The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok really, what the fuck is going on in Mayoiga. I really hope things get put together quickly, because right now I cannot take it seriously. I really wanted to. The cast of characters are also super annoying, although I guess they accurately depict how actual people would react in this situation.

I knew Summer was looking good but that's even better than I was expecting

-Rewrite anime by basically the ideal team to adapt it
-new thing by the OPman author
-new thing by the Aria author
-Barakamon prequel
-Planetarian is supposed to be one of the better KEY things so I'm kinda interested
-sequels to Active Raid/Berserk/Souma/SDS, the latter two in particular were easily top 10 shonen anime
-Dogakobo doing a cute girl show
-Madhouse doing an LN harem
-Danganronpa anime that won't be spoiling its superior source material because it doesn't have any
-More Love Live

I watch mayoiga with the same mentality that I watch all 90s slasher films with, but just saying, the execute girl needs to die stat. Also why the hell is nobody pointing fingers at her?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tbf the only Mayoiga character I strictly dislike is that fucking torture-/execution-obsessed girl. Hopefully she'll die next 'cause fuck her. That said, I don't think that its her. She may be a complete psychopath, but she's not the killer. I don't think its Jack either, although there is still a possibility that its him considering that
he's the only one who was out in forest when that... thing appeared at the end of the latest episode. We can count out the main protagonist and deuteragonist because they both saw whatever it was appear.
Other than that, I'm stumped and a little confused by the plot tbh. Hopefully it ties itself up in the second half. The week's wait helps raise the tension a little at least.

Speaking of mysteries, the reason for attack in Haifuri no longer is one.
There is definitely a connection between the incident on the Harikaze and the events of episode 1, and the mutiny on the German ship. There may also be a connection with regards to the submarine attack. Something about that rodent seems to be setting people off, and I kinda want to know whether its a virus or something else.

Finally I just want to say that Seisen Cerberus is literally one of the most generic fantasy shōnens I've watched in a while. I really want it to do what Gurren Lagaan apparently does where the first few episodes are middling-bad at best and then it gets immensely better, but honestly this doesn't seem like the type of show that'll do that given how bad the writing is and how immensely boring the action is.

tbh I get why there's a lot of hate for Lovepon, but I like how insane she is; it's a lot more interesting than "ahm im fat i dont like moving" or "MEOW IM A FURRY WITH GUNS" or most of the other 20-something one-line characters.

Yeah, I was talking about shokugeki no soma, sorry for the confusion. Also here is one of my favorite pictures from this arc

Truly, the best girl.

Lovepon is a hero and a visionary. Every single character in Mayoiga deserves to be strapped up and flayed alive right away, and she's the only one sane enough to recognize this fact. Lovepon is the only reason I continue to allow Mari Okada to shovel processed garbage down my throat for 23 minutes each week.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Lovepon is a hero and a visionary. Every single character in Mayoiga deserves to be strapped up and flayed alive right away, and she's the only one sane enough to recognize this fact. Lovepon is the only reason I continue to allow Mari Okada to shovel processed garbage down my throat for 23 minutes each week.

I was actually looking for the new mayo-egg but couldn't find it. Thanks.

Go big or go home. Turn that 23 into 46 with Kiznaiver.

breh

強いだね
I forget if it was somebody posting in this thread that encouraged me to watch it or not, but Dennou Coil is a really good anime and I enjoyed it to the end. Maybe a bit drawn out, but it's like 50% slice of [digital] life and then the other 50% is "oddly serious for a cartoon about sixth graders". One of very few anime where I really have nothing objectively bad to say about it and definitely one I'd recommend.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
im not one to be all about the waifu thing

but the maids from re:zero are literally bae material

Goddamn, even after trimming a lot of fat, this list is huge. Anyway, at the end of the day, these are the shows I'm following weekly:

Bakuon: I might change my mind, but for now I get enough laughs per episode. I heard someone compare this show to Sabagebu from Summer 2014 and it stuck - the humor hits the same sweet spot, but without all the blood and violence. Not that I'm against blood and violence, just stating a difference, because they're the same style of humor deep down. That might convince some of you to give it a try.

