Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Edit Morningstar Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but the most common archetypes I've seen on the ladder are rain offense and hail offense. Sand is still a thing but less common from what I've seen. Rain uses Pelipper as the rain setter and generally has the usual Kingdra, as well as Alolan Raichu and Tapu Koko. Hail always has Alolan Ninetales and Alolan Sandslash in my experiences. As for terrains, some teams are built around Tapu Koko's electric terrain (ie rain offense/electric spam) and Tapu Lele's psychic terrain (ie mons abuse the lack of priority/psychic spam). Tapu Bulu's grassy terrain and Tapu Fini's misty terrain are both solid, but teams are generally not built around their terrains. They can be, though, as fat balance/stall appreciates the effects of grassy/misty terrain.
Thank you, I know that Rain and Misty/Psychic Terrains were the most Splashable form of what I decide to dub "Geomancy" (No relationship to Xerneas' move, but I felt the term rolls off the tongue easier than "Environmental manipulation"), and that the Rain/Electric combination would be the most viable combination (and the only thing I know could be viable in an OU environment given that rocks screw up Sun and hail users.

Guess I'll check aroudn the UU SQSA thread and both Metagame discussion threads for more on the topic of Weather and Terrains.

To keep the thread on topic, I presume that all teams that make use of Terrains and Weather don't use the Moves, but the abilities (and with them, the tapus)?

Last edited:
What do people make of Z-Splash Gyarados? +3 Atk and +2 Spe in one turn is no joke as it outspeeds virtually the entire meta outside of Weather Sweepers and Scarf Tapu Koko. Gyarados also has Intimidate to get set-up opportunities against the likes of Pheromosa, Metagross-M, Landorus(Rock Slide don't kill) and Genesect (not locked into Tbolt). With its STABs, it seems to have the tools to put in work especially when paired with Tapu Koko who murders Skarmory, Celesteela or Toxapex (although +3 Earthquake also kills Toxapex with Rocks).

What do people make of Z-Splash Gyarados? +3 Atk and +2 Spe in one turn is no joke as it outspeeds virtually the entire meta outside of Weather Sweepers and Scarf Tapu Koko. Gyarados also has Intimidate to get set-up opportunities against the likes of Pheromosa, Metagross-M, Landorus(Rock Slide don't kill) and Genesect (not locked into Tbolt). With its STABs, it seems to have the tools to put in work especially when paired with Tapu Koko who murders Skarmory, Celesteela or Toxapex (although +3 Earthquake also kills Toxapex with Rocks).
Z-Splash gives +3 attack only. It doesn't boost speed.

Why is Blaziken banned from OU? Why not just ban Blaziken Speed Boost? He's not exactly Uber level if he only has Blaze as his ability, only Speed Boost.
Simply put, if that logic is applied, it could be applied in an infinite number of ways. You could at that point say why ban Staraptor from UU when you can unban it without it's hidden ability Reckless; you could say why not unban Aegislash as long as it never uses king's shield; you could say why not unban non-Primal Kyogre as long as it's used at level 76 with a moveset of water gun, ancient power and aqua ring. This might all sound ridiculous and something you might just want to retort to with "Well why not just apply it to Blaziken", but the fact is there's no real reason why Blaziken should get this special exception and no other Pokémon. It just leads to a very slippery slope.

When is the council quickbanning pheromosa??, or is there strong eveidecne it should stay in ou ??, i rather have tapukoko banned than pheromosa, personally.

I have a question about the context of OU bans at this stage of the meta:

If a quick ban or any ban for that matter happens before Pokebank, is that ban targeting the pre-bank meta, the post-bank beta, or both, and if that answer includes "pre-bank meta," then what happens when bank is released?

The nature of my curiosity revolves around a situation where a ~new Pokemon is banned from pre-bank because it's overpowered or whatever alongside the limited tools we have right now, but after bank releases and OU is filled with comparably-powered mons, sesulting in the ban no longer being needed. What is the process for determining what happens to those previously-banned Pokemon?

(I'm more interested in what would happen to something like a Tapu or an Ultra Beast, not to something like Aegi or something else that was previously proven to be banworthy in a past gen(s).)

Thanks guys o/

Dhelmise and Decidueye are so similar pokemons. Both are Grass/Ghost, are pretty slow, are being used as spin blockers and have Hazard Removal moves. My question is: What is the difference between the two as far as it's uses goes?

Vague

Banned deucer.
what is the cm blissey set that was used to counter Manaphy in ORAS?
It's just a normal physically defensive set with BoltBeam coverage, softboiled, and calm mind. The coverage can be tweaked around to meet certain needs your team has.

I have a question about the context of OU bans at this stage of the meta:

If a quick ban or any ban for that matter happens before Pokebank, is that ban targeting the pre-bank meta, the post-bank beta, or both, and if that answer includes "pre-bank meta," then what happens when bank is released?

