Serious Political problems in your country?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Actually, aside from spreading awareness of what's happening in my area, I would like to hear about what problems you have got in your countries too.
----------------------------------------------

Here's mine:

I guess some of you probably have clicked into my signature picture by now, and the fact is, we have been suffering so much that I think it's time to spread some awareness of what exactly is going on, in this part of the world.
Please bear in mind that it's difficult for me to hold my anger, so that the language could be a bit strong and may sound hateful.

Point 1: According to the Sino-British joint, which UK and China signed, China is not meant to interfere with the politics of Hong Kong.
Did they keep this promise? No.
Apparently, they have full control of which person becomes Hong Kong's chief executive. (Sort of like the president of Hong Kong.)
They have full control of who gets to be in which position in each government department.
This is, apparently, violation against the treaty and UN laws.

No other countries had been speaking of it apart from Great Britain.
In which, China usually answers that Great Britain should not interfere with their politics.

Point 2: So what happens if the people in the government are elected by them?
Obviously, they can change our policies and laws in a forced manner.

---a) They now allow "tourists" from China to cross our borders without applying VISA. Anyone can come, including (i) pregnant women, (ii) re-sellers who exploit our resources.

(i) Pregnant women like to come to lay their off springs. The reason is simple-- any baby born in Hong Kong whom is ethnically Chinese automatically receives Hong Kong citizenship-- there is no screening of the quality of the parents. (Unlike Canada and most other countries, they have a choice of denying citizenship even if the baby was born in their territory.)

(ii) Re-sellers come to Hong Kong to exploit items such as powdered milk, and other grocery items, to the point that Hongkonger mothers can not buy powdered milk for their own babies. They come in huge swarms, create traffic jams, and occupy our streets and stuff our public transport areas with their boxes. Our trains become very crammed this way.
Although the government now sets a limit that each individual could only take 2 cans of milk powder per trip, they rarely reinforce it because these re-sellers tend to be violent.
There are many incidences that these re-sellers injured staff members.

(iii) Some Chinese people cross the border for sex related jobs.

(iv) Some Chinese people cross the border for kidnapping kids to obtain organs for sale.
Yes, organs such as kidneys and liver, and even eyes. This is not a joke.
Of course, crime rates had also significantly increased.

---b) Any man whom is married with a Chinese wife, can apply citizenship for the wife and its children.
They usually are not well educated. They teach their off springs to use violence whenever things are not to their favour, because they know that Hongkongers are very scared of physical violence.
Fake marriages also happen frequently.
There are many cases in which Chinese women pretend to love their Hong Kong husbands very much, but turned against him after getting the citizenship. The reason is obvious. There was no love to start with. They only want the citizenship.
These women then apply for social welfare and public housing. Whilst people who are really in need have difficulty receiving welfare from the government. The whole situation had been suspicious from the very beginning.

---c) Previously, only people who had lived in Hong Kong for more than 7 years may apply for social welfare. Now this is no longer the case.
This happened recently due to the wording in one of our laws. It was not properly defined.
Back in 1997 when they proposed the laws, people tried to stop them because the laws were not properly defined and had a lot of loop holes. Yet they forced us to have the laws.
Now nightmare begins. Shortly after the announcement, applications for social welfare and public housing skyrocketed.

---d) People who are not ethnically Chinese are not allowed to work in government departments.
(Note difference between nationality and ethnicity. 97% Hong Kong citizens are still ethnically Chinese, but the "Chinese" previously mentioned refers to nationality.)
Many high ranked civil servants whom were ethnically Indian or Pakistani were being kicked out.
This includes the fact that they had lost their pensions.
Also, many became jobless. Luckier ones become security guards, but are still very low paid compared to what they used to have.
Many people who are ethnically English were even forced out of the territory. Many of them currently reside in Australia.

