Don't Drop That THUN THUN THUN (Peaked #9)

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Don't Drop That THUN THUN THUN
(Peaked #9)​
Intro
So a few days ago I was at Speech Camp and I joined a twerk team, hence the theme. This is my second real team and I wanted to base it around Lead Skarmory as hazards seem so incredibly potent in this current meta. I had used this skarm on my most recent in-development-but-never-successful-team and I thought it was great paired with something like Banded Kyurem-B because it 3hkos the entirety of the meta anyway. Add in a few layers of hazards and it can break anything. Eventually the team looked quite different and ended up peaking #9 on the ladder with a 24-3 W/L (with one of those losses due to a freeze, one due to awful playing, and the other due to simply being outplayed). So here begins the teambuilding process (condensed because new forum hates pictures):
Teambuilding Process
The team began, as aforementioned, lead custap skarm and band Kyurem-B. I then figured, why not make a dragmag team? So I added salamence and magnezone. Starmie was added because I needed a spinner and then volc just because I could keep rocks off so easily. Eventually, scarf mence was too weak and I needed priority so I replaced it with DD Nite. Magnezone really had no use now since Kyurem could just break everything so it was replaced with Band Scizor (now SD) as scizor added utility while keeping a dragon resist. Finally, I ran into a huge amount of ferrothorns and got angry so Kyurem changed to breloom. And then it was done.
The Team
Thun Thun Thun (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet/Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
This is standard lead hazard skarm and it is great. It usually gets SR+2 Layers (Thus, Thun Thun Thun... what awful word play), leaving a huge amount of pressure on the opponent. I was originally running custap but I kept not going into custap range and starmie/forry were being huge assholes, so I temporarily changed to rocky helm but I realize now that if I were to run 252 attack instead of hp then custap would probably work better so I'll do that.
Mike (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multi Scale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
Also standard. Dragonite has been around since the very beginning and it is still great. It frequently punches holes in things like ferro and jirachi so that scizor and ko can just clean up afterwards. Extremespeed is also very helpful though a lot weaker than band which is unfortunate. I wish it outsped scarf 108s at +2. :(
Mikey (Scizor) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Super Power
- Bug Bite
SD Scizor is fantastic in this metagame. Once it sets up, it can frequently just poop all over everything, doing like 70% to hippowdon with bug bite. Hazards help secure those bullet punch kos that are lost without band if I don't have time to boost and rocks really help keep volcorona at bay (and in ko range for scizor!)
Kyliah (Starmie) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Psyshock
Kyliah (pronounced Kylah, don't ask me why) is always like "You're a star," but now she is so it's ironic. Anyway, Starmie is far stronger than it looks and it frequently has the capability to run through the opposing team alone. I wish I had room for thunderbolt but it's okay. Starmie gives me a nice way to deal with the latis, keldeo, etc. while offering much needed rapid spin support. Between this and taunt skarm, I rarely have hazards on my side of the field. Scald > Surf/Hpump may seem weird, but I can't stand to use hpump (it terrifies me to use fblast on volc as is) and I don't lose any important kos with scald (except scizor in rain but meh). However, that 30% burn chance makes me an asshole and that's okay.
Cristen (Volcarona) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
Volcarona is usually the star of the team and somewhat frequently clean sweeps. It runs right through the common celebi+rachi defensive duo and kills everything while healing with giga drain. It has a huge amount of set up opprotunities (I enjoy weak priority that is needed to pick off dnite or something) and the spdef boost really helps. I had fire blast on here, but then it missed once and I got scared so I stopped using it. The only thing I miss out on is dnite that switched into stealth rocks once and took ~10% of prior damage, but I don't care (actually dnite is kind of a problem). Maybe I'll run fblast again. :(
Cooper (Breloom) (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
Breloom is great at accentuating my already prevelant weaknesses, but it brings so much to the table as well. Since hazards are normally not on the field, sash gives me a great chance to halt a sweep with spore. It can even do quite a bit of damage itself when boosted. As mentioned though, it makes me even weaker to dnite and volc the like but it also gives me more leeway against other things.
Threats:
Whenever I see heatran I'm like... dammit. Now half my team is useless until it dies. It puts a stop to both dnite and volc which pisses me off. It can't really do much but stop me from doing much, but it's still annoying.
If it sets up before I do, it will be a bitch to take down. Dnite works well against it but the dragon can only do so much. My volc easily 1hkos with flamethrower at +1 though.
I realize now that fire blast won't help because it wasn't dragonite itself that was giving me issues, it was dragonite in the rain who takes almost nothing from my whole team bar starmie (outspeeds at +1 though) and scizor (meh). If it has multiscale than it's probably good game.
Conclusion:
Thanks for reading, guys! Please suggest things or don't. Either one works. Just do what makes you happy. I can wall twerk rather well. I'm just a white male with a dream. That dream does not actually involve twerking. Why is that even a thing. Why can't white people be themselves on the dance floor anymore. Let's just go wop/wobble/twerk/whatever into dancing hell. Shut up society. Have a nice day.
*****Proof Of Peak:*****​

