CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Reflections, Opinions, and Closing

Are You Satisfied with how the First "Create A Pokemon" Turned Out?

• Yeah, I felt it was handled really well

Votes: 147 42.5%
  • Well, it was alright, but a few changes need to be made

Votes: 106 30.6%
  • No, I hated it

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • I really liked it, but I think the pokemon is broken, so I'm going to be stupid and say no

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • "Create A Pokemon?"

Votes: 31 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
That's pretty darn cool. "Syclant is a Mountaineer and avoided the floating stones!" Awesome, although I imagine if it actually existed the text used wouldn't be as cool.

What's it say when it uses Mountaineer to dodge a Rock attack?
Try it out! The message is: "Syclant is a Mountaineer and avoids the surprise rock attack!"

I tried to come up with something that would fit with the style of other annoying Pokemon battle messages.

EDIT: Thanks for noticing that it should have two different messages. Since we decided to make Mountaineer affect two types of switch-in damage, I went to great pains to make sure it fired separately. As such, two slightly different messages seemed to make sense. I should probably make the verb tense the same for both though... "Avoids" or "Avoided"? Big decisions, big decisions....

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Im using a Mac OS X so i dont have Command Prompt or anything... is the sprite file necessary?
From what I could tell in the code, it should display a blank.

BTW, if you have Java on your Mac (I'm sure you do). Then you can run that jar file.

I wrote it to use the standard Shoddy tools, so if shoddy works, then that Jar should work. I don't know how to execute a jar on a mac though. Shouldn't be too hard to find out.

"Syclant is a Mountaineer and avoids the surprise rock attack!"

I tried to come up with something that would fit with the style of other annoying Pokemon battle messages.
Cool. If it were to actually exist though, I think it'd end up more like "Syclant dodged *rock attack* with Mountaineer!" or something.

About the screenshot, didn't it get decided that it wouldn't get Tail Glow? Just wondering.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
It gets Tail Glow as an egg move, but it limits accessibility to like Earth Power, I think.

I forgot what sets were what now.

From what I could tell in the code, it should display a blank.

BTW, if you have Java on your Mac (I'm sure you do). Then you can run that jar file.

I wrote it to use the standard Shoddy tools, so if shoddy works, then that Jar should work. I don't know how to execute a jar on a mac though. Shouldn't be too hard to find out.
On this computer Java is the default application for opening Jar files, but it cant do anything with the file though. I tried opening it with StuffIt Expander and that caused the file to make a duplicate folder which contained two folders, one of them containing a CLASS file, the other containing a file named MANIFEST.MF. Other than that, im not sure what will work...

Oh yeah, and ive tried making a team on the server and Syclant does appear blank.

DougJustDoug

On this computer Java is the default application for opening Jar files, but it cant do anything with the file though. I tried opening it with StuffIt Expander and that caused the file to make a duplicate folder which contained two folders, one of them containing a CLASS file, the other containing a file named MANIFEST.MF. Other than that, im not sure what will work...

Oh yeah, and ive tried making a team on the server and Syclant does appear blank.
It sounds like it OPENED the jar, but did not EXECUTE the jar. You need to execute it with the Java Runtime. I'm sure it's not too hard on a Mac. People distribute jars to Mac users all the time. Do a quick web search and see if you can figure it out. Be sure to post the results here for others.

EDIT: Here's an example of a link I found
http://www.bolthole.com/java/mac.html
Maybe this helps, maybe not. I really don't know Macs.

I have noticed, Syclant makes teams quite Fire Weak. Not just because of it's typing, but teams that want Pokemon like Forretress, Hail Pokemon and others, make it a hard Pokemon to work with. A Scarfed Fire Pokemon is the best counter.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Since I'm using my Mac for now I'll live with the spriteless Syclant.

Anyway, I thought Tail Glow was still being debated.

Also, I've got some news. As the whole point of the server is to test Syclant out to see if it's overpowered we need a whole lot of people on at the same time to get some accurate results. Therefore I suggest that I create a new thread. Something like this:

Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Syclant Testing Weekend

The purpose of this thread would be to inform people the Syclant server is up and running and to colloect test data. It would contain instructions of how to connect to the Syclant server aswell as a copy of the analysis for people to read. I propose we make next weekend "Syclant Testing Weekend" and invite as many people as possible to playtest Syclant with us. I will ask anyone with 'remarkable' logs, either to demonstrate how overpowered Syclant is or how he isn't overpowered, to post them in the thread for our concideration. It could also be a hubb for discussion of Syclant, mainly on the topic of is it broken and whether to keep Tail Glow if it does seem to be broken.

What does everyone think of this? I'm looking for the go ahead to post the thread mid week to start drumming up interest.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I like it. This weekend should really be used as a Syclant Bug reporting thing, since we're still breaking him into the programming.

Also, I very much enjoyed being the first to use Syclant. :P

Sunday

I'll be on real soon guys. Just finishing my team.

EDIT: On, where are you guys? xD

I'm on too. It's kinda cool.

