Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (B- and C+ Pokemon discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before, the thing has some very nostalgic value, and finding out it is so disliked within the community is just heart breaking for me. Moving on... What do we think about ninetails? Unless it's UU and I don't know where that list is.
This is a thread for competitive ranking. Arcanine is, aesthetically, a great Pokemon, no one here hates it, but it's just not a stellar choice in OU and trying to get your favorites ranked just because you like them won't end well.

I'm sure a lot of people here have favorites that are in lower tiers, they just recognize that they'd probably be better off using something else in OU. Don't take it personally.

As I said before, the thing has some very nostalgic value, and finding out it is so disliked within the community is just heart breaking for me. Sorry for having an opinion. Moving on... What do we think about ninetails? Unless it's UU and I don't know where that list is.
We're not here to discuss our old favorites from the past and rank them in a fun way, we're here to have a serious discussion on what deserves to be graded a certain letter based on their ability to perform within the OU meta. Even though, imo, is a kinda waste of time considering we won't know exactly where everyone fits until months from now when the meta stabilizes (and bank actually releases). But at least this way we can sort pokemon to know who's most terrifying and that let's us build better teams that can handle situations/threats better.

As for Ninetails, she was OU last gen due to her ability, Drought. Now that perma weather isn't a thing, she might drop to UU, especially since CharY is the main-to-go Sun user, but we shall see. Tails would rank C- imo, as pure fire type isn't great considering all the physical threats that have both speed and power. Politoad, another poke critically effected by weather, but I think as a water type he's still viable for OU. Probably a B- or B.

I believe Forretress should be B- to B+ ranking.

Forretress may be inferior to Ferrothorn, but it has other tools that Ferrothorn can DIE for.

First off is the ability to spin. Forretress can spin away Deo's hazards while also setting up his own. He also gets to carry Volt Switch which makes him a choice for VoltTurn, and allows him to get away from the Megazards on the switch. Forretress also has Toxic Spikes, which isn't to great, but poisoning any foe (Bar poison, flying, and steel types) is something good, especially id you carry Sub/Protect.

So there is my reasoning, feel free to criticize it all you want

Not too many pokes really benefit from perma hail, so temporary weather might actually kind of increase old obamasnow's usability. He now fits slightly better on teams that aren't entirely hail-oriented, and the mega evolution adds some utility in trick room and skyrockets both offenses. Sadly, trick room is not very usable in singles, and he gets absolutely shat on by talonflame, tyranitar, terrakion, excadrill, breloom, ferrothorn and pretty much every fire type. I think his typing really gets him here. I wouldn't quite call him extraordinarily viable in ou.

If it were up to me I would make the following changes to this list:

If someone could explain to me how and why Mega Venusaur is in the S rank I would appreciate it. I have never had a problem with it and I personally do not believe it is that good. There is a good chance that I am missing something though so I am open to that possibility.

Charizard-X rarely sees play. I see plenty more Charizard-Ys and Charizard-X does gain a more offensive typing, but loses the crucial immunity to Ground and some other resistances that it can use to its advantage when sweeping. Regardless I do not think anything with Charizard in its name deserves to be anything more than A or even B. Charizard-X is only useful as a Dragon Dancer and he needs to contend with Dragonite, Tyranitar, Mega Tyranitar, and other good users of DD. While compared to Charizard-Y, Charizard-Y actually has a specific niche being a fairly strong wall breaker. I believe that Charizard-Y should be higher than Charizard-X, but neither of them should be above an A. They both probably deserve to be the B range.

Manaphy is an easy S in my opinion. With 100s all across the board along with an excellent offensive and defensive typing it can tank and sweep teams very easily. Barring a choiced super effective hit or something of similar power Manaphy after a single Tail Glow is extremely hard to deal with. On top of that once you have dealt with it, it rests off all of that damage and recovers from sleep due to Hydration. If it were up to me Genesect and Manaphy would be on the next boat to the Uber tier.

Finally, simply put that I think that Mega Tyranitar deserves a mention in the A+ tier due to its significant bulk and offensive increases over plain Tyranitar.

