something, just click on their name.

could you improve battle animations
and make the camera more close up to your pokemon
sorta like black and white
....no hate if this was suggested before please
Could you be more specific? what do you mean by "improve battle animations". Whats wrong with them? how can they be improved?

Also I'm not sure what you mean by zoom in more... the sprites are the same size they are in game (pixel wise anyway) and I'm not sure what this helps/accomplishes. not to mention this seems very low on the priority of things to do.

April Fool's Joke Annual Tradition

Hi Everyone,

My first post ever and I attribute it to the awesomeness that was the April Fool's Joke. My suggestion is that this becomes an annual tradition and that there is an option (seperate server) where the battle animations are "fan-art". I thought it was both hilarious and awesome and I really hope that it is available as an option from here on out.

If not the annual tradition would be cool!

Thanks!

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just a small thing but i find that new players don't know how to start battles and often get frustrated in the main chat. This was my experience as well and it was becuase the default format is random battles. When i first saw it, i took it to mean battle with a random opponent. My suggestion is either a short introduction, instructing new players what to do added to the registration screen, or changing of the name of randbats to something like random team battle. I dunno, it's just an idea but i thought it might help.
Cheers

Hi Everyone,

My first post ever and I attribute it to the awesomeness that was the April Fool's Joke. My suggestion is that this becomes an annual tradition and that there is an option (seperate server) where the battle animations are "fan-art". I thought it was both hilarious and awesome and I really hope that it is available as an option from here on out.

If not the annual tradition would be cool!

Thanks!
If it's annual it loses its effect

i would like to suggest a system to run tournaments in PS that would be awesome:)
If you mean an official script, not sure how possible that is, since there are so many tournaments being run at the same time. Utilizing Challonge is probably the easiest method at the moment.

Just a small thing but i find that new players don't know how to start battles and often get frustrated in the main chat. This was my experience as well and it was becuase the default format is random battles. When i first saw it, i took it to mean battle with a random opponent. My suggestion is either a short introduction, instructing new players what to do added to the registration screen, or changing of the name of randbats to something like random team battle. I dunno, it's just an idea but i thought it might help.
Cheers
It's honestly not THAT complicated to figure out.

save teams to a players username, so if they sign into their username on different systems all the teams they have already built on other systems will be readily available to use on new systems to save having to rebuild all your teams every time you play on a new computer

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OK, there's some pressing issues that are nagging players atm (especially tournament players)

- remove the "join battle" feature - having a spectator join a game because a player disconnected is really dumb; idk why the feature is there in the first place

- tone down on pixels - it's really getting out of hand now; 4% leftovers recovery & 7% life orb recoil, etc. One of my teammates just lost a match, because the opponent's Pokemon didn't die from LO recoil when it only had 8% left.

I appreciate all that you do, but these features are really ticking people off / making people hate on PS! :<

- tone down on pixels - it's really getting out of hand now; 4% leftovers recovery & 7% life orb recoil, etc. One of my teammates just lost a match, because the opponent's Pokemon didn't die from LO recoil when it only had 8% left.
I noticed this in a few matches today!!! And had no idea what was going on. A Yanmega I was against didn't properly take LO recoil and one of my many Lefties holders had the 4% healing. Really weird...

jrp

Banned deucer.
Apologies but I am not incredibly computer savvy. What is this link? Is it safe? I'd like some details before I click it.

Thanks!
that is a link to a server with the sprites

the link itself stands for showdown. april fools day. pokemonsimulator.us

a PS mod would not openly post malware in the PS forum x_x

that is a link to a server with the sprites

the link itself stands for showdown. april fools day. pokemonsimulator.us

a PS mod would not openly post malware in the PS forum x_x

Thanks! Haha yeah I actually don't know how to determine who is a mod and who isn't (new to the forums), but even so you can never be too careful right?

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Would it be possible to have a +/- before the battle begins to know how much your ACRE and Glicko2 would change if you win or lose? This helps laddering and also it's a quick (though not entirely reliable) way of knowing how much prediction you need against a unskilled/skilled player. Sorry if this has been suggested already.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I noticed this in a few matches today!!! And had no idea what was going on. A Yanmega I was against didn't properly take LO recoil and one of my many Lefties holders had the 4% healing. Really weird...
The point is that it emulates cartridge mechanics. If you're playing on random Wi-Fi, in a VGC regional or whatever on an actual DS and game cart, all you see is the animated HP bar (which I guess is 48 pixels wide). You don't know the exact percentage health an opponent has, only a good approximation. "8%" health isn't really 8% health, it's an estimate displayed for your convenience. It's actually 4/48 pixels, were you playing on a cartridge, which could be anywhere from 8.33~% to 10.4-ish% health and you're taking a risk assuming that Life Orb recoil will kill, since you don't actually know the exact health its user has remaining (possibly 1 more HP than the recoil). Leftovers is always healing the same amount but rounding error can make the estimate lowball it on occasion.

