Pokémon Pangoro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
rest talk circle throw/bulk up actually sounds good enough to work along with scrappy. That would make it outclass throh as a circle thrower so yeah nice set.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
just wondering but was it checked out to see if it can learn any of the elemental fang moves? Yeah their much weaker than the punch moves but if pangoro manages to get them its still something.

Pangoro

Type: Fighting / Dark
Abilities: Iron Fist / Mold Breaker / Scrappy
Base Stats: 110 / 130 / 80 / 80 / 80 / 70
Notable Moves:
Hammer Arm
Crunch
Bulk Up
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Poison Jab
Circle Throw
Taunt
Payback
Surf
Grass Knot
Parting Shot

General Analysis:

Pangoro is another new Pokemon XY brought; and it comes with the ever great Fighting / Dark typing, after Scrafty. Pangoro, stat wise, isn't too bad. It's got loads of Attack, so it hits quite hard, and has decent bulk as well. It is rather slow, but 70 Speed isn't completely terrible either; it does outspeed some walls at the very least! 80 Special Attack I guess is rather mediocre but not unusable. It has two abilities in Iron Fist and Mold Breaker, and both are pretty decent abilities overall. Overall, Pangoro's looking like a Pokemon made to take some hits and hit back hard.

Potential Sets:

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Trait: Iron Fist or Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Crunch
- Parting Shot / Stone Edge / Earthquake
- Poison Jab

With such a high Attack stat, it's only natural to consider CB for a set. With a CB intact, Pangoro hits quite hard, and Dark / Fighting has pretty decent coverage except on fairies; Hammer Arm and Crunch are the two STAB moves, and although they're not Close Combat or anything, they're still packing decent power. Parting Shot is kind of funny since it's a combination of U-turn and Memento to an extent; weaken them and switch. Stone Edge is there to deal with Flying-types, of course, and since Pangoro is apparently walled by Fairies like Sylveon, Poison Jab is an ideal move to smack them on the switch-in. Earthquake could go in there if Toxicroak could be a problem, although I'm not sure if that will be a relevant threat anymore with rain being nerfed. Poison in general has pretty bad coverage, but is worth it. Basically, I think CB will the way to go with Pangoro, though that could change as more is found out about it.

Pangoro @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute / Crunch
- Bulk Up
- Hammer Arm
- Crunch / Poison Jab

Pangoro's got decent bulk, and it has Bulk Up as well, so it could go out of the immediate power route and go the bulky boosting route, boosting with Bulk Up multiple times. Although there's still Scrafty around with the great Shed Skin and Drain Punch, Pangoro's got a lot more power and somewhat better Speed (not sure if this counts as an advantage though lol). It can run Sub to complement Bulk Up, or it could possibly just run BU+3 Attacks to hit decently hard and take hits. Hammer Arm+Crunch still has decent coverage, and Poison Jab gets the edge on Gardevoir and Sylveon. Overall, Pangoro could make a potentially decent user of Bulk Up.

Checks and Counters:

There aren't an awful lot of counters, but checks are certainly out there. Fairies like Gardevoir and Sylveon could come in on most things not named Poison Jab and wreck it with Moon Blast. Both of the ones I mentioned (since they'll probably be the most relevant ones) are somewhat shaky though. Other Fighting- and Flying-types, particularly Hawlucha, could be a threat to it as well, since Hawlucha does resist both STABs, unfortunately. Other than that, I don't have much of an idea here, because the XY metagames have yet to exist!

Conclusion:

Pangoro overall brings something rather interesting to the table, and a somewhat different approach from Scrafty for a Fighting / Dark type overall. It looks rather interesing to see how it fares, so what do you think about this panda?
Not too shabby, but you should update his Base Stats.

Tried a Scarf set with Parting shot. It's fantastic at keeping momentum and supporting the team, but it can't really do much else. It's too slow to run adamant and his moves lack on BP to actually hurt stuff, it would kill for close combat.
That's too bad to hear. I was also thinking scarf. Hm. Choice band is a great wall breaker so I guess he could be a good run-to for a voltturn team. Crunch, hammer arm, parting shot and Poison jab/body slam/Low Sweep/PUP could be good

I've been looking around a bit, and on the Azumarill page, they mentioned using a Swalot with Infestation + Yawn to allow Azumarill a free Belly Drum (Belly Drum + Aqua Jet is now viable on him). That got me thinking, wouldn't Pangoro's Infestation + Parting Shot work similarly? You'd trap them Turn 1, weaken their offenses and swap to Azumarill Turn 2, and then Azumarill is at liberty to set up a sweep. I get that he doesn't get as much freedom as when the opponent is asleep, but it could work well considering Azumarill's already good defenses and new typing.

Pangoro is weak to Fairy, Flying, and Fighting, all types that Azumarill should do well against. Do you think these two have potential together?

I've been looking around a bit, and on the Azumarill page, they mentioned using a Swalot with Infestation + Yawn to allow Azumarill a free Belly Drum (Belly Drum + Aqua Jet is now viable on him). That got me thinking, wouldn't Pangoro's Infestation + Parting Shot work similarly? You'd trap them Turn 1, weaken their offenses and swap to Azumarill Turn 2, and then Azumarill is at liberty to set up a sweep. I get that he doesn't get as much freedom as when the opponent is asleep, but it could work well considering Azumarill's already good defenses and new typing.

Pangoro is weak to Fairy, Flying, and Fighting, all types that Azumarill should do well against. Do you think these two have potential together?
Will they even be in the same tier?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
probably not but it could be useful in the lower tiers like maybe helping glass cannons like rampardos have a chance to set up and sweep.