If it were up to me I would make the following changes to this list:

If someone could explain to me how and why Mega Venusaur is in the S rank I would appreciate it. I have never had a problem with it and I personally do not believe it is that good. There is a good chance that I am missing something though so I am open to that possibility.

Charizard-X rarely sees play. I see plenty more Charizard-Ys and Charizard-X does gain a more offensive typing, but loses the crucial immunity to Ground and some other resistances that it can use to its advantage when sweeping. Regardless I do not think anything with Charizard in its name deserves to be anything more than A or even B. Charizard-X is only useful as a Dragon Dancer and he needs to contend with Dragonite, Tyranitar, Mega Tyranitar, and other good users of DD. While compared to Charizard-Y, Charizard-Y actually has a specific niche being a fairly strong wall breaker. I believe that Charizard-Y should be higher than Charizard-X, but neither of them should be above an A. They both probably deserve to be the B range.

Manaphy is an easy S in my opinion. With 100s all across the board along with an excellent offensive and defensive typing it can tank and sweep teams very easily. Barring a choiced super effective hit or something of similar power Manaphy after a single Tail Glow is extremely hard to deal with. On top of that once you have dealt with it, it rests off all of that damage and recovers from sleep due to Hydration. If it were up to me Genesect and Manaphy would be on the next boat to the Uber tier.

Finally, simply put that I think that Mega Tyranitar deserves a mention in the A+ tier due to its significant bulk and offensive increases over plain Tyranitar.
One of Fuzznip's posts on page six very thoroughly explains why Mega Venusaur is an S rank.

Could we refer to my post on the previous page for a discussion on Mega Gardevoir on why it should be either B+ or A rank.

Nominating Froslass for A-/B+

As it is, while outclassed by Deoxys-S, one of the most amazing Spikers, good amount of speed, unpredictable, versatile, fast Destiny Bond, fast Taunt, and can run T-Wave to get "Free turns". It also can run some quite gimmicky sets such as T-Wave + Hex; it also is the second best Sub-Disable user after Gengar, except that Froslass can use the free turns for setting spikes.

I think Froslass fits greatly here, it does give the opponent free turns using Spikes, it cannot create free turns easily, but it can still do it, between T-Wave, Disable, Switcheroo, and Taunt, it can easily set up minimum of 2 layers of spikes thnx to Focus Sash, it may be completely flat out stopped by faster taunt, but outside of Crobat, it is faster than all the pokemons that would taunt/defog as regular bases.

Froslass can switcheroo it's scarf to gain a free turns, it can taunt the pokemons setting up, he has to switch so that's a 1 turn, it can disable a choiced pokemons so that's also a free turn, So Disable/Switcheroo/Taunt/Spikes can put 3 layers of spikes. Even though it loses it's focus Sash, it is a bit risky.

OR you can have Taunt/Disable/T-Wave/Spikes w/ Focus Sash, you can also layer 3 layers of spikes.

of course, you can use Froslass for support and just taking down at least 1 pokemons from the opponent, with T-Wave/Disable/Destiny Bond/Taunt or Spikes, you are either setting minimum 2 layers of spikes, crippling foes, making your pokemons faster (T-Wave), or taking minimum 1 pokemon down thnx to fast speed or Destiny Knot.
This has been ignored ;-;

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I'm not really sure if Mega-Gardevoir should be the one to receive the hype here. Sure, it's the fastest Fairy-type we have, but it still isn't fast enough to outspeed the threats it wants to hit, and if you really wanted a fast Fairy-type you could just give Gardevoir a Scarf. This is very reminiscent to the Alakazam vs Mega-Alakazam comparison, in which the base form's ability is more appealing and useful than the Mega's. Ironically, Trace is the eyecatching ability here, since Gardevoir can make better use of it with its ability to wield items. A fast Moonblast actually threatens a good majority of offensive Pokes in the tier, such as Dragons, Greninja, and the musketeers. More defensively inclined Gardevoirs can still function fine with Leftovers (their HP and Defense stats literally do not change). I don't see much reason to use Mega-Gardevoir over regular Gardevoir at all, aside from maybe Calm Mind, but its physical defenses are complete ass and it lacks the raw speed and reliable recovery needed to maintain a sweep. I'd say B-tier.

