Other Don't use that, use this [XY OU Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all fine but, why mental herb? Deoxys can't be infatuated anyway and even if it could, it's so uncommon, it's kind of useless. I would recomond leftovers/redcard as these are it's two best items. Never mind it cures taunt as well
Just being technical, Deoxys CAN be infatuated. Mew and Cryogonal can learn Attract, which works on other Genderless Pokemon when they use it.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Don't use this:

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Baton Pass / Yawn
- Psychic / Psyshock

Why it's bad: Espeon can be a useful Pokemon in the right situations, but its extremely lacking defensive stats and low appeal outside of Magic Bounce don't do it any favors. Its move options are extremely limited, as Espeon frequently doesn't have enough time or presence to effectively pull off Cleric or Wishpassing roles in addition to its Dual Screens duties. More often than not, Espeon ends up being a free switch to one of the many Pokemon that threaten it or that can set up on it, and overall its reliability and Speed is subpar for any team that depends on the presence of Dual Screens to execute a sweep.

Instead, use this:

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock / Magic Coat

Why it's better: Deoxys-S brings with it an unmatchable Speed stat, respectable defenses (particularly under Dual Screens), and the ability to do just about everything Espeon does, only better. Taunt and Magic Coat can both emulate the effects of Magic Bounce, and Taunt has the added bonus of stopping any sort of setup whatsoever, whereas Espeon frequently finds itself at the mercy of boosting threats. Thanks to Deoxys-S's amazing 180 Speed stat, Deoxys-S easily sets up screens before it can be attacked, vastly reducing the amount of damage it takes. Lastly, Taunt and Stealth Rock allow it to be an extremely effective lead, and Deoxys-S can go a long way to make sure that the opponent never starts off the battle with the upper hand.

Conclusion:

Although Magic Bounce allows Espeon to absorb and reflect certain non-attacking moves, its sharply decreased utility and support presence make it a subpar choice for the vast majority of teams. On the other hand, Deoxys-S possesses the tools necessary to perform nearly all of Espeon's tasks and more. When it comes to setting up Dual Screens, Deoxys-S is almost always the better choice.

***NOTICE***

If you are looking to write one of these entries but don't know which Pokemon to write about, feel free to PM either Magnemite or myself (CyclicCompound) and we can set you up with one :)

Last edited:
Just being technical, Deoxys CAN be infatuated. Mew and Cryogonal can learn Attract, which works on other Genderless Pokemon when they use it.
This is wrong. Genderless 'mons can't infatuate one another any more than they could in Gen V. Mental Herb is for Taunt and Torment.

The main issue I see with using Deoxys-S over Espeon is that unlike Espeon, Deoxys-S can't switch in to block hazards, which is a big selling point of Magic Bounce. That leaves it susceptible to all statuses and hazards that other pokemon are susceptible to. Also, in order to do Espeons job of keeping status moves away, Deoxys-S must repeatedly use Taunt and Magic Coat, preventing it from being able to set up.. If your main objective is a pokemon that can set up screens, then I agree, Deoxys-S is pretty good, but often Espeon is chosen as a way of getting rid of status/hazards without using a turn to use Heal Bell or Rapid Spin, and it's role as a screens user is just chosen to take advantage of that.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
The main issue I see with using Deoxys-S over Espeon is that unlike Espeon, Deoxys-S can't switch in to block hazards, which is a big selling point of Magic Bounce. That leaves it susceptible to all statuses and hazards that other pokemon are susceptible to. Also, in order to do Espeons job of keeping status moves away, Deoxys-S must repeatedly use Taunt and Magic Coat, preventing it from being able to set up.. If your main objective is a pokemon that can set up screens, then I agree, Deoxys-S is pretty good, but often Espeon is chosen as a way of getting rid of status/hazards without using a turn to use Heal Bell or Rapid Spin, and it's role as a screens user is just chosen to take advantage of that.
Espeon is not worth the value of switching in and blocking hazards. The point stands that Deoxys-S does this far more efficiently by performing multiple roles so well, ESPECIALLY considering that the vast majority of hazards are laid down at the beginning of a match. If you need a Pokemon to get rid of hazards later on, use a Pokemon with Defog or Rapid Spin. If you need Dual Screens, use Deoxys-S. If you need both, you can try Espeon, but the point is that it's very hard for Espeon to effectively perform both roles, which is why it's not a good Pokemon to use.