---e) We are forced to buy (dirty and polluted) drinking water from China.
Our water costs 266 times more than what Singapore pays Malaysia for water.
We have no other source of water.
The government lies to us every single day that desalination of drinking water is expensive, etc.
However, according to Singapore, it isn't. In fact, much cheaper.
There are many people who showed us photos of dead animals, algal bloom of the river where the source of our water is from.
Chinese people on the internet like to tell us "Without China, Hong Kong doesn't even have drinking water."

---f) Housing prices in Hong Kong is ridiculous. It surpassed London once in recent years.
The reason? Because Chinese people can buy our properties and then not live in it.
They merely buy it for investment because it's likely to go up.
When they buy, they buy the whole floor, and even the whole block, and then leave it empty.
We urged our government to sort it out, but the government's decision was not significant.
There is currently no way for any working class individual to afford housing.

--------------------

You might ask, how come we aren't planning for immigration?
Well, we lived here. This is our homeland. We are emotionally attached to this piece of land.

Last edited:
I have a huge list of my own in theory but I wouldn't be able to post everything I want by just thinking about it, I'll probably just keep coming to this thread with news stories.

I will say that the "peace talks" going on right now are a fucking disgrace. Guaranteed that nothing will happen in them, the only reason they haven't blown up yet is because of the backdrop. It's a win-win for both govs - one gets a guarantee they won't be seeing anything from the international court for a while and the other gets their "political prisoners" back. Hey, humanity calling, wants you to stop punching it in the face.

err wait, why did you edit the op? just because nobody responded doesn't mean people didn't want to read about it, just saying.

Last edited:

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I reverted the OP to what it was before. give people a chance to respond before you edit out the only content the thread has; you've written a lot and it takes time for users to formulate thoughtful responses

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Oh all right, after v's post this thread suddenly makes a lot more sense

It would be wrong to assume nobody wanted to hear about that, btw: i was getting pretty pissed off when i read it. Political corruption is sadly everywhere, and it's total bullshit. People used to be able to flee to the frontier to escape totalitarianism, but in this day and age there is no frontier, and government is stronger than ever :|

Sadly, I don't know if there's anything that can be done about it, in your country, mine, or any. We're just gonna have to hang on and try to keep our heads on our necks when the next french revolution rolls around (pessimist? Me? No!)

Cresselia~~

Oh all right, after v's post this thread suddenly makes a lot more sense

It would be wrong to assume nobody wanted to hear about that, btw: i was getting pretty pissed off when i read it. Political corruption is sadly everywhere, and it's total bullshit. People used to be able to flee to the frontier to escape totalitarianism, but in this day and age there is no frontier, and government is stronger than ever :|

Sadly, I don't know if there's anything that can be done about it, in your country, mine, or any. We're just gonna have to hang on and try to keep our heads on our necks when the next french revolution rolls around (pessimist? Me? No!)
The government became stronger and stronger.
I heard how in the UK, the police actually attack the protesters now.
The governments over the world actually can order the police to do anything, and the military department is also under them.
They can do everything they want once they had become the leading party, by no matter what means.

It's reported that in Malaysia, the president cheated.
He was very short in the number of votes, but he insisted he didn't need any votes from Chinese (ethnicity) residents.
Then there was a power cut at the voting station, and after a few hours, when the lights are back on again, his votes increased heaps.
"Malaysian's power cut" from then on became a saying.

And, no regular resident can do a thing about it.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh god I don't even want to begin about the cesspit of humanity I live in. Almost nothing in the OP comes close to the stuff going on here. Hard to imagine how a country can be so forward and backward at the same time. Another day another tl;dr maybe. I just don't feel like bashing one out now.

