Choices to be Made [OU Warstory]

This is my first warstory here on Smogon! I just want to say that I love reading all the great warstories here and I hope to contribute to them. So I'm chickensandwichk, not a well known user as I don't post much and I'm not an amazing battler but I still like to browse this website and play the occasional Shoddy match.

Anyway, this is a battle of my OU Empoleon team against an odd team. I don't want to say too much about the opponent's team before the battle but I'll just let you know that he had some surprise sets as well as some obvious ones making it for quite the match. Enjoy!

chickensandwichk's team:

Marik's team will be shown below

Marik's moves will look like this.
chickensandwichk's moves will look like this.
other text will look like this.
Nicknames will be removed.
Sandstorm/hail damage will be removed.
Scores will be shown after each KO.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Soul Dew Clause
Marik sent out Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
chickensandwichk sent out Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).

I recognize the user but I don't know why. I always play the first few turns as if the opponent is of below average skill but seeing Starmie as a lead tells me that it's an anti-lead ... funny cause my Luke is also an anti-lead however I seem to be on the short end here since Counter won't do anything against Starmie. I decide that I'll come out on top because of my Crunch + Priority move while all he can do is break my sash.

Starmie used Hydro Pump.
Lucario lost 100% of its health.
Lucario hung on using its Focus Sash!
Starmie lost 10% of its health.
Lucario used Crunch.
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 87% of its health.
---

- 0%
- 3%

Confirmation that his Starmie is an anti-lead by evident of Hydro Pump over Surf. I was surprised that Crunch didn't activate its sash and even more surprised that it didn't have a Sash. I can still KO it with Extremespeed though so whatever. Since Starmie was an anti-lead I expect him to sac it as it's low on health and has a LO but in retrospect that was foolish of me because he can save it to inflict a decent amount of damage later on or spin away any entry hazards later making his Starmie still useful. All I knew here was that Luke was still safe from being KO'd.

Marik switched in Rotom-h (lvl 100 Rotom-h).
Lucario used Extremespeed.
It doesn't affect Rotom-h...
---
- 0%
-h - 100%
- 3%

Good but obvious switch on his part. I should've seen it coming and Crunch'd again but I was worried about that Starmie coming in again later on and I just wanted to get it out of the way. I'll admit that I don't research or play enough to be familiar with all the stats of most Pokemon so I don't know who's faster here but I'm pretty sure Luke is since SD Luke beats Rotom. I figure'd I'd sac Luke to scout what kind of set Rotom is running and to inflict some damage.

Rotom-h used Thunderbolt.
Lucario lost 0% of its health.
chickensandwichk's Lucario fainted.
(6-5)

-h - 100%
- (fnt)

---

Ah, and the first 'Mon bites the dust. Although I lost Luke without getting a kill, I gained valuable info about Rotom learning that it is holding a Scarf. Well, again, I'm not too sure but I'm pretty sure since I'm not really familiar with Rotom's speed stat. Since I figured he's choiced on an elec attack, I;d get some free Rocks up with my Swampert. Luke did a good job of scouting and I wasn't too upset over the loss ... not that I usually get upset over the loss of Luke =;( lol

chickensandwichk switched in Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).
Marik switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Swampert used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
---
- 100%
- 3%
- 100%

I was kicking myself here. The moment I clicked for SR, I was like "NO WAIT SWAMP! ATTACK! NO ROCKS!" because the Starmie switch in was so obvious. Well it isn't too bad since Starmie can't OHKO Swampert and it'll die as it Spins. Switching in Starmie was the best move he could've done cause Starmie would die to Rocks later on in the game. Since Starmie would die from LO recoil next turn I figured I'd go for the Waterfall to not let on any more information than necessary even though it's obvious that I'm running the typical Defensive Swampert set.

Starmie used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
Swampert lost 100% of its health.
chickensandwichk's Swampert fainted.
(6-4)
Starmie lost 3% of its health.
Marik's Starmie fainted.
(5-4)
---

- (fnt)
- (fnt)

I didn't know Starmie anti-leads carry Grassknot! 0_0 I guess he banked on that as I haven't been battling too spectacular here. Now I'm at a big disadvantage cause I usually overtax Swampert and now I won't have him around to bail me out when I need it. I don't know if that was a good move on his part or a bad move on mine but he's definetly building momentum against my team ... however, I at least have Rocks up and that's momentum within itself. With a fresh new start I decide to send out my CBMence to score a KO on the usual bulkyoffensive Pokemon people usually send out after a double-KO. I was debating whether or not to send out my Infernape but I figured Infernape is more like my Ace-in-the-Hole and I'd rather save him for later. Go, go Sally!

Marik switched in Porygonz (lvl 100 Porygonz).
chickensandwichk switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Porygonz's attack!
Porygonz's Download raised its stats!
Porygonz's attack was raised.
Pointed stones dug into Porygonz.
Porygonz lost 12% of its health.

- 100%
- 88%

Ah, PorygonZ with Download. Well now I know he's Choiced but I don't want to assume its Specs or Scarf yet. If it's a Scarf, I figur'd he'd go for the Ice Beam but if its Specs then I bet he'll go for the Normal STAB attack. (haha, writing this log, I barley realized that PSZ's Download activated afer my Intimidate signaling that my Salamence was faster. XD) Either way, my bulky Rotom will take not so much from either attack ... or at least I hope so. I'm really hoping that I didn't mispredict and that the PSZ doesn't use Nasty Plot because then I'd be in big trouble since I don't think I could really take him. Anyway, go Rotom, switch in for free!

Marik switched in Blissey (lvl 100 Blissey ?).
Pointed stones dug into Blissey.
Blissey lost 12% of its health.
chickensandwichk switched in Rotom-s (lvl 100 Rotom-s).
Blissey's leftovers restored its health a little!
Blissey restored 6% of its health.
---

- 94%
- 88%
-s - 100%
- 100%

AHA! So the PSZ isn't Scarf'd. This is much better for me. MUCH better. Empoleon would like to come in on any of the resisted attacks this guy may throw out later on in the battle so PSZ could be potential set up fodder for me later. I see a possible way to victory however this Blissey is a bigger problem for me. Thunderwave wrecks the rest of my team and Toxic hurts everyone