As for Chansey, it literally faces the same issue as Sylevon and Florges: if you can take its attack and status move of choice, it's free setup fodder, and it's even worse that Chansey relies on fixed damage attacks so you telegraph the opponent how much damage you'll do and how much they can get away with. Swamp-Rocket also address many of the issues Chansey has (namely the inability to stop the tier's most potent special attackers), and it has gained nothing to help remedy these issues, bar the residual weather damage nerf. Something like Chansey, who gains little to no movepool options with each generation, only gets better if the meta around it becomes more favorable, and I don't see it for Chansey here.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure if Mega-Gardevoir should be the one to receive the hype here. Sure, it's the fastest Fairy-type we have, but it still isn't fast enough to outspeed the threats it wants to hit, and if you really wanted a fast Fairy-type you could just give Gardevoir a Scarf. This is very reminiscent to the Alakazam vs Mega-Alakazam comparison, in which the base form's ability is more appealing and useful than the Mega's. ironically, Trace is the eyecatching ability here, since Gardevoir can make better use of it with its ability to wield items. A fast Moonblast actually threatens a good majority of offensive Pokes in the tier, such as Dragons, Greninja, and the musketeers. More defensively inclined Gardevoirs can still function fine with Leftovers (their HP and Defense stats literally do not change). I don't see much reason to use Mega-Gardevoir at all.
As stated in my post on the previous page, Gardevoir's mega form is really rather bulky, with 135 Special Defense, and a whopping 165 Special Attack, giving it the SpD plus of every other Fairy, and a very dangerous attack ability. Frankly the speed is a bonus and with only two calm minds can destroy a team, even absolute special walls like Goodra, with Hyper Voice, a 90 power normal attack which becomes a 117 Fairy type with Pixilate, and 175.5 power with STAB on top of that. With 165 Attack and 0 EVs that's a serious threat, and add 252 EVs (471 SpA) and a Calm Mind or two, and Gardevoir turns into a deadly Special Sweeper with the ability to take a few special hits.

Quick Comparison on MEvo:
+40 SpA
+20 SpD
+20 Spe

Not to mention a scarfed Gardevoir takes away Hyper Voice and the special movepool versatility with Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, and Shadow Ball. I will not argue that Speed being at 100 rather than 110 makes a huge difference, but again, it can outspeed many physically offensive pokemon and has massive resistance against fighting, not to mention 2 counterable and 1 major weakness, with no 4xs. While it cannot dominate, it cannot do any less than either Mega Charizard, and I have found from my experience, it can do more, which is why I believe it is A Rank or B+ Rank at least.

Last edited:
Ok, I have a ton of other reasonings I was going to put in the previous thread, so the second of these multiple analysis is the apparent absence of Victini and Cloyster, who I'll discuss in separate paragraphs.

Victini has amazing coverage. Fighting, Electric, Flying just to name a few! It also has access to one of the best last resort moves ever: V-Create. Running a physical set makes this 1 move the definition of powerful. It already has a 270 BP when STAB is applied. U-Turn is also there for the scouting ability and is Victini's 1 way of hitting Lati@s. Charge Beam is Victini's 1 revenge killing move and at a 7/10% chance to boost your SpAtk, I think we're good.

Holy beans and cheese is Cloyster the best Shell Smashing sweeper I've seen in my life. Not only has he got me out of very scary situations, but build him right and he wrecks things. Cloyster got Skill Link and he has 2 moves (3 if you count Spike Cannon) that abuse it. Couple that with a sash and the ability to double your attack and speed and you've got a sweeper. Ice Shard is also a good option fir getting rid of this weakened fast sweepers.

Hooh, that told a bit of energy. Thank you for reading.

EDIT: I would rank Victini in B+ and Cloyster in A

Last edited:
Nominating Alakazam (regular) and Klefki for B+ rank

The category for B rank is thus:

"Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche."

