Gen 6 The "Are my Pokémon IVs and Nature good?" Thread

Heya all,
Having played pokemon since the beginning, I've never actually delved into the deeper guts of it all until now. I've been scrounging every forum for advice and help and I'm really thankful for the awesome info available everywhere!

I SR'd for a few hours at work and ended up with this Mewtwo-

Rash Nature (Higher SP ATK lower SP DEF)

31/31/31/31/31/26-27

I'm really tempted to keep this after all of the time spent, and having so many sub-par mewtwos these past few hours. The biggest issue for me is the speed, but at least it isn't sub-20! It'll be Mewtwo X, so in wondering if I should keep it.

If yes, how on earth do you build/super train him since he turns into a fighter?

Thanks PokeFriends!

Mewtwo X should be Jolly or Naive, never Rash. MMY runs Timid always. The nature is just bad, sorry. :(

Also, you want to catch MMX in HGSS so that it has access to Drain Punch and/or Low Kick via gen 4/5 tutors.

TL;DR: Hope it's not too late, because you should not keep that M2. Go for Timid and use LO M2 b/c of tutor issue.

I found this after a really, really exhaust amount of tries.
Modest Xerneas.
200 hp, atk 126, def 115, sp. Atk. 166, sp. Def 118, speed 117. (I plane a geomancy modest one)

Its worth to keep?

And I found a curious thing about the hunting of this Xerneas, my game almost always give one of the 3 perfect ivs in attack and that is really frustrating because I want a modest one. If the value of ivs are generated and give at random. Why my game have this tendency? Any clue?.

Your IVs:
28-29 / 8-11 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 26-27

The Speed really isn't a big deal since no one runs max on GeoXern anyway (just shift from HP/Def to hit your preferred benchmark). It's definitely keepable.

Thank you so much Alert to Sounds, I think to go with the spreed of 108 hp, 28 def, 252 spcl atk. And 120 speed in the forum. So I think its gonna be fine and bulky enough.

Mewtwo X should be Jolly or Naive, never Rash. MMY runs Timid always. The nature is just bad, sorry. :(

Also, you want to catch MMX in HGSS so that it has access to Drain Punch and/or Low Kick via gen 4/5 tutors.

TL;DR: Hope it's not too late, because you should not keep that M2. Go for Timid and use LO M2 b/c of tutor issue.
Is the issue losing the SP Def? I don't really plan on going competitive or anything, I just wanted a good MewTwo. And from what I've read 5/6 IVs is a terrible pain to get. Is it absolutely that bad to lose the SP Def?

And I'll probably transfer up my HG Mewtwo then, and see what he's got up his sleeve.

Is the issue losing the SP Def? I don't really plan on going competitive or anything, I just wanted a good MewTwo. And from what I've read 5/6 IVs is a terrible pain to get. Is it absolutely that bad to lose the SP Def?

And I'll probably transfer up my HG Mewtwo then, and see what he's got up his sleeve.
No, the problem is you lose out on outspeeding Darkrai and Arceus. Darkrai typically runs Timid (383 Speed) and so does Arceus (372 speed).

Thanks to Powersave's ability to backup save data, I have 2 Bold Yveltal. Which one is better? (level 50, BTW)

Yveltal - #717 (Bold) : 31 / 2 - 3 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 24 - 25
Yveltal - #717 (Bold) : 31 / 1 / 31 / 31 / 28 - 29 / 31

Edit:
4. Finally, bring 3-4 rare candies and a Reset Bag. after you do that other fight, use the Reset bag to get rid of all the EVs from that battle. Use the rare candies and this IV calculator: http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx
The dialogue after the fight is much longer. You'd be better off letting him kill you. I recommend using Pokemon w/ Healing Wish & Memento to end it already. Ralts gets Memento & Munna gets Healing Wish, but they both require breeding. Mew also gets Explosion, but it's an event Pokemon.

I also recommend using Capture Power lv. 3 (unless you use a Master Ball), and turning off Battle Animations.

Last edited:
Thanks to Powersave's ability to backup save data, I have 2 Bold Yveltal. Which one is better? (level 50, BTW)

Yveltal - #717 (Bold) : 31 / 2 - 3 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 24 - 25
Yveltal - #717 (Bold) : 31 / 1 / 31 / 31 / 28 - 29 / 31

Edit:
The dialogue after the fight is much longer. You'd be better off letting him kill you. I recommend using Pokemon w/ Healing Wish & Memento to end it already. Ralts gets Memento & Munna gets Healing Wish, but they both require breeding. Mew also gets Explosion, but it's an event Pokemon.

