Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Would Durant work in OU?

I'm pretty desperate for a pretty decent Scarfer who can Rkill a lot of things sorta easily while checking Fairies as well.
durant is a niche option that might work for some teams, but scizor is almost always better.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I need more Physical attackers so Heatran is out of the question.

Excadrill compound weaknesses (like Heatran) that's already on Gliscor who's the part of the backbone. Plus the team is more heavily offensive (Hoopa-U, AV Melo, MGardevoir, Gliscor) which means I already lack consistent SI's to Water-types and Ice-types to an extent. Especially Physical Waters and Ice's.

After narrowing down what threatens my team the most a Scarfer is pretty mandatory. My team has problems with Offensive teams and Durant remedies it pretty nicely that other Scarfer can't really dare to compare to. Mega Lopunny, Faries, Gengar, and a host of more that can't be very easily handled by slapping on a Scizor.
scarf scizor is actually a set that works on teams a lot because of scarfturn, strong STAB priority, trapping in pursuit, and solid coverage options in superpower and knock off.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Yeah but it's speed tier isn't up to scruff, I have no need for Pursuit trapping, and the difference in power between the two is (since Scizor is forced to run Jolly and Durant can run Adamant) is definitely phenomenal.

252+ Atk Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mega Altaria: 282-332 (79.8 - 94%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mega Altaria: 146-174 (41.3 - 49.2%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The only downside it has is that Hustle lowers accuracy which is actually barely a problem imho
if your team really needs something for that role, then you can use it, i did say it is a niche option, so if durant works better for your team, than it might fit on your team better than scarf scizor.

Last edited:
I'll be blunt and say that Durant would hardly help your case, because of its pitful bulk, mediocre coverage and costant miss chance. Something that would be far more helpful for your team would probably be Klefki, which can easily switch on those threats and paralyze them. I'd also advise to switch your mega, since Gardevoir is quite redundant with Hoopa on the same team. Venusaur is probably the best one, because it also deals very well with the likes of Diancie and Lopunny. Finally, I would switch Gliscor to Rocky Helmet LandoT or Garchomp, since they handle Talonflame better, and complete the deal with a scarfer like Keldeo.

I'm planning to build a Sand Team, and I would like to know which Pokémon could benefit sand better, as well and which Pokémon could threaten sand.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
I'm planning to build a Sand Team, and I would like to know which Pokémon could benefit sand better, as well and which Pokémon could threaten sand.
excadrill and chomp are the best sand abusers and bulky waters generally threaten sand.

excadrill and chomp are the best sand abusers and bulky waters generally threaten sand.
Adding on to this, Hippowdon and Tyranitar tend to be the most commonly-used setters, since they set it upon switch-in and can hold a Soft Sand to give you eight turns. Not to mention Hippo appreciates the SpD boost, being a wall and all. Whoops, it's not a Rock-type.

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
The best setters are Tyranitar and Hippowdon, while Excadrill is the best OU sand abuser, while you can use Stoutland too but it's not that great. Other abusers include Rock types that get an Sdef boost from the sand such as Tyranitar, Mega Diancie and Mega Aerodactyl. Another abuser is Mega Garchomp, which shreds defensive cores under the sand because its retardedly powerful.

Pokemon that threaten Sand are usually Water or Fighting types such as Azumarill, Breloom, Conkeldurr. The best offensive answers are usually powerful priority moves because Offense doesn't usually run mons that can safely switch into Excadrill
Defensive Pokemon that can beat sand are the likes of Rotom-W, Skarmory, Slowbro, Bronzong. Mainly bulky mons that are immune to Earthquake or can handle EQs pretty well outside of SD Excadrill variants.
The better pokemon that pair with Sand are usually Dragon, Grass and Electric types for water types. Think stuff like Celebi / Serperior / Shaymin for Grass types and Raikou / Thundurus / Mega Manectric for electric types. while Latis / Mega Altaria for Dragons.

Adding on to this, Hippowdon and Tyranitar tend to be the most commonly-used setters, since they set it upon switch-in and can hold a Soft Sand to give you eight turns. Not to mention Hippo appreciates the SpD boost, being a wall and all.
Hippowdon doesn't get a spdef boost in sand. It's a trait exclusive of rock types.

Adding on to this, Hippowdon and Tyranitar tend to be the most commonly-used setters, since they set it upon switch-in and can hold a Soft Sand to give you eight turns. Not to mention Hippo appreciates the SpD boost, being a wall and all.
If I'm not mistaken, it's only the Rock-type that gets the SpD boost under sand, so Hippo shouldn't get it.

EDIT: got ninja'd, and thanks for the answers, guys!