And despite the fact that neither Alakazam base bot Klefki sweep or wall most of the meta, they almost always prove invaluable in whatever battle they are in. Because regular Alakazam can hold a Focus Sash, it is almost guaranteed to be able to revenge kill something effectively every match, and Klefki's Prankster allows it to kind of become a mini Deoxys-S in that it is almost guaranteed to get up Dual Screens or Spikes... and as much as we want to ignore it, let's not forget that horrible SwagPlay set... *shudders*

...Anyways, I don't know why it's currently a B- considering that unlike Galvantula, it can provide usefulness throughout the entire match, and pull off a variety of sets to support the team and annoy the opponent.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
As stated in my post on the previous page, Gardevoir's mega form is really rather bulky, with 135 Special Defense, and a whopping 165 Special Attack, giving it the SpD plus of every other Fairy, and a very dangerous attack ability. Frankly the speed is a bonus and with only two calm minds can destroy a team, even absolute special walls like Goodra, with Hyper Voice, a 90 power normal attack which becomes a 117 Fairy type with Pixilate, and 175.5 power with STAB on top of that. With 165 Attack and 0 EVs that's a serious threat, and add 252 EVs and a Calm Mind or two, and Gardevoir turns into a deadly Special Sweeper with the ability to take a few special hits.
Yeah, I edited my post amidst your typing that Mega-Garde is better at Calm Mind than regular Garde, but that is really the only thing it does better than regular Gardevoir. Regular Gardevoir can use a Scarf to outspeed opponents and let them taste powerful, fast Fairy attacks, while supporting with Trick, Healing Wish or Destiny Bond. Defensively inclined sets have Leftovers which really helps when its only recovery is Wish + Protect. Mega-Garde's Special Defense boost is minuscule compared to the already good 115 Special Defense regular Garde has, and the Speed boost still doesn't let Mega-Gardevoir outspeed prominent Fairy-weak threats. Pixilated Hyper Voice and an engorged Special Attack stat are the main draws Mega-Garde has over regular Garde, which really doesn't seem like a very worthy trade off compared to what else you can do with Garde.

Ok, I have a ton of other reasonings I was going to put in the previous thread, so the second of these multiple analysis is the apparent absence of Victini and Cloyster, who I'll discuss in separate paragraphs.

Victini has amazing coverage. Fighting, Electric, Flying just to name a few! It also has access to one of the best last resort moves ever: V-Create. Running a physical set makes this 1 move the definition of powerful. It already has a 270 BP when STAB is applied. U-Turn is also there for the scouting ability and is Victini's 1 way of hitting Lati@s. Charge Beam is Victini's 1 revenge killing move and at a 7/10% chance to boost your SpAtk, I think we're good.

Holy beans and cheese is Cloyster the best Shell Smashing sweeper I've seen in my life. Not only has he got me out of very scary situations, but build him right and he wrecks things. Cloyster got Skill Link and he has 2 moves (3 if you count Spike Cannon) that abuse it. Couple that with a sash and the ability to double your attack and speed and you've got a sweeper. Ice Shard is also a good option fir getting rid of this weakened fast sweepers.

Hooh, that told a bit of energy. Thank you for reading.
I would help if you actually stated what rank you want these mons in...

Yeah, I edited my post amidst your typing that Mega-Garde is better at Calm Mind than regular Garde, but that is really the only thing it does better than regular Gardevoir. Regular Gardevoir can use a Scarf to outspeed opponents and let them taste powerful, fast Fairy attacks, while supporting with Trick, Healing Wish or Destiny Bond. Defensively inclined sets have Leftovers which really helps when its only recovery is Wish + Protect. Mega-Garde's Special Defense boost is minuscule compared to the already good 115 Special Defense regular Garde has, and the Speed boost still doesn't let Mega-Gardevoir outspeed prominent Fairy-weak threats. Pixilated Hyper Voice and an engorged Special Attack stat are the main draws Mega-Garde has over regular Garde, which really doesn't seem like a very worthy trade off compared to what else you can do with Garde.
I will respectfully disagree as it changes Garde from a Fairy Support/dragon stopper to much more of a special sweeper type, and again, I'd like to know what weaknesses you are referring to, as I did calcs for my previous post on page 17 and listed any and all threats found in most of OU so far.

"
All of the following are with 0 SpD, Def and HP EVs:

And the only enormous threat in terms of STAB Super Effective I've seen is S-Ranked Aeiglash, and Mega Lucario and Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch, isn't OHKO'ed by Genesect, is walled by Heatran, higher chance to OHKO Talonflame (25% to 18.8% without Thunderbolt but moves 2nd), is OHKOed by Mega Pinsir, and that's the A+ and S ranks that it will probably lose too, and beats the others.

