Pokémon Gallade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't think he'll make it to suspect. Aegislash and Mawile were both strong and tanky. Greninja can barely survive regular hits, and is wrecked by any form of priority.
Going by that logic, we should unban Deo-N and Deo-A, who have literally no switch-in opportunities (Greninja can actually counter/check some shit).

Rotom-W and Sylveon are good enough.
You'll want something to Heal Bell to avoid burns or para.
Does Sylveon get Heal Bell now? I can't remember.

Rotom-W and Sylveon are good enough.
You'll want something to Heal Bell to avoid burns or para.
Does Sylveon get Heal Bell now? I can't remember.
Sylveon has always had Heal Bell.
That said, if you're going for a cleric, it's largely outclassed by Clefable.

I know, that is why I didn't say he needed to be banned. Now back to discussing Gallade: what would be some good defensive partners to take hits targeted at Gallade?
the first poke coming up to mind would be defensive lando-t, raikou, defensive tyranitar and maybe ferro to an extent, only capable on talons bb tho. oh and zapdos. basically mons able to take flying types

As mentioned earlier in the thread (probably), Rotom-W goes great with Gallade and Bisharp both. It laughs off anything Talonflame can do and forces it out with the threat of chunking off upwards of 3/4 of Flame's health bar with a slow Volt Switch (full K.O. with Rocks) while letting in Gallade/Bisharp in without risk of getting hit, or just outright destroying it with a Hydro Pump.

Magnezone is also a great teammate. He can trap Ferrothorn and Scizor so Gallade isn't forced to take Bullet Punches or the recoil from Ferrothorn's iron barbs/rocky helmet. He can also come in on a majority of the fairies and force them out or go for a KO. He's a check to birdspam, and can even check Azumarill.

As mentioned earlier in the thread (probably), Rotom-W goes great with Gallade and Bisharp both. It laughs off anything Talonflame can do and forces it out with the threat of chunking off upwards of 3/4 of Flame's health bar with a slow Volt Switch (full K.O. with Rocks) while letting in Gallade/Bisharp in without risk of getting hit, or just outright destroying it with a Hydro Pump.
The only thing about Rotom-W, Gallade, Bisharp I don't like is that it's pretty much completely shut down by MChar-Y. Definitely needs a SpD cleric to be effective.

Talonflame with spdef investment can also be a very good partner for offensive M-Gallade team as it can deal pretty well with M-Sableye being immune to w-o-w and having the ability to prevent recovering and setting up by using taunt. Its also very helpful to have him on the team of MGallade-Bisharp-RotomW core which has problem against many fast threats that can be destroyed by its Priority BB. (Bisharps Sucker Punch helps too in that and you will be able to create more mind games by making your opponent think twice before going for wow instead of attacking)

I don't think he can counter M-Sableye though since Taunt just gets bounced back by Magic Bounce. Other than that, he may be a good partner to stallbreak certain pokemon.

Oh right.. well its still a good option to have taunt against other threats like Mew. I got confused with Mold breaker Taunt MGyarados :)
He would rather hit mew with a knock off on switch and bring in something else. What exactly is he going to taunt besides mew? Ferro? Heatran? Dragonite? Lando? Those are pokemon who will be forced out reguardless fearing STABs/coverage moves. Subsitute also deals with mew just fine.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
The only thing about Rotom-W, Gallade, Bisharp I don't like is that it's pretty much completely shut down by MChar-Y. Definitely needs a SpD cleric to be effective.
Lolwat char-y can't literally switch on any move from these three except rotom's wow. This core will likely be part of an offensive team and as an offensive team it wants to keep momentum, while clerics usually kill it so they really don't need it. If you feel char-y is a problem just add a lati@s to the core.

Is it mainly down to preference, or are there any crucial KO breakpoints that Gallade would miss out on taking Psycho Cut over ZenButt? I know having the flinch chance is nice and M-Gallade has the speed to abuse the chances, but recently I just had the worst luck and missed four ZenButts in a row, and was just wondering if the increase in reliability could cause an inability with the drop in power.