At the Hong Kong issue.
China Takes what China wants and does not give a single fuck. Their government is like a dildo in the ass of humanity. America is tame compared to the shit they pull on a regular basis. The VISA-less tourist things is done with every piece of territory they 'decide' is their own, i.e any place with sufficient chinese-looking (HAPPY ELCHEESO?) people, and not just Hong Kong in particular.
I mean if you think Hong Kong is getting the short end of the stick being an independent Chinese majority territory sovereign from Chinese rule, just look at Tibet. They just outright decided overnight that country belonged to them, and the goddamn marched in the country with their humongous Army. And don't even think the general public opposed that. "Annexing places with people of same language.ethnicity" or however they describe it in the newspapers there is immensely popular with the home crowd.

Last edited:

Asek

Banned deucer.
idk why australians complain about our government (specifically tony abbot and liberal in general) all the time when lets be honest, australian government is pretty good as far as they come, we don't have anything to complain about besides a bunch of people coming here on boats lol

idk why australians complain about our government (specifically tony abbot and liberal in general) all the time when lets be honest, australian government is pretty good as far as they come, we don't have anything to complain about besides a bunch of people coming here on boats lol
People coming on boats is a pretty minor issue in the country next to

- People coming here on planes to "study" and essentially buying permanent residency.
- Rising unemployment masked by the increased percent of the workforce as "casuals".
- A housing market that Gen Y has pretty much no way into.
- The massive abuse of the 457 Visa which is contributing to the above point about unemployment.
- Our economy is increasingly built on a mining bubble, which will eventually collapse -- but said bubble has already killed most of what remained of our manufacturing sector.

Though honestly all of these are pretty first world problems, seeing as we live in a first world country though they are our problems.

Cresselia~~

Oh god I don't even want to begin about the cesspit of humanity I live in. Almost nothing in the OP comes close to the stuff going on here. Hard to imagine how a country can be so forward and backward at the same time. Another day another tl;dr maybe. I just don't feel like bashing one out now.

At the Hong Kong issue.
China Takes what China wants and does not give a single fuck. Their government is like a dildo in the ass of humanity. America is tame compared to the shit they pull on a regular basis. The VISA-less tourist things is done with every piece of territory they 'decide' is their own, i.e any place with sufficient chinese-looking (HAPPY ELCHEESO?) people, and not just Hong Kong in particular.
I mean if you think Hong Kong is getting the short end of the stick being an independent Chinese majority territory sovereign from Chinese rule, just look at Tibet. They just outright decided overnight that country belonged to them, and the goddamn marched in the country with their humongous Army. And don't even think the general public opposed that. "Annexing places with people of same language.ethnicity" or however they describe it in the newspapers there is immensely popular with the home crowd.
This is actually so true.

They never treat us as part of them anyway.
They say that we are a family when they want benefits from us. But they don't treat us as part of them in other situations.
They are here to exploit the hell out of Tibet and Hong Kong. And they want to do it to Taiwan and Singapore as well.

The chief executive of Hong Kong actually has double the amount of salary compared to Prime Minister of UK.
Other members of the parliament is also overly paid.
You see, money is really the only thing they want.

We keep receiving news of how the Tibetans protest by burning themselves alive, but there simply isn't any other countries that improved anything.
I know a lot of countries tried to help, but still, the Tibetans obviously are still suffering.

That's why, I kind of think that protesting in Hong Kong won't work neither.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
why?
Is it because their list would be much longer?
A Russian supergrass who was helping Swiss prosecutors uncover a multi-million pound money laundering scheme used by corrupt Russian officials has died in mysterious circumstances outside his Surrey home, The Independent can reveal.

Also from said article,
Hermitage Capital was once one of the largest foreign investors inside Russia until it became the victim of a $230m (£144m) tax fraud scheme. Corrupt officials from Russia's powerful Interior Ministry conspired with tax officers to steal corporate seals from Hermitage Capital following a police raid and apply for a series of tax rebates using those seals. Complicit courts and tax offices signed off on the deal and the money was transferred into a bank which was liquidated shortly afterwards.