Boku no Hero Academia: So there are a lot of ways to compare My Hero Academia to One Punch Man. Academia doesn't REALLY take its superhero setting seriously - they both have wacky-looking characters and quirks. But Academia DOES take serious turns, while OPM was a lot stronger at parody... and both still aren't that memorable, but that's okay. It promises a good watch and all the characters are endearing.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: It's Jojo. For people who haven't watched the first parts... you can still watch this. There are spoilers, but... meh, it's not super critical.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: My favorite of the season so far. It does suspense right (and how) and avoids a lot of pitfalls, so you get the occasional emotional moments and "ooh" "aahh" moments. It's not perfect by any means but I'm always up for Tetsuo's wild ride.

Kuromukuro: Think of a lot of inoffensive anime tropes, and mecha, and PA Works consistency, a layer of competence, and another layer of people putting some effort into making the show special. You can see it in bits and pieces. Point being, it's a curious show to follow and it ain't half bad.

Mayoiga: Opposite of Kuromukuro, it's by PA Works too but I already know what I'm getting into, that I won't remember it when it's over, and that I won't think too much of it when it's over. But it's entertaining. Special shoutout to Kiznaiver which didn't survive the watchlist because it's the same shit (Mari Okada-wise) but focuses on story over comedy, which makes it a total bore.

Sansha Sanyou: It was either this or Haifuri but this moe show is consistently more fun. I think it was written back in 2003 or something, which explains why it feels so fresh. And Dogakobo are gods of character expressionism and attention to detail.

Space Patrol Luluco: I actually don't think it's so rad but it's only 7 minutes so what the hell.

Good season.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
mayoigas actually not pa works, its just got pa works's most famous writers on board (shirobako + nagi/iroha writers are both working on it).

i agree on luluco though, after the first week it really has only been "OK." That first week was gold though.

None of the anime this season are 10/10 material but theres a lot of good shit so its a good season overall. My current watch list is:

tanaka-kun
jojo
phoenix wright
haifuri
netoge
joker game
luluco
sakamoto

and i really recommend tanaka-kun + haifuri, theyre both surprisingly good. joker game is interesting, netoge is hilarious as a "look how retarded this shit is + make jokes on irc" show, jojo is jojo, phoenix wright / luluco / sakamoto arent that good, i wouldnt tell people to pick them up but theyre not bad.

mayoigas actually not pa works, its just got pa works's most famous writers on board (shirobako + nagi/iroha writers are both working on it).

i agree on luluco though, after the first week it really has only been "OK." That first week was gold though.

None of the anime this season are 10/10 material but theres a lot of good shit so its a good season overall. My current watch list is:

tanaka-kun
jojo
phoenix wright
haifuri
netoge
joker game
luluco
sakamoto

and i really recommend tanaka-kun + haifuri, theyre both surprisingly good. joker game is interesting, netoge is hilarious as a "look how retarded this shit is + make jokes on irc" show, jojo is jojo, phoenix wright / luluco / sakamoto arent that good, i wouldnt tell people to pick them up but theyre not bad.
Totally forgot, yeah, Mayo is by Diomedea but Mizushima brought all the creative team from Shirobako along with him. Or so I tell myself because I keep thinking it's a P.A. Works show. Speaking of which, surprised you're not all over Kuromukuro. It's the next big 26-episode long P.A. show.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
im down to simply 16 shows

my favourites being; jojo, tanaka, assclass and mayoiga

mayoiga for entirely different reasons, of course

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Totally forgot, yeah, Mayo is by Diomedea but Mizushima brought all the creative team from Shirobako along with him. Or so I tell myself because I keep thinking it's a P.A. Works show. Speaking of which, surprised you're not all over Kuromukuro. It's the next big 26-episode long P.A. show.
as much as i loved nagi and shirobako, i actually didnt like episode 1 of hanairo at all, and besides i dont know if i can trust pa works after charlotte. i'll probably pick up kuromukuro after exams though since reviews are tentatively positive.

edit: while im here i may as well ask a question. after exams im getting together with some friends. they don't have a stigma against anime, but one of em gave NGNL a 10 on his MAL so thats the sort of taste im working with. is it a good idea to run through mayoiga with them? im going in blind so im trusting your judgment.

edit: while im here i may as well ask a question. after exams im getting together with some friends. they don't have a stigma against anime, but one of em gave NGNL a 10 on his MAL so thats the sort of taste im working with. is it a good idea to run through mayoiga with them? im going in blind so im trusting your judgment.
It might bore them. Like, I suspect it's a show you 'get' only after you're deep enough in the anime rabbit hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)