Gen 6 General XY Ubers Metagame Discussion

All of the discussion above about ray was pretty much pointless. You really should not run ray on a stall team lol. It's good on offensive team where you need one-time water spout sponge with strong priority and stallbreaking capability. It's not outclassed or anything like that. It's just that there's much less need for Ray's niche in the current meta. Especially since, there's a trend for offensive teams right now, which makes Ray kinda lame. However IMO, the best set is DD ray atm. Since, the speed benchmark is is rather high, and Ray just hates missing the chance of outspeeding supportarc and whatnot. With DD, it's able to punch holes on faster bulky mons and deal with offensive threats better. DDray is more viable due to the lack of scarfers above 90's (yvel/xern/gene are uncommon scarfers).

IMO, ray is fine where it is at.
Oh thank god I'm not the only one who thinks DD Ray is still decent. A lot of people lol at the thought of it which I don't understand. Someone said DD Ray died to Fairies. I'm pretty sure a +1 a V create will kill standard Xerneas. I need to calc though. Edit: +1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 486-573 (123.3 - 145.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 486-573 (106.5 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Oh thank god I'm not the only one who thinks DD Ray is still decent. A lot of people lol at the thought of it which I don't understand. Someone said DD Ray died to Fairies. I'm pretty sure a +1 a V create will kill standard Xerneas. I need to calc though. Edit: +1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 486-573 (123.3 - 145.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 486-573 (106.5 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Well it's good to know that Ray can be used, but it's still losing it's niche and dropping in usage over the more metagame breakers like Palkia and Zekky. And this is what got me wondering about whether the majority of teams will have their own threats and counterthreats resulting in constantly standard teams.

Now, time to make a new team with DD Ray.

Rayquaza isn't a bad Pokemon. It's just ou stclassed this gen. It has awesome offensive stats, V create, and Extremespeed. My only problem with it is that it's secondary STAB sucks and it's 4x weak to Ice as opposed to 2x or neutral like Zekrom, Palkia, and Dialga. I feel mixed Rayquaza is probably the best set it has this gen. SD is ok too. DD isn't what it used to be.
I feel like Ray's 4x weakness to ice doesn't matter this gen, I've seen more fairy moves than I've seen Ice, which makes it irrelevant imo. And I bet you wouldn't be saying the same thing if Ray got something like Brave Bird or Acrobatics even. If it got any strong flying type move Lol....... And idk, arguing about the "best" ray set is pointless as any set has the potential to break walls. It depends on your team really. Lead is a clusterfuck to deal with, same with SD, Same with DD, lol. Even Xerneas has a hard time switching into it.

I agree with Edgar, Ray is pretty hard to deal with if you have no idea what set you're facing unless you're pretty keen on team comp. Pretty much 4 Pokemon can deal with Ray regardless: Water+Rockceus, Lugia, Heatran. However, Heatran can be 2HKO'd by a +2 Dragon Claw and gets demolished by EQ, and Lugia can only handle Ray if SR is absent. So basically only 2 Arceus formes can deal with any Ray set. Jaysus. I seriously cannot stress how underrated Ray is atm, it can disrupt a lot of teams even with its ok Speed in the fact that almost nothing can switch into it. LeadQuaza lels at dedicated leads, SD smashes any wall out there beside Lugia, Water+Rockceus, and DD Ray is extremely scary after a single boost. I kinda feel since the meta isn't too kind to Ray, I use it as a offensive wallbreaker more than a dedicated sweeper unless DD (MixQuaza and SD Ray are sweeper support), and it can really screw up a good amount of teams.

ALSO, FOR ALL TEH PEOPLES THAT SAY "LEL DD RAY GETS WREKT BY THE FAIRIES U STUPID FOR USING IT", please look at these 2 calcs:

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 108 HP / 28 Def Xerneas: 430-507 (102.3 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Arceus-Fairy: 317-374 (71.3 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The two most used Fairy-types in the tier cannot switch into Ray at all when Ray is boosted. Even if Arc-Fairy switches in on the V-create and survives, it dies to ESpeed right after.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm still getting used to Ubers this gen, but I still like using Rayquaza on the rather niche Wobboffense teams. That Earthquake immunity is very useful for Encores! Also, gonna have to agree with Orch on Dragon Dance Rayquaza, the fall of stuff like Scarf Palkia has been very handy for DD Rayquaza. I still want to give SD and Mixed more of a try later though...