Hermitage hired the Moscow lawyer Sergei Magnitsky to investigate the scam and he publicly named a number of key Interior Ministry officials who he believed were involved. Days after going public he was arrested by the same men he had accused and was held in prison for a year. He died in November 2009 after being refused vital medication following months of increasingly brutal treatment.
Committing business fraud and using state resources to assassinate people who don't look the other way is about as bad as it gets.

On a slightly lighter note, how does everyone feel about China's push towards naval dominance and territorial expansion in the East Chinese Sea? I know that as an American, my views are clouded by the fact that a gain for China is a loss for the United States Navy, but every time I see how prevalent China is on the list of global territorial disputes, I can't help but think that at least some neighboring countries are looking at China's use of military force as a means of settling legal disputes with sheer terror.

Last edited:
Yo if anyone can elaborate on how bullshit the NJ/NY Port Authority is that would be lovely. I'd love to understand why it costs $15 to cross a fucking bridge and why apparently AAA is suing them. Apparently they have a budget larger than 25 states or something in that neighborhood, which means they do a lot more than maintain rail, bridges, and the tunnels.

For comparison it costs me $3 to cross the Delaware Memorial and about $14 to go from New Jersey to DC. Delaware also charges $4 for going through on I-95, which is like 80 cents a mile. So I'd love to know why it costs so fucking much to go to NYC.

Cresselia~~

On a slightly lighter note, how does everyone feel about China's push towards naval dominance and territorial expansion in the East Chinese Sea? I know that as an American, my views are clouded by the fact that a gain for China is a loss for the United States Navy, but every time I see how prevalent China is on the list of global territorial disputes, I can't help but think that at least some neighboring countries are looking at China's use of military force as a means of settling legal disputes with sheer terror.
Well... from the comments I read from online Chinese news, a heck lot of Chinese people are obsessed of getting more land, from anything like the Senkaku Islands to remote places like Singapore.
I find it quite silly because obviously, they can't even rule their own existing territories properly.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
do you mean illegals or most immigrants (legals included)

People coming on boats is a pretty minor issue in the country next to

- People coming here on planes to "study" and essentially buying permanent residency.

- The massive abuse of the 457 Visa which is contributing to the above point about unemployment.
actually quoting these side by side because it seems Asek is complaining about illegals, but Trax right here is straight up saying even the legals are the problem.

Ignoring the obvious "xenophobic" implications attached (inevitably?) here, I'd really like both of you dive into this with more detail, simply because as an American I hear a lot about Australian supposed racism / xenophobia and how Australia in general is very...difficult for Asian (including Indians here) to live in.

People coming on boats are mostly asylum seekers with some illegal immigrants mixed in (asylum seekers are by definition not illegal immigrants). Small number and not really a problem for the most part.

actually quoting these side by side because it seems Asek is complaining about illegals, but Trax right here is straight up saying even the legals are the problem.
To be clear, I don't actually have an issue with any specific immigrants, but it's my view that in the long term Australia cannot sustain the level of population growth we currently have (especially in the two largest cities, Melbourne and Sydney) for number of logistical reasons.

Ignoring the obvious "xenophobic" implications attached (inevitably?) here, I'd really like both of you dive into this with more detail, simply because as an American I hear a lot about Australian supposed racism / xenophobia and how Australia in general is very...difficult for Asian (including Indians here) to live in.
Generally think the reality is somewhere between the media hype of "Australians are racist <insert slur here> bashers" and "no Australian is racist" -- truth is there are quite a few racists in Australia (as there is anywhere else, if it comes to that) but the reality is that pretty close to none of them are actively going out on a Friday night to beat up someone from another country.

This being said, I think the view most Australians had of Indians has gone downhill in recent years, firstly there was the (frankly ridiculous) response to some of the violent crime in 2009/2010 (comparing the Victoria Police to the KKK in an Indian newspaper for instance), and then the rape protests in India which brought to light how bad that situation is in India (something that will cause some Australian men -- especially young men -- to respond with hostility toward Indian men).

Asek

Banned deucer.

