Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is has been mentioned yet but it's pretty interesting: in the World Hobby Fair exhibition there was a battle which showed Fennekin using Psychic. There weren't any particularly strange moves that Chespin used, and Froakie used Bounce but that's probably flavour-related. So Fennekin evo for Fire/Psychic pls

Yay, Smogon is back! =)

Now then, as for Honedge(who is btw probably my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon so far) , as far as evolving goes, I could see it going both ways, but tbh I'm leaning towards him not evolving. See, it would make sense for him to evolve into, say, a possessed suit of armor or something, but I feel that would be quite a big leap from just a sword. He could also get turn into a bigger sword or something, but there's no real point to that. His design doesn't really look first-stage to me either, though I guess he could have a prevo maybe?

fennekin's always been kinda pegged for fire/psychic ever since it was shown using confusion, which was one of the first moves it was shown using if i recall correctly. i'll laugh if gamefreak is just pulling the wool over our eyes, though.

what would you think it'd evolve from? i can't... really imagine what would become a sword. a knife, maybe?

NIL SINE SMOOGN.

Anyway, Honedge... I like his typing. From his looks it seems like his a standalone Pokemon. Competitive wise I don't think he'd be OU, though it's too early to tell without seeing his stats or evolution(if any). The typing is certainly interesting defensively. Beats Steel/Psychic defensive-wise. Immunity to Normal, Fighting and Poison, while resisting what Steel resists (except for Dark and Ghost) is very interesting indeed. However, we shouldn't just flip over his type just yet before we see his other information.

And hey it learns Swords Dance! (trollfreak didn't troll... this time).

I don't think this is has been mentioned yet but it's pretty interesting: in the World Hobby Fair exhibition there was a battle which showed Fennekin using Psychic. There weren't any particularly strange moves that Chespin used, and Froakie used Bounce but that's probably flavour-related. So Fennekin evo for Fire/Psychic pls
I don't think this is has been mentioned yet
don't think this is has been mentioned
It... has... been mentioned. In fact, it's been mentioned multiple times.

This is possibly one of the best designs for a steel/ghost that they could have come up with. If it is going to evolve into a knight, it will probably have to evolve twice, just saying.

Well, I don't know how to edit posts in this and this technically isn't double-posting. So there.
Between Hitotsuki, Monorpale and Honedge there seems to be a theme of oneness to the names. This could suggest an evo (although hopefully one not as dumb as Dugtrio...)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'll be updating the OP within a few days. I will most likely consolidate a lot of the information and link to the main Pokémon website, considering they have pretty much everything available there. If you have any suggestions for the OP/this thread/OI in general, feel free to leave me a profile message.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I'm sorry but:
Shedinja, Banette, Rotom-Mower, Rotom-Washer, Rotom-Fan, Rotom-Oven, Rotom-Fridge, Cofagrigus, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure, Golett, Golurk, I mean holy hell are people are just looking for something to bitch about now? Ghost possession hasn't been an original concept since Ruby & Sapphire.
We've also had way stupider Pokemon concepts than a sword. (See everything and I mean literally everything with mineral as it's only egg group: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mineral_(Egg_Group))
Honedge is pretty cool comparatively.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I'm really liking Honedge from what I've seen. Design is cool enough, the unsheathing thing is pretty sweet, and obviously its type is borderline game-changing. It would be preferred if it was more defensive [cause I mean it looks fast and frail imo (it could pull a durant though, and have a random high defense just cause of its steel typing)], but even if its defenses are lackluster, I feel that a physically defensive set just to poop all over Terrakion and Scizor will be very viable - I can't wait to try it out :D

Also a spinblocker that resists dragon and isn't weak to dark/could slice up Tyranitar before it pursuits :]

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but Fennekin can learn Psychic. Does that give a more confirmation that the leaked rumors are true? Also, Honedge is a pretty cool pokemon with a unique typing. At first I wasn't so sure like so many others, but it grew on me.

I'm sorry but:
Shedinja, Banette, Rotom-Mower, Rotom-Washer, Rotom-Fan, Rotom-Oven, Rotom-Fridge, Cofagrigus, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure, Golett, Golurk, I mean holy hell are people are just looking for something to bitch about now? Ghost possession hasn't been an original concept since Ruby & Sapphire.
We've also had way stupider Pokemon concepts than a sword. (See everything and I mean literally everything with mineral as it's only egg group: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mineral_(Egg_Group))
Honedge is pretty cool comparatively.
nah dude. rotom had a face and stuff. i'm not one of those people who're like BAWWWW NO ANIMAL NO POKEMON because that's bullshit but it just looks like a straight-up floating sword to me, you know? still, it's definitely a cool concept... i just wish that it was more obviously a pokemon - looks more like something from legend of zelda imo... and, you know, i think i remember a floating sword enemy from one of those games...

Reposting this from Serebii:
Myself said:
Anyways... I am not sure if this is posted here before but Chespin in the new Japanese trailer has 57-59 Base HP and Helioptile has 48 Base HP with no investments.

Edit: Also Fennekin needs 53-66 Base Speed to outspeed Level 50 Zoroark if the Fennekin is between Level 100-80(Noivern was Level 80 in the trailers) with no investments for both of them.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hmm, just because it's a Pokemon doesn't mean it has to have a clearly defined 2 eyes and a mouth and a nose and 2 ears and one moustache face. Especially among ghosts, this trend has been bucked before. See: Golett, Golurk, Cofag, Frillish, Jellicent, Dusknoir, Yamask, Drifloon, Drifblim.