In other words, Espeon is, generally speaking, a bad Pokemon to use in OU. Yes, it holds an interesting niche, but the fact of the matter is that Espeon is frequently dead weight compared to the plethora of options you can use instead.

Echoing these, isn't Mirror Coat kind of redundant with Taunt? I'd slash Psycho Boost on that, that at least gives you an answer to MVenu.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Echoing these, isn't Mirror Coat kind of redundant with Taunt? I'd slash Psycho Boost on that, that at least gives you an answer to MVenu.
Magic Coat is useful because it gives you a solid answer to most Prankster Pokemon that will try to take advantage of Deoxys-S as a lead (namely Thundurus and to an extent Sableye). Furthermore, it allows you to use your opponent's moves against you, oftentimes ones you do not possess yourself. Think reflecting Sticky Web, Spore, Spikes, etc., all moves that you COULD stop with Taunt but are better off Magic Coat-ing to first gain their effects for yourself.

Don't use this:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Why it's bad: This set gets walled to hell and back by pretty much any decent defensive Pokemon. It's also extremely prone to burns. Skarmory and Gliscor literally never give any fucks, pretty much regardless of boosts and the all-round versatility of this set is poor. Stance Change is both a blessing and a curse, and it forces lots and lots of mind games. However, in its frailest form, Aegislash won't be sticking around long and can often find itself cornered by a Super Effective non-contact move like Earthquake which will doubtless KO it after the user has tanked a Shadow Sneak.

Instead, use this:

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP (Or 252 Atk) / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword / Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Why it's better: This set alleviates those nasty situations where you can't deal enough damage to KO before taking an EQ in Blade Forme. Aegislash's monstrous defences allow it to tank many a super effective hit when in Shield Forme. Getting a DOUBLE BOOST from Weakness Policy in this way is insane, as very few counters / checks are safe when Aegislash reaches +2 in both offences. Here are a couple of calcs...

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 427-504 (127.8 - 150.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 405-477 (114.4 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 301-355 (99 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 418-493 (99.5 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 333-393 (93 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 318-375 (92.4 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 273-322 (75 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 271-321 (74.4 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Etc, etc -->
Overall a much better set.

NOTE: Flash Cannon isn't recommended by me, although it can be used to get by certain threats much easier (such as Mandibuzz). Overall though, Sacred Sword is a far superior option in my opinion.

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 333-393 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

EDIT: Thanks to dbzmeriogeno for pointing out my idiocy in the EVs and natures previously!

Last edited:
Please tell me you mean 252 Atk or HP, 252 SpA Quiet. That literally changes all your calcs to OHKOs, which it needs. Never use -Def natures on Aegislash...
Good point, would you recommend running max HP, max SpA? Does it not need the Atk EVs?

Fixed now anyway, thanks for the help. It's bloody late!

Last edited:
Espeon is not worth the value of switching in and blocking hazards. The point stands that Deoxys-S does this far more efficiently by performing multiple roles so well, ESPECIALLY considering that the vast majority of hazards are laid down at the beginning of a match. If you need a Pokemon to get rid of hazards later on, use a Pokemon with Defog or Rapid Spin. If you need Dual Screens, use Deoxys-S. If you need both, you can try Espeon, but the point is that it's very hard for Espeon to effectively perform both roles, which is why it's not a good Pokemon to use.

In other words, Espeon is, generally speaking, a bad Pokemon to use in OU. Yes, it holds an interesting niche, but the fact of the matter is that Espeon is frequently dead weight compared to the plethora of options you can use instead.
Like I said earlier in this thread, Espeon is no longer worth using for hazards alone, though it's a nice side effect to have. Espeon is best for dealing with status moves like Toxic and Thunder Wave, as it keeps you from having to have an Aromatherapy or Heal Bell user, while simultaneously inflicting such status. I agree Espeon isn't that great in OU this gen because Magic Bounce isn't that useful, but I don't think Deoxys-S is really a valid comparison, because Espeon is used for the sole reason of Magic Bounce. The only thing it should be compared to is Xatu, who, IMO is pretty much outclasses in most roles.

