Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

Don't know what to say anymore.
Hatching three days straight and i finally hatching the FIFTH shiny Charmander.
And like it brothers, now it have 0 hp iv. God is toying with me.
Drop breeding altogether. I'm complete broke down now
The dream of having a perfect - or at least a good - Mega Charizard X of mine may never came true.

Last edited:
Congratulations! :D

Your total amount of eggs is the one that counts. For example, next time you can say that you hatched a shiny Squirtle in egg number 100. And then you write down your totals, in this case that would be:
Eggs hatched: 370
Shinies: 2

I hooe I make a little bit of sense with my babbling here. :')

What will you be going for next? I'm working on a shiny Caterpie.
Yea you made a lot of sense, thanks for clearing it up =D
My next pokemon is going to be a Poochyena for a pal of mine!

My 2nd Goal of 240 eggs has been reached. and on the 239th egg I hatched 1 shiny bulbasaur.
I am going to breed another 30 eggs so it isn't completely "biased". I think that's an alright number... But yeah my first masuda method shiny within 240 eggs! woop woop!
Edit: I successfully hatched 270 eggs now and one shiny was hatched in them.
And one question, do I continue on from this number even if I start breeding a different pokemon? or does it reset? (and yes I'll be using mm for the next pokemon i'm breeding)
I have breed another 120 eggs! This time of poochyena and surprisingly got 2 more shinies. #79 and #100 were shiny.
Personal egg total now: 390 eggs
Personal Shiny Total: 3 shiny pokemon

Ratio i think would be 1:130. emphasis on I think o3o

Total eggs hatched - 4660
Total number of shinies - 10

And unless ORAS has drastically changed some breeding mechanics, that concludes my breeding in XY. I'll participate if a similar thread becomes necessary for ORAS, of course. In the mean time, it's been fun doing this ;)

I have breed another 120 eggs! This time of poochyena and surprisingly got 2 more shinies. #79 and #100 were shiny.
Personal egg total now: 390 eggs
Personal Shiny Total: 3 shiny pokemon

Ratio i think would be 1:130. emphasis on I think o3o
Hatched alot more eggs in hopes of a shiny treecko for oras when i get it o3o
Personal Egg Total: 540 Eggs
Personal Shiny Total: Still 3 shinies
Rate is 1:180

Moving on to ORAS soon, but wanted to hatch a shiny protean froakie in X/Y first.

I have the shiny charm, and oval charm.

Currently breeding: Ditto (Japanese) + Froakie (NA, female, protean)

Results so far:

Batch 1, 120 eggs: 0 shinies
Batch 2, 120 eggs: 0 shinies
Batch 3, 120 eggs: 0 shinies
Batch 4, 120 eggs: 0 shinies
Batch 5, 120 eggs: 1 shiny

Tally: 600 eggs hatched, 1 shiny

Froakie: Timid, Torrent (sigh...), x/31/31/31/31/31

Last edited:
Ok, gunna keep track of more eggs here since I've decided to breed some more Bulbasaur for the heck of it. I'm just going to keep track of how many I breed before I stop each day rather than attempt to reach a number goal, since my goal isn't to get shinies anyway so I won't stop because I get one. Every last one of these Bulbasaur (with the possible exception of a 6IV Chlorophyll Bulbasaur for better breeding) is going to be put on the Wonder Trade. If you ever come across a Bulbasaur or Bulbasaur line with the nickname "Toadflax", it probably came from me :P.

Today: 30 Eggs hatched
0 shinies.

P.S. My name is mispelled on the spreadsheet. Not a big deal but I thought I'd point out the error :P.

With the new games being out, this thread has slowed down a great deal. I will continue to check it every so often, if you need to get ahold of me sooner you can pm me and ill get it on my phone. The sheet has been updated. We are at 71% complete of our goal, with 358,639 eggs hatched and sitting at shiny rate of 1:508.

So is it safe to asume that it works, right? I used to follow this thread months ago but when I finally got my shiny charm I completely forgot about it.