I also recommend using Capture Power lv. 3 (unless you use a Master Ball), and turning off Battle Animations.
Go for the second one, it has more speed and speed is very important on the stalling set. 2-3 points difference in Sp. Def shouldn't matter.

Go for the second one, it has more speed and speed is very important on the stalling set. 2-3 points difference in Sp. Def shouldn't matter.
Hmm, now that I think of it, someone PM'd me requesting a clone for the 2nd one, and you make a good point. Okay, # 2 it is then, thanks.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
>__>

Sorry for the double post, feel free to delete this if you want mods but I caught an Adamant 31/31/31/x/31/31 Mewtwo. Is that even usable for MMX? lol

blitzlefan

shake it off!
>__>

Sorry for the double post, feel free to delete this if you want mods but I caught an Adamant 31/31/31/x/31/31 Mewtwo. Is that even usable for MMX? lol
IMO Mewtwo has such a solid Speed tier that an Adamant nature is out of the question. Input from a more experienced Ubers player might be helpful though.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jolly is certainly preferred, but the bigger issue here is that Drain Punch and Low Kick are both move tutor moves from B2W2, which REALLY sucks for Mega Mewtwo X.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I just got a Timid XY Mewtwo with an IV spread of 31 / 14 / 27 / 31 / 28 / 31. Normally I'd try soft reseting more, but I REALLY gotta get prepared for the April Friendlies, I have a lot of stuff to do in real life for the next 2 weeks, and to be honest, in most cases I'd just use a Mewtwo soft reseted from HGSS anyways, so I'm just gonna stick with this. The only big issue is that Talonflame now has a better chance of OHKOing Mega Mewtwo Y, which is a bummer, but oh well, I just gotta prepare extra hard for that thing then!

Jolly is certainly preferred, but the bigger issue here is that Drain Punch and Low Kick are both move tutor moves from B2W2, which REALLY sucks for Mega Mewtwo X.
You can always wait for pokemon Z move tutors and use something stupid like brick brick for the time.

What are the chances of getting a modest near flawless Xerneas with 31 IVs in everything except attack? I've been soft resetting for hours now with no luck.

What are the chances of getting a modest near flawless Xerneas with 31 IVs in everything except attack? I've been soft resetting for hours now with no luck.
Even with the legends have 3 set IVs this time, it's still really hard to get a "flawless" 'mon. In fact, even getting 30 or better still takes a ton of patience.
Take, for instance, the odds of getting a 31/x/31/31/31/31 Modest Xerneas:

3 perfect IVs, but a 50% chance one of them will be in attack. So half the time, you'll actually be shooting for 3 IVs. Keep that in mind.
.52((.5)(1/32)² + (.5)(1/32)³) = 0.0002618408203125
The 52% is for Synchronize...yes, you read that right. You still have a 1/25 shot at the correct nature even if it fails, so you have to account for that.

Those odds are just a little better than 1/4000 ... pretty depressing. You can improve them significantly if you're willing to take 30 IVs in the 2/3 other stats you need. Behold:
.52((.5)(1/16)² + (.5)(1/16)³) = 0.0010791015625
With these odds, you're at slightly better than a 1/1000 chance. Still pretty crappy, though perhaps a little less insane to attempt. For myself, as much as I want good legendaries, these odds are still a bit ridiculous.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I thought you were responding to yourself there at first. lol

Anyways I always thought the chances of getting a 31/x/31/31/31/31 Modest Xerneas was around 1 in 11815

To get 5 perfect IVs in general would be a 1/1024 chance.
There are 6 different ways you can get 5 perfect IV:
x/31/31/31/31/31
31/x/31/31/31/31
31/31/x/31/31/31
31/31/31/x/31/31
31/31/31/31/x/31
31/31/31/31/31/x

But we only need the second spread, which is a 1/6 chance on top of the 1/1024 chance. That's a 1 in 6144. Factoring the 52% of getting the nature you want (Modest Synchronize) then that gives you a 1 in 11815 chance.

Though knowing me I probably left out a huge detail. >_>

In other words, if you see a semi-flawless one with 27+ in everything except attack, keep it. Remember if you read an earlier post in this thread that I mentioned that you can use a Lv. 57 Timid Dragalge with a 31 Speed IV and 252 Speed. It translates to 118 speed. It at leasts gives you a stat you can indirectly control.

Last edited:
Hi. I have just caught a Xerneas, not sure what the IV's are but the stats are:
HP 130
At 130
Def 103
Sp At 166
Sp Def 118
Spd 119

Worth keeping?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)