I'm talking about illegal boat immigrants

I come from an area of victoria (bottom south east of aus if you dont know) where the majority of the population are retired and there is very little minorities in the general area (in my school of 500 there are 2 indians and thats it, everyone else is white) and as such the area isn't very tolerant of minorities and they're pretty vocal about it. The country parts of australia are still very backwards in their opinions on minorites and as such trying to settle in to these rural areas would be very hard for an asian. The thing is most of the immigrants stick together and form 'pockets' where there is pretty much a pure population of that ethnic group. This causes a lot of isolation and as such very few of the minority groups tend to branch out and as such the still predominantly white population looks down upon them as I would say that there isnt much social interaction at all between all the different ethnicity's that are found around the state and as such a lot of tension has formed between all of the differant racial groups. As for the question of whether its hard to live here as an indian or an asian to live in australia, I would say it is difficult for any immigrant who brings all of their traditions over here to settle in an area where his culture isnt predominant as there is such a huge jump in culture from suburb to suburb and it will be hard to fit in when you bring a foreign way of life into that culture. If you settle in and get the feel for the area i would say its easy for anybody to settle in anywhere. Would definitely recommend the city/surrounding suburbs for any immigrant due to the fact that the people there are a lot more open minded.

Kind of related is the fact that any sexual attack or an assault performed by a minority receives a butt load more coverage than one performed by a white person and that probably fuels the fire a fair bit. This post probably won't make sense i made it at 3 AM :/

Cresselia~~

I don't think you can just label anyone opposing immigrants (especially illegal ones) as being xenophobic.
And I don't think the media or surveys or report could represent the whole picture. You can't really say much unless you have a significant amount of friends living in that country.
I personally know many people who study abroad in Australia, originally from Hong Kong, and most of them said that Australians were nice people.
I also personally know immigrants in Australia, originally from Hong Kong, and they didn't mention any racism happened to them or whatever.
I also know a white Australian lady whom is very nice to me, to the point she would buy plush toy and send it over to me, even though we had never met before.

So, although I can see a lot of Australians saying how racist Australians were, I think those racists are only a small portion of them.

Moreover, if someone's from Australia and you just assume he/ she would act according to what you've heard about Australians, I suppose it kind of looks like you are stereotyping?

As for the immigrants part, most people from whatever country would more or less harbor negative feelings towards illegal immigrants.
Mostly, people become illegal immigrants to see if they can have a better life in a new country, implying that firstly, they were not doing well in their own, and secondly, they might not fulfill the criteria of being a legal immigrant. (short of skill/ wealth, etc)
If you talk about illegal immigrants, they usually are scums and obviously, being illegal immigrant is cheating in the first place.
A proper immigrant though, may still not be an elite-- there could be many ways of somehow getting citizenship without meeting criteria.
One of them is to give birth of a son or daughter in a foreign place, and the son/ daughter, in most countries, will receive citizenship from place of birth.
Most people who do this are not the people who are with skills.

On the other hand, elite immigration/ naturalization of citizenship is something I personally would welcome.

I would say it is difficult for any immigrant who brings all of their traditions over here to settle in an area where his culture isnt predominant as there is such a huge jump in culture from suburb to suburb and it will be hard to fit in when you bring a foreign way of life into that culture.
Well, to be honest, I think that if someone is in a foreign country, they should be following what the other residents are doing instead of the whole "have it my way" attitude-- it's someone else's territory! And, as an immigrant, you chose it over your own country. No point in the whole "this is what I do in my own country" attitude at all.
You can do it inside your house, but not in public.
All immigrants should try to blend in more with the local people, it's their land!

When I lived in Great Britain, I speak mostly English when I was on the streets. Even my mum who knew little English tried to speak English to me, because it's to respect the territory.
And we try to follow what other people do.
Not because we don't like our own culture or what-- we do it inside our house. But when we are outside, we think it's more polite to do things their way.

