DracoStall

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
DRACOSTALL

OVERVIEW

INTRO
Well, so after the very succesful DracoOffense team, I decided to try the opposite game style: Stall.

When I was building this team, I knew i wanted to use a pokemon that I have never used before: Regirock, which everybody said it was a beast in the sand, so I wanted to test it, and it has been working quite well. I have using this team with my account David Villa, and I have easily got nearly 1500 in little time.

This is my most succesful stall team in platinum, bat it has some problems with some SD pokes like Infernape and mainly Cradily (i was once 6-0ed by one lol), and with Aqua Tail CBTar

THE TEAM
@ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/24 Atk/192 Def/40 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Roar
Hippo is my main physical wall, and it can set up the rocks and the sandstorm, which eliminates Focus Sashes and help weakening flying threats as Gyara, Salamence, Zapdos and Skymin. It is also the first phazer of the team, so pokes like Ninjask or a random Sd cannot set up on me

@ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
This is my spiker. I have Shed Shell because it is very important in my team, and I don't want to lose it because a Magnezone. Forry also counters Weavile, and stops Outrages.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roar
- Roost
Second phazer of the team. I don't know if making this thing a bit bulkier (enough speed to outspeed jolly luke and a bit less sp atk), but this works so well. This is my main Scizor counter, and also kills Gyara, Luke and Skymin.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/200 Def/12 Spd/44 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Rest
- Shadow Ball
- Reflect / Sleep Talk
Rotom-h is my spin blocker, and counters gyara and other fighters. Reflect let me take all the physical atackers much better, and most important: CBtar cannot kill me, since Pursuit is like 25-28% with Reflect up. Those 12 spd EVs help me outspeeding other deffensive rotoms. Discharge is very useful because it has a good chance of paralyzing those pokes which resist the TS.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 24 HP/252 Def/80 SAtk/152 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Flamethrower
Well, it is blissey. I use flamethrower here mainly because Scizor, Lucario and Heracross, while still hitting Skymin hard. It also heals my team.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Rest
This thing is a beast in the SS. Counters Heatran, and takes physical and special attacks quite easily, and with 2 curses, it can destroy an umprepared team. It also stops most wall breakers.

Wow. This team is VERY spikes/SR heavy. I cant find anything wrong with it NOW, but if I do ill post again. Just wanna let you know right away that thats a pretty great stall team ya got there. Props.

Unless I'm mistaken, Subs block Roar, and Ninjask will be faster than Hippowdon out of the gates 101 times out of 100. Unless there's been a sea change in how Ninjask is built, it'll be able to set up on you pretty easily with Earthquake as your only attack.

You have Rest on two Pokémon that can't shake the sleep without waiting two turns. You should probably throw a Sleep Talk on Regirock. You won't need the Curses to wall. As for Rotom-H... maybe you should drop Rest in favor of Overheat so it can take advantage of the form. You have Blissey to heal it with Wish anyway, and it adds extra firepower against the Scizors and Forries of the world.

Unless I'm mistaken, Subs block Roar, and Ninjask will be faster than Hippowdon out of the gates 101 times out of 100. Unless there's been a sea change in how Ninjask is built, it'll be able to set up on you pretty easily with Earthquake as your only attack.

You have Rest on two Pokémon that can't shake the sleep without waiting two turns. You should probably throw a Sleep Talk on Regirock. You won't need the Curses to wall. As for Rotom-H... maybe you should drop Rest in favor of Overheat so it can take advantage of the form. You have Blissey to heal it with Wish anyway, and it adds extra firepower against the Scizors and Forries of the world.
Substitute does not block Roar, Ninjask is not an issue for him.

Well, the Team looks good. (4 pk are also in my team lol). I have little things to say.

I think so Hippowdon should have a Ice Fang for dragons and also cover others types. I would delete Roar.

Forretress is good but I never used to him with 2 types of Spikes because personally don't like me.