Though there must be some reason it's getting near top 20 usage. Maybe because it shuts down Klefki and Trevenant, huge problems for new players?

Don't use this:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Why it's bad: This set gets walled to hell and back by pretty much any decent defensive Pokemon. It's also extremely prone to burns. Skarmory and Gliscor literally never give any fucks, pretty much regardless of boosts and the all-round versatility of this set is poor. Stance Change is both a blessing and a curse, and it forces lots and lots of mind games. However, in its frailest form, Aegislash won't be sticking around long and can often find itself cornered by a Super Effective non-contact move like Earthquake which will doubtless KO it after the user has tanked a Shadow Sneak.

Instead, use this:

Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Why it's better: This set alleviates those nasty situations where you can't deal enough damage to KO before taking an EQ in Blade Forme. Aegislash's monstrous defences allow it to tank many a super effective hit when in Shield Forme. Getting a DOUBLE BOOST from Weakness Policy in this way is insane, as very few counters / checks are safe when Aegislash reaches +2 in both offences. Here are a couple of calcs...

+2 252 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 390-459 (116.7 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 356-422 (109.8 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 414-488 (127.7 - 150.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 304-358 (84.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Etc, etc -->

NOTE: Flash Cannon isn't recommended by me, although it can be used to get by certain threats much easier (such as Mandibuzz). Overall though, Sacred Sword is a far superior option in my opinion.

EDIT: Thanks to dbzmeriogeno for pointing out my idiocy in the EVs and natures previously!
Two of these calcs are the opponent one-hitting Aegislash-Blade. Pretty sure that's not what you meant to post.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Like I said earlier in this thread, Espeon is no longer worth using for hazards alone, though it's a nice side effect to have. Espeon is best for dealing with status moves like Toxic and Thunder Wave, as it keeps you from having to have an Aromatherapy or Heal Bell user, while simultaneously inflicting such status. I agree Espeon isn't that great in OU this gen because Magic Bounce isn't that useful, but I don't think Deoxys-S is really a valid comparison, because Espeon is used for the sole reason of Magic Bounce. The only thing it should be compared to is Xatu, who, IMO is pretty much outclasses in most roles.

Though there must be some reason it's getting near top 20 usage. Maybe because it shuts down Klefki and Trevenant, huge problems for new players?
You're right in that Deoxys-S isn't a perfect comparison, but if you're in the market for Dual Screens users, it's good to know that Deoxys-S exists and is a much better choice than Espeon in most scenarios.

The way I see it (and this view may be slightly controversial), Espeon is an "easy way out" of not having to worry about status or hazards. The problem is, Espeon sucks, and even though its (somewhat) saving grace is Magic Bounce, any decently skilled player will have no problem maneuvering around Espeon should their strategy depend on said hazards or status, which is why Espeon becomes dead weight as you move up the ladder.

And yes, I'd say you're absolutely correct in saying that its appeal comes from being able to shut down Klefki and Trevenant, which can be difficult to deal with if you're unacquainted with better (and generally more encompassing) ways of beating them.

Don't use this:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Instead, use this:

Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

+2 252 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 390-459 (116.7 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 356-422 (109.8 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 414-488 (127.7 - 150.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 304-358 (84.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Etc, etc -->

This is certainly an interesting set. One of the reasons I use the Swords Dance set is that it's a terrific late game cleaner, and the ability to hold leftovers gives it longevity for when you need to come in earlier. The Weakness Policy set seems like a one time deal, which can be an issue with Aegislash's speed.

The way I see it (and this view may be slightly controversial), Espeon is an "easy way out" of not having to worry about status or hazards. The problem is, Espeon sucks, and even though its (somewhat) saving grace is Magic Bounce, any decently skilled player will have no problem maneuvering around Espeon should their strategy depend on said hazards or status, which is why Espeon becomes dead weight as you move up the ladder.
I wouldn't say it sucks. I'd say it has the best stat distribution of all Eeveelutions, and if every Psychic type and it's mother didn't have an incredibly similar stat distribution, it would probably be incredibly threatening. It's got a decent defensive movepool and a usable offensive one. I think it'd be solidly UU if it weren't for Magic Bounce, which, among over 700 pokemon, I wouldn't call "sucking"

