ORAS UU Viability Ranking Thread M2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for a Mega Swampert rise. It covers a lot, if not all the tier with Ice Punch, EQ, and Waterfall, freeing up a moveslot for Rain Dance, SR, or even Roar. Mega Swampert deserves A or A+ imo.

Also, I'm not really sure where to put this (I'm kinda new to the forums :P) but if Trevenant is so ridiculously bad in UU shouldn't it just be dropped to RU lol
You can thank low ladder for keeping Trevenant up -_-

B → B+
I've been using Honchkrow a lot lately and it always served me well. Now yes, it does have flaws in its below average speed, mediocre defenses, a Stealth Rock weakness, other priority users (despite having a strong priority move itself in Sucker Punch), and its tendency to over rely on Sucker Punch to mitigate its speed issues. The reason why it should rise? NOTHING SWITCHES IN EXCEPT MEGA AMPHAROS AND MEGA AGGRON (Cresselia to an extent)! It has an amazing movepool that allows it to cover would-be counters like Rhyperior and Empoleon with moves such as Superpower and Heat Wave. It even gets Pursuit to trap slower Psychics such as Slowking (a relevant threat in the current meta), or if you want, you could run a set consisting of Substitute and Roost to last longer along with its Dual STAB at the cost of some coverage as it also prevents Honchkrow from getting revenge killed. Even if Honchkrow can't sweep by itself, it can use its powerful wallbreaking capabilities to wear down checks that it may or may not share with teammates, bulky waters in particular appreciate Honchkrow's ability to remove non-substitute Heliolisk, especially Mega Blastoise since it supports Honchkrow by getting rid of Rocks, Bird Jesus (Mega Pidgeot), Lord Zap (Mega Amphy), and Anti-Offense (Mega Aero) also appreciate Honchkrow wearing down their checks. Below are some calcs of its power.

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heliolisk: 305-360 (115 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO, only other bird that can hit Heliolisk and OHKO before getting hit is Aerodactyl.

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 406-478 (109.1 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 218-257 (50.3 - 59.3%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, technically Rhyperior can switch in once but without reliable recovery, teammates have no trouble killing it.

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Slowking: 361-429 (91.8 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Slowking: 270-320 (68.7 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Slowking: 182-218 (46.3 - 55.4%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, Slowking is forced to play mind games with Honchkrow and one mistake will end it.
Oh you beat me to it. I was literally going to type right now about Honchkrow moving up. I think its greatest asset is the ability to fire off a powerful pursuit. If a choiced chandelure is locked into shadow ball or energy ball its a ensured kill with honchkrow leaving room for other things on your team to set up and sweep such as mono attacking snorlax. plus you get the kill and then you get moxie boost for the next mon. Plus one kills Aero and Pidge in one hit. Brave bird at plus one is incredibly scary if not faster. Plus we are in a meta that favors powerful flying attacks and what honch cant hit he can with super power such as Empoleon or mega aggron (which pretty much walls this thing). Also 252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 278-329 (77.2 - 91.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock. Mixed Heat wave isnt too bad either.

Some downfalls of Honch is that it has to depends on some mind games to be really effective. Playing it safe is fine but it loses some sweep potential. For Example, lets say choice specs chandy went for fire blast and killed a poke on your team. You bring in honch. Sucker kills and pursuit kills. You need this thing dead because it 2hkos the rest of your team. He probably knows you have the pursuit... People like security. They like to be ensured. That's why we use thunderbolt over Thunder. Honch is a high risk high reward. Because of this I dont believe is will ever be A rank but it certainly deserves B+.

I'll have more info later and some common situations in the meta that honch helps out with. Maybe make a montage.

Last edited:
Umm...I see a problem. Trevanant, a top tier Pokemon in the UU meta game, isn't in S rank...obviously with it's a great defensive mon with stellar defenses in the 80's and with unmatched speed and unbelievable power in horn leech, this thing clearly needs a rise...