Great song (listen to the mix with Tyga in it), and cool team. My main suggestion would be to think about testing Pasho Berry (The water resist one) on Volcarona over Life Orb. It lets you set up and beat some cool things like Jellicent in the rain after SR and such.

Edit: Dnite does outspeed scarfed base 108s at +2 fyi.

Your team looks great, only weakness I could think of would probably be Rain Stall. Over the offensive SD set can I suggest a slight change to your Scizor? Try the following:

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

You mentioned your team disliked Ferrothorn. Well, guess what - this Scizor can set up to +6 against literally any opposing Ferrothorn. Unless they have HP Fire for some reason. Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, Gyro Ball, Power Whip... whatever it has, it's just setup fodder. This Scizor also outspeeds defensive Heatran and OHKOs with Superpower.

Funnily enough, as I looked at your list of pokemon I was thinking "Man, if they can get rid of Dragonite, Toxicroak in Rain destroys this whole team..." but then I noticed you have Psyshock on Starmie already. I tried thinking of other possible threats but you've basically got everything covered. It's a great team; I kinda wish more stuff on the RMT forum was this good n_n

Edit: I just looked at MikeDec's post and I can confirm. Passho Volc is amazing! Volcarona is always one of my favorite sweepers when I'm not using teammates that would have bad synergy with it, and I always find that LO recoil wears it down too quickly. My usual item is Lum Berry to get off a free QD vs T-Wave opponents but Passho is also an excellent choice. I agree with Mike, you should give it a test.

Edit 2: I just noticed you don't have EQ on Dnite. I think you should consider dropping something for it - you're very weak to SubCM Rachi in Rain otherwise.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey MikeDawg! The way I see it, any team with a Volcarona is a cool team in my book, so let's rate it.

There's so many crazy threats on this team, it's not even funny. Sash Breloom is a pain, +1 Volcarona is a pain, Dragonite is a pain...jeez, I would absolutely hate to face this team. But I suppose that's the nature of hyper offensive teams. You mentioned a few threats like Vocarona and Dragonite, but from what I can tell, Gyarados is also a pretty big threat, since it can set up on Volcarona and sweep your team at +1. I'm sure you've noticed that man of the Pokémon that threaten your team are ones with setup moves. Anything that sets up before you do can do major damage to the team. I think this stems from your lack of a Choice Scarf Pokémon. I know that lots of HO teams don't like to include Scarf Pokémon because it can sometimes put you in a position where you lose momentum, but I disagree. Without a dedicated Scarfer, you make yourself susceptible to other setup sweepers, as you've clearly noticed with your own team.

The question now is which Scarf Pokémon would best fit your team? In my opinion, I think you should use Choice Scarf Terrakion over either Breloom or Scizor. Terrakion is able to beat every one of the threats you listed, as well as Gyarados, which should never be getting to higher than +1 anyway based on your team. Scizor and Breloom, on the other hand, seem to have overlapping roles. Sometimes, this can be effective on HO teams since they like to wear down their counters to a point where at least one of them can break through the opponent's walls. However, in this case, I think the walls that would normally be troubling Breloom or Scizor (Skarmory, Landorus-T, Gliscor, etc.) can easily be handled by other members of your team. That's why I think it's wasted potential to have both of them over something like Scarf Terrakion. Terrakion can kill Volcarona tat either can't get more than +1, or lack Giga Drain/HP Ground (bulkier variants) with Stone Edge (or, since you seem like accuracy over power, Rock Slide), and can obviously KO Heatran with Close Combat. For the filler move, I would suggest Earthquake over X-Scissor, since Celebi is huge setup bait for Volcarona, so terrakion shouldn't need to kill it anyway. Earthquake, on the other hand, can deal decent damage to Tentacruel and Jirachi, which could otherwise be annoying to face.