The nature of my curiosity revolves around a situation where a ~new Pokemon is banned from pre-bank because it's overpowered or whatever alongside the limited tools we have right now, but after bank releases and OU is filled with comparably-powered mons, sesulting in the ban no longer being needed. What is the process for determining what happens to those previously-banned Pokemon?

(I'm more interested in what would happen to something like a Tapu or an Ultra Beast, not to something like Aegi or something else that was previously proven to be banworthy in a past gen(s).)

Thanks guys o/
Simply put, pre-bank isn't being bothered with since it'll stop existing in less than two months. Any ban that happens now only applies to post-bank, which is currently being played.

Dhelmise and Decidueye are so similar pokemons. Both are Grass/Ghost, are pretty slow, are being used as spin blockers and have Hazard Removal moves. My question is: What is the difference between the two as far as it's uses goes?
They also both have base 80 physical trapping moves and their names begin with D!

There are a few differences between them. Decidueye is pretty slow, but Dhelmise is unsalvagably slow. There's almost no reason to run any Speed on it, whereas Decidueye can invest to outpace walls and slow offensive Pokemon. The difference between Rapid Spin and Defog is also pretty major--Rapid Spin is more useful on hazard-stacking teams where Defog is counterproductive. Dhelmise is also hard to spinblock because it threatens most Ghost switch-ins other than Mega Sableye. Defog, however, is more reliable if you don't necessarily care about your hazards and want to avoid all Ghosts/contact damage. Dhelmise is a bit more physically bulk while Decidueye is a bit more specially bulky.

Dhelmise's true strengths are its massive Attack and pseudo-STAB on Steel moves. Anchor Shot, unlike Soul Shackle, has no immunities and hits Fairies super effectively, which is important in such a Tapu-heavy meta. It also has Switcheroo, which I've seen used on Choice Band sets to cripple walls like Skarmory. Overall, I see Dhelmise being used on bulky offense or Spikes-based teams where its immediate power, access to Rapid Spin and a more reliable trapping move can make up for its lack of Speed and recovery.

Decidueye, meanwhile, is a lot more diverse. Its Atk and SpA attacks are both pretty decent, bolstered by the potential to run either Swords Dance or Nasty Plot. The currently dominant sets, however, take advantage of the utility Decidueye brings to the table, often running a specially defensive spread. The ability to run a defensive set despite its merely-okay defenses is thanks to its access to Roost. U-turn is also a great asset that can grab momentum, sometimes in cases where you've trapped a foe and U-turn into a counter with no fear of a double switch. I've even seen people toy with options like Curse and Decidueye's signature Z-crystal to unleash a powerful physical Ghost move. Overall, Decidueye somewhat suffers from a lack of specialization, making it potentially mediocre no matter what it runs, but the diversity it exhibits compensates for this fact and allows it to shine a variety of roles. I've seen it used on Offense, Stall and everything in between thanks to its unique set of traits.

For what it's worth, I doubt either will stay OU for more than a few months, but each of them is solidly usable in the current metagame.

What is this Vincune I keep hearing about ? Is it a Suicune set ? Why is it named that ? and who made it and when ?

What is this Vincune I keep hearing about ? Is it a Suicune set ? Why is it named that ? and who made it and when ?
Vincune is a Suicune set created by Vinc2612 (Hence the name). Here it is:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
Bold Nature
-Calm Mind
-Scald
-Substitute
-Protect

I think that's the right EV spread but I could be wrong; that's off the top of my head. Its job is to PP stall through the use of Sub and Protect combined with Pressure. It can be very threatening against teams that can't force it to switch out or break its sub. Calm Mind boosts it so it gets stronger, potentially enough to sweep, and more importantly to make Suicune even harder to break with special attacks. Not sure when it was made but I think it was sometime in the summer of 2016 (at least that's when it became more mainstream).

Edit: Read Random Passerby's response instead; it's more accurate.

Last edited:
Simply put, if that logic is applied, it could be applied in an infinite number of ways. You could at that point say why ban Staraptor from UU when you can unban it without it's hidden ability Reckless; you could say why not unban Aegislash as long as it never uses king's shield; you could say why not unban non-Primal Kyogre as long as it's used at level 76 with a moveset of water gun, ancient power and aqua ring. This might all sound ridiculous and something you might just want to retort to with "Well why not just apply it to Blaziken", but the fact is there's no real reason why Blaziken should get this special exception and no other Pokémon. It just leads to a very slippery slope.
The slippery slope can be avoided by just limiting it to abilities.

This is a set from ORAS meta.

Niagara (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SpA / 40 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Protect

200 Spe is used to Substitute before Heatran Toxics or Taunts you. 40 SpD to have a shot at having your Sub intact against a Rotom-W's Volt Switch at +1. 252 HP allows you to tank a Seismic Toss with a Substitute.

Is there a list of z-move buffs of support moves anywhere? Would be great if theres any since im planning a baton passer and z-buffs could be a nice factor. now that theres baton pass clause, my imagination is a little restricted so z-buffs seems is like either an oasis or mirage to me lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)