Ahem, now that we're being serious. Why is mega absol still in B+. It's only a decent mon at best and that's when we're not accounting for fighting types and scald burns. Not only this, but mega absol takes up your mega slot. You're much better leaving dark type stab with either honchkrow or krook so you can run another mega like mega bird or megadactyl. Honestly, we need him lowered to at least around B or something. He's just not really a b+ threat anymore imo

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah in all honesty as bad as I think mega scept is it is still more useful than Mabsol so it should really move down as well, other megas are just far too good right now for you to just waste a mega slot on a mediocre mon at best. On the topic of megas, Swampert probs should rise considering how it has great strength and outstanding natural bulk plus it can perform a rocker role or a late game sweeper utilizing rain.

As much as i love Clawitzer, it's just outclassed by Mega Blastoise except in terms of power
One thing you have to remember is that Clawitzer doesn't take up a mega slot like Mega Blastoise does.
B → B+
I've been using Honchkrow a lot lately and it always served me well. Now yes, it does have flaws in its below average speed, mediocre defenses, a Stealth Rock weakness, other priority users (despite having a strong priority move itself in Sucker Punch), and its tendency to over rely on Sucker Punch to mitigate its speed issues. The reason why it should rise? NOTHING SWITCHES IN EXCEPT MEGA AMPHAROS AND MEGA AGGRON (Cresselia to an extent)! It has an amazing movepool that allows it to cover would-be counters like Rhyperior and Empoleon with moves such as Superpower and Heat Wave. It even gets Pursuit to trap slower Psychics such as Slowking (a relevant threat in the current meta), or if you want, you could run a set consisting of Substitute and Roost to last longer along with its Dual STAB at the cost of some coverage as it also prevents Honchkrow from getting revenge killed. Even if Honchkrow can't sweep by itself, it can use its powerful wallbreaking capabilities to wear down checks that it may or may not share with teammates, bulky waters in particular appreciate Honchkrow's ability to remove non-substitute Heliolisk, especially Mega Blastoise since it supports Honchkrow by getting rid of Rocks, Bird Jesus (Mega Pidgeot), Lord Zap (Mega Amphy), and Anti-Offense (Mega Aero) also appreciate Honchkrow wearing down their checks. Below are some calcs of its power.

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heliolisk: 305-360 (115 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO, only other bird that can hit Heliolisk and OHKO before getting hit is Aerodactyl.

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 406-478 (109.1 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 218-257 (50.3 - 59.3%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, technically Rhyperior can switch in once but without reliable recovery, teammates have no trouble killing it.

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Slowking: 361-429 (91.8 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Slowking: 270-320 (68.7 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Slowking: 182-218 (46.3 - 55.4%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, Slowking is forced to play mind games with Honchkrow and one mistake will end it.
You have to remember that in the instances where Honchkrow is using Superpower, that it kinda has to switch out next turn because of the attack drop. I still agree with you though

Last edited:
Depending on the kind of type coverage you want to use with Clawitzer, you can also use U-turn to make it work as a bit of a pivot. Switch in on Entei locked into Stone Edge or something and U-turn out of the obvious Florges switch-in.

Recommendation:

Weezing C->B-/B

Weezing has gained a valuable niche in the current meta. It has always been a decent physical wall, with levitate ridding itself from the ground weakness and a strong physical defense. This allows it to counter Mamoswine, one of the new most popular wallbreakers in the tier. If the opponent has one physical wallbreaker and it's Mamo, what use is it if it can't break your physical wall? With access to WoW, Pain Split and Black Sludge recovery (which mitigates tricks), Weezing has decent staying power. In addition to STAB Sludge Bomb, Weezing can run Toxic Spikes, one of the premier ways of checking balance and stall teams. Fire Blast is another option which allows it to hit Forretress, but frankly I don't think it's terribly good in UU. Finally, Weezing is a physical wall that Slurpuff doesn't have an SE option against, and can OHKO after Belly Drum (potentially) so long as it has more than 70% to take a +6 Return:

0 SpA Weezing Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Slurpuff: 216-254 (70.5 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 252 Atk Slurpuff Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 204-240 (61 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

These anti-meta factors definitely point toward a growing use and viability of Gen 1s insane poison balloon.