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't say it sucks. I'd say it has the best stat distribution of all Eeveelutions, and if every Psychic type and it's mother didn't have an incredibly similar stat distribution, it would probably be incredibly threatening. It's got a decent defensive movepool and a usable offensive one. I think it'd be solidly UU if it weren't for Magic Bounce, which, among over 700 pokemon, I wouldn't call "sucking"
  • Mono-psychic typing
    • Has no notable resistances—EVERY Fighting-type carries something to hurt Espeon.
  • Poor defenses
  • "Every Psychic-type and it's mother [has] an incredibly similar stat distribution" <--- This ain't changing, bud.
  • Offensive sets outclassed by Deoxys-S, Alakazam, and Gardevoir
    • Greninja's not even the same type, but does it better anyway
    • Actually every offensive Pokemon in OU is basically better than Espeon
  • Offensive sets outlclassed in UU by Azelf
  • Calm Mind sets outclassed by Sylveon, who can go mono-attacking
  • Defensive sets are a joke—65/60/95 defenses get you nowhere.
  • Lack of instant recovery—Morning Sun doesn't count when you have Tyranitar Lure written all over you
  • Support options are limited to everything that every other Pokemon does better
    • Heal Bell—done better by Togekiss, Sylveon, Chansey, etc.
    • Wish—done better by Togekiss, Sylveon, Chansey, etc.
    • Dual Screens—done better by Deoxys-S, Deoxys-D, Latias, etc.
    • Quick Pass—done better by Celebi, Mew, etc.
    • Yawn—no.
  • Brought down by almost every common priority move
  • Weak to Pursuit (and can't really touch the most common users other than Scizor, who decimates with Bullet Punch anyway)
  • Keep in mind, in gen IV, before Magic Bounce, Espeon was NU. What did it get since then? Psyshock?
And what is the one niche that supposedly holds this mess of qualities together? Magic Bounce. An ability that has very similar effects to using a better Pokemon with Taunt or Magic Coat.

Unless you are using a Baton Pass team and absolutely need Magic Bounce to function, it is difficult to justify the use of a Pokemon who is otherwise outclassed in nearly every way.

• Mono-psychic typing
    • Has no notable resistances—EVERY Fighting-type carries something to hurt Espeon.
  • Poor defenses
  • "Every Psychic-type and it's mother [has] an incredibly similar stat distribution" <--- This ain't changing, bud.
  • Offensive sets outclassed by Deoxys-S, Alakazam, and Gardevoir
    • Greninja's not even the same type, but does it better anyway
    • Actually every offensive Pokemon in OU is basically better than Espeon
  • Offensive sets outlclassed in UU by Azelf
  • Calm Mind sets outclassed by Sylveon, who can go mono-attacking
  • Defensive sets are a joke—65/60/95 defenses get you nowhere.
  • Lack of instant recovery—Morning Sun doesn't count when you have Tyranitar Lure written all over you
  • Support options are limited to everything that every other Pokemon does better
    • Heal Bell—done better by Togekiss, Sylveon, Chansey, etc.
    • Wish—done better by Togekiss, Sylveon, Chansey, etc.
    • Dual Screens—done better by Deoxys-S, Deoxys-D, Latias, etc.
    • Quick Pass—done better by Celebi, Mew, etc.
    • Yawn—no.
  • Brought down by almost every common priority move
  • Weak to Pursuit (and can't really touch the most common users other than Scizor, who decimates with Bullet Punch anyway)
  • Keep in mind, in gen IV, before Magic Bounce, Espeon was NU. What did it get since then? Psyshock?
And what is the one niche that supposedly holds this mess of qualities together? Magic Bounce. An ability that has very similar effects to using a better Pokemon with Taunt or Magic Coat.