That, and thematically I think Psycho Cut is infinitely cooler.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
Is it mainly down to preference, or are there any crucial KO breakpoints that Gallade would miss out on taking Psycho Cut over ZenButt? I know having the flinch chance is nice and M-Gallade has the speed to abuse the chances, but recently I just had the worst luck and missed four ZenButts in a row, and was just wondering if the increase in reliability could cause an inability with the drop in power.

Atm the only thing that comes to my mind is chesnaught that gallade fails to 2HKO with psycho cut, while zen headbutt can do it. However the little increase of damage can be helpful in many situation, but yeah that comes down to preferences

I suppose missing so many Zen Headbutts in a row is just some really bad luck, but I think that the higher power more than makes up for the higher accuracy Psycho Cut provides (even though the latter even sounds better): not only it has roughly 14.50% more Base Power, but Gallade can actually abuse its nifty flinch chance and it doesn't miss as many KOs.
Here are a couple of calculations against some targets for our Psychic coverage:

Against MegaHeracross (not really the most relevant target, but just to show my point):
252 Atk Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 242-288 (77.8 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (MegaHera lives the hit and OHKOes with Pin Missile);
252 Atk Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 278-330 (89.3 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO(MegaHera is much less likely to live the hit, and Stealth Rock alone secures the KO);

Against a weakened Clefable (the Unaware variant):
252 Atk Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 120-142 (30.4 - 36%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 138-163 (35 - 41.3%) -- 75% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

(Psycho Cut has a chance to miss the KO against a <50% Clefable and allow it to regain health with Wish or hit you with Moonblast, while ZenH doesn't have as many issues)

These are the only calcs that spring out of my mind, but in the end I suppose it just comes down to whether one favors power against accuracy.

EDIT: Kinda ninja'd by silver97.

Thanks for the opinions. In most fantasy settings, I'd choose accuracy over power in any given situation since it's always been my style to go for precision and/or sneaky tactics; a single or few well placed hits versus brute forcing things. But sadly Pokemon has never really agreed with that policy (hello Focus Miss), and as such I found myself leaning more towards ZenButt more again anyways because of it. I'll just hope I stop at sucking with virtual dice rolls. Plus, it sorta mixes well with Bisharp being battle buddies with Gallade since it uses its own headbutting move as well.

Funny enough it actually *was* a weakened Clefable that I missed four times in a row on.

Question for you guys. Would an Adamant Nature work for M-Gallade? Because with the increased bulk and base 110 Speed, I would think if you give it maximum Speed investment, it would hit like a nuke and still outspeed most Pokes, aside from the occasional Scarfer.

Question for you guys. Would an Adamant Nature work for M-Gallade? Because with the increased bulk and base 110 Speed, I would think if you give it maximum Speed investment, it would hit like a nuke and still outspeed most Pokes, aside from the occasional Scarfer.
I wouldn't recommend it, 110 is a critical speed tier even with the new ORAS megas around. But if it rocks your boat you could go for a bulky approach with Adamant as a stall breaker, although Jolly is better in most cases to ease jump points on getting to a certain speed tier and freeing some points for distribution.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Actually, it does. In X and Y, I had a Lucario with Inner Focus, and whenever Fake Out was used on it, it didn't flinch. So Inner Focus does prevent Fake Out from causing flinching.
He's saying that, yes, you're immune to the flinching aspect of it, but you're not actually immune to the damage it causes.

Wait, Mega Gallade is BL2? As in, not good enough for UU? Is that right?
As in, the games just came out, the metagame is just starting to adjust, usage-based tier changes only happen every three months and hence the Megas have to wait till February for their usage-based tier placements, and bans and suspects are still being experimented with and debated.

I assure you, this thing's getting a straight OU come February.

Wait, Mega Gallade is BL2? As in, not good enough for UU? Is that right?
Things don't go down to BL tiers; being in BL2 means it was too good for RU and lacked the usage for UU. I believe when Showdown crashed a lot of the stored usage data was lost because there wasn't a back-up so a lot of the usage stats are very rough. There should actually be another update in January. You can find more details here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-usage-based-tier-update-december-2014.3523339/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)