Gen 2 rate team please?

So yeah... I'm new here, as well as in competitive battling. This is my first attempt at a team. It's done fairly well in Stadium 2, but I would like some comments on it since I've had very few trainer battles.

Magmar @Miracleberry
~Confuse Ray
~Flamethrower
~Thunderpunch
~Cross Chop

One of the best fire-types in GSC in my opinion. Great as a lead pokemon and learns some very nice moves.

Hypno @Mintberry
~Curse
~Shadowball
~Submission
~Rest

My favourite curse set. Submission isn't very attractive due to low accuracy, but at it does something against Darks and Steels. No Psychic for her, since the special attack is rather lacking.

Umbreon @Leftovers
~Mean Look
~Toxic
~Baton Pass
~Moonlight

A bit of a mixture of two movesets. Mean Look can serve as either Toxic-trapping or Baton Pass material, or even both.

Jolteon @Brightpowder
~Attract
~Thunderbolt
~Thunderwave
~Bite

Very annoying, and very fun. I really don't think Attract on a male is necessarily a bad thing, since most pokemon have a 50% chance of being of either gender.

Marowak @Thick Club
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Body Slam
~Swagger

I'm kind of on-off for whether I should include Joltwak in this team. On one hand it's powerful once it's set up, but on the other it is very susceptible to haze/pseudohaze (especially since here I would have two baton passers). For now I'm going with a stand-alone set, which doesn't have quite the sweeper potential but more an element of surprise.

Blastoise @Leftovers
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Haze
~Rapid Spin

Great as a utility pokemon. The only problem I see is with high-Special-defence pokemon like Snorlax, which my current moveset has no way to significantly damage. I could give up Rapid Spin for Double-Edge or Bodyslam, but that means I would have no way to rid of spikes...

So yeah... I'm new here, as well as in competitive battling. This is my first attempt at a team. It's done fairly well in Stadium 2, but I would like some comments on it since I've had very few trainer battles.

Magmar @Miracleberry
~Confuse Ray
~Flamethrower
~Thunderpunch
~Cross Chop

One of the best fire-types in GSC in my opinion. Great as a lead pokemon and learns some very nice moves.

Actually, the best fire Pokemon in GSC is probably Charizard. Fire Blast is prefered over Flamethrower because it actually has a chance to ohkoe both Steelix and Skarmory. While Flamethrower allows them to survive with 10%/9% (Max) of HP depending on the respected Pokemon.

Hypno @Mintberry
~Curse
~Shadowball
~Submission
~Rest

My favourite curse set. Submission isn't very attractive due to low accuracy, but at it does something against Darks and Steels. No Psychic for her, since the special attack is rather lacking.

I don't like this set at all. If you really must use this set you might as well use Curse Snorlax. Thunder Wave, Reflect, Light Screen, and Psychic is the standard. Leftovers is better than Mintberry in general.

Umbreon @Leftovers
~Mean Look
~Toxic
~Baton Pass
~Moonlight

A bit of a mixture of two movesets. Mean Look can serve as either Toxic-trapping or Baton Pass material, or even both.

You're better off using Charm instead of Toxic on this set because not only does it help your marowak set up but it makes one of the best Curselax counters.

Jolteon @Brightpowder
~Attract
~Thunderbolt
~Thunderwave
~Bite

Very annoying, and very fun. I really don't think Attract on a male is necessarily a bad thing, since most pokemon have a 50% chance of being of either gender.

Either way attract isn't a good move. Use Baton Pass, Substitute or Hidden Power Water, Agility, and Thunderbolt.

Marowak @Thick Club
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Body Slam
~Swagger

I'm kind of on-off for whether I should include Joltwak in this team. On one hand it's powerful once it's set up, but on the other it is very susceptible to haze/pseudohaze (especially since here I would have two baton passers). For now I'm going with a stand-alone set, which doesn't have quite the sweeper potential but more an element of surprise.

Honestly why would you bother to increase your enemies attack with such high attack? Swords Dance is recommended for that set. Also, consider using Hidden Power Flying over Body Slam too.

Blastoise @Leftovers
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Haze
~Rapid Spin

Great as a utility pokemon. The only problem I see is with high-Special-defence pokemon like Snorlax, which my current moveset has no way to significantly damage. I could give up Rapid Spin for Double-Edge or Bodyslam, but that means I would have no way to rid of spikes...

Standard Blastoise set.
Your team needs more offense to take advantage of Mean Look. Belly Drum Snorlax can go over Hypno because it can utilize the Agility from Jolteon and the Mean Look from Umbreon. If you do that you might want to lose Blastoise for a Starmie to counter you Fighting weakness. You're also taking something that can absorb sleep so consider making one of your pokemon a Sleep Talker or use a Heal beller like Miltank and Blissey. Watch out for Heracross with Earthquake, Megahorn, Rest, and Sleep Talk because it will rip you team to sreds. In my opinion Magmar is the weakest link and should be discarded for something that can help you with your Status and Heracross problem. Something like a Zapdos or Gligar are good bets.