Unless you are using a Baton Pass team and absolutely need Magic Bounce to function, it is difficult to justify the use of a Pokemon who is otherwise outclassed in nearly every way.
-It was in NU when RU didn't exist (well there weren't any pokemon in it anyway), and Alakazam was UU.
-I don't think you can just discredit Morning Sun like that. Zard Y is about as common as T-Tar, and you obviously won't use it when there is a T-tar around. Saying Espeon doesn't have recovery because it's T-Tar bait is like saying Zard Y doesn't have Grass type coverage because it's T-Tar bait.
-Sylveon's Calm Mind set works completely differently, focusing on defense and relying on Wish + Protect for recovery.
-Priority doesn't do that much if you run defensive bulk EVs, which can work really well.
-Espeon is actually one of the few Psychic types that can escape Pursuit.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing that Espeon is some top threat in OU, but it's a decent pokemon by general standards. You're right, maybe it wouldn't be UU, as UU this gen looks ridiculously powerful, but I still wouldn't say it sucks by any means.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
-It was in NU when RU didn't exist (well there weren't any pokemon in it anyway), and Alakazam was UU.
Alakazam was UU because it didn't have Magic Guard. Similarly, Espeon was NU because it didn't have Magic Bounce. The entire point, however, is that Magic Bounce does not justify using Espeon.
I don't think you can just discredit Morning Sun like that. Zard Y is about as common as T-Tar, and you obviously won't use it when there is a T-tar around. Saying Espeon doesn't have recovery because it's T-Tar bait is like saying Zard Y doesn't have Grass type coverage because it's T-Tar bait.
As far as Charizard is concerned, if Tyranitar is on the opponent's team, it can assume it won't Grass-type coverage because Tyranitar is hands-down the best switch-in to Mega Charizard Y. Espeon is in the exact same boat.
Sylveon's Calm Mind set works completely differently, focusing on defense and relying on Wish + Protect for recovery.
My point was that Espeon cannot run a Calm Mind set, period. They are quite terrible regardless of what you run.
Priority doesn't do that much if you run defensive bulk EVs, which can work really well.
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Espeon: 231-273 (69.1 - 81.7%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Espeon: 160-189 (47.9 - 56.5%)
That's a ton of damage for a Pokemon that attempts fully in its physical defense.
Espeon is actually one of the few Psychic types that can escape Pursuit
Being able to run Baton Pass gives it very little merit if that's the only thing it can do to differentiate itself from every other Psychic-type.

To be quite frank, Espeon is a terrible Pokemon, and Magic Bounce is the only quality that deserves attention in the OU metagame. And even then, you have to analyze what it is you're giving up by using Espeon, which is a lot.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Don't use this:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

JMach has the right idea already: Stance Dance Aegislash is incredibly meh. However, the set he suggested in place of it plays significantly differently, in that it baits super effective hits rather than using its bulk to set up and switch to attack mode and wreck everything, which is what Stance Dance Aegislash is all about. What most people don't realize is that you don't necessarily have to switch back to Shield Forme once you do get going...

Instead, use this:

EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword / Head Smash

Hmm? Where's the King Shield? How do you expect to sweep when you die to a light touch the moment you attack? Well you'll find out just how much Aegislash appreciates having a third attack, since it gives it a good deal more options. Shadow Ball Aegislash is powerful and all, but it can struggle to overwhelm certain walls, or at least has some difficulty continually busting through slower Pokemon. Swords Dance Aegislash can set right up and sweep the slower dudes, the extra attack being key here since it grants Aegislash a lot more power than unSTABed Sacred Sword. A good example would be SD Aegislash OHKOing AV Conkeldurr with Iron Head, who'd normally win in a 1v1 matchup with either Shadow Ball Aegi or Stance Dance Aegi (with good prediction), and isn't stopped by Unaware Clefable. Also, notice the amount of Speed this Aegislash has, which is enough to outrun base 80s such as Venusaur and Mandibuzz, allowing Aegislash to outrun a good majority of walls and smash them. Sacred Sword has good coverage with Aegislash's STABs, but Head Smash is Aegislash's strongest attack against a variety of threats, such as Mandibuzz, Zapdos, Skarmory, and Volcarona.

The trick to using this Aegislash is set up only when necessary; the Stance Dance variant pretty much has to set up which is what made it bad. Throw out a few unboosted attacks here and there & switch to reset Shield Forme if need be until it comes high time to Swords Dance and sweep, KOing fast opponents with +2 Shadow Sneak and bulldozing slower Pokemon with its more powerful options. SD Aegislash still has problems with bulky Grounds no matter what it runs though, so keep that in mind.