Depending on the kind of type coverage you want to use with Clawitzer, you can also use U-turn to make it work as a bit of a pivot. Switch in on Entei locked into Stone Edge or something and U-turn out of the obvious Florges switch-in.
Seems too situational to be any good. Yes its unique other than being outclassed but overall its easily revenged and cant take hits too well.

Recommendation:

Weezing C->B-/B

Weezing has gained a valuable niche in the current meta. It has always been a decent physical wall, with levitate ridding itself from the ground weakness and a strong physical defense. This allows it to counter Mamoswine, one of the new most popular wallbreakers in the tier. If the opponent has one physical wallbreaker and it's Mamo, what use is it if it can't break your physical wall? With access to WoW, Pain Split and Black Sludge recovery (which mitigates tricks), Weezing has decent staying power. In addition to STAB Sludge Bomb, Weezing can run Toxic Spikes, one of the premier ways of checking balance and stall teams. Fire Blast is another option which allows it to hit Forretress, but frankly I don't think it's terribly good in UU. Finally, Weezing is a physical wall that Slurpuff doesn't have an SE option against, and can OHKO after Belly Drum (potentially) so long as it has more than 70% to take a +6 Return:

0 SpA Weezing Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Slurpuff: 216-254 (70.5 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 252 Atk Slurpuff Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 204-240 (61 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

These anti-meta factors definitely point toward a growing use and viability of Gen 1s insane poison balloon.
Sry for double post but Im on a phone.

This is very interesting. All I know about weezing is Heracross counter and WoW. With fighting spam in Uu I guess it can be useful. I have always shied away because of its lack of recover and its weak stab. I'll test but I think it will only provide a few small niches as there are already some great poison types to take on fighting spam... but none take on mamo.

I could understand the logic behind Weezing rising because it definitely is a good Mamoswine check as well as appreciated the departure of Alakazam (as well as the improvement of the fighting types that Alakazam scared away). However it still requires heavy team support and has a bunch of flaws, the main one being its limited lifespan plus being very passive/slow with exploitable stat spread and not doing much to the mon infront of it. It definitely still has big issues, and imo should stay out of B, and since C+ doesnt exist for some reason it should prob just stay in C.

I for one, Would like to nominate Sceptile-Mega for A-/A Tier. Currently: B+ Tier.

Hear me out on this one. I may be somewhat biased as I've been using Mega Sceptile a LOT recently, and with the right moveset, the right team support (And even then, it can function VERY well on it's own), it can be a dominating force on the field. It outspeeds almost every mon in UU, holding a blistering base 145 speed (With the only exceptions being Mega Aerodactyl and some Scarf users), an incredibly respectable 145 Special Attack, and a base 110 Attack, which may not seem all THAT great, but then you remember it's access to Swords Dance and a large physical Movepool.

I can hear all the haters crying out now: "BUT WAIT! WHAT ABOUT MAMO?! WHAT ABOUT MEGA OBAMA?!"
First of all: Not counters.
252 SpA Mega Sceptile Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mamoswine: 450-530 (125.3 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Mega Abomasnow: 272-322 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

"Oh, but what about Florges?! What about Mega Beedrill?! What about Tentacruel?!"

First of all, Florges doesn't counter SD Mega Sceptile if it already has an SD up.
+2 252 Atk Mega Sceptile Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 268-316 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Second of all, Tentacruel gets OHKO'd by an SD Boosted EQ
+2 252 Atk Mega Sceptile Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 368-434 (101.9 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And thirdly, Mega Beedrill has the exact same speed stat as Mega Sceptile, leaving this one a draw, but on the first turn of Mega Evolution, Sceptile would indeed be faster than Beedrill, so Mega Sceptile beats him with either set there, unless Protect of course, but then it's a coin flip.
Yes, true, there are things that will ALWAYS counter Mega Sceptile, such as Offensive Whimsicott, which I've seen run around a bit, and Crobat, who absolutely LOVES to shit on Sceptile's day, as well as Assault Vest Slowking, but honestly, Mega Sceptile is too useful of an Offensive mon to be JUST B+ Tier. He forces out so many switches, can set up, sweep, etc. So I don't see why Mega Sceptile can't be A-/A Tier material.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
I don't think Honchkrow deserves a rise because it is so god damn slow and one mispredict can devastate it.
I for one, Would like to nominate Sceptile-Mega for A-/A Tier. Currently: B+ Tier.

