Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
MegaAbsol has an increase in Attack and Speed. I think I might die happy.

Also, they hint at MegaMewtwo having higher Sp. Attack than Mewtwo. This, my friends, is a revolution.

Whoa whoa whoaaaa this is awesome.

I didn't like Mega Absol and Mega Ampharos at first, but now that I've seen the official art in detail and the 3D models... Damn. They look awesome.

Mega Mawile looks sick too. I thought the pink would make it less badass but... Shame on me for thinking that.

Also it seems like Mawile's defenses are going to increase along with Huge Power.

Which is like, fricking awesome because Mawile probably has one of the best defensive typings in the world right now. Also Huge Power. OU Dragon killer.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
What's interesting is that the Mega Ampharos description on the main site mentions "changing your type in the middle of a battle can throw your opponent out of a loop etc."

That... sort of implies just holding the item doesn't instantly change the type.
Yeah I caught that up too. It might even mean that Mega Evolution is a command that costs a turn.
That would certainly lower the viability of something like Mega Lucario; why take a turn to Mega-Evolve when you could Swords Dance to get more Attack than Mega Lucario has on top of keeping your Life Orb-boost?
It honestly seems like a nice way to balance these power-houses. Mega Lucario may not be worth it but Mega Absol's Speed-increase and Mega Mawile's Def & Sp.Def increase (remember that Mawile has Intimidate before it evolves) would certainly make an impact.

What's interesting is that the Mega Ampharos description on the main site mentions "changing your type in the middle of a battle can throw your opponent out of a loop etc."

That... sort of implies just holding the item doesn't instantly change the type.
This type of wording (especially the turning the tide of battle comment) is what makes me think there's some in-battle requirement to meet before it activates

Yeah I caught that up too. It might even mean that Mega Evolution is a command that costs a turn.
That would certainly lower the viability of something like Mega Lucario; why take a turn to Mega-Evolve when you could Swords Dance to get more Attack than Mega Lucario has on top of keeping your Life Orb-boost?
It honestly seems like a nice way to balance these power-houses. Mega Lucario may not be worth it but Mega Absol's Speed-increase and Mega Mawile's Def & Sp.Def increase (remember that Mawile has Intimidate before it evolves) would certainly make an impact.

If it actually does require a move/command to execute mega evolution, then there might be more Taunt users then there ever has been this gen.

That status animation makes me love Torchic even more than I ever have.

Edit: Here's a question: Mega Ampharos looks like it's using a Dragon-type move. Ampharos doesn't currently learn any Dragon moves. Do you think Ampharos will be able to learn, say, Dragon Pulse by TM now? Or will he get some kind of moveset change when evolving into his Mega form?

Last edited:
Mega-Mawile sounds just like Ferrothorn right now: Steel-type with (Rumored) amazing dual defensive typing, good defenses (Though Mega-Mawile's will likely be lower), very high Attack for a likely-defensive pokémon, unimpressive HP... it just lacks a good support movepool, so I can see it as an offensive SR user (Heatran and bulky Garchomp)

PS: I forgot to say that it's the only pokémon in the game with Huge Power/Pure Power and a reliable Attack-boosting move (SWORDS DANCE out of all moves), as Azumarill can only boost with Belly Drum. And it can Baton Pass. It can Taunt walls or Super Fang those it cannot break...

If it had Mawile's base 85 Attack, this means it could get to a terrifying 1180 Attack in just one turn. It could do such outrageous feats such as 2HKOing Physically Defensive Skarmory with a COVERAGE MOVE after SR, cleanly 2HKOing most Scizor with Iron Head, almost always OHKOing Max HP Conkeldurr without SR with Iron Head, OHKOing Dragonite through Multiscale with Ice Punch...

Last edited:
The new trailer is fucking amazing. They couldn't have shown off Mega Evolutions any better.

Megawile is growing on me more and more, and I'm still in love with my new savior Megapharos.

And some girl I'm crushing on is in love with Megasol so I'll start liking it too.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
If it actually does require a move/command to execute mega evolution, then there might be more Taunt users then there ever has been this gen.
I don't mean it being a move but rather a command that eats a turn but has priority over every other action except for switching Pokemon. Kind of like using an item on a Pokemon or the in-battle "Call" action in Pokemon Colosseum.

For a hypothetical situation, let's say that your Ampharos is stuck facing-down a Chlorophyll Venusaur or something on a rampage. Normally you'd be boned, but you call out to Ampharos to have it Mega Evovle before Venusaur attacks and now you resist all its attack. I feel like that's the kind of come-back situation they may be talking about. Of course Ampharos would be evolved for the rest of the battle and would block any other Pokemon on your team from Mega-Evolving even if they hold Mega Stones which would make a lot of sense with how they've explained the mechanics of Mega Evolution.

Mega Evolution really could add a new layer of depth if it works like I think it might.

For example: another situation would be Absol against a Deoxys-S. Deoxys could just smash Absol with a Superpower, expecting the Mega Transformation to give Absol Magic Bounce, but Absol could just as easily Sucker Punch and take it down instead. (I know they carry Focus Sash, it's hypothetical, cut me some slack.) The base Pokemon can do just as much work as its Mega Evolution can and it might even be best to save Mega Evolution for when you need it.

One last example would be Mawile: Mawile switches in on, let's say a Gyarados. Mawile Intimidates it on the switch-in, then as Gyarados Dragon Dances to get back to +1 Attack or whatever, Mawile Mega Evolves with increased Defenses and Huge Power to now take charge with Draining Kiss and Sucker Punch coming from 590 total Attack.