JMach has the right idea already: Stance Dance Aegislash is incredibly meh. However, the set he suggested in place of it plays significantly differently, in that it baits super effective hits rather than using its bulk to set up and switch to attack mode and wreck everything, which is what Stance Dance Aegislash is all about. What most people don't realize is that you don't necessarily have to switch back to Shield Forme once you do get going...

Instead, use this:

EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword / Head Smash

Hmm? Where's the King Shield? How do you expect to sweep when you die to a light touch the moment you attack? Well you'll find out just how much Aegislash appreciates having a third attack, since it gives it a good deal more options. Shadow Ball Aegislash is powerful and all, but it can struggle to overwhelm certain walls, or at least has some difficulty continually busting through slower Pokemon. Swords Dance Aegislash can set right up and sweep the slower dudes, the extra attack being key here since it grants Aegislash a lot more power than unSTABed Sacred Sword. A good example would be SD Aegislash OHKOing AV Conkeldurr with Iron Head, who'd normally win in a 1v1 matchup with either Shadow Ball Aegi or Stance Dance Aegi (with good prediction), and isn't stopped by Unaware Clefable. Also, notice the amount of Speed this Aegislash has, which is enough to outrun base 80s such as Venusaur and Mandibuzz, allowing Aegislash to outrun a good majority of walls and smash them. Sacred Sword has good coverage with Aegislash's STABs, but Head Smash is Aegislash's strongest attack against a variety of threats, such as Mandibuzz, Zapdos, Skarmory, and Volcarona.

The trick to using this Aegislash is set up only when necessary; the Stance Dance variant pretty much has to set up which is what made it bad. Throw out a few unboosted attacks here and there & switch to reset Shield Forme if need be until it comes high time to Swords Dance and sweep, KOing fast opponents with +2 Shadow Sneak and bulldozing slower Pokemon with its more powerful options. SD Aegislash still has problems with bulky Grounds no matter what it runs though, so keep that in mind.
In my opinion, many people try and set up with Slash far too early. The set I suggested can actually function very similarly to the Stance Dance set in that it can clean up very nicely late game.

Too many people overestimate it's early game sweeping capabilities. With the right support, Slash likes situations where the game seems even and could swing either way. Then, at +2 +2 all it needs is a sufficient opportunity to bait an attack that the opponent would usually be safe going for and throw it back in their face.

MixSlash achieves this much better than Stance Dance because of it's superior versatility. Aegislash is hard to sweep with without support whatever set you run. I think my set's a perfectly viable replacement :)

Also, while Head Smash is nice, Slash doesn't appreciate the recoil damage. IMO it turns him into too much of a glass cannon and makes it easier for bulkier 'mons to strike back for the KO. It's an absurdly powerful coverage move, granted, but personally I'd stick to Sacred Sword and pay more attention to supporting Slash rather than trying to make him into a pseudo-one-man-army.

All just opinions though!

Don't use that

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 SDef
Calm/Bold Nature
-Scald
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell

While Wish makes Vaporeon a decent cleric, as a status clearer, it falls short. With this set, Vaporeon must rely on Scald to threaten opponents, which is often insufficient, and allows opponents to either set up or switch something in that completely walls you, forcing you to switch.

Use this:

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Calm/Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Swagger/Confuse Ray
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

If you want a Water-type status clearer, Lanturn is the better option. While its defensive stats aren't as good as Vaporeon's, it has access to Volt Switch, Thunder Wave, and confusion inducing moves, such that it's not set up fodder. Swagger or Confuse Ray put pressure on your opponent to switch, while Thunder Wave gives you a speed advantage and cripples sweepers.

Note: This is strictly for the role of a status clearing water type. If you need a wishpasser, obviously Lanturn isn't useful, and if you need a bulky offensive water type, Rotom-W is better.

As a vaporeon lover, I have a big problem with your vaporeon set...

Why the heck would you run wishtect when vaporeon has far superior options like roar, haze, and wish-pass?