Zapdos is OK.

Another suggestion is that in Rotom you could put instead Reflect Overheat for Scizor and Forretress...

If you doing this, Blissey should have Ice Beam before that Flamethrower.

These Regirock you know it's impressive, so you leave him as is.

Still, Infernape and Tyranitar can give you problems.

grettings

I think he should keep roar. Its definitely a good choice for lead Hippowdon, because it is tough to kill him, and a few roars can rack up some early residual damage, as well as scout the opposing team.

I would probably get rid of some attack and put it into HP for zapdos. Zapdos needs bulk to be able to take on the likes of Gyara, Lucario, Heracross, etc.

I see typical DD Gyara as the main opposition to your team. Zapdos is definitely not a relaible counter, since a Stone Edge completely shreds it. There isn't much else you can do against it there. I would suggest bulking Zapdos up to help take it on. Even then, its still quite vulnerable to Stone Edge. I might think of something else you can do.

I also see a bit of Tyraniboah trouble here, though I guess Regirock could take a couple focus punches and curse up a little bit.

I suggest you get rid of Zapdos. Hippowdon is already doing the phazing, and Rotom-H is countering the same things, such as SD Luke and other fighters, Scizor, and "Gyarados", and Skymin is covered okay by Blissey.

To solve your Infernape issue, Vaporeon would be great, as it also brings a water immunity to your team. It also covers Gyarados if you use Hidden Power [Electric]. Tyranitar is always a problem to stall, but with special defense EVd Hippowdon, Forretress, Regirock, and Toxic Spikes, you should be able to handle it well. Be careful though because both Blissey and Rotom give it comfortable switch-ins.

The first thing I noticed was your Hippowdon. Taunt Azelfs are pretty common. One taunt and your Hippo will be completely useless as its only attack, Earthquake, doesn't affect Azelf. Of all the moves I feel Roar is the most useless one. I agree with Jojiro. Ice Fang would help a bit more if not for Azelf, but for Zapdos and Salamence as well. You can't really counter Zapdos... If you can't beat it. Otherwise you're just walling it. Plus most Zapdoses have HP Grass anyway...

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SubSeed Skymin will cause you all sorts of problems, especially if it leads. The only thing you can really do to force it out is Roar with Zapdos....and your other five pokes will be destroyed by it pretty badly should it go down. On the other hand, I can't think of a really good way to fix it offhand, and it might require a major change to fix....so you might be better off just taking your chances.

Well nasty plot mixape completely 6-0's your team. To solve this problem i would suggest going with a calm nature on zapdos and give it more SpD evs.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You're going to hate me for this rate, but basically, make it more like Obi's team.

You're going to need something for MixApe and there's not much better than Tentacruel. Considering how badass Regirock is, your best replacement would be Forretress. Eliminates a Mixape weakness with something that basically is the same role wise.

Calm Blissey is a must for stall. You probably ran 24 HP for Lefties, but with Sandstorm going on the Leftovers number is literally meaningless, so just run the standard Calm spread. You probably don't need Toxic as you have a Togekiss counter, but it's an option.

Make Zapdos better equipped to take Special hits. It doesn't need physical Defense to take on Scizor (Rotom already does anyway but whatever), plus then you beat Togekiss and Skymin much more easily.

I think you should be set then. If you take these suggestions, tell me if they work.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Well, thanks for all comments

At first, I thought using celebi/vaporeon instead Zappy, and it really worked well because it added me more Skymin weakness (being bliss the only poke that can switch). With zappy, I can outstall and beat it with some wish support (problem is no water resist)

Mixape has never been a problem, since it is easily stopped by regirock, but if I don't predict correctly it can hurt a lot, so I will consider tenta, but I think I will miss too much the spikes

I will make Zapdos bulkier, with enough spd to outspeed jolly luke, and I will test calm bliss