Other than that, I can't really see any major flaws with the team. Good luck, hope I was able to help!

Set

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Just read Halcyon's reply, I agree with everything stated there except I'd run X-Scissor over Rock Slide on that Scarf Terrakion. He made a good point that it can actually be a good idea to let your opponent's Celebi survive - Volcarona can use it as setup bait as you force it out later in the match.

Terrakion can kill Volcarona tat either can't get more than +1, or lack Giga Drain/HP Ground (bulkier variants) with Stone Edge (or, since you seem like accuracy over power, Rock Slide), and can obviously KO Heatran with Close Combat. For the filler move, I would suggest Earthquake over X-Scissor, since Celebi is huge setup bait for Volcarona, so terrakion shouldn't need to kill it anyway. Earthquake, on the other hand, can deal decent damage to Tentacruel and Jirachi, which could otherwise be annoying to face.
All great points, but I still believe X-Scissor is worth a slot, if only because you might find yourself in a situation where you need to kill a Celebi, at some point in a match after you've already lost Volcarona. So I'd suggest Close Combat, X-Scissor, Earthquake, and one of Rock Slide and Stone Edge.

Solid team, MikeDawg. There aren't many suggestions to make since you did peak pretty high on the ladder. Looking over your team I saw you were in need of a good scarfer. Based on the threats you listed you can try running Choice Scarf Terrakion over Breloom. This gives you a better way to deal with, well all the threats you mentioned. Heatran doesn't want to take Close Combats, Volcarona dies to Stone Edge, and Dragonite dies to a Stone Edge once Multiscale is broken.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
Jolly | 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Close Combat | Stone Edge | X-Scisxor | Rock Slide

Small nitpick. Personally, I always run an HP number on my pokemon. This is for entry hazards damage as you will be able to come in a live on more switch-in with 1 HP which can save you if you are ever in that position where you need to live one extra time. So I would move 4 EVs on Dnite to SpDef or Def but that is just me. Not really a big deal.

Hope this helped and good luck with the team.

Edit: Hacyon said the same thing :/

~Subject 18~

Hey, great team ! The main problem for you team is fire attacks, and i mean you could lure it pretty easily with something like an Occa berry Scizor (Acrobatics Zor his awesome to OHKO a Volcarona trying to set-up too for example, and imo he sounds better for your team, you could try Hp ice > Giga drain once Jellicent is lured and killed), even tho lava plume burn are gonna be painful, but you can SD on something like a +1 Nite and destroying shit, and it's a very nice thing to play unorthodox / underrated sets in Hyper Offense imo.

As everyone said, TerrakionScarf over loom is a better option, as it can RK Volcarona and Nite, and he can switch into offensive Tran.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Hey there! This is a pretty cool HO team you have here. This team does seem like a horror to face, but that is the nature of HO teams xD. Onto the team itself. There are a few things that stick out to me on this team. First of all, three of your mons run LO, your Loom is Sash, and you have a suicide lead. This obviously demonstrates your team has short survivability. Thus, I really see Sand Stall as a problem for this team. LO + Sand damage builds up on your spinner and Volc, breaks Dragonite's Multiscale, and the general bulk of the team allows it to stall you out pretty well. Since you also run a suicide lead carrying your hazards without a spinblocker, most stall teams will end up spinning on you. Since LO Starmie doesn't last very long, it can get KOed through passive damage, and then SR overwhelms your team. Another issue I see is Specs Latis, which outspeed all your team barring Starmie and deal massive damage. Scizor isn't a reliable switch-in at all. The Latis can switch in and out and pose major issues. To fix these issues in general, I think you should make the small switch to make Starmie more defensive, giving it Leftovers > LO and Recover > Ice Beam, as well as Natural Cure > Analytic. This switch permits your team to perform better against Stall, due to increased survivability of your spinner. This does take away from its offensive prowess, but I feel the tradeoff is worth it due to the importance of spinning for your team.

Next, you marked out Heatran as a threat, which is obvious by the way it can deal with so many of your mons. Tbh I think you can afford to run Earthquake > Fire Punch to smash it, mostly due to the fact that the majority of the rest of your team can deal with the threats Fire Punch hits. Since you're running weatherless, Fire Punch could face the unfortunateness of being weakened by Rain. This is also nice because the majority of DDnite's atm don't run Earthquake, so you have a bit of surprise factor on your side.