It would be a safe assumption to believe that shiny charm increases the odds from 3/2048 to 4/2048? Sorry if it is already answered or debated, I stopped following this thread 50 pages ago.

Updating my total: 1400 eggs (adding another 500 since my last report)
Shiny total: 0
One last update, OR is more interesting now than breeding, but I counted all these eggs, and it's kinda a shame to waste the data...

Total: 3150 eggs
Shinies: 0

That's right, over three thousand eggs, and not a single shiny whatsoever >:|
I probably screwed your data up a little...

It's strange. I can only play OR for a while before going back to Y to breed again. May be the charm of breeding really attract me
And i got two shiny today, too. How wonderful
Egg hatch: 27990 eggs
Shiny got: 52
Personal rate: ~1/538
Lasted member: Cyndaquil (got him in 20 eggs or less)

So just wondering if now that there are 2 Day Care in ORAS is the MM+SC chance for each one or does the PRNG go to the next egg regardless as to which one generates it?

Aaaand updating again

100/3000: Magikarps. No shiny.
200/3000: Totodile. No shiny.
300/3000: Going to hatch shuppets once i finish with em. No shiny
400/3000: Mixed. No shiny
500/3000: Treecko. No shiny
600/3000: Treecko. No shiny

I really want a perfect HP Fire female so even if I have gotten very near I'll keep on trying.

Aaaand updating again

100/3000: Magikarps. No shiny.
200/3000: Totodile. No shiny.
300/3000: Going to hatch shuppets once i finish with em. No shiny
400/3000: Mixed. No shiny
500/3000: Treecko. No shiny
600/3000: Treecko. No shiny

I really want a perfect HP Fire female so even if I have gotten very near I'll keep on trying.
Breeding shiny with desired HP using MM is very hard and required a lot of luck. Good luck to you then

Last edited:
Haha, this is obviously way late but this will bother me for a long time. It doesn't matter when you stop, you don't have to hatch a thousand because the eggs don't have memory. If hatching a shiny is 1/1000 and you get it on your first try, hatching another on your next try is 1/1000. You can stop whenever you want.

Haha, this is obviously way late but this will bother me for a long time. It doesn't matter when you stop, you don't have to hatch a thousand because the eggs don't have memory. If hatching a shiny is 1/1000 and you get it on your first try, hatching another on your next try is 1/1000. You can stop whenever you want.
Sorry, but this is wrong. The shiny rate is , if you say, 1/1000, do not mean you will get exactly 1 shiny for every 1000 eggs you hatch. This is a chance that you get for hacthing every eggs. It mean that you can get some more, or none at all, but the average is 1/1000. The eggs may hatch shiny at the 1st, 2st or 100st, it partly depend on your luck as well. I can say this because i hatched more than 30000 eggs now

Sorry, but this is wrong. The shiny rate is , if you say, 1/1000, do not mean you will get exactly 1 shiny for every 1000 eggs you hatch. This is a chance that you get for hacthing every eggs. It mean that you can get some more, or none at all, but the average is 1/1000. The eggs may hatch shiny at the 1st, 2st or 100st, it partly depend on your luck as well. I can say this because i hatched more than 30000 eggs now
That's what he was saying.

Do we know if the odds have changed in OR yet?
According to serebii.net the shiny charm in ORAS has the same description as X/Y so I would assume it'll be the same and supposedly have no effect on breeding. But I dont believe anyone has actually gotten the charm in the game yet to really know :/
Is testing still going on? I'll be getting shiny charm in OR soon and as soon as I do can start hatching
Im not sure if we are going to test the rate for ORAS yet. If we do im sure another thread and sheet will have to be created to do so

According to serebii.net the shiny charm in ORAS has the same description as X/Y so I would assume it'll be the same and supposedly have no effect on breeding. But I dont believe anyone has actually gotten the charm in the game yet to really know :/

Im not sure if we are going to test the rate for ORAS yet. If we do im sure another thread and sheet will have to be created to do so
So does this mean that there is no change with the Shiny Charm? I'm not sure but if that's the case wouldn't it be ≈ 0.2% with just either MM or the Shiny Charm?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)