Last edited:
Look up Bosnia and Herzegovina if you want some political entertainment. My shithole home country has less than 5 million residents, and has THREE, let me repeat that, THREE presidents. One for each of the group of people that were trying to kill each other less than 20 years ago. There's a president for the Bosnian Muslims, Serbs, and one for the Croats. Jee thanks Dayton Agreement. Way to lodge the dildo right back up.

The place is only getting worse and stabilization is going the other way. The Serb president wants to secede. Wonder what the next 20 years holds for us. More civil war and genocide perhaps.

Also we have Russian levels of corruption, mafias, drug cartels, civil unrest, and absolutely no money.

Bosnia is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL place. Old time Europe. The girls are gorgeous. No fat chicks to speak of lol. It saddens me to say but I'm glad my family left in '99. The only use for it now is to go vacation and see family.

Cresselia~~

Look up Bosnia and Herzegovina if you want some political entertainment. My shithole home country has less than 5 million residents, and has THREE, let me repeat that, THREE presidents. One for each of the group of people that were trying to kill each other less than 20 years ago. There's a president for the Bosnian Muslims, Serbs, and one for the Croats. Jee thanks Dayton Agreement. Way to lodge the dildo right back up.

The place is only getting worse and stabilization is going the other way. The Serb president wants to secede. Wonder what the next 20 years holds for us. More civil war and genocide perhaps.

Also we have Russian levels of corruption, mafias, drug cartels, civil unrest, and absolutely no money.

Bosnia is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL place. Old time Europe. The girls are gorgeous. No fat chicks to speak of lol. It saddens me to say but I'm glad my family left in '99. The only use for it now is to go vacation and see family.
I know it's sad to leave homeland, though sometimes people are forced.
A lot of people in Hong Kong have left, and lots more are planning to leave.

We originally had somewhat 6 million people (more than Bosnia and Herzegovina!) , and we were fed lies about how we aren't able to survive with so few people.
Now we know that lots of countries have fewer population than us, and we just were stupid enough to believe what's fed to us.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
---e) We are forced to buy (dirty and polluted) drinking water from China.
Our water costs 266 times more than what Singapore pays Malaysia for water.
We have no other source of water.
The government lies to us every single day that desalination of drinking water is expensive, etc.
However, according to Singapore, it isn't. In fact, much cheaper.
There are many people who showed us photos of dead animals, algal bloom of the river where the source of our water is from.
Chinese people on the internet like to tell us "Without China, Hong Kong doesn't even have drinking water."
I'm from Singapore and never knew about this lol. Whether it's cheaper or more expensive idk. Anyway why hasn't Hong Kong invested in other water sources if that's the case ?_? SG has water catchment, recycled water and desalination for additional water supplies though majority of water still comes from msia.

Changing to sg here. Not exactly a political problem but I worry for the future gens since there seems to be a rising trend in anti PAP sentiments. (PAP is the current ruling part btw) I feel that a good portion of such trends come from uninformed choices and more SG people start disliking SG for not very substantive reasons. Kind of like bandwagoning in my opinion. If the ruling party switches, I'm not very confident that the opposition party(s) can do better or on par.

While I do think that people should follow the laws of their new country, certainly, I do think that there is room for reasonable accommodation. For example, I don't think it harms anyone if a Jewish woman wears a Star of David around her neck, or that a Sikh would like to wear his turban. In fact, a few years ago there was some debate over whether a man could wear it in uniform for his job as an RCMP {Royal Canadian Mounted Police, alternatively "Mounties"} officer, it was ruled acceptable due to the turban being a very small change to the standard uniform and not really negatively affecting the identification of an officer nor inhibiting his physical abilit to do his job. I do understand how anal retentive military leaders can be, though, having spent a lot of time at the base and hearing a lot of stories due to both of my parents being soldiers in the past.