Hear me out on this one. I may be somewhat biased as I've been using Mega Sceptile a LOT recently, and with the right moveset, the right team support (And even then, it can function VERY well on it's own), it can be a dominating force on the field. It outspeeds almost every mon in UU, holding a blistering base 145 speed (With the only exceptions being Mega Aerodactyl and some Scarf users), an incredibly respectable 145 Special Attack, and a base 110 Attack, which may not seem all THAT great, but then you remember it's access to Swords Dance and a large physical Movepool.

I can hear all the haters crying out now: "BUT WAIT! WHAT ABOUT MAMO?! WHAT ABOUT MEGA OBAMA?!"
252 SpA Mega Sceptile Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mamoswine: 450-530 (125.3 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Mega Abomasnow: 272-322 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

"Oh, but what about Florges?! What about Mega Beedrill?! What about Tentacruel?!"

First of all, Florges doesn't counter SD Mega Sceptile if it already has an SD up.
+2 252 Atk Mega Sceptile Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 268-316 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Mega Sceptile Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 368-434 (101.9 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And thirdly, Mega Beedrill has the exact same speed stat as Mega Sceptile, leaving this one a draw, but on the first turn of Mega Evolution, Sceptile would indeed be faster than Beedrill, so Mega Sceptile beats him with either set there, unless Protect of course, but then it's a coin flip.
Yes, true, there are things that will ALWAYS counter Mega Sceptile, such as Offensive Whimsicott, which I've seen run around a bit, and Crobat, who absolutely LOVES to shit on Sceptile's day, as well as Assault Vest Slowking, but honestly, Mega Sceptile is too useful of an Offensive mon to be JUST B+ Tier. He forces out so many switches, can set up, sweep, etc. So I don't see why Mega Sceptile can't be A-/A Tier material.
The SD Sets do not check bulky waters very well since scald burns cripple it and tbh are outclassed by M-Abomasnow. 110 attack is also meh for a physically attacking mega sweeper. The calc for Florges is telling since it can't even OHKO one of its checks at +2.

Also all Beedrills run protect so it will always face a 50/50 with it

1. nobody is tryna say that mamo and aboma switch in to scept at all, but they check it and severely limit its effectiveness in ice shard.

old arguments about this that pretty much answer everything but the SD argument are here and here

2, on SD: between being horribly outclassed by mega aboma, spamming low BP moves, being susceptible to the main forms of priority in the tier, and facing competition from other megas as setup sweepers, SD fails to deliver as much as it could.

I don't think Honchkrow deserves a rise because it is so god damn slow and one mispredict can devastate it.

The SD Sets do not check bulky waters very well since scald burns cripple it and tbh are outclassed by M-Abomasnow. 110 attack is also meh for a physically attacking mega sweeper. The calc for Florges is telling since it can't even OHKO one of its checks at +2.

Also all Beedrills run protect so it will always face a 50/50 with it
1. nobody is tryna say that mamo and aboma switch in to scept at all, but they check it and severely limit its effectiveness in ice shard.

old arguments about this that pretty much answer everything but the SD argument are here and here

2, on SD: between being horribly outclassed by mega aboma, spamming low BP moves, being susceptible to the main forms of priority in the tier, and facing competition from other megas as setup sweepers, SD fails to deliver as much as it could.
Both statements are true, yes, but my point being that Mega Sceptile does it's job very well and I think that it deserves more recognition for this reason. Also, Scald burns are random, but yes, relevant. Burns would cripple Physical Mega Sceptile, however it can still deal with the likes of Suicune even with the SD Set, being able to OHKO it at +2
+2 252 Atk Mega Sceptile Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 342-404 (84.6 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

But yes, both statements are true, from each of you. SD Sceptile is outclassed by MegaSnow, but at the same time, it still works. Mega Sceptile can be almost any type of Offensive threat you want it to be, and it can run that role rather effectively. Yes, some mons as already stated do the job better, but Mega Sceptile can do ALL of those jobs, sometimes even at once. That was my only point.