EDIT: Or I would, be but my net is going up and down like a yoyo. I'm waiting for ping timeout. :(

Sunday

My Syclant died first turn. I feel like a bad father =='

Anyway, known glitch #1.

On a Mac not running the Syclant sprite the enemys Pokemon Sprite does not appear whenever Syclant is on the field.

#2.

When there is no Syclant sprite loaded weird shit happens with the Pokes, like the pokemon you had in previously showing up in place of Syclant, and the opponent being locked into the one sprite from the monent syclant comes in until he leaves.

Seriously, I just realised how amazing Ice/Bug combo is. My team, which got an 18 win streak once ( not that good, but for me it is ) has a massive Syclant weak.

Sunday

Working on a warstory against Deucalion2. It was a great match and should drum up some interest at the very least.

CBAnt is really bad, LO is decent, but can be tanked out, FS is OMGBBQWTF unless you have priority move/Weavile/Starmie/Dactyl, it can't survive long enough for Leftovers to have use, and Choice Scarf is alright, but means it outpseeds everything.

I propose to name the server "Doug is your new god!". Seriously.

It's been great to test Syclant, although in the 3 battles I've played, my Syclant didn't get any action in one, in other he was KOed after one kill, and in the other I didn't use my Syclant team >_<

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
F sash + tail glow is good, syclant + heatran is GOD, and syclant is cool. also i have found a few minor bugs, one with the mountineer ability.
if you and your oponent switch in at the same time (after explosion or something) then syclant is imune for the first turn, not sure if thins is right.

syclant is a top OU, but its no way an uber. you need to make your entire team around it to get it to work. i have only tested mountineer + hail, but it works well. not sure about compoundeyes.

T-a-B it did 1455% in a diferent match.

i am also doing a warstory, expect it up in a few days.

syclant leads die, but could work if well played.

i have won 8 and lost 3 matches.

also thank you, thank you, thank you for makeing this.

DougJustDoug

Wow! I love the global nature of this community. When I went to bed, I had just gotten Syclant working on the server and there were a couple of early user accounts. I woke up and checked out all the people that have made new accounts. Impressive.

I can't tell you how cool it is to read about all these battles with Syclant. I don't know why I find it so awesome. Maybe because it's like we turned this neat little theorymon project into a "real" pokemon. As real as it can get without Nintendo's help, anyway. There is something deeply satisfying about that. I feel like we are thumbing our nose at all the haters and doubters that trashed this project, claiming that it was a waste of time since, "Nothing will come of it."

Well something DID come of it. And consider my nose officially thumbed...

@Sunday - I really think we should move this to a "Syclant Playtesting Thread" or something like that. Your suggestion is perfect. Let's get the basic bugs worked out and then let's organize a mass test.

@Eric - Great catch on the Mountaineer glitch. I set up Mountaineer with a 1-turn timer that starts when Syclant switches in. I need to fix it so the timer starts only if Syclant switches into an existing opponent. Should be pretty easy. I'll work on it in a few hours and then I'll restart the server.

@Macintosh Users - Somebody please please please figure out how to run the jar file and post the instructions. There are at least three Mac users that have hooked up to the server. It's a real shame if they can't get the right sprites.

I'm really glad I could get this working for everyone. When coding this up, it was an interesting survey of all the contributions. The stats, the movesets, the artwork and sprites, everything. Very much a community project. For me to be able to hack this bad boy into Shoddy was a lot of fun. Programming challenges like this are always fun. But this one was a little more special than others, since I felt like a whole community was behind me, cheering me on. Seeing all you people using Syclant in battles is just great!

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
GGGGOOOOO DOUG!!

alsoone more thing, when you send out a pokemon it sais something like
eric the espeon sent out antinator (LV 100 syclant but here there are some strange symbols, they change depending on what pokemon is sent out)

its not much of a probalm but if its an easy fix you could change it.

also can you give those on the server a warning before restarting the server, and maybe wait for the matches to finish?

is haveing ladder on this a real option? of does it only work for the normal server?

other than that... amazing, great, fantastic work. i look up to your programing ability.
maybe we should make you a "create-a-pokemon contributor badge" for this achivement?

edit: no-one else is on the sever..... can someone come on?

eric the espeon

Not my match, I hope. I played like a total newbie. >_<
oh... it was your match. you onlymade like one bad move and the close finish was sooo funny.

Edit: reposting this so people can find, use and comment on it

by lord sunday, i edited a bit.

[SET]
name: Mixant
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Bug buzz
move 3: Brick Break / Superpower
move 4: Substitute / Earth Power / Air slash
item: Life Orb
ability: Compound Eyes
nature: Naive / Rash
evs: 200 Atk/ 56 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
Syclant has the ability to tear through many of the most common walls in D/P. Compound Eyes provided Syclant with an extremely high power 91% accurate STAB in the form of Blizzard. Brick Break deals with Blissey and will 2HKO 90% of the time. Bug buzz provides a strong STAB that deals with many opponents. Substitute can be used if you do not want to risk mispredicting, which will often force Syclant to switch out. It is also useful to absorb Thunder Waves from Blissey and Cresselia. If you do use substitute than Superpower becomes an option over Brick Break as it can 2HKO Blissey with less EVs.