A-Rank losses: Excadrill, Azumarill (Though if it Belly Drums first MGard wins), MMalwile, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Chansey (As with all Specials)

It also beats ALL B+ Rank pokemon, even the Steel Skarmory."

Nominating Mega Banette for B rank.

Mega Banette is your one get-out-of-jail-free card for the match: no matter what the opponent has set up or has done, priority Destiny Bond helps you with your screw up. If the opponent then chooses not to attack, it can then go for the slow Shadow Force to play mind games with the opponent, and together with Sucker Punch and priority Taunt, it can chain KOs. Although priority Destiny Bond may be its claim to fain, it also has a lot of other moves to make a decent support set, notably Will-O-Wisp, Trick, Torment, Disable, and Thunder Wave. In short, though it doesn't sweep or wall a significant potion of the metagame, it can use the tools at its disposal to remain a consistently annoying and powerful presence.

isn't OHKO'ed by Genesect
Yes it is, if it carries Iron Head.

+1 4 Atk Genesect Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 432-510 (155.3 - 183.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

higher chance to OHKO Talonflame (25% to 18.8% without Thunderbolt but moves 2nd)
That "moves 2nd" part is kind of a big deal, due to Gardevoir's poor physical bulk.

A-Rank losses: Excadrill, Azumarill (Though if it Belly Drums first MGard wins), MMalwile, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Chansey (As with all Specials)
Why would Azumarill try to Belly Drum on something with base 165 special attack? O_o

Nominating Alakazam (regular) and Klefki for B+ rank
Klefki's Prankster allows it to kind of become a mini Deoxys-S in that it is almost guaranteed to get up Dual Screens or Spikes... and as much as we ant to ignore it, let's not forget that horrible SwagPlay set... *shudders*

...Anyways, I don't know why it's currently a B- considering that unlike Galvantula, it can provide usefulness throughout the entire match, and pull off a variety of sets to support the team and annoy the opponent.
As someone who just got wrecked with one 10 minutes ago that did the Swagplay BS, I can attest to this. Thing is super annoying to deal with considering all but ground/electric pokemon can deal with T-wave slowing them down, haxing them, then getting swagged and haxed again, then getting OHKO'd by foul play. If togekiss gets B+, then Klefki can too because unlike Togekiss, Klefki's shenanigans can't be avoided by outspeeding and OHKO'ing it and klefki also aids the team via spikes/screens while Togekiss contributes nothing aside from paraflinch and that's if it isn't outspeed and easily OHKO'd. B+ I nominate it. Maybe even A- unless someone can pick some counters aside other pranskters who can taunt it.

Heatran is vastly superior on the defensive side.
Heatran is specially defensive, while Arcanine is physically defensive due to stuff like intimidate, but b just seems too high, So I would like to nominate arcanine for c rank, due to the fact that it does have a small niche in intimidate + an amazing movepool, but gets eclipsed by other fire types more often than not

Care to elaborate on this?

ZardY imo is fit to be in A rank in the sense that:

A.) It doesn't need much support to do its job. You only have to keep off sr, the most common hazard, off and you're golden.
B.) It sports (if im not mistaken) the most powerful un-supported(meaning no free turns to boost) special nuke in the game. It boosts its own Fire Blast, coming off from a base 159 Sp.Atk, with Drought that it brings itself. It's other coverage move, Solarbeam and Focus Blast, is not too shabby as well, sporting high BP to remedy the lack of STAB.

Imo that's the makings of a rank A right there. It's also not paperthin as Greninja, which will allow it to take a special move or two before going down. Note that ZardY walls/checks a special MegaLuke, as well as eats a Thunderbolt from Genesect and OHKOs back. Point is, it is deceptively bulky on the special side.

ZardX, on the other hand. The only competition its facing against as a DDancer is from Dragonite and Gyarados imo. Haxorus and Salamence is completely outclassed by ZardX, and Tyranitar/Mega Ttar covers a completely different niche although firepower-wise, both Ttars lose to ZardX.