Hm we should probably use SD Ray on a Sticky Web Team. BTW Hail is kinda hipster but pretty funny to use these days since many people run Specs Ogre and Hail+Toxic+Leech Seed+Hazards can do p much damage like sand.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hm we should probably use SD Ray on a Sticky Web Team. BTW Hail is kinda hipster but pretty funny to use these days since many people run Specs Ogre and Hail+Toxic+Leech Seed+Hazards can do p much damage like sand.
Ray doesn't really need web support tbh since its biggest bane (scarf gene) is nonexistent now, and most base 90 scarfers run a +atk/spa nature as opposed to +speed. So after a DD you should be outspeeding the whole meta anyhow, though what annoys ray more is priority which is hard for ray to deal with.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well I thaught about the Support Arceus Forms like the Fairy type. With Sticky Web you can easily outspeed them and 0ko them with VG
Almost positive LO 252+ atk ray does not ohko bulky supportceus forms not weak to it without a boost. Ray shouldn't be staying in on most arceus forms anyways and instead should find a proper setup opprotunity to get a dd/sd up and then wreck shit. It still excels as one of the best wall breakers in the meta. Thank god it isn't a bird

Almost positive LO 252+ atk ray does not ohko bulky supportceus forms not weak to it without a boost. Ray shouldn't be staying in on most arceus forms anyways and instead should find a proper setup opprotunity to get a dd/sd up and then wreck shit. It still excels as one of the best wall breakers in the meta. Thank god it isn't a bird
Without a boost Ray fails to KO.
252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Fairy: 265-313 (59.6 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Outrage vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Water: 265-313 (59.8 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

96% (roughly) to 2HKO if Arceus runs HP + Def.

Band damage bumps to 80% or so.

Just use SD
The problem that presents itself when using SD Ray is that you have to boost AND hit the support Arc forme on the switch, preventing Ray from being able to beat them without rly rly good prediction. Those Arc formes are pretty much the only thing that can deal with Ray atm after a boost. I like Keys as a teammate, Toxic's those stupid Arc formes with their Defog shenanigans or TWave to let Ray outspeed faster threats for some reason. Also Spikes are godly with Ray, its funny just KOing a Donner after a single boost after SR when EKiller can only do that at liek +6 with Adamant LO lel

+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 399-472 (98.7 - 116.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
It's just a real knee-slapper, you know?

Use Sticky Web. You might be faster. ^
The problem is that Ray's job is not to sweep, but to support its team with wallbreaking powers. Having the gargantuan team filler that is Sticky Web support really isn't worth being able to defeat 3 support Arc formes imo when Klefki pairs better with Ray imo and does almost the exact same thing but with more utility. There is a lot of stuff you need in order for Sticky Web to be successful, while Klefki pairs well with Ray's typing, can let it break past Donner guaranteed with ONE LAYER OF SPIKES. That's all it takes:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 354-416 (87.6 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

The idea is for Keys to help SD Ray by softening up harder walls to break through or cripple them instead, allowing Ray to break through them later. Imo, Klefki > Sticky Web overall for SD Ray teams.

We can battle tomorrow and I show you that ur calcs are so bs cuz ur theorymoning and a real battle is sometimes/often different and I wouldn't pair it with the Keys. Wobbu is better

We can battle tomorrow and I show you that ur calcs are so bs cuz ur theorymoning and a real battle is sometimes/often different and I wouldn't pair it with the Keys. Wobbu is better
Well the point is that SD Ray is a wallbreaker first, and I was showing what Ray could do to probably one of the best physical walls Ubers had to offer. The idea of SD Ray is that it doesn't have a real cleaning move to utilize (Seriously dont use Outrage on SD Ray), but has that nuclear V-create to destroy almost any wall in the tier. However, due to V-create's drawbacks, Rayquaza cannot use its most powerful tool to sweep. So, the next best thing is to have it break walls in order to pave the way for other sweepers. SD Ray is just another offensive support mon for sweepers to work with, not the sweeper itself. I'm not saying that Klefki is required, but it is a good partner to help Ray break walls easier. Klefki in general is a really awesome utility mon in general, and it and Ray's support combined can put a lot of pressure on Defoggers and walls, in addition to making the way clear for sweeps like a GeoXern sweep, or primarily sweepers that dislike Steel-types. SD Ray isn't and should never be the centerpiece of a team, just a wallbreaker that assists a sweeper. Having a crapton of support like Sticky Web for a support member isn't that great of an idea imo instead of support for a sweeper. This situation also applies for MixQuaza, whose role is a lure.

On the other hand, DD Ray really does like Wobb, as Ray now IS the sweeper unlike SD Ray and MixQuaza. Wobbuffet allows Ray a possible setup opportunity, and can remove support Arc formes easier than Ray can with a +1 V-create. Also, Wobb can scout out possible Scarfers that could revenge kill DD Ray mid-sweep, in addition to Fairy-types. DD Ray does have a sweeping tool in Outrage, and with the adapted meta, it can also function outside of it with V-create and ESpeed, at the cost of only being able to use Outrage to clean. Wobbuffet in general partners well with sweepers, and even though Ray needs a setup turn, it shouldn't be supporting SD Ray because it simply can't clean unless the team is extremely weakened, unlike DD Ray who can clean relatively easily due to Outrage.