Despite the Dark typing Scrappy might actually be useful on Pangoro, the fact that it can lock itself into a fighting move with no worries of ghost switch-ins in itself is pretty good and theoretically speaking with Scrappy it can check Aegislash with Storm Throw, the 100% crit rate means Pangoro isn't worried about King's Shield. Granted I doubt that they'll be in the same tier but its still something.

just wondering but was it checked out to see if it can learn any of the elemental fang moves? Yeah their much weaker than the punch moves but if pangoro manages to get them its still something.
He gets Blaze Kick.

Has anyone checked if Pangoro gets like Bullet or Mach Punch? He in same egg group as Hitmonchan I believe.

With those two, Crunch, and Parting shot I think he could be OU... other than that he seems like a waste of Parting Shot. Such a good move, and a cool Poke, but meh...

Dat 4x Fairy weakness is brutal. Bullet punch in particular would be HUUUGE.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
na he doesnt get any priority. at least not yet. But blaze kick is pretty cool to have on it even though its not really going to help it much tbh. Seriously nintendo if your going to give it blaze kick, why not fire punch so it can abuse its iron fist? makes no sense -.- I dont know about you but he looks much more like a puncher than a kicker but ah well. better than nothing.

Game Freak:
Lets give Pangoro Iron Fist

Designer:
Should he alot of punching moves like Mach, Fire, Thunder, Ice or Bullet punch

Game Freak:
No! Why would we do that? He might get confused with some other fighting panda from a certain 3D animated movie series and TV show we will not speak of...

Designer:
But then why have that ability? It seem pointless for the Meta...

Game Freak:
Screw The Meta! We have money!

Desinger:
Ugh.... When will that motto die?

Just a thought though. I think poison Jab should come under Iron Fisrs effect, cause a 'Jab' is a term in boxing to preform a fast forceful bunch forward.

Game Freak:
Lets give Pangoro Iron Fist

Designer:
Should he alot of punching moves like Mach, Fire, Thunder, Ice or Bullet punch

Game Freak:
No! Why would we do that? He might get confused with some other fighting panda from a certain 3D animated movie series and TV show we will not speak of...

Designer:
But then why have that ability? It seem pointless for the Meta...

Game Freak:
Screw The Meta! We have money!

Desinger:
Ugh.... When will that motto die?

Just a thought though. I think poison Jab should come under Iron Fisrs effect, cause a 'Jab' is a term in boxing to preform a fast forceful bunch forward.
Before you get there, let's start on Rotom-S and Levitate.

Not so much, it really doesn't look like what they had in mind when making Poison Jab was a "punch". Pokemon like Seviper can learn it too.
You know the old description actually said hands or sharp pointy things. so it could be interperated that way. afterall pokemon who use it like pangoro are gonna coat their fist as poison to use it

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
Before you get there, let's start on Rotom-S and Levitate.
In my opinion, I think the reason they gave rotom-S a useless ability is for the sake of keeping all the rotom abilities the same. Since if they changed one because of its typing, they might have to change all the other forms abilities as well. It just turned out that way since it used to be part ghost in gen 4 instead of flying but thats for another descussion.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Quipping into the Iron Fist discussion, upon researching Pangoro and doing some calculations, Iron Fist is actually somewhat of a lifesaver for it (of course, there's better abilities like Adaptability and Shadow Tag, but I digress). You guys know how you complained about the lack of a good Fighting-type move for it such as Close Combat? Yeah. It's been brought up in the first page, but I'll bring the facts back to light again.

After factoring in Iron Fist, Hammer Arm actually does equally as much as a STAB Close Combat, assuming Pangoro actually had it. And considering how slow Pangoro actually is, it's not exactly a horrible move to use, unless you were pairing Pangoro with Speed boosts + Baton Pass or a Choice Scarf. So yeah unless we're talking about Drain Punch or Hi Jump Kick (egg move?) or perhaps a better ability, I think Pangoro is fine in the Fighting-type STAB department. Now, DARK-TYPE moves, on the other hand...

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
na its dar moves are fine. Crunch is good in general and its slow enough to get the boosted payback on most pokemon. Just needs an ice move. even ice fang will do

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
na its dar moves are fine. Crunch is good in general and its slow enough to get the boosted payback on most pokemon. Just needs an ice move. even ice fang will do
Yeah I was moreorless referring to the fact that Pangoro sorely wanted Sucker Punch, which would have made a slow set slightly more useable hahaha

But yeah, here's to hoping it gets Ice Punch (pretty much guarunteed after the whole trend involving third game installments and their punch tutors).

Hammer Arm would be great on the Iron Fist set. The only reason why I really haven't mentioned it is mostly because I'm assuming everyone talked a lot about it already. But anyways Hammer Arm being base 120 damage with Iron Fist is nothing to scoff at, especially with Pangoro's attack stat. If there's any flaws well obviously the Speed loss which is kind of a downer, but great for Trick Room. Pangoro's no Scrafty either as his defenses are average and with the avent of the Fairy type, Fighting/Dark doesn't look appealing defensively. It can hit hard and could possibly 2HKO, even 1HKO a lot of pokemon but I believe it can be 2HKO'D pretty easily. Iron Fist so far only boosts the power of 2 moves right now and it doesn't have much utility at the moment. But Pangoro doesn't have much options anyways.

And I'm not doing the math right now either, just making estimated guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)