ASB Team Tournament Round 2

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ASB Team Tournament Redux

Those are the prizes yo

Hello and welcome one and all to the glorious return of the ASB Team Tournament *raucous cheering*! Almost four years ago came the tournament that would change the face of ASB, with 15 teams of three signing up for a chance at the then coveted Master Ball, fighting it out in glorious team destroying fashion. Long notorious for the quality of its matches, the rise of newcomers to the upper echelon of ASB, and the first instance of serious johning, the original team tournament was a sight to behold, with Team jassmashpwn triumphing in the finals over Team Cruel Brittania. In honour of that tournament, Birkal and myself return to bring you the highest quality of competition once more. This time the stakes are as high as ever, with not one but THREE legends being given out as prizes. Long awaited in ASB, you have the opportunity to win your team the Kalos trio: Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde. With that being said, let's get to the rules!

Teams will be comprised of three members each competing against another team in three battles. Each member will participate in one of the following formats.
  • 3v3 Singles
  • 4v4 Doubles
  • 5v5 Triples (Positioning: Off)
The team that wins two of three matches will advance in a single elimination format.

The following rules will apply to each tournament match:
  • All Abilities
  • All Items
  • 3 recovers/5 chills
  • 3 Substitutions
  • 1 Mega
  • Switch=KO
  • 3 Day DQ for battlers
  • 3 Day DQ for refs
  • Self-KO clause; in the event of a double KO to end the match, the Pokemon that KOed itself through whatever means (self-KOing move, energy exhaustion, etc) loses.

Your Pokemon are locked in. You can not swap them out or edit in new moves or evolutions that you get outside the tournament after the first round starts, even between rounds.

Once battles start they are expected to move quickly; this means both battlers and refs should be active. Also, tournament matches should be your first priority; if you have to decide between posting for a tournament match and posting for another match, then unless you are severely risking DQ in the other match or have already done a tournament round that day then you should post in the tournament match. Battlers, you are on a 3 day DQ warning, between you and your teammates it should not be difficult to get orders in. You have one DQ warning per match, go over that and you lose, tough shit. Don't get DQed. With respect to LOAs, you will have a TOTAL of 5 days per match that you can extend DQ by via LOA. Go over 5 days, burn your DQ warning, and get DQed? You lose. Don't screw your team.

Finally, we would also like to see a return of the fantastic flavour that was characteristic of the original ASB Team Tournament and, as such, Birkal and I will be subjectively awarding bonus UC based on the subjective quality and content provided in the flavour of the reffing. Feel free to reference old tournament matches if you are unsure of how to go about this process.

Important Information, Rulings, Alterations, and Other Miscellaneous Information
- FMD is the assistant host
- Singles will be 3a/round, doubles and triples will be 2a/round
- You may collaborate with team members to create orders. You MAY NOT post on their behalf.
- There is a default blanket ban on legendaries. You may bring them if both battlers agree to their use. Therefore we will allow an extra slot exclusively for the use of legends. As the opponent has control over the use of the legend, this should not convey any unfair advantages.
- Matchups will be re-randomized after the first round

Damn that's a lot of shit. Let's get to the matchups shall we?

Updated bracket goes here.

Matchups:

Team TexSmashRed vs. Team Rocket
1. smashlloyd20 vs Birkal
Ref: Iggy Azalea

2. Rediamond vs Mowtom
Ref: deadfox081

3. Texas Cloverleaf vs Frosty
Ref: jayelt413

Team Daybreak vs. Team Midnight Machine
4. jayelt413 vs YellowAdminSilver
Ref: smashlloyd20

5. Iggy Azalea vs Dogfish44
Ref: Toon

6. Deadfox81 vs Maxim
Ref: FMD

Deadline to send in is June 18th End of Day, refs have your threads up by June 21st, please.

Round deadlines will be determined on a need basis and given two weeks or more notice.