Both statements are true, yes, but my point being that Mega Sceptile does it's job very well and I think that it deserves more recognition for this reason. Also, Scald burns are random, but yes, relevant. Burns would cripple Physical Mega Sceptile, however it can still deal with the likes of Suicune even with the SD Set, being able to OHKO it at +2
+2 252 Atk Mega Sceptile Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 342-404 (84.6 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

But yes, both statements are true, from each of you. SD Sceptile is outclassed by MegaSnow, but at the same time, it still works. Mega Sceptile can be almost any type of Offensive threat you want it to be, and it can run that role rather effectively. Yes, some mons as already stated do the job better, but Mega Sceptile can do ALL of those jobs, sometimes even at once. That was my only point.
I'll concede the point that SD has a niche of being a faster grass type that can sweep with SD, but ultimately I feel like it has too much holding it back right now for a rise.

I'll concede the point that SD has a niche of being a faster grass type that can sweep with SD, but ultimately I feel like it has too much holding it back right now for a rise.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. It was just something I figured I'd put on the forums, as I've been playing around with Mega Sceptile lately and he's put in a TON of work with both sets on my teams.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heracross from A rank to A+ rank

This thing is an absolute wallbreaker and a monster, threatening balance and stall teams and creating huge holes in the team giving a chance for a cleaner to clean. This thing, with Guts, loves to be statused and break easily. The Banded set is dangerous, especially checking bulky waters, psychic, curselaxes and Mamoswine, hitting ridiculously hard and potentially break walls. The Toxic/Flame orb set with Swords Dance is another threat, having 0 switchins except for Granbull and FatMence. On the other hand, it has another great ability in Moxie. Although lesser known, it can be a great cleaner, given your team already has a wallbreaker, and can sweep lategame.

The reason it should be A+ rank is because of it's wallbreaking capabilities and the less known cleaning, as well as being able to check Mamoswine, Suicune, Krookodile, Snorlax. The only downside to this thing is it's speed and it's somewhat frailty. But it's almost in every teams which shows how dangerous this thing is in the current Metagame and that's why I vouch it for A+ rank.

We were talking about this on irc for a bit before it got stupid, but I dont think Mega Sceptile should jump up any tiers. If anything it should drop from B+.. the sword's dance set comes with a large amount of 4MSS- personally i dont really see it as anything past a lure set because Mega Sceptile is sword's dancing off a very unremarkable 110 base stat, is highly prone to revenge killing and still struggles with bulky mons due to disappointing BP on physical moves. Not to mention that checks to the special set become even more successful at checking the sword's dance set, with even spd forretress and umbreon both loving the non-inclusion of focus blast and hitting for 73% and 145% with gyro ball and +2 foul play respectively. The only thing that SD Mega Sceptile does much better than regular mega sceptile is lure in florges and ko with +2 iron tail, but even that is iffy when florges ohkos back with uninvested moonblast, and iffy accuracy on iron tail paired with sceptile's perhaps unfortunate STAB combo which leaves him in heavy requirement for coverage moves. He also can boost to take out suicune, but ice beam is common and will destroy sceptile and even burns can deal with the physical set. uninvested seed bomb is not a 2hko, which is also depressing. hopefully we can put physical mega sceptile to rest as not only does it find it hard to find places to boost, it also is forced out with ease and is easily dealt with after the initial surprise factor- plus sceptile has only gotten worse with the introduction of mamoswine who heavily checks him, and mandibuzz who is a straight-up counter. Alakazam and Hippowdon also left and these are two mons which mega sceptile was arguably good against, hitting hippo super effectively and outspeeding alakazam.