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 SDef
Calm/Bold Nature
-Scald
-Wish
-roar/haze/baton pass
-Heal Bell

roar and haze do a great job of screwing over setup sweepers, haze cannot be magic bounced or coated while roar is overall better due to forcing a switch. BP means that vaporeon can function as a slow bulky pivot (almost like a certain angaler fish that is was being compared unfavorably to) that cannot be blocked by swapping in any ground type that threatens it and subsequently forced out because lol-speed. Also, wish passing means that the swapped in pokemon does not need to take a hit, meaning that vaporeon even has a niche over friggen chansey in being a cleric, allowing it to do things like wish pass in front of a keldeo or either of the lati-twins, which chansey could never do not because chansey can't tank these guys, but because the weakened mon in question probably can't.

Jukain n Blissey vs. Chansey has been done in this topic already, and it's also been established that defensive EVs >>>>> health EVs on both of them.

Chansey's better set is still MaxHP/Def, Web. Blissey might benefit from max defenses, but chaney can actually be a full mixed wall when focusing on the physical side.

Chansey's better set is still MaxHP/Def, Web. Blissey might benefit from max defenses, but chaney can actually be a full mixed wall when focusing on the physical side.
0- Atk Chansey Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 16+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 88-104 (13.7 - 16.2%) -- possible 7HKO
0- Atk Chansey Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 96-114 (13.6 - 16.1%) -- possible 7HKO

Those 252 hp EVs are literally giving you the equivalent of 16 defense EVs. Are you sure that chansey would'nt appreciate at least some of those EVs being put in sp defense?

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 8 HP / 248 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 208-247 (32.3 - 38.4%) -- 97.4% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 260-307 (36.9 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252 SpA Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 306-362 (43.4 - 51.4%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 8 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 246-290 (38.2 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's actually a solid increase in bulk on the special side (for starters, the 2hko is no longer as much of a threat when SR is on the ground), for the equivalent of 16 more defense EVs on the physical side. I happen to like mixed walls, so that's why I run them.

edit: mrglass I think that's the first time I've ever gotten a post liked by the guy I was criticizing :)

Web, that's a tad unfair. While OBVIOUSLY chansey gains way more from Def invest over HP, its best set is not investing in Sdef, as I said. Since they add on each other, it's better that way. And HP gets more important as the Def stat increases, so there's that. As you buffer your defense, the more HP is actually worth more.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
In my opinion, many people try and set up with Slash far too early. The set I suggested can actually function very similarly to the Stance Dance set in that it can clean up very nicely late game.

Too many people overestimate it's early game sweeping capabilities. With the right support, Slash likes situations where the game seems even and could swing either way. Then, at +2 +2 all it needs is a sufficient opportunity to bait an attack that the opponent would usually be safe going for and throw it back in their face.

MixSlash achieves this much better than Stance Dance because of it's superior versatility. Aegislash is hard to sweep with without support whatever set you run. I think my set's a perfectly viable replacement :)

Also, while Head Smash is nice, Slash doesn't appreciate the recoil damage. IMO it turns him into too much of a glass cannon and makes it easier for bulkier 'mons to strike back for the KO. It's an absurdly powerful coverage move, granted, but personally I'd stick to Sacred Sword and pay more attention to supporting Slash rather than trying to make him into a pseudo-one-man-army.

All just opinions though!
Your set does indeed have late game cleaning potential, but lacks the ability to set up willingly, instead relying on opponents to set up for you, and they'd take a good chunk of Aegislash's health away too. Really, Weakness Policy Aegislash probably prefers Autotomize over King's Shield for the very reason I suggested: so that it can set up by itself and be primed to sweep opponents, without any reliance on its opponent whatsoever.

Aegislash, like any other setup sweeper, cannot really sweep early game. What sets Aegislash apart is the amount of power it has even without setting up, allowing to punch holes into opponents to soften them up for Aegislash or its teammates to later sweep. Both of our sets accomplish this (though mine at least stays true to the Swords Dance theme :P), so we are both correct!

What you said about Head Smash is completely true: it indeed hurts Aegislash a lot, but the ability to plow through would-be counters in Zapdos, Skarmory, and Mandibuzz is still invaluable. Its power is of course nothing to scoff at: +2 Head Smash can OHKO specially defensive Heatran, which makes it comparable to Sacred Sword already. By this extension, Head Smash actually covers more SD Aegislash responses than Sacred Sword, but Sacred Sword would still be the safer option for those not wanting to risk Aegislash's health like that and are willing to offer it more support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)