I also don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to speak your language in public - personally, I like hearing it, and it makes me happy to hear languages like Russian, Chinese, and Arabic, even in a predominantly anglo/franco country like mine. While I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be accommodated in a business setting [only the two official languages are guaranteed this with the exception of dealings in the court of law, in which case an interpreter in their appropriate language will be found to the best of their ability should they be unable to readily speak one of the above], and as such I do think that they shouldn't expect people to bow to their every wish and desire, but use of a language in a social and casual setting is most certainly acceptable. Even if you're laughing at how the guy in front of you on the bus is 4'6 and smells like shit - tbh, this is half the reason I even want to learn other languages. Just be aware of the possible consequences if he ends up actually understanding what you're saying. Ouch. I have a funny story about that with my friend, but it's off-topic.

I also don't agree with homogenization in a new culture being necessary or even ideal. While I very much dislike the formation of ghettoes [if you're not familiar with the term, basically low-budget housing in areas that new immigrants move into because that's all they can afford - they're rarely kept up due to the lack of maintenance and attention they are given due to the combination of "lack of demand" {more like lack of money in the area} and the stereotypes that these areas are given, which gives rise to gang culture, drug abuse, violence, etc, which just makes the stereotypes, poverty, and fear worse], it's very possible to lower their severity by actually paying attention to and giving a shit about the people in such situations, as well as interspersing low-budget housing throughout a city instead of in one pocket of it so this culture doesn't collect in one area. Immigrants are obviously not all poor, jobless deadbeats, though. Many end up being productive members of society, and some make businesses like restaurants, food stores, convenience stores, and others, which not only make them and others like them feel "more at home," but also introduce more diversity and culture into a place in which they live. When I go to school, I walk past many stores selling Falafel and other things I otherwise never would've heard of, and I see store signs that are in Vietnamese, Arabic, Chinese, and probably others that I can't identify, as well as English, and while I've never actually gone into them save one time, in this one Chinese Supermarket across the street. It was so weird, they had strange music playing in the background, they had durians, odd purple fruit, and apples that were half size of my head. I was also the tallest person there, despite being about 1.6 metres/5'4 tall at the time. That said, it was still really interesting and I don't regret popping in there at all. Maybe I'm not like other people, but I love the diversity and culture that immigrants bring to the table if they don't have to shove their pasts in the closet when faced with the public eye. It makes everyday life so much more interesting and varied, and what's living without a little excitement?

tl;dr - I agree that they should keep to the law [eg no honour killings, women are not your property, etc], but being able to express yourself is no crime and you shouldn't have to hide who you are just because you're different if you're not hurting anyone in doing so. Maybe that's too idealist of me, though.

Asek

Banned deucer.
I also don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to speak your language in public - personally, I like hearing it, and it makes me happy to hear languages like Russian, Chinese, and Arabic, even in a predominantly anglo/franco country like mine. While I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be accommodated in a business setting [only the two official languages are guaranteed this with the exception of dealings in the court of law, in which case an interpreter in their appropriate language will be found to the best of their ability should they be unable to readily speak one of the above], and as such I do think that they shouldn't expect people to bow to their every wish and desire, but use of a language in a social and casual setting is most certainly acceptable. Even if you're laughing at how the guy in front of you on the bus is 4'6 and smells like shit - tbh, this is half the reason I even want to learn other languages. Just be aware of the possible consequences if he ends up actually understanding what you're saying. Ouch. I have a funny story about that with my friend, but it's off-topic.

I might sound racist and ignorant for saying this, but i wish it was compulsory for a permanent migrant to have at least a moderate understanding of the native language of the country they are moving into. I personally find it very rude when I go to social events on my dads side of the family and they all start speaking Serbian simply because they can't be bothered with english and the large majority of the older people there never bothered learning it in the first place. Heck, my dad was born in australia but could never speak english until he got to school because the only language spoken at home was serbian. The largest group that seems to have the problem of knowing none to very little English is oddly european migrants though and there really isnt that many of them anymore so its not too big of a deal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)