Imo, most calcs are theorymonning. There are chances that something can't get a boost, therefore making a calc invalid. Maybe you didn't pressure the Defogger enough, it removes the single layer of Spikes and kills your hazard setter. I'm just showing what Ray can do when specific conditions are met, which it can defeat Groudon after just 1 SD and 1 layer of Spikes, in which EKiller can't do that. Hell, maybe SD Ray is assisting EKiller in defeating the Groudon so EKiller can sweep. Getting up a layer with Spikes with Keys isn't that hard, and its typing works well with Ray, can deter Xerneas, and has awesome support moves to further assist its team. Since both have a common goal and the two of them can scare away threats that the other can't handle (Keys scares away Fairies and Defog Arc, Ray scares away Steel-types), and just bc a battle can turn up differently doesn't mean you should pair a wallbreaker with something that supports sweepers.

Also you forget that my horrible battling skills prevent me from actually proving a point.

Also you forget that my horrible battling skills prevent me from actually proving a point.
Well I am asking myself why you post than. Well we know what Ray Can and should do so why you explain it? It is meant to break some holes Everybody Knows that. With SD it Works more easily. I know what you are saying but bring different arguments imo but Anyway. I m Building a Ray Team later, no offense Btw :) (in Case You think that.) Just try to catch me in uberschannel and we Talk about that

To be honest, Although I haven't been playing that often, the threat of geomancy+power herb Xerneas has really took a toll against my team. However, I bypasses the presence of geomancy+power herb Xerneas by predicting a switch and sending out Arceus. Now, one might wonder why I would send out Arceus to count Xerneas, but that is exactly the point. My opponent will be expecting a setup swords dance or nasty plot from my side and will choose to use geomancy. However, My Arceus will not do that on the first attack. It will use roar, switching out Xerneas, and essentially wasting it's only item, and in the moment of confusion, Arceus will proceed to use either swords dance or nasty plot, whichever the user prefers. I specifically chose Arceus for my Xerneas+power herb counter because of the lack of solid pokemon that can resist a fairy type. The presence of most dragon type pokemon in ubers is threatened by xerneas, and a normal-type arceus with solid 120's in all defenses and HP can easily take a hit from the pokemon that switches in after Xerneas, and Arceus is a better counter than most ubers because it does not run the risk of just getting hit by a super effective moonblast. Unless of course, you choose to use dragon-arceus, which in this case, would not work at all.

To be honest, Although I haven't been playing that often, the threat of geomancy+power herb Xerneas has really took a toll against my team. However, I bypasses the presence of geomancy+power herb Xerneas by predicting a switch and sending out Arceus. Now, one might wonder why I would send out Arceus to count Xerneas, but that is exactly the point. My opponent will be expecting a setup swords dance or nasty plot from my side and will choose to use geomancy. However, My Arceus will not do that on the first attack. It will use roar, switching out Xerneas, and essentially wasting it's only item, and in the moment of confusion, Arceus will proceed to use either swords dance or nasty plot, whichever the user prefers. I specifically chose Arceus for my Xerneas+power herb counter because of the lack of solid pokemon that can resist a fairy type. The presence of most dragon type pokemon in ubers is threatened by xerneas, and a normal-type arceus with solid 120's in all defenses and HP can easily take a hit from the pokemon that switches in after Xerneas, and Arceus is a better counter than most ubers because it does not run the risk of just getting hit by a super effective moonblast. Unless of course, you choose to use dragon-arceus, which in this case, would not work at all.
Actually, I don't think Xerneas would even risk having a matchup against Arceus. Even the frailest Ekiller is able to take one boosted Moonblast, while Extremespeed goes first and 2HKO's. So to be honest, Arceus isn't really that great of a counter. You might as well stick to Scizor or Lugia if you're having severe troubles.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
4 hp arceus can't take +2 moonblast
This is not relevant, as the point of discussion was when Extremekiller Arceus is double switched into Xerneas, in which case neither has set up yet. That said, the original poster also suggested an Extremekiller with Roar and believes Arceus can learn Nasty Plot, so perhaps the best course of action would be not to engage the arguments at all and instead contemplate if C.H.A.D. Bot is out to enslave the human race or something.

This is not relevant, as the point of discussion was when Extremekiller Arceus is double switched into Xerneas, in which case neither has set up yet. That said, the original poster also suggested an Extremekiller with Roar and believes Arceus can learn Nasty Plot, so perhaps the best course of action would be not to engage the arguments at all and instead contemplate if C.H.A.D. Bot is out to enslave the human race or something.
Dangit Skynet >:[

Also, as for Ekiller vs Geoxern :S Honestly, it depends on if Geoxern 2HKOs Arceus at +2, and whether arceus can do the same.

Dangit Skynet >:[

Also, as for Ekiller vs Geoxern :S Honestly, it depends on if Geoxern 2HKOs Arceus at +2, and whether arceus can do the same.
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arceus: 390-460 (87.8 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 339-400 (86 - 101.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Damn Rocks.

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arceus: 390-460 (87.8 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 339-400 (86 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

So EKiller almost definitely needs those Rocks up, while Xern can get not really get away with it. Damn why are Rocks so important ;-;.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)