With that said, ZardX still has a niche of his own, as Steel types, mons that used to put a stop to Dragons(remember DragMag? Yeah) are completely obliterated by ZardX. Plus the fact that he is immune to burn is something to consider too. The loss of item is remedied by Tough Claws, giving perma-Life Orb boost to contact attacks Outrage, D.Claw and Flare Blitz. It's last niche is that its the only other Dragon that is not weak to Ice, the other being Kyurem.

All in all, ZardX, like its twin ZardY, covers a niche that nothing else does. Compound with that the fact that bringing in an unevolved Charizard is a real gamble as both MegaZards have different sets of counters and checks. Those reasons imo are enough for it to be A/A+.

Yes it is, if it carries Iron Head.

+1 4 Atk Genesect Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 432-510 (155.3 - 183.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That "moves 2nd" part is kind of a big deal, due to Gardevoir's poor physical bulk.

Why would Azumarill try to Belly Drum on something with base 165 special attack? O_o
My bad on Genesect. Both Azumarill and Talonflames comments are exceptions, and why they are still on the list is because they are threats. Again, what i'm trying to show is that it does kill a significant portion of the metagame, with speedy physical attackers being in some cases a danger

Also, please remember that this is worst case scenario with no bulk evs and no calm mind boosts.

STAB Dark/Ground is stellar coverage on its own as well, only being resisted by Hydreigon, Togekiss, Chesnaught, Breloom, and Mandibuzz I think. Using Stone Edge as coverage allows Krookodile to bypass Togekiss and Mandibuzz and hits Hydreigon neutrally. Although it's walled by Chesnaught and Breloom, the former is kind of underused and the latter can't switch into a boosted Knock Off or Earthquake. Breloom also sucks now so whatever.

For these reasons, I am nominating Krookodile for B rank.
I hate to nitpick, but you forgot to mention Hawlucha resisting Krook's STAB's. It still does have great coverage like you said because of the steel nerf though. And can some discussion on Hawlucha begin already? It has a great STAB combo, speed, boosting moves, and defensive typing. I know with all the Talonflame hype it gets tossed under the rug a lot but I still think it should be ranked C+/B-.

Now, I see that Charizard-Y is an A-rank so far, but I honestly do not agree to that.

My reasoning is: With Drought it becomes a terrifying wallbreaking sweeper, to put it in a strange way, which is incredibly hard to deal with. It has the exact tools it needs to break any would-be counter aside from the blobs that it is very hard switch in on. Basically, you have to sacc something or let anything take a huge hit for a chance to revenge kill this beast. And even then, it sports a pretty good 78/78/115 defenses which means if it has to, it can take a hit. It can also support it's team with the aforementioned ability in several ways: The most obvious one being that it empowers fire-type moves. But there's also the defensive factor in it, as for instance you're at the end of the game and a banded Azumarill threatens your remaining pokemon, which are all weak to it, with it's very powerful Aqua Jet. You can easily sacc it simply to abuse the defensive boost from the sun and score the win instead of falling out on a loss. And that is a gimmick few other offensive pokemon holds. And, I'm actually using this as an example, as this is exactly what's happened to me.

As for how it holds up against it's A companions, it 2HKOs all of them aside from Chansey with his incredible special moves, meaning you're forced to sacc and revenge the threat. And due to him sitting at a comfortable 100 base speed, he's still capable of finishing off whatever mon that are to come in.

In regards on how he holds up to the current S-ranks...
He will win 1v1 against unboosted Physical MLuke. As far as experience goes, MLuke actually finds setting up SDs a bit of a chore, so this is an option. He will win against +2 Special MLuke. He can switch in on the Nasty Plot and plummet the threat away with a Fire Blast or Flamethrower.
He destroys Aegislash. He is one of the mons that OHKOs straight from the bat.
Specially Defensive Mega Venusaur is 2HKOd by Fire Blast and has a MinMax thing on Flamethrower. Obviously, if he switches in on megavenu, the saur can easily synthesis stall him out of Fire Blast pp if need be, but flamethrower is still a very competent option and MegaVenu will lose out in the long run. Also, as mentioned, MegazardY can setup a sub on the Sleep Powder, making him all the more deadlier.
He scares out Genesects that lack Tbolt, and if the Genesect does have Tbolt it won't kill. It's more situational, but very convenient for this mon.
Deoxys-S cannot OHKO even with specs TBolt, if you're into that shit. But Deo-s still reliably sets up hazards on him. Sub is broken by Psycho Boost, so he cannot set up that on it either.