As multiple people noted, Breloom isn't really doing much for your team apart from being a minor added annoyance to your team, but it adds to a lot of your weaknesses, mostly the Latis and the setup sweepers you outlined yourself. There are a couple options you could take here. One option is the aforementioned Scarf Terrakion to replace it, to revenge those threats, but personally, I don't find it the best choice considering that it is useless vs stall and loses a lot of momentum for your team, as if an immunity comes into it (ie Gengar), you have to switch, and nothing on your team can take a hit. I do acknowledge that those setup sweepers are a threat, but looking at your team, Dnite can't setup on anything except Breloom and Skarmory, and Volcarona can only set up on Breloom and Scizor. The option I give you is to run Stone Edge > Swords Dance. This may seem a weird suggestion, but Stone Edge is a move very rarely run on Breloom. This allows Loom to nail every Dnite/Volc that try to set up on it because they believe it has no way to hit them. Considering you have so many set up sweepers, Swords Dance can be done without, and Stone Edge deals with the majority of your issues. You don't lose momentum with this, and you can deal with the threats that irritate you.

I mentioned the lack of a spinblocker, but I can't fit Gengar onto your team due to everything being necessary for one another, so you can't really use a spinblocker. I would just use Custap on Skarmory and use 252 Atk to get yourself into Custap range and get the hazards up, and just save Skarm when facing Stall.

A final switch I would consider making is trying out AcroZor over your current Scizor set. The main reason I propose this is to hit Volcaronas that try to set up on you, and also be able to hit Jellicent and kill it. However, this switch is completely up to you, seeing as I already put Stone Edge on Breloom to limit Volcarona's set up options. Overall, this is a great HO team, and I hope I helped! Good luck!

Also, as a side note to halycon's post, Earth quake helps get rid of toxicroak which people don't expect as toxicroak walls most terrakion.
however most terrakion sets i see use Stone edge/ Close combat/ x-scissor / Rockslide or eq, but since celebi is set up fodder, probably Stonedge/ Close combat / Earthquake / and Rock slide is for this team's scarfer. Usually, though players aren't that bothered by stone edge's low accuracy, as the power it has over rock slide is more than enough to merit its inclusion. But Starline brings up valid points. :/ im confused :/

And iirc, acrobat scizor has flying gem, SD, Bullet punch, Superpower, and Acrobatics.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Thanks for the rates, everyone! :)

Great song (listen to the mix with Tyga in it), and cool team. My main suggestion would be to think about testing Pasho Berry (The water resist one) on Volcarona over Life Orb. It lets you set up and beat some cool things like Jellicent in the rain after SR and such.

My only issue with pasho berry is that I lose a crap ton of power and that it is somewhat redundant as I can already beat things like spdef jellicent in the rain with giga drain (it 1hkos at +2, does a ton at +1). The only thing it may help with is tenta but i 2hko in the rain and tenta is only doing around 45% (which giga drain does well to alleviate). And scarf 108s hit 524, Dnite hits 518 :P

Your team looks great, only weakness I could think of would probably be Rain Stall. Over the offensive SD set can I suggest a slight change to your Scizor? Try the following:

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

You mentioned your team disliked Ferrothorn. Well, guess what - this Scizor can set up to +6 against literally any opposing Ferrothorn. Unless they have HP Fire for some reason. Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, Gyro Ball, Power Whip... whatever it has, it's just setup fodder. This Scizor also outspeeds defensive Heatran and OHKOs with Superpower.

Funnily enough, as I looked at your list of pokemon I was thinking "Man, if they can get rid of Dragonite, Toxicroak in Rain destroys this whole team..." but then I noticed you have Psyshock on Starmie already. I tried thinking of other possible threats but you've basically got everything covered. It's a great team; I kinda wish more stuff on the RMT forum was this good n_n

Edit: I just looked at MikeDec's post and I can confirm. Passho Volc is amazing! Volcarona is always one of my favorite sweepers when I'm not using teammates that would have bad synergy with it, and I always find that LO recoil wears it down too quickly. My usual item is Lum Berry to get off a free QD vs T-Wave opponents but Passho is also an excellent choice. I agree with Mike, you should give it a test.

Edit 2: I just noticed you don't have EQ on Dnite. I think you should consider dropping something for it - you're very weak to SubCM Rachi in Rain otherwise.

