Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What EV spread is everyone using for Ferrothorn at the moment? I was thinking of investing more in defense for stuff like Azumarill but I'm not really sure.

is return not automatically 102 on battlespot ranked?

+4 252 (31 iv att) jolly mega kanghaskhan return failed to KO mega garchomp.

Even assuming impish max ev investment, its a OHKO:
+4 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Garchomp: 477-562 (113.5 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I traded over a kanghaskhan to another game, and then went to ranked battle. i used power up punch twice, and I definitely got all 4 boosts to kill a walrein.
next turn he sends out chomp. he megaevolves, and I use +4 return. does about 90% damage. wtf

it also failed to 2hko gyarados (it had rock helmet) when it wasn't intimidated, because i switched in after it killed my aegislash.
assuming max investment:
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 204-243 (51.7 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

that is assuming max impish 252/252 hp/df however, it wasnt even close. 1 return did about 40 percent damage, still well in the green. I forgot how much it had left after the second return, but it didnt KO.

What EV spread is everyone using for Ferrothorn at the moment? I was thinking of investing more in defense for stuff like Azumarill but I'm not really sure.
It's difficult to decide on physical or special. Special secures you from fire moves and Focus Blast, but physical saves you from Flare Blitz, which basically is the only strong physical fire move. If you have rocky helmet, go physical. If you have lefties, go special.

I've also pondered about choice band ferro. It has good attack and no one expects it + STABs that wrecks Fairies and a good deal of scarfers with Gyro Ball.

is return not automatically 102 on battlespot ranked?

+4 252 (31 iv att) jolly mega kanghaskhan return failed to KO mega garchomp.

Even assuming impish max ev investment, its a OHKO:
+4 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Garchomp: 477-562 (113.5 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I traded over a kanghaskhan to another game, and then went to ranked battle. i used power up punch twice, and I definitely got all 4 boosts to kill a walrein.
next turn he sends out chomp. he megaevolves, and I use +4 return. does about 90% damage. wtf

it also failed to 2hko gyarados (it had rock helmet) when it wasn't intimidated, because i switched in after it killed my aegislash.
assuming max investment:
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 204-243 (51.7 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

that is assuming max impish 252/252 hp/df however, it wasnt even close. 1 return did about 40 percent damage, still well in the green. I forgot how much it had left after the second return, but it didnt KO.
If you trade a mon, its happiness is reset. You must max out the happiness again for Return to work like you want it to.

Hey I am looking to making my Nidoking...
I need help on the final moveslot.
Earth Power
Sludge Bomb
Ice Beam
Now... Either Fire Blast or Thunderbolt?

Hey I am looking to making my Nidoking...
I need help on the final moveslot.
Earth Power
Sludge Bomb
Ice Beam
Now... Either Fire Blast or Thunderbolt?
Sludge Wave>Sludge Bomb.

The last slot can go to either one of the two, depending on what your team has trouble with. Fire Blast roasts Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor, while Thunderbolt hits bulky waters and has great neutral coverage with Ice Beam.

Sludge Wave>Sludge Bomb.

The last slot can go to either one of the two, depending on what your team has trouble with. Fire Blast roasts Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor, while Thunderbolt hits bulky waters and has great neutral coverage with Ice Beam.
Sorry I meant Wave. % to poison is obviously pointless.
And ya, I always look back at Ferrothorn and Scizor, since there are so many of those running around haha
I guess you are right, should be dependent on what team I will use him with.

First time posting here, and this has popped into my mind recently...

I've been looking at a lot of movesets people have come up with for the Gen 6 pokes. A lot of them have EV spreads of 252(insert stat here)/252(insert stat here)/ 4(insert stat here). Since most XY wi-fi battles set every pokemon's level to 50(or, in the case of the Battle Spot, sets any pokemon above level 50 to 50), wouldn't it be more useful to have something like, let's say, 248/248/8? I remember reading somewhere that 8 EVs = 1 stat point for pokemon at level 50.

In other words, for 252(stat)/252(stat)/4(stat) EV spreads, wouldn't the 4 EVs be useless because most battles are at level 50?

Last edited:
What's a good moveset for Golurk if you don't use any of its move tutor moves from BW2? Severely limiting, I know, but is there anything useable?