Last edited:

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Um...why am I reffing a battle? I don't think I volunteered for one and I'm going to have no time to ref anything after July 3. Can Frosty or Birkal possibly take it over?

smashlloyd20 vs Birkal
I'm not gonna lie, both teams are equally scary in their own right. Smash has the all-powerful Greninja and the supremely bulky Registeel, as well as the tricky Kitsunoh. Birkal, on the other hand, has Mewtwo, alongside his trusty Kecleon who he has proved belongs in Tier 1, and Aurumoth who has been consistent throughout all of its appearance in ASB. Depending on teams, this could go either way, but Birkal has the advantage here due to a higher bulk factor (barring Kecleon and Gardevoir, the latter of which I doubt he'll use here, all of his mons have over 100 HP) and a more consistent play.

Rediamond vs Who? Mowtom
"Who's Mowtom?" jokes aside, he's a great player. He's proven that time and again, he's shown how good Reuniclus really is, he's gotten some serious results, and he definitely deserves to be called a great player. That said, Rediamond has been getting back into the groove of things, and has shown a lack of rust. Assuming he takes over Stratos's team, however, I don't know how he'll make great use of his mons, considering their playstyles are very different. (That said, Weavile in Doubles, Mowtom?)

Texas vs Frosty
Both players are remarkable in their skill, Tex being the undisputed Dragon master (sorry deadfox) and having some serious ASB knowledge. In terms of teams, I'd say they're about even. Greninja causes major troubles for Frosty, but his team overall seems to have the better matchup. Much like the first match, this could go either way depending on teams, but I think Frosty has more Triples knowledge than Tex.

Overall, I see this going for Rocket, but either one I can see as the winner of the tourney overall.

--
jay(y lmao) vs YAS
Jay has a scary team (it looks like he took a page from Birkal's book and went with Kecleon, good on him!) and has improved remarkably. I can see his Gardevoir causing havoc on YAS's team should it go unattended, and the rest of his team follows closely behind. That being said, YAS is no slouch either, his team having some deadly mons that can turn the tide on a whim like Sableye and Aurumoth. Additionally, while Jay has been improving, I think YAS is the better player overall. On teams alone, I'd see Jay winning (if only barely), but YAS wins overall.

Iggy Lucy vs Dogfish
Surprised you didn't bring Plasmanta for this tourney, Dogfish. Then again, with the overabundance of Gardevoir... Anyways, I'm not going to lie, much like Jay, Lucy's been improving considerably. She still makes mistakes, then again, so does everyone, even the big players like Birks. That said, Someoneelse's team.... eurgh. In Singles, it would be top notch. Metagross practically breaks through everything Dogfish has to offer, but the Gallade/Gardevoir pair is just deadly, and I can't see a way where it ends well for her in that regard. Combine that with the fact that Tomohawk is Tier 1 in Doubles (I'll take that opinion to my grave if I have to) and Dogfish pretty much takes this one.

They both choke Deadfox vs Maxim
Hoo boy. Everyone knows of the chokes both of these players make, but when not choking, both of them are probably in the top spectrum of players, I'd say. If not for Texas, Deadfox would be the #1 Dragon master, and Maxim's the undisputed Normal master. The choice of Pory-Z in this instead of Necturna is interesting, but Ditto is even more interesting. Player-wise? I'd say they're about even at top level (and even choke level for that matter), but due to Infernape playing a major part in breaking apart half of Maxim's team, with Tomohawk and Greninja helping with the rest, I see Deadfox taking it.

This may be a bit closer than people might think, but I see Midnight Machine taking it.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And after a suitable delay we have the results of the bonus UC for flavour work from Round 1

Gold Medal: Maxim for his excellent flavour work weaving a colorful narrative with dramatic commentary and integrating comeptitive impact

Shit Medal: jayelt413 for contributing reffing in 4 matches and receiving zero flavour UC for his efforts

People who get UC include (with attached matches for reference):
LouisCyphre : 5 UC
Toon: 10 UC+10 UC+15 UC
Matezoide: 10 UC
ZhengTann: 15 UC
Maxim: 30 UC
Iron Caliber: 15 UC
Birkal: 5 UC

Keep up the good work folks!

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
tbh I'm not above not flavoring, so fair enough. I will proceed to yank UC without flavor as I need it

Also, nice medal title :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)