My only qualm to this is the loss of power from life orb (and speed I suppose). I had problems with ferro when I was running kyu-b still, but now my team can generally manhandle it (though if I switch out breloom, I may give this bulkier scizor a shot since loom was so good against ferro). I think I will definitely add eq over fire punch on Dnite. Rain rachi could be problematic. :)

Hey MikeDawg! The way I see it, any team with a Volcarona is a cool team in my book, so let's rate it.

There's so many crazy threats on this team, it's not even funny. Sash Breloom is a pain, +1 Volcarona is a pain, Dragonite is a pain...jeez, I would absolutely hate to face this team. But I suppose that's the nature of hyper offensive teams. You mentioned a few threats like Vocarona and Dragonite, but from what I can tell, Gyarados is also a pretty big threat, since it can set up on Volcarona and sweep your team at +1. I'm sure you've noticed that man of the Pokémon that threaten your team are ones with setup moves. Anything that sets up before you do can do major damage to the team. I think this stems from your lack of a Choice Scarf Pokémon. I know that lots of HO teams don't like to include Scarf Pokémon because it can sometimes put you in a position where you lose momentum, but I disagree. Without a dedicated Scarfer, you make yourself susceptible to other setup sweepers, as you've clearly noticed with your own team.

The question now is which Scarf Pokémon would best fit your team? In my opinion, I think you should use Choice Scarf Terrakion over either Breloom or Scizor. Terrakion is able to beat every one of the threats you listed, as well as Gyarados, which should never be getting to higher than +1 anyway based on your team. Scizor and Breloom, on the other hand, seem to have overlapping roles. Sometimes, this can be effective on HO teams since they like to wear down their counters to a point where at least one of them can break through the opponent's walls. However, in this case, I think the walls that would normally be troubling Breloom or Scizor (Skarmory, Landorus-T, Gliscor, etc.) can easily be handled by other members of your team. That's why I think it's wasted potential to have both of them over something like Scarf Terrakion. Terrakion can kill Volcarona tat either can't get more than +1, or lack Giga Drain/HP Ground (bulkier variants) with Stone Edge (or, since you seem like accuracy over power, Rock Slide), and can obviously KO Heatran with Close Combat. For the filler move, I would suggest Earthquake over X-Scissor, since Celebi is huge setup bait for Volcarona, so terrakion shouldn't need to kill it anyway. Earthquake, on the other hand, can deal decent damage to Tentacruel and Jirachi, which could otherwise be annoying to face.

Other than that, I can't really see any major flaws with the team. Good luck, hope I was able to help!
I think I will indeed try out scarf rakkion over loom. It is somewhat redundant and rakkion will help against dnite, gyarados, etc. all of which are issues if set up. :)

Edit: Hacyon said the same thing :/
Still much appreciated! :P

Hey, great team ! The main problem for you team is fire attacks, and i mean you could lure it pretty easily with something like an Occa berry Scizor (Acrobatics Zor his awesome to OHKO a Volcarona trying to set-up too for example, and imo he sounds better for your team, you could try Hp ice > Giga drain once Jellicent is lured and killed), even tho lava plume burn are gonna be painful, but you can SD on something like a +1 Nite and destroying shit, and it's a very nice thing to play unorthodox / underrated sets in Hyper Offense imo.
I do like acrobatics scizor, but I don't really need the utility that it would provide since tenta and the like aren't really problematic.

Hey there! This is a pretty cool HO team you have here. This team does seem like a horror to face, but that is the nature of HO teams xD. Onto the team itself. There are a few things that stick out to me on this team. First of all, three of your mons run LO, your Loom is Sash, and you have a suicide lead. This obviously demonstrates your team has short survivability. Thus, I really see Sand Stall as a problem for this team. LO + Sand damage builds up on your spinner and Volc, breaks Dragonite's Multiscale, and the general bulk of the team allows it to stall you out pretty well. Since you also run a suicide lead carrying your hazards without a spinblocker, most stall teams will end up spinning on you. Since LO Starmie doesn't last very long, it can get KOed through passive damage, and then SR overwhelms your team. Another issue I see is Specs Latis, which outspeed all your team barring Starmie and deal massive damage. Scizor isn't a reliable switch-in at all. The Latis can switch in and out and pose major issues. To fix these issues in general, I think you should make the small switch to make Starmie more defensive, giving it Leftovers > LO and Recover > Ice Beam, as well as Natural Cure > Analytic. This switch permits your team to perform better against Stall, due to increased survivability of your spinner. This does take away from its offensive prowess, but I feel the tradeoff is worth it due to the importance of spinning for your team.
I will try defensive-er starmie, but I will probably end up switching back simply because everytime I try it, I end up hating how incredibly weak it is. :P In the case of loom+scizor, if scarf rakkion does indeed make me more weak to sand stall, I will switch back and try those. :)

Ah, brings back memories. Nice Team Mike, and based on your threats list and the nature of your team you may want to drop one of your support pokemon and add in something to address these problems while also being a general threat itself.