If this set does not have sufficient Rapid Spin support, it will soon fall to passive damage. To combat this you can use Mountaineer over Compound Eyes, but only do this if you use an Abomasnow to set up hail or switch to the significantly weaker ice beam.

[SET]
name: Swords Ant
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Ice Shard / Ice Punch
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Brick Break / U-Turn
item: Life Orb / Focus sash
ability: Mountaineer
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This is a full physical version of Syclant. It's attack reaches astronomical levels after a Swords Dance. Ice Shard takes care of anything that thinks it can switch in on the Swords Dance and out speed for a KO. Ice Punch provides a more reliable Ice STAB.

Fire fang, Thunder fang, Stone edge, Night slash or Shadow claw could be used over Brick Break / U-Turn. Fire fang dents Forretress, who would otherwise wall you, after a SD. Thunder fang is your best bet against Gyarados. Stone edge (or Rock slide if you don’t like the poor accuracy and want to take advantage of the flinch chance) has great coverage and can 1HKO some Pokemon you would otherwise have problems with after a Swords Dance. Night slash or Shadow claw can beat down Dusknoir and bulky psychics. Superpower is not an option on this set as the attack drop conflicts with sword dance.

[SET]
name: SpecsSycle
move 1: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 2: Bug buzz
move 3: Super Power / Focus Blast / Air slash
move 4: Earth Power
item: Choice Specs
ability: Mountaineer / Compound Eyes
nature: +Satk -Def / Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This set has the ability to do massage damage to most of the OU metagame, provided you predict right. If you run the low accuracy Blizzard and Focus Blast then use the Compound Eyes ability with heavy Rapid Spin support, as Syclant wants to have the ability to switch in and out freely with this set. If you don't want such a high-maintenance Poke than using running Mountaineer, Super Power and Ice beam allows you to still dent Blissey and also be immune to SR. Keep in mind that only Modest Nature and Focus Blast are able to 2HKO without SR.

[Other Options]
Stone Edge is a good option for dealing with the likes of Moltres and Articuno. Superpower is unable to 1HKO Blissey even with max Atk, so isn't of much note other than on the Choice Specs set, or to 2HKO with less EVs. Thunder Fang and Earth Power will 1HKO Gyarados and Heatran respectively, but don't be tempted to use them on anything that isn't 4x weak as unresisted STAB Blizzard or Bug buzz will usually do more. Most of the time its incredibly powereful STABs will cover it better than a single attack that hits Super Effective against a certain Poke. Choice Band is also an option if you don’t want to have to set up your Physical sweeper, but Syclant isn't build for repeated switch ins. Choice Scarf makes it a decent lead.

[EVs]
Neutral Natured Syclant with max Atk and Life Orb is never guaranteed to 2HKO Blissey with Break Break, but 200 EVs Provide a very reasonable chance and a guaranteed KO with SR in play. Any EVs Leftover from your main form of offence should go into Spd. Always make sure that Syclant can survive two switch ins to SR if running Compound Eyes. This means NEVER give it four Hp EVs. Either eight or none.

[Opinion]
Syclant can tear through some of D/P's prestige walls, but is extremely high maintenance. Its typing is a mixed bag. It has two wonderful STABs for an offensive Poke, but is hindered by a horrible SR weakness. Mountaineer takes care of this, but leaves it using a weaker STAB. If you can keep Syclant in good condition then it will be a great asset to your team.

[Counters]
Tentacruel is a good overall counter, but dies if Syclant is carrying Earth Power. Blissey is a good counter to the Spec set. Against the Mixant set, Blissey can come in on anything other than Brick Break and Substitute and can 1HKO Syclant with Flamethrower, or use a status move like Sing or Thunderwave. Priority moves, or Pokes that out speed Syclant can deal very heavy damage once they get in.

In order to survive, Syclant relies on its extremely powerful and accurate STAB moves and its impunity to Stealth Rock. Taking either one of these away will weaken it significantly. If it is running the Compound Eyes ability, an opponent that can use Stealth Rock and prevent them from being spun away will stop Syclant in its tracks. If Syclant is using Abomasnow's hail for 100% Acc Blizzard then your own weather changer will hinder it.

by me
if it keeps tail glow then this set works

Syclant@focus sash/life orb
4HP/252 sp. attack/252 speed
timid
tail glow
blizzard
bug buzz
focus blast/air slash/counter/HP ground/taunt

this is useable but not as good as swords ant
syclant@CB
4 HP/252 attack/252 speed
jolly
move 1: Ice Punch
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: U-Turn / Ice Shard / Fire fang / Thunder fang / Stone edge / Night slash / Shadow claw

loads of /itis 8 on the same slot lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)