Also, how viable is choice scarf Bouffalant? If also using max investment it outspeeds up to max speed base 105s I think, which is pretty decent. And his attack can easily reach a higher level with sap sipper.

What's a good moveset for Golurk if you don't use any of its move tutor moves from BW2? Severely limiting, I know, but is there anything useable?

Also, how viable is choice scarf Bouffalant? If also using max investment it outspeeds up to max speed base 105s I think, which is pretty decent. And his attack can easily reach a higher level with sap sipper.
It can do a Dynamicpunch set, though personally I feel like a Hammer Arm/Earthquake/Shadow Punch/filler set is a bit better. Iron Fist Hammer Arm is more powerful than No Guard Dynamicpunch.

Where can I find good sprites for gens 1-6? The site I was previously using isn't working anymore...
Bulbapedia has the sprites for all previous gens. If you need a sprite sheet I can't help you, but any given Pokemon's Bulbapedia page should have all of its various sprites.

What is a good check/counter for Volcarona? I am wondering if I should use the one I used in BW2 metagame. I'm speaking of a traditional set with Quiver Dance etc. Thank you for your input (hope I'm in the right place for this question).

What is a good check/counter for Volcarona? I am wondering if I should use the one I used in BW2 metagame. I'm speaking of a traditional set with Quiver Dance etc. Thank you for your input (hope I'm in the right place for this question).
Talonflame has priority Brave Bird and can't be burnt, resists both the stabs and the other common moves it runs. Also it takes 50% from Stealth Rocks.

One thing I keep forgetting. Can you use different Pokemon evolutions on the same team? like use both Porygon2 and PorygonZ?

Speaking of PorygonZ, what ability is better for a Nasty Plot set, Adaptability or Download? And Timid or Modest?

One thing I keep forgetting. Can you use different Pokemon evolutions on the same team? like use both Porygon2 and PorygonZ?

Speaking of PorygonZ, what ability is better for a Nasty Plot set, Adaptability or Download? And Timid or Modest?
From what I understand, Smogon's major tiers follow the Species Clause, which bars you from using two Pokemon that share a National Dex number. But... I don't actually think that Species Clause bars you from using two different evolutions of the same line...

I'm not entirely certain how much good it would do you. Aside from special circumstances (Gardevoir and Gallade, for example), you'd have two Pokemon with similar stats, one weaker (but probably holding Eviolite) and similar roles. Forme changes don't count, so you can't use two Rotoms...

What I'm curious about is how Sleep Clause handles reflected effects. The official 5th Gen definition I came across while looking up Species Clause seems to suggest that Sleep Clause will get you if you inflict Sleep to a second Pokemon via Magic Bounce? That's interesting. (Albeit hard to abuse, of course, considering that the only things likely to throw Sleep around willy-nilly are Spore users and they're all immune to it except Smeargle...)

INTERESTING STUFF

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Yes you can. As mentioned, species clause bars using two Pokemon with the same Pokedex number. You cannot use Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S or Rotom washing machine and Rotom oven on the same team, but you may use Wartortle and Blastoise or, as you mentioned, P2 and P-Z.

For NP, I would go with Adaptability since you're already boosting up. Adaptability makes your STAB hit even harder. Download is better suited for a Choice set when you're trying to hit and run. More details can be found in P-Z's analysis. Timid is much better for setting up and sweeping.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Where can I find good sprites for gens 1-6? The site I was previously using isn't working anymore...
http://pokemonshowdown.com/dex/ has all fifth generation sprites and the XY sprites we're making by hand. If that's not what you're looking for, there's always Serebii, Veekun, or Bulbapedia.
When using super training, does Pokerus or an item like macho brace do anything to speed up the EV gains?
No.
Is there anyway to get Hidden power fire with either the special attack or speed at 31?
Also no.

I'm a little confused by the Gen 6 banlist - it says Deoxys and Deoxys-A are banned from OU. Is "Deoxys" the same as Deoxys-N, and does this mean Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S are allowed in XY OU?

Can a 5th Gen Pokemon sent through Bank remember any Egg moves/Event moves/Tutor Moves that it had when it came through, assuming it forgets them and you take it to the move relearner?

Does anything have comparable turn one power to Mega Charizard Y? I want to try using Mega Charizard X on a team, but have grown to rely on Mega Char Y's wallbreaking utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)