Gen 6 General XY Ubers Metagame Discussion

sticky web is pretty good. Scarf Genesect is able to revenge kill Geomancy Xerneas with it. Powerful attackers like Mewtwo or Deo-A have a field day against scarfers (because they outspeed). Pretty cool move

sticky web is pretty good. Scarf Genesect is able to revenge kill Geomancy Xerneas with it. Powerful attackers like Mewtwo or Deo-A have a field day against scarfers (because they outspeed). Pretty cool move
While Sticky Web is really great, it is not well distributed. Using Galvantula or Smeargle is not a great idea, specially when Defog is starting to be more and more used and Magic Coat is also useable on some Pokemons, such as Latios.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
While Sticky Web is really great, it is not well distributed. Using Galvantula or Smeargle is not a great idea, specially when Defog is starting to be more and more used and Magic Coat is also useable on some Pokemons, such as Latios.
Smeargle is the only usable Sticky Web-er in Ubers thanks to it's massive movepool. Smeargle + 5 Taunters is pretty viable, Donkey made a solid team with it some time ago.

Yeah. You can probably limit speed in betters way than relying on sticky web smergale. Maybe something random like thundurus will get it. lol @ prankster

So with the Critical Hit changes in X and Y, I think I found a set up that may or may not be somewhat abusable, and I'm wondering how it might fare.
Mechanical Note: Focus Energy gives +2 Crit Stages, and Razor Claw/Scope Lens give +1 Crit Stage. In X and Y, at +3 Crit Stages, you land Crits 100% of the time. (Just in case this was a question)

The Set Up
Blaziken @ Razor Claw
Speed Boost
- Focus Energy
- Baton Pass
- Over Heat
- Sub / Superpower

After set up, utilize the 100% crits to spam Overheat at no worry (Crits ignore personal stat drops), and then Baton Pass the Focus Energy buff to:

Deoxys (Attack Form) @ Scope Lens
- Psyco Boost
- Super Power
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off )

With 100% Crit chance, Psyco Boost becomes crazy STAB Damage. Super Power is your go-to for Dark Types (Though it lowers your defence, but who cares... you're a glass cannon anyways). Extreme Speed helps vs. Priority, and with the Crit damage, might win it for your. Knock Off is for utiilty in case of walls that NEED items, good last ditch item if you know you're gonna die, and coverage for Sable Eye/Spiritomb (just in case).

Overall, passing anything but the FE and Speed is pointless, as the two crazy powerful moves you're going to use lower those buffs anyways. You don't have to worry about LO damage w/ this set up, but the trade off is that it requires actual set up. However, Blaziken can take advantage of the set up just as well (with nothing immune to Fire but Flash Fire), and Superpower to deal w/ Heatran. Clearly, you CAN put more mons on the team to help balance this strategy out as well.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So with the Critical Hit changes in X and Y, I think I found a set up that may or may not be somewhat abusable, and I'm wondering how it might fare.
Mechanical Note: Focus Energy gives +2 Crit Stages, and Razor Claw/Scope Lens give +1 Crit Stage. In X and Y, at +3 Crit Stages, you land Crits 100% of the time. (Just in case this was a question)

The Set Up
Blaziken @ Razor Claw
Speed Boost
- Focus Energy
- Baton Pass
- Over Heat
- Sub / Superpower

After set up, utilize the 100% crits to spam Overheat at no worry (Crits ignore personal stat drops), and then Baton Pass the Focus Energy buff to:

- Psyco Boost
- Super Power
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off )

With 100% Crit chance, Psyco Boost becomes crazy STAB Damage. Super Power is your go-to for Dark Types (Though it lowers your defence, but who cares... you're a glass cannon anyways). Extreme Speed helps vs. Priority, and with the Crit damage, might win it for your. Knock Off is for utiilty in case of walls that NEED items, good last ditch item if you know you're gonna die, and coverage for Sable Eye/Spiritomb (just in case).

Overall, passing anything but the FE and Speed is pointless, as the two crazy powerful moves you're going to use lower those buffs anyways. You don't have to worry about LO damage w/ this set up, but the trade off is that it requires actual set up. However, Blaziken can take advantage of the set up just as well (with nothing immune to Fire but Flash Fire), and Superpower to deal w/ Heatran. Clearly, you CAN put more mons on the team to help balance this strategy out as well.
A terrible idea, to put it bluntly. You butchered blazes offensive capability by running both scope lens + focus energy (will post calcs in a few) and for what? To use a deo-a that dies to common priority? Definitely not worth it. Running standard has far more uses.