It also forces many switches, granting it free opportunities to either go for an insanely powerful Fire Blast or set up a sub. A ZardY behind a sub is most definitely the one thing I'm most afraid off when I see one on the opponent's team.

It can also run a very effective mix set, which still hits incredibly hard and means that Chansey is no longer an issue beyond heavy recoil. It works similar to the mix MegazardX set, just with more immediate power on both sides. The Flare Blitzes from both unboosted are, well, not that far from eachothers. Of course, the other physical moves will stand weaker, but the mons that check ZardY has now dropped.

252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow in Sun: 1428-1680 (371.8 - 437.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 1440-1696 (375 - 441.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Of course, this thing is a nuke, but if there's something he wish he had, it'd be a better speed tier. 100 isn't the greatest speed for a sweeper, but seeing as this guy is more of a wallbreaker and a supporter for a team member, I'd say the speed isn't too worrisome. At the very least it does not conflict with his role as an absolute destructive wallbreaker, as no wall runs max Speed. So, yeah, being capable of 2HKOing everything, EVERYTHING, in OU but Goodra, Chansey and Blissey after Stealth Rock should be a good way to underline his wallbreaking power.

So, all things considered I'd say he is A+. I'm willing to hear any rebuttals of course. Also, I didn't take stealth rocks into consideration anywhere in this post, so it's somewhat theorymon at that part. Mainly because it's obvious on how it affects the pseudo-Dragon.

Edit: Damn, this post looked smaller when I wrote it down. This is a crime to my laziness, I tell ya.

Last edited:
Nominating zapdos for A-
While this may be a little high, and I am open to B+, zapdos is awesome this gen. It is one of the most reliable defoggers, and can support itself with defog, making stealth rocks not as big of issue. It beats most of the s rank threats other than sd aegislash (which sux) and is bait for deoxys s. It also beats the two biggest mega threats in Mega pinsir and mega lucario. It has good support moves, such as defog, roar, and roost, along with good special attack that allows it to actually hit hard.

Also, mega manetric for A

This thing is sooo good, with its super fast volt switch, great power, and the ability to stop volt switch pre evo. It is an awesome talonflame and pinsir check, and the only real offensive one. It also has great coverage, and is difficult to wall despite its low speed. Super anti meta right now.

So in summary,I <3 electric types

Also, while the discussion has kinda been closed, I am quite against mega venusaur at s. While it is a great mon that is hard to force out, it can't really switch into as many things as u would think. For example, bisharp (just a random example of a strong mon who isn't crazy powerful) ohkoes it at +2 with rocks and a spike. Same with shit like special landorus i. So while it can be hard to force out, it isn't some crazy wall that switches in on everything. If others agree please speak up

I hate to nitpick, but you forgot to mention Hawlucha resisting Krook's STAB's. It still does have great coverage like you said because of the steel nerf though. And can some discussion on Hawlucha begin already? It has a great STAB combo, speed, boosting moves, and defensive typing. I know with all the Talonflame hype it gets tossed under the rug a lot but I still think it should be ranked C+/B-.
In all honesty, I think its UU material if any. Its speed is nice, but its attack is nothing to write home about and it has average bulk at best. While its typing is nice, and access to bulk up can be nifty, it still is rather frail. However Unburden is a great ability for him, as is Limber, so if I had to rank him he'd be a solid C+, but nothing more than that.

Though tbh A- and lower rankings need to be sorted out better. It's too lenient in that its shoving all the good pokemon in A, then B tier is the "so-so" for OU, while C tier is practically UU, and no one even mentions D tier. In other words the pokemon need to spread out more to their actual tiers they should belong to, and D tier should be what barely qualifies for OU (i.e. diggersby/hawlucha/arcanine/etc that have been mentioned). Also people are seeing D rank as crap when it really should be treated a "rank" within OU and not some NU trash that no one should use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)