Hippowdon doesn't get a spdef boost in sand. It's a trait exclusive of rock types.
Fixed, my bad.

EDIT: Couple of more questions:

1. Whatever happened to CritDra? Did people figure out how to play around it, or did some kind of novelty wear off, or what?
  2. I've seen it said, in a couple of places, that certain special attackers "don't care about burns". Um, wouldn't something that puts you on an eight-turn timer (especially without recovery or cleric support) actually matter? Even if you're hitting just as hard, and even if you have eight turns but only need five to finish the game, you could still end up revenge killed by something that you could otherwise handle at a higher HP, for example.

Last edited:
EDIT: Couple of more questions:

1. Whatever happened to CritDra? Did people figure out how to play around it, or did some kind of novelty wear off, or what?
  2. I've seen it said, in a couple of places, that certain special attackers "don't care about burns". Um, wouldn't something that puts you on an eight-turn timer (especially without recovery or cleric support) actually matter? Even if you're hitting just as hard, and even if you have eight turns but only need five to finish the game, you could still end up revenge killed by something that you could otherwise handle at a higher HP, for example.
1. People realized that between Kingdra's slow speed and mediocre bulk, the set just wasn't very good. It was rather easy to revenge kill and didn't have much it could even set up on.
2. Obviously nothing really likes being burned besides stuff with Magic Guard and other such abilities. It's just faster to say that to emphasize that a Special attacker cares much less about burns than physical attackers since physical attackers suffer from the extra debuff. It's like when people say that slow mons don't care about Paralysis: everything can be parahaxed to death, but slow mons care a lot less about the speed loss than fast mons

I've been on Smogon for a bit but I'm curious, what's widely considered the best playstyle in OU?
The answer you generally will get is bulky offense or balance, but it really depends upon the metagame. XY OU for instance placed more of an emphasis on balance, but ORAS, especially with Manaphy and Hoopa running around is considered to be a more offensive meta. That's not to say that stall and balance don't do well, as a well built team can flourish no matter what the play style, just that offense is used more.

Darklatias92 I know this is quite late, but I've found that Sand Veil Dry Skin Heliolisk is nice on sand teams to break Waters. (thanks Sanger Zonvolt)

Waluigi The Anime To my knowledge, it's simply because of it's offensive presence.

Also, what's the exact set for Offensive Stealth Rock Landorus, the A+ ranked set on the Sets Viability Rankings?

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Darklatias92 I know this is quite late, but I've found that Sand Veil Heliolisk is nice on sand teams to break Waters.

Waluigi The Anime To my knowledge, it's simply because of it's offensive presence.

Also, what's the exact set for Offensive Stealth Rock Landorus, the A+ ranked set on the Sets Viability Rankings?
Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand / Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Explosion
- Stone Edge / Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

There are a few variants of this, so run what you need.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
What'd be a good Physical addition to this a core of

Lead Chomp
MGardevoir
SD Bisharp

Assuming it's Hyper Offense?
Tailwind Talonflame could help Mgardevoir and Bisharp outspeed things as well as providing a mon that reliably beats skarm 1v1. (assuming chomp doesn't have fire blast)

What'd be a good Physical addition to this a core of

Lead Chomp
MGardevoir
SD Bisharp

Assuming it's Hyper Offense?
Considering the fact that things like M-Altaria, M-Diancie, Azumarill, M-Gardevoir, and other Fairy-types just blow past the core, I feel like Klefki is a good idea. Provides a nice cushion for the team, also gives Spikes support which Bisharp can abuse because opposing teams are pressured into Defogging them away. Thunder Wave slows down faster pokemon so that Bisharp and M-Gardevoir can fire off attacks without the danger of being outsped and OHKOed.

Would like to know how to fix a problem when using Smogon on my laptop. In this case, the text box that should appear ( pictured in the attachment) didn't show up so I couldn't make a post or quote or start a conversation. ( This is posted using my mobile ). Sorry if I didn't describe the problem properly

Attachments

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Would like to know how to fix a problem when using Smogon on my laptop. In this case, the text box that should appear ( pictured in the attachment) didn't show up so I couldn't make a post or quote or start a conversation. ( This is posted using my mobile ). Sorry if I didn't describe the problem properly
I'm pretty sure it's because your browser is out of date, the same thing happened to me on my laptop.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's not because of an out-of-date browser. I was on school WiFi the other day, using this same version of Google Chrome on my mac, and I still couldn't type anything. You can ask Creator of Chaos for evidence. Not sure how to fix it but I got off the school WiFi and went onto my home WiFi and it seemed to do the trick. Might be because you're using a restricted network or have a slow internet connection. Not really sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)