Manaphy

Scope Lens and Focus Energy just isn't worth it. You could be using Swords Dance which saves your item slot for Blazikenite or Life Orb (you get about an 80% power loss). I'll give you credit for thinking outside the box though.

The Set Up
Blaziken @ Razor Claw
Speed Boost
- Focus Energy
- Baton Pass
- Over Heat
- Sub / Superpower

- Psyco Boost
- Super Power
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off )

I really REALLY hope you're being sarcastic about all this.

Has anyone brought up shaymin sky yet? I've been using it and it's really good right now. It is a huge threat to lots of support arceus forms (rock, grass, water) that have been increasing in popularity, and the defog buff makes it's rocks weakness a bit less important. It also wrecks groudon, and sun in general, pretty badly. Here's the set I'm using:

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Max Speed/ Special attack
Timid
Sub
Seed Flare
Air Slash
HP rock

I had leech seed>HP rock for a while but barely ever used it, so I changed to HP rock which I have found more useful. It does a bunch of damage to the incredibly popular ho-oh, allowing it to do even better vs sun.

Skymin is nice vs support arceus, yeah. But, it's too weak for pretty much everything else. Rock HP fails to 1hko Ho-Oh, which otherwise KO you with sacred fire then switch out/roost for recovery. And, please note that this is assuming that Ho-oh has NO bulk at all lol. I suppose that it could perform as a decent wall breaker, but it loses badly vs Heatran, YGod, Mewtwo's, and pretty much any priority.

I guess, it's a decent sweeper once you remove key threats and priority.

252+ SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ho-Oh: 244-291 (69.1 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SubSeed is the way to go for Shaymin-S this gen IMO. It's still a complete jerk to teams lacking stuff like Scizor or bulky phazers. Scarf is still good since its fast + immune to Sticky Web + can anti-lead vs Deo-S + revenges M2X pretty easily.

I think that Arceus-Electric is quite underrated in the current metagame. In the rain it is about as viable as Arceus Rock as a Ho-oh check (although it can't OHKO as Rockeus often can), and the lack of Ferrothorn and Chansey/Blissey in the metagame has made +1 BoltBeam pretty difficult to handle for many teams. Furthermore it can check Zekrom and Yveltal (two mons that can sometimes be forgotten when teambuilding) and eat Thunders and Thunder Waves without risk of paralysis. Resisting Iron Head, Gyro Ball, and Bullet Punch has been clutch a few times as well when certain Steel-types have gotten out of hand. Wow, Defog, Flamethrower and CM are all very viable (depending on your team needs) in the final slot, which along with the surprise factor make it very unpredictable for opponents. I realize that rain support is not always reliable this gen, but the possibility of not resisting Sacred Fire without rain seems to be a small tradeoff for having fewer weaknesses and being generally more threatening than Arceus-Rock, who has become something of a staple Arceus form recently.

I think that Arceus-Electric is quite underrated in the current metagame. In the rain it is about as viable as Arceus Rock as a Ho-oh check (although it can't OHKO as Rockeus often can), and the lack of Ferrothorn and Chansey/Blissey in the metagame has made +1 BoltBeam pretty difficult to handle for many teams. Furthermore it can check Zekrom and Yveltal (two mons that can sometimes be forgotten when teambuilding) and eat Thunders and Thunder Waves without risk of paralysis. Resisting Iron Head, Gyro Ball, and Bullet Punch has been clutch a few times as well when certain Steel-types have gotten out of hand. Wow, Defog, Flamethrower and CM are all very viable (depending on your team needs) in the final slot, which along with the surprise factor make it very unpredictable for opponents. I realize that rain support is not always reliable this gen, but the possibility of not resisting Sacred Fire without rain seems to be a small tradeoff for having fewer weaknesses and being generally more threatening than Arceus-Rock, who has become something of a staple Arceus form recently.
Yeah arc elec has to be one of the better arc forms this gen. That boltbeam combo is a great cleaner or a team softener with cm. rain support isn't need that much though, I've made a team that seems like it has a Ho-Oh weakness with polop, but some underrated sets like physically defensive Ho-Oh combined with with arc elec help it bigtime.

I totally agree with you. I have used him a lot and have destroyed teams that are not prepared for it. Lots of teams with core such as Ho-oh+Support Arceus (Rock or Water usually)+ Giratina+ Groudon+ Palkia+ Kyogre+ Yvetal will get destroyed very easily. A lot of opponent I faced only have Groudon as a switch in and I only need to predict once and hit it with Ice beam, after Groudon falls team with the core as about will get swept by CM Electric Ceus as long as you played correctly.