That's what I call a "dirt" team-Rock, Ground...all of those types I keep myself away from. I do agree Zapdos can go-and use Swampert insted. Avalanche/Waterfall or Aqua Tail/EQ/take your pick.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've battled (and beaten) this team before, and I'll say that it actually has a very hard time with Gyara (who is my lead). Rotom and zappy are not counters, they are gyara revenge killers. Rotom-A is 2hko'd by waterfall. How the heck is that a counter? Zapdos also takes almost 50%. Roosting off/resting the damage is all well and good once in a while, but to be forced to do it each time gyara comes in. It's very possible that you can defeat gyara, but not without taking on heavy damage, either by taking on heavy damage or leaving half your team with less than half their health or letting gyara's team mates set up while you wasted time roosting/sleeping.

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 116 HP/ 180 Spe /212 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roar
- Roost

The ev's allow you to outrun jolly max speed lucario by 5 points( providing your speed iv is 31 )
The spA ev's allow you to reach 339, this will allow you to OHKO lots of pokes with heat wave
The extra hp ev's will allow you to take more physical hits

M Dragon

The north wind
World Defender
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 116 HP/ 180 Spd /212 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roar
- Roost

The ev's allow you to outrun jolly max speed lucario by 5 points( providing your speed iv is 31 )
The spA ev's allow you to reach 339, this will allow you to OHKO lots of pokes with heat wave
I will test this EV spread now. Thanx

Every physical atacker with a water move seems to give me lots of problems
can celebi be a good zapdos replacement?

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wont 5 leftovers break the item clause rule ?

i would put light screen over toxic spikes on forry

edit :Try these ev's on zappy 216 hp / 120 def / 172 spe

i saw on the analysis that zapdos dont need any spA ev's to OHKO - 2HKO gyarados try this set
This is as bulky as you can do if you want to outrun jolly lucario without a bold nature

That's what I call a "dirt" team-Rock, Ground...all of those types I keep myself away from. I do agree Zapdos can go-and use Swampert insted. Avalanche/Waterfall or Aqua Tail/EQ/take your pick.
No-one cares about your distain from "dirt" teams, people here are posting teams that do well, and/or they need a little help imporving so they can be the best that they can possibly be. Now if you dont mind please think before you post in another RMT.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 116 HP/ 180 Spe /212 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roar
- Roost

Why 5 extra points, why not run 172 Speed EVs at it will then allow him to transfer 8 Extra EVs into HP, may not seem like a big deal but what is the point of wasting EVs, if you want even more bulk you could chuck even more of the EVs from Sp. Atk to Def or HP to allow it to take more hits and phaze more effectively. If you want to run an aggressive spread HP Grass will work well with the ability to hit Swampert for Super Effective damage. I would reccomend it over Heat Wave.

wont 5 leftovers break the item clause rule ?

i would put light screen over toxic spikes on forry
Please he already has shed shell to deal with Magnezone and he has at least two switch ins to it (Regirock and / or Blissey) Blissey can protect from explosions. Item clause is not engforced on any forum I have been on, so I don't know where youve got that from, again please think before you post in another RMT.

I will test this EV spread now. Thanx

Every physical atacker with a water move seems to give me lots of problems
can celebi be a good zapdos replacement?
Celebi IMO will make you ridiculously Mix Ape weak, there are a few things you can do to fix this, change reflect to thunder wave on Rotom to allow him to take a hit and then cripple Infernape, you can keep Zapdos and make him Calm with the SpA EVs put into special defence, as for physical waters keep Rotom alive enought to hit them back with Thunderbolt / Thunder Wave, Celebi would be a good idea, but Like I said, would make you ridiculously Mix Ape weak. Hope some of this helped :D

M Dragon

The north wind
World Defender
Well, MJ has suggested me sleeptalkgyara instead Zapdos, and i am goint to test it
It covers mixape, luke, heracross... and gives me a sleep talker, which is nice

If I finally decide to continue using zapdos, i will give it more sp def EVs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)