Yes, most of these pokes have something that could be considered eyes. But so does the sheath of Honedge. I think a large part of this is just anti-anything-new more than anything else.

Concerning the pronunciation of Honedge, however, it's actually kind of interesting. The word is obviously a portmanteau of Hone and Edge, which would suggest that it would be pronounced "Ownage". It could also be prounounced like "On Edge". Either way, it's going to confuse the fuck out of new pokemon players watching videos of people fighting with it.

the things on honedge's sheath really are supposed to be eyes?
...so it can peel its face off at will.

[but yeah admittedly i might not have looked at it in retrospect. staryu/mie has no face... though at the same time it looks like more than a regular object but eh]

Not really a fan of Honedge. It just screams ''I can't evolve'' to me. Ghost/Steel could have hundreds of desings, but they did only the sword? Why not some kind of knight or armor so it would look like something else than tool.

Yeah, bitchin'. Most likely I will like it when games come out. But weakest desing of 6th gen yet.

When I saw Honedge for the first time, I thinked it was kind of weird at first, but finally I think it is awesome, and fits perfectly its new typing, perhaps the most requested by Pokémon fans. I like the design, especially the fact that it uses a scarf as an arm. What will be the new most requested type ? Probably the awesome Fighting/Ghost, resisted only by the non-existent Ghost/Normal iirc.

Design-wise, I expect a genderless Pokémon with massive physical attack and crappy special attack. Even Darmanitan looks more like a special attacker than this IMO. Assuming it can breed with Ditto and isn't evolved, I'm really curious about seing a sword hatching from an egg :)

About Fennekin using Psychic, is there any video showing that, or at least a picture ? I always thinked it was using a move copied with Me First or Copycat in the very first trailer, since the opposing Pokémon was a Kirlia.

Not really a fan of Honedge. It just screams ''I can't evolve'' to me. Ghost/Steel could have hundreds of desings, but they did only the sword? Why not some kind of knight or armor so it would look like something else than tool.

Yeah, bitchin'. Most likely I will like it when games come out. But weakest desing of 6th gen yet.
Exactly my thoughts. I just don't like it.

So far, Noivern and Talonflame are my favorites. I'm excited to see new Fairy-type Pokemon.

I'm also curious, what is going to happen with Dream World abilities? From the looks of things, the Global Link service is going to be completely shut down by 2014. Are Pokemon with Dream World abilities just going to have 3 possible abilities naturally in 6th gen? Or is there gonna be some new method to get Pokemon with hidden abilities? Or...?

It took a bit to get used to Honedge's name, but I like it! But what I am really curious about is what the Fairy type will be like. We've gotten leads to the new type in the form of the 5 announced Fairy-types (and the new Fairy-type moves), but I don't think we have gotten enough info to make hasty guesses. The type could encompass many things, but then again, the same is the case with the other types. I guess maybe next CoroCoro will expand on it?

Exactly my thoughts. I just don't like it.

So far, Noivern and Talonflame are my favorites. I'm excited to see new Fairy-type Pokemon.

I'm also curious, what is going to happen with Dream World abilities? From the looks of things, the Global Link service is going to be completely shut down by 2014. Are Pokemon with Dream World abilities just going to have 3 possible abilities naturally in 6th gen? Or is there gonna be some new method to get Pokemon with hidden abilities? Or...?

Since a lot of Dream World abilities are still unreleased as of now (such as Serperior's Contrary) I would think that they would still implement Dream World abilities in this coming generation. Maybe through Pokemon-Amie?

Really liking Honedge. Its a possessed sword and that's pretty cool imo. I've been waiting for a Steel / Ghost type for a long time now and hopefully this guy will be really good competitively.

Since a lot of Dream World abilities are still unreleased as of now (such as Serperior's Contrary) I would think that they would still implement Dream World abilities in this coming generation. Maybe through Pokemon-Amie?
That would be interesting, but how would they implement that? Isn't Pokemon-Amie just a way for you to bond with your already captured pokemon?

Really liking Honedge. Its a possessed sword and that's pretty cool imo. I've been waiting for a Steel / Ghost type for a long time now and hopefully this guy will be really good competitively.
Considering that it can learn Swords Dance, Honedge will probably be a physical based pokemon with decent offensive stats. I'm predicting that he'll have bad HP (as most Ghost-types do), great Attack, great Def (since he's a Steel-type), decent SpA, decent SpD, and decent Speed. I don't think he'll make it past UU, though. Just my thoughts, we could be pleasantly surprised!

Nil sine Smogon indeed!

Fennekin's evolutionary line has been pegged to Psychic/Fire ever since Fennekin was first revealed. I saw it using Psychic back in the very first trailer (on a Kirlia, to be precise), and that dual typing hasn't been on a non-legendary yet... (I'm looking at you, Victini!)

As for Honedge, I don't mind the design; I actually like it. Learns Swords Dance (thank you for not being Trollfreak this time!) along with a slew of physical attacks (I'd flip if it learned Sacred Sword, however, as that move befits only the Swords of Justice in my eyes), and probably has a high Attack stat and not that much else. I hope there's a defensive Pokémon that has this dual typing (Ghost/Steel) as it sports three immunities (four if you count a possible ability like Levitate) and resists almost everything else, with only Fire (and Ground if it doesn't Levitate) being SE. What with the advent of the Fairy type, Steel becomes that much more important in the competitive meta, and even more so Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)