Mamoswine with Thick Fat takes care of both Heatran and Dragonite while Volca really doesn't like to set up on it, especially is Sashed. Another physical pokemon is Landrous-T with HP Ice, not only switching in Dragonite pisses it off, it also forces it switch which is great if you have SR on the other side.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Ah, brings back memories. Nice Team Mike, and based on your threats list and the nature of your team you may want to drop one of your support pokemon and add in something to address these problems while also being a general threat itself.

Mamoswine with Thick Fat takes care of both Heatran and Dragonite while Volca really doesn't like to set up on it, especially is Sashed. Another physical pokemon is Landrous-T with HP Ice, not only switching in Dragonite pisses it off, it also forces it switch which is great if you have SR on the other side.

I actually do like lando-t. Aside from general power and the like, intimidate is such great utility. I'll definitely try it out

My only issue with pasho berry is that I lose a crap ton of power and that it is somewhat redundant as I can already beat things like spdef jellicent in the rain with giga drain (it 1hkos at +2, does a ton at +1). The only thing it may help with is tenta but i 2hko in the rain and tenta is only doing around 45% (which giga drain does well to alleviate). And scarf 108s hit 524, Dnite hits 518
I didn't really want to do a full rate, but here it comes :|

Your math is a tad off, so I'm going to correct you here. Keldeo is base 108. Max Speed timid then = 346. 346 * 1.5 = 519 (In case you need to see it another way, 346 +173 = 519). So while it does outspeed, it's only by one point. Unvalid point, but just so you know your speed tiers (And apparently, so I know mine).

Second, Pasho Berry also has some other nifty things, which I could show you if you want to, but it allows you to set up on Scarf Keldeo in the rain (QD on switch into Keldeo, live a hit and get to +2, and then OHKO with Giga Drain). Here's the damage calc:

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Passho Berry Volcarona in rain: 187-222 (60.12 - 71.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona in rain: 374-444 (120.25 - 142.76%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This pretty much is a guaranteed fail safe for you against Scarfed Keldeo if you have rocks off the field, which you need for two reasons. One, Keldeo outspeeds everything on your team and hits everything for a decent chunk of damage in the rain, and your two main switch ins, Dragonite and Starmie have a few issues with dealing with it. One, if SR is on the field, Nite takes a good chunk of damage, and then can be easily revenge killed. Two, Starmie has LO and will be whittled down pretty quickly. Granted, you have a few good checks, but a good player with Scarf Keldeo (or hell, even Expert Belt Keldeo) can rip through this team pretty easily in my opinion. Also, I think you NEED to be able to beat Tentacruel (might be more common with Lando-I gone), since you have no Ghost Pokemon to stop spinning. A good counter argument to the Tentacruel case though is that Nite sets up all over Tentacruel's face if it has its Lum Berry in tact since Scald is a bitch (unless Sub Toxic, which I think actually ruins a lot of your team's day if it keeps a sub in tact on you).

Heatran in my opinion is not that much of a threat to you. Sure, it can come in and annoy Dragonite, but then what? You spam Outrage until you weaken it, and then let one of your other Pokemon finish the job. This then opens up a Volcarona sweep. You don't really NEED Earthquake to beat Heatran, and I don't think Rain Jirachi is too big of a deal if you have Hazards up and your Lum Berry in-tact. In fact, I think it makes Ferrothorn a teeny tiny bit more annoying, but it's all preference.

Now, moving on, if you plan on using Custap Skarm (which I feel that you should), change the EV spread to 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe as you noted in the OP. This gives you a higher chance of getting into Custap range, but be wary of some spinners since you don't have a ghost.

SD Scizor is fantastic in this meta. I remember someone telling me when I made "A Thousand Miles" that 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe was good enough on Jolly Scizor, but I'm not 100% sure. Also keep Lum Berry in the back of your mind with that, but Life Orb is so fucking powerful that I wouldn't recommend changing that anyway.