Edit: It is worth noting that Judgement is better than Thunderbolt and Thunder in most situations now unlike previous generations due to the later two move being nerf and rain not being permanent. Also, it is a good idea sometimes to switch into a Wil-O-wisp so that it can't be toxiced and limiting its sweep, as long as you run recover.

The set I used:
Electriceus 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
-Judgement
-Ice beam
-Calm Mind
-Recover

Last edited:

Manaphy

I totally agree with you. I have used him a lot and have destroyed teams that are not prepared for it. Lots of teams with core such as Ho-oh+Support Arceus (Rock or Water usually)+ Giratina+ Groudon+ Palkia+ Kyogre+ Yvetal will get destroyed very easily. A lot of opponent I faced only have Groudon as a switch in and I only need to predict once and hit it with Ice beam, after Groudon falls team with the core as about will get swept by CM Electric Ceus as long as you played correctly.

Edit: It is worth noting that Judgement is better than Thunderbolt and Thunder in most situations now unlike previous generations due to the later two move being nerf and rain not being permanent. Also, it is a good idea sometimes to switch into a Wil-O-wisp so that it can't be toxiced and limiting its sweep, as long as you run recover.

The set I used:
Electriceus 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
-Judgement
-Ice beam
-Calm Mind
-Recover
Thunderbolt would still be better IMO since I really see no situation where the extra power would help.

Thunderbolt would still be better IMO since I really see no situation where the extra power would help.
There's more to pokemon than OKHOs and 2HKOs. Maybe that extra 11% damage increase is enough to knock their Kyogre down just to 12.4% where it can no longer sacrificially switch in to your specs Latios's Draco Meteor and cause the SpA drop, letting you spam it freely later.

OKHOs matter! But there is no arbitrary level of power that all of a sudden adding more stops being useful. Especially now that the hyper offense trend of last generation is shifting to a more bulky-offensive metagame, sometimes wearing down certain threats is better than relying on one or two shot counters, and that is where every damage point helps.

So definitely new to Ubers.. Would love to get into it. Where should I begin?

This post is in the wrong thread but I'm not going to delete it because the responses are good for other new players wondering the same thing and I can't move posts to other threads. ~MM2

Last edited by a moderator:
Um well a great start imo is to read the threads here, mainly teambuilding philosophy and simple questions simple answers. These 2 threads will be immensely helpful for you. So for the teambuilding philosophy, people share there how they build teams, the most popular so far has been, Orch's, SilverShadow's and mine. These will set the basis for your learning process on how to play ubers efficiently. Nothing much else to say about it other than, share your cores or philosophy once you get better and understand how ubers works, and I'm sure either people will give you further advice, or just show that they enjoy it. IRC is also another way to get advice, as many of the best players hang on there, and they mostly have no issues with helping people. For simple questions simple answers, players ask questions there for direct and precise answers, and many things are already covered there, but if you still have questions after you read the thread, just ask one yourself. Most importantly, build teams, no matter how bad they turn out at first, you'll improve and make your former crap teams better. Anyway, gl in ubers and I hope to see you around.
Edit: Ninja'd by hack while I was editing lol, and listen to this guy he's knows his shit.

Last edited:
How do you guys think about Arceus-Fire? I have used it on my hyper offensive team and it actually did better than I thought. It fits in my team as it is one of the few offensive check for GeoXeneras and it can also handel Ho-oh. Both pokemon are very difficult to check, especially on offensive team. It is certainly not incredible as there is always the Arceus opportunity cost, but still worth a try.

Manaphy

sammao said:
It fits in my team as it is one of the few offensive check for GeoXeneras and it can also handel Ho-oh.
But Arceus-Fire doesn't do any of those things?

But Arceus-Fire doesn't do any of those things?
I used the following set:

252hp/252Spd
-Judgement
-stone edge
-recover
-calm mind

It definitely can check both Xeneras and Ho-oh, as it resist both Moonblast and Sacred Fire. Burn immune helps a lot too.

Why not run
252hp/252spd/4def
-Judgement
-Toxic
-Recover
-Roar
so you can actually check Xerneas? You can't check it if you can't phaze or damage it after a Geomancy.

Why not run
252hp/252spd/4def
-Judgement
-Toxic
-Recover
-Roar
so you can actually check Xerneas? You can't check it if you can't phaze or damage it after a Geomancy.

Fire arceus just set up calm mind on it. Moreover, my set fit easier on offensive team which is difficult to find check for Xerneas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)