Have made changes to the team. I've taken your advice on using Baton Pass more to my advantages, so the team as a whole is a lot more offence-oriented and support-heavy. It's also become lot more standard, but I don't really have a problem with thath.

Umbreon @Leftovers
~Mean Look
~Charm
~Baton Pass
~Moonlight

Standard trappassing lead, but can still come along later in the game. Charm helps to set up Marowak and Curse-Skarmory.

Jolteon @Brightpowder
~Agility
~Thunderbolt
~Baton Pass
~Hidden Power (Water)

With baton pass so heavy in this team there's a problem with pseudo-haze like I've mentioned, even with Umbreon's Mean Look. Jolteon's elemental attacks seem to do well against the most typical pseudo-hazers (Skarmory, Suicune etc.), though, so a bit of prediction could help a lot.

Marowak @Thick Club
~Swords Dance
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Return

BP recipient No.1. Have replace Body Slam with Return since the base damage is higher (and in any case Marowak doesn't need a paralysis-inducing attack when sweeping)

Snorlax @Leftovers
~Belly Drum
~Double-Edge
~Shadow Ball
~Fire Blast

BP recipient No.2. I'm not a big fan of the Curselax set, so I chose this over it. Shadow Ball for Ghosts, and Fire Blast for Skarmory and other resistant steel-types.

Skarmory @Leftovers
~Drill Peck
~Curse
~Swagger
~Whirlwind

Have replaced Blastoise with this as a pseudo-hazer since Skarmory's defence and steel-typing resists physical attacks better. Can also be potentially BP recipient No.3 from Umbreon's side. Swagger can buy possibly some time to boost Attack with more Curse.

Starmie @Miracleberry
~Confuse Ray
~Surf
~Psychic
~Recover

With so many physical attackers in the team I could be in trouble against a physical wall, which is why I balance the team out with another nice Special-attacker. Psychic covers the Fighting weakness (eg Heracross mentioned in your post) further with Skarmory.

I've not been able to fit a sleeptalker or heal-beller anywhere in the set. I could maybe fit Starmie with Sleeptalk, but I think he a bit too brittle to use the move effectively, and anyway the whole unpredictability of it kind of makes me nervous. Maybe could replace Snorlax with Miltank, but Jolteon would then have no other to pass to than Marowak.

Snorlax doesn't need Shadow Ball. Earthquake is better than Shadow Ball because it hits Gengar, Tyranitar, Rhydon, etc. The only thing Shadow Ball hits harder is Misdreavus and it gets ohkoed by a Belly Drum Earthquake. I also don't really see the point with Swagger on Skarmory tbh. Heck, you're better off using Steel Wing in its place.

Consider using Rapid Spin over Confuse Ray on Starmie or you could just use Death Star with Surf, Thunder Wave, Recover, and Confuse Ray. Well, If you're not plaining to use Rapid Spin use a Slowbro with Surf, Psychic or Thunder Wave, Rest, and Sleep Talk instead. It has better defense than Starmie. Thus, it is the better choice.

^No, you're wrong. Master of one > Jack of all.

But if you INSIST on trapping, the only viable set to my account is HP Fire, Mean Look, Baton Pass, Rest/Moonlight. By all means, Umbreon has better things to do; you have better things to do than using Umbreon.

^No, you're wrong. Master of one > Jack of all.

But if you INSIST on trapping, the only viable set to my account is HP Fire, Mean Look, Baton Pass, Rest/Moonlight. By all means, Umbreon has better things to do; you have better things to do than using Umbreon.

you could also stick pursuit over hp fire to play mind games with psychics

or confuse ray to get lucky against p-hazers

Fire HP for Umbreon wouldn't do much significant damage with his low attacking power, but I might replace Charm with Doubleteam to avert the pseudo-hazers. Umbreon is on my particular team because, with a lot of prediction, it helps a lot with Jolteon's part of the Baton Pass chain.

Double team is almost always banned in competitive environment, so try to avoid it. Besides, it only reduce the accuracy by 10% each time you use it, so it's uncommon that you can escape from being phazed.
The problem with trap umbreon is that it is easily countered by phazers. You can try hp fire for skar/steelix or zap cannon for skar (it also hits suicune, but the damage is extremely slow) in order to inflict some decent damage. However, there are others phazers, like rhydon, ttar, raikou, donphan... so that it's impossible to counter all of them at the same time. So, if you are really determined to use trap umbreon, I would follow Veteran in Love's reccomendations and try confuse ray and pray for hax or pursuit to try to fool the opponent, since he may think that you are using the very common set: pursuit, toxic, charm, rest/moonlight.

I'll try the Pursuit/Mean Look Umbreon-set and see how it works. How well does Hidden Power work on Skarmory? I might use Ground or Rock to surprise-hit fire and/or electric.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)