The whole thing could be really deep in terms of strategy and honestly reminds me of the Pokemon anime. Ash's Pokemon has been doing work all battle but just when things get dire, the Pokemon evolves and comes out on top of a bad situation. The more that I think of the possibilities, the more excited I get for Mega Evolution as a whole.

I'm hoping Mawile's Mega Evolution is enough to make it OU, since seeing a Pokemon with a (before Mega Evolving) 380 BST as an OU mainstay will be kind of funny. Also...

Ampha-bulous!.gif

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy

Possibly. But that could also mean that while your opponent looks at your pokemon before the battle, it just shows up as its normal self. But when it goes onto the field it instantly Mega Evolves. You can't just look at the team preview team and tell who's got the Mega Stone. Personally, if I saw X pokemon on the preview screen, and brought A,B,C,and D pokemon to counter it, only to find out it was holding a mega stone and has a different type, ability, base stats, and movepool... yeah that could be a problem.

I'm very happy for the MEvos. Everyone gets respectable boosts in certain stats. (Imagine Cotton Guard MegaAmpharos!)

So,
Even Kangaskhan gets an amazing ability!

MegaAbsol is like, my new Pokemon crush.

Possibly. But that could also mean that while your opponent looks at your pokemon before the battle, it just shows up as its normal self. But when it goes onto the field it instantly Mega Evolves. You can't just look at the team preview team and tell who's got the Mega Stone. Personally, if I saw X pokemon on the preview screen, and brought A,B,C,and D pokemon to counter it, only to find out it was holding a mega stone and has a different type, ability, base stats, and movepool... yeah that could be a problem.
On the other hand what possible reason would you be using something like Ampharos unless you were using the Mega version

On the other hand what possible reason would you be using something like Ampharos unless you were using the Mega version
It could be like the 'I see Zoroark on their team' situation: You see six pokémon and think "Who's more likely to have their Mega Stone?", and it will probably lead to the least viable pokémon in that group (Mawile is even more obvious)

For a hypothetical situation, let's say that your Ampharos is stuck facing-down a Chlorophyll Venusaur or something on a rampage. Normally you'd be boned, but you call out to Ampharos to have it Mega Evovle before Venusaur attacks and now you resist all its attack. I feel like that's the kind of come-back situation they may be talking about. Of course Ampharos would be evolved for the rest of the battle and would block any other Pokemon on your team from Mega-Evolving even if they hold Mega Stones which would make a lot of sense with how they've explained the mechanics of Mega Evolution.

Mega Evolution really could add a new layer of depth if it works like I think it might.
Letting a weakened mega faint so you can activate another mega. 0.0

Also, some mega's change weight? How does that even?

Letting a weakened mega faint so you can activate another mega. 0.0

Also, some mega's change weight? How does that even?
Mawile grows another mouth and becomes taller, so it makes sense there. Mewtwo becomes much smaller and lighter (Why they emphasize an Special Attack increase over a Speed increase? I don't know)

The other ones are either too small (Perhaps Mega Energy is very heavy?) or don't change at all

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Yeah, I mean, Ampharos lol of course. It would be like having a L1 pokemon on the team. What else are you seriously planning on doing with that. But everybody else? What if (yes I know it's stupid but) Cresselia gets a Mega Evolution that's, idunno, the complete opposite, a sweeper? Or any of the other current mainstays. For example, Infernape quite possibly could get one. I bring Tornadus to counter Infernape. What if Infernape (M) is faster than Tornadus (just a possibility).

Plus, while a good 70% of GBU and VGC teams use at least 4 of the same handful of top mons. Machamp was a key partner on the #1 Worlds team this year. While it would be a reasonable guess, you really still couldn't know for sure and it could screw you over.

"theoretically" "if it works that way"

They also change height sometimes
Mawile gains a full foot, for isntance
I can understand changing shape, but gaining mass? Unless... they must be pulling some major e=mc2

You can only use one per battle, so...
Unless it's been recently revealed, the exact specifics of what that means have yet to be revealed. One mega pokemon may mean only one mega item on the entire team, or simply one pokemon in mega evolution at a time.

So its been officially revealed that mega ampharos learns dragon pulse, not surprising since it is a dragon type, but ampharos atm cannot learn dragon pulse. While it's possible that its simply that ampharos can now learn dragon pulse, it would be interesting if it was like rotom and the pokemon learned a new move upon mega-evolving.

I can understand changing shape, but gaining mass? Unless... they must be pulling some major e=mc2
It gained weight, not mass. Also, yeah, if it had gained mass, that would be accounted for by the additional energy inserted into the system. Sort of confused why one of the captions says "...increased speed, the Night Slash move with its high critical-hit chance becomes even more potent." Ohrly RBY mechanics?

Or it could be that there is a Mega-button that you push to Megavolve one Pokemon without wasting a turn.

It gained weight, not mass.
It's very hard to do one without the other while staying on this planet. And by very hard, I mean probably impossible.

So its been officially revealed that mega ampharos learns dragon pulse, not surprising since it is a dragon type, but ampharos atm cannot learn dragon pulse. While it's possible that its simply that ampharos can now learn dragon pulse, it would be interesting if it was like rotom and the pokemon learned a new move upon mega-evolving.
I was wondering if something like that might happen. Might be forced to temporarily have the first slot move replaced during mega form for some kind of signature move? I really doubt they'd have a system for setting aside separate mega movesets. Most likely though, it just learns it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)