I like the idea of Sash Loom, but SD doesn't seem to be doing too much on this team. I would recommend either changing it to Stone Edge, in order to knock out Volcarona or Dragonite trying to set up on you as Dcae mentioned, or changing it to Focus Punch, which hits a lot of things really freaking hard on the switch, but still kind of lets Nite and Volc set up on your face.

Anyway, these are just some suggestions, sorry for the long ass post. Good luck!

Edit: After re-reading Dcae's post, I want to say two things. Specs Latios isn't a big deal because you can set up on it after the drop from Draco with Volcarona. However, Sand Stall is a HUGE bitch to play with this team. I don't think changing Starmie to a bulky variant will change too many issues with Sand Stall (since a lot of Sand Stall teams have Jellicent), however, I think that this kind of adds my point to having Passho Berry on Volcarona, since you can set up on a lot of sand stall Pokemon if you get rid of Heatran (if their team even has a Heatran), and remove the residual damage you might have to deal with with Life Orb. Also, with Life Orb gone, I think you can beat Sand Stall with either Dragonite or Volcarona depending on the Hippowdon varriant, but I'm not sure.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I didn't really want to do a full rate, but here it comes :|

Your math is a tad off, so I'm going to correct you here. Keldeo is base 108. Max Speed timid then = 346. 346 * 1.5 = 519 (In case you need to see it another way, 346 +173 = 519). So while it does outspeed, it's only by one point. Unvalid point, but just so you know your speed tiers (And apparently, so I know mine).

Second, Pasho Berry also has some other nifty things, which I could show you if you want to, but it allows you to set up on Scarf Keldeo in the rain (QD on switch into Keldeo, live a hit and get to +2, and then OHKO with Giga Drain). Here's the damage calc:

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Passho Berry Volcarona in rain: 187-222 (60.12 - 71.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona in rain: 374-444 (120.25 - 142.76%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This pretty much is a guaranteed fail safe for you against Scarfed Keldeo if you have rocks off the field, which you need for two reasons. One, Keldeo outspeeds everything on your team and hits everything for a decent chunk of damage in the rain, and your two main switch ins, Dragonite and Starmie have a few issues with dealing with it. One, if SR is on the field, Nite takes a good chunk of damage, and then can be easily revenge killed. Two, Starmie has LO and will be whittled down pretty quickly. Granted, you have a few good checks, but a good player with Scarf Keldeo (or hell, even Expert Belt Keldeo) can rip through this team pretty easily in my opinion. Also, I think you NEED to be able to beat Tentacruel (might be more common with Lando-I gone), since you have no Ghost Pokemon to stop spinning. A good counter argument to the Tentacruel case though is that Nite sets up all over Tentacruel's face if it has its Lum Berry in tact since Scald is a bitch (unless Sub Toxic, which I think actually ruins a lot of your team's day if it keeps a sub in tact on you).

Heatran in my opinion is not that much of a threat to you. Sure, it can come in and annoy Dragonite, but then what? You spam Outrage until you weaken it, and then let one of your other Pokemon finish the job. This then opens up a Volcarona sweep. You don't really NEED Earthquake to beat Heatran, and I don't think Rain Jirachi is too big of a deal if you have Hazards up and your Lum Berry in-tact. In fact, I think it makes Ferrothorn a teeny tiny bit more annoying, but it's all preference.

Now, moving on, if you plan on using Custap Skarm (which I feel that you should), change the EV spread to 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe as you noted in the OP. This gives you a higher chance of getting into Custap range, but be wary of some spinners since you don't have a ghost.

SD Scizor is fantastic in this meta. I remember someone telling me when I made "A Thousand Miles" that 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe was good enough on Jolly Scizor, but I'm not 100% sure. Also keep Lum Berry in the back of your mind with that, but Life Orb is so fucking powerful that I wouldn't recommend changing that anyway.

I like the idea of Sash Loom, but SD doesn't seem to be doing too much on this team. I would recommend either changing it to Stone Edge, in order to knock out Volcarona or Dragonite trying to set up on you as Dcae mentioned, or changing it to Focus Punch, which hits a lot of things really freaking hard on the switch, but still kind of lets Nite and Volc set up on your face.

Anyway, these are just some suggestions, sorry for the long ass post. Good luck!

Edit: After re-reading Dcae's post, I want to say two things. Specs Latios isn't a big deal because you can set up on it after the drop from Draco with Volcarona. However, Sand Stall is a HUGE bitch to play with this team. I don't think changing Starmie to a bulky variant will change too many issues with Sand Stall (since a lot of Sand Stall teams have Jellicent), however, I think that this kind of adds my point to having Passho Berry on Volcarona, since you can set up on a lot of sand stall Pokemon if you get rid of Heatran (if their team even has a Heatran), and remove the residual damage you might have to deal with with Life Orb. Also, with Life Orb gone, I think you can beat Sand Stall with either Dragonite or Volcarona depending on the Hippowdon varriant, but I'm not sure.
In my defense, I just asked in the showdown chat what speed scarf 108s hit :p

But on a more relevant note, I definitely see what you mean with passho. I didn't even think about keldeo (which is rather annoying especially since it can revenge 3 of my pokes), so I will indeed be trying the berry. I will also try stone edge>sd before trying rakkion, simply to help preserve the current offensive synergy of the team.

Thanks for the rate!

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hi

Most of the issues have already been ironed out by dcae and Mike, but outside of that I think that you should change up your Dragonite set a little in order to help you win the weather war and beat Heatran easier. Dragon Dance just isn't as good in the current metagame, and considering how overall I feel it just doesn't add anything to your team, I feel like you should definitely change it. You want something that hit hard instantly and help your team out, which Is why I will be suggesting you change to Mixed Rain Dragontie instead. It does amazing under Rain and does a great job in handling Heatran and opposing Rain Teams. You can break down stall pretty well and don't get walled as easily as DDNite. This set is especially amazing when paired with Breloom, and they both work together to defeat the opposing weather. Overall, you get a more team-oriented stall breaking Dragonite, which is much less selfish than your current DDNite set, which doesn't work too amazingly anyway.

Code:
Dragonite @ Life Orb
76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hurricane
- Aqua Tail / Surf
- Thunder
- Roost / ExtremeSpeed

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

+2 Adamant Dnite is 518, +1 Keldeo is 519

It gets outsped.

This team is pretty solid, I would run a bulkier scizor, maybe SD with Occa Berry or Choice Band because Custap Skarm is dying pretty quickly and then if Scizor dies you're out your only steel. Change Scald on Starmie to Hydro Pump so that you have a better chance to OHKO Scizors and Tyranitars when you have 2 layers up.

Why are you running analytic on Starmie. Other than that, this team is great. I faced a carbon copy of it on the ladder twice, it wrecked me 5-0 when I used a balanced team but lost 2-0 to my sand stall team. Life orb and a suicide lead vs. sand stall is asking for trouble. Once Scizor is gone, Gliscor has a field day. Since I am mostly a stall player, I would suggest something defensive, but just something to keep in mind- sand stall rapes this team.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi MikeDawg!

This is an awesome team you have here. There's not much I had in mind to suggest/add that hasn't already been touched on. But I do have a suggestion regarding Volcarona's set. As a setup sweeper, I feel it's important for it to have reliable bulk so that it has more staying power and can therefore perform its role better without being taken down before it can get something going. For this reason, I have a different EV spread I'm suggesting, and I'd also like to recommend replacing its Life Orb item with Leftovers.

I notice you are running Flamethrower, and I guess this is due to the fact that Fire Blast has shaky accuracy and you feel that Life Orb will make up for the difference in power. However, I'd like to suggest trying Fiery Dance in place of Flamethrower, due to the somewhat small difference in power and also the 50% chance to give you a +1 boost in Special Attack every time you use it. Once you've been granted just one boost, it's already a better move than Flamethrower and Fire Blast both, and then your other offensive options can enjoy the boost in power as well.

Also I would like to suggest replacing Giga Drain with HP Rock, so that you can beat an opposing Volcarona outright, and also so that you can beat Dragonite one on one if it comes in as you Quiver Dance (with SR down to break Multiscale). By adding this, it eliminates two of the main threats you noted that your team has issues with. The EV spread I have in mind can also tank a Waterfall from Gyarados and you can beat it one on one with HP Rock as well, providing you've got a Quiver Dance boost already (such as in the instance it switches in as you Quiver Dance). The set I'm recommending is as follows:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Rock]

I hope you find my input helpful or at least thought-provoking. I wish you continued luck with your team! ^_^

Edit: Taking Giga Drain off Volcarona's moveset DOES mean you are then walled by Keldeo and Terrakion, but that's what Technician Breloom is for. If push comes to shove, and you feel it's necessary, you can try taking Bug Buzz off to add Giga Drain again. It sucks that you lose the Bug STAB, but with all the potential threats running around, it's crucial to be able to deal with as many of them as you can. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)