Perhaps the implementation can be improved but IIRC everyone got pissed off when the mechanic was first implemented accurately and percentages were (briefly) not displayed at all, which is true authenticy since on a cart you'd have to manually eye the HP bars to estimate the opponent's health, so that won't work. Instead I might suggest the percentages display the upper boundary rather than lower, that way people can plan worst case scenario rather than end up getting fooled. It's like how people EV to guarantee the KO with, or survival against, particular attacks. Making a move one thinks is guaranteed when it isn't, whether it's "my opponent will die to LO recoil without me needing to attack" or "I only EVed my Gastrodon to survive a Dragon Gem Draco Meteor 80% of the time," can easily lose you a game when your opponent survives with 1 HP to get another attack or your Gastrodon dies to a max damage roll.

The thing with the former case is that it isn't player error that causes a poor decision to be made, it's the simulator giving misleading information. Err on the side of caution with the displayed percentages; I expect my 8% opponent to die to LO recoil. A 10% opponent is another matter, that could be something like 31/309 HP and I can make my move taking into account that possibility. Technically a high display can also be misleading, perhaps I don't pursue a possible KO because I think it impossible for example, but that's generally played around more easily than the low display. Better false positives that causes more cautious play than false negatives that cause game-losing moves to be made.

On a similar note, maybe do away with the debug messages on the accuracy checks? ;[ I shouldn't be able to know my opponent has auto-boosted evasion (Sand Veil, Snow Cloak, Brightpowder/Lax Incense) the first time I throw an attack at them unless it causes me to miss a 100% accurate attack.

For what it's worth, if you need the exact pixel display, you can hover over the % display in the battle log to see how much damage in 48ths was dealt. I agree that perhaps the percentages should be rounded up instead though.

One small suggestion: the /data command should show the PP of a move.

Use this patch in /js/utilichart.js to add this feature:
Code:
diff -u -- a/utilichart.js b/utilichart.js
--- a/utilichart.js	2013-04-05 16:40:43.374685008 +0200
+++ b/utilichart.js	2013-04-05 16:52:58.631828031 +0200
@@ -248,7 +248,8 @@

text += '<span class="col labelcol">'+(move.category!=='Status'?('<em>Power</em><br />'+(move.basePower||'&mdash;')):'')+'</span> ';
 		text += '<span class="col widelabelcol"><em>Accuracy</em><br />'+(move.accuracy && move.accuracy!==true?move.accuracy+'%':'&mdash;')+'</span> ';
-		
+		text += '<span class="col labelcol"><em>PP</em><br />'+move.pp+'</span> ';		
+
 		text += '<span class="col movedesccol">'+sanitize(move.shortDesc || move.desc)+'</span> ';

text += '</a></li>';

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
One small suggestion: the /data command should show the PP of a move.

Use this patch in /js/utilichart.js to add this feature:
Code:
diff -u -- a/utilichart.js b/utilichart.js
--- a/utilichart.js	2013-04-05 16:40:43.374685008 +0200
+++ b/utilichart.js	2013-04-05 16:52:58.631828031 +0200
@@ -248,7 +248,8 @@

text += '<span class="col labelcol">'+(move.category!=='Status'?('<em>Power</em><br />'+(move.basePower||'&mdash;')):'')+'</span> ';
 		text += '<span class="col widelabelcol"><em>Accuracy</em><br />'+(move.accuracy && move.accuracy!==true?move.accuracy+'%':'&mdash;')+'</span> ';
-		
+		text += '<span class="col labelcol"><em>PP</em><br />'+move.pp+'</span> ';		
+
 		text += '<span class="col movedesccol">'+sanitize(move.shortDesc || move.desc)+'</span> ';

text += '</a></li>';
You can submit your own code to the GitHub: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown for the server and: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown-Client for client

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Instead I might suggest the percentages display the upper boundary rather than lower, that way people can plan worst case scenario rather than end up getting fooled.
Actually, we already do that now.

The problem, as it turns out, is that sometimes the upper boundary is worst case, and sometimes the lower boundary is worst case, depending on the situation.

sorry i meant making every animation unique to that attack im not sure if its possible
but my previous request stays in there too
importing the "circles" where your pokemon stands you know what i mean

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Clarification of the rule "minimodding"

In my opinion, we need to clarify the rule of "minimodding" better.

I won't point any fingers at names, but a lot of the PS Staff disagree about the rule of minimodding. We all know that it is obviously against the rules to say "mute him, ban him, kick him, etc", and for obvious reasons.

BUT the needed clarification part is whether or not you may correct someone, by telling them that they are breaking a rule, what rule they are breaking and explaining the consequnces. Here is my experience with minimodding as a rule, and how it has confused me a lot.

I am a user of voiced rank on PS, and I used to think that it was fine to say "[username], please dont break this and this rule", but then a moderator (again, I won't point fingers) PMed me explaining that I was minimodding by telling other users the rules. I of course obeyed, and put myself in the mindset, that I should just not interfere with other users breaking rules.

Though here today, someone asks a different member of the staff, that then goes on tell the chat that it is fine to correct people that are rule breaking. This staff member even encouraged us voices to write !rules if someone broke them.

I hope that the PS Staff will get together and discuss the true meaning of the rule "minimodding", and possibly find a happy medium, because it would help many users like me to understand what we may and may not do.

~Lagalaga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)