I dunno if Mega Sceptile should drop to B because it still performs okay as a sweeper and mixed wallbreaker and has 2 4x resists and an immunity but it is kinda underwhelming, takes up a mega slot and arguably also competes with two very big contenders for the "dragon slot" on your team since hydreigon and salamence are really great atm and it doesnt need great to stack such heavy ice weaknesses with mamo in such a good place (or just in general..).

EDIT: after testing some more, i dont even think the SD set is that good as a florges lure since a mixed set will ko florges switchins after leaf storm and SR damage with iron tail with around 90 atk evs anyway. So i really dont think the SD set has much value at all

Last edited:
We were talking about this on irc for a bit before it got stupid, but I dont think Mega Sceptile should jump up any tiers. If anything it should drop from B+.. the sword's dance set comes with a large amount of 4MSS- personally i dont really see it as anything past a lure set because Mega Sceptile is sword's dancing off a very unremarkable 110 base stat, is highly prone to revenge killing and still struggles with bulky mons due to disappointing BP on physical moves. Not to mention that checks to the special set become even more successful at checking the sword's dance set, with even spd forretress and umbreon both loving the non-inclusion of focus blast and hitting for 73% and 145% with gyro ball and +2 foul play respectively. The only thing that SD Mega Sceptile does much better than regular mega sceptile is lure in florges and ko with +2 iron tail, but even that is iffy when florges ohkos back with uninvested moonblast, and iffy accuracy on iron tail paired with sceptile's perhaps unfortunate STAB combo which leaves him in heavy requirement for coverage moves. He also can boost to take out suicune, but ice beam is common and will destroy sceptile and even burns can deal with the physical set. uninvested seed bomb is not a 2hko, which is also depressing. hopefully we can put physical mega sceptile to rest as not only does it find it hard to find places to boost, it also is forced out with ease and is easily dealt with after the initial surprise factor- plus sceptile has only gotten worse with the introduction of mamoswine who heavily checks him, and mandibuzz who is a straight-up counter. Alakazam and Hippowdon also left and these are two mons which mega sceptile was arguably good against, hitting hippo super effectively and outspeeding alakazam.

I dunno if Mega Sceptile should drop to B because it still performs okay as a sweeper and mixed wallbreaker but it is kinda underwhelming, takes up a mega slot and arguably also competes with two very big contenders for the "dragon slot" on your team since hydreigon and salamence are really great atm and it doesnt need great to stack such heavy ice weaknesses with mamo in such a good place (or just in general..).
Yeah, I see what you mean. It was just a thought on my part since nobody seems to plan for Mega Sceptile, so I have an easy time blowing through them with it. I see your points now though. I still honestly think it should raise to A rank, but yeah. Now, if only it got Nasty Plot.....

I dunno about Weezing, it's one of my faves mons but without recovery I find it just gets worn down so so easily, even when using pain split. It's a pretty shaky mamo check considering it takes like 48% switching in on life orb Icicle Crash after rocks, and roar is a really prominent move in this meta since it's used commonly by Suicune, Swampert and Mega Aggron, making wish less reliable in healing it up than ever. I think it fits nicely in C with Gourgeist-Super as a defensive mon, who checks similar stuff through greater bulk and similar resists but suffers with weaknesses to dark and ice, and instead has reliable recovery, foul play, leech seed and can spinblock pretty well.

I dunno about Weezing, it's one of my faves mons but without recovery I find it just gets worn down so so easily, even when using pain split. It's a pretty shaky mamo check considering it takes like 48% switching in on life orb Icicle Crash after rocks, and roar is a really prominent move in this meta since it's used commonly by Suicune, Swampert and Mega Aggron, making wish less reliable in healing it up than ever. I think it fits nicely in C with Gourgeist-Super as a defensive mon, who checks similar stuff through greater bulk and similar resists but suffers with weaknesses to dark and ice, and instead has reliable recovery, foul play, leech seed and can spinblock pretty well.
What I have found that its a really nice support mon that pops in and out of situations. You dont have to use it as a wall but rather nice hazard and status support. My team that is built around it is doing pretty well. The only time I was dissapointed was when it died to a mega sharpedo crunch at 52%. Im still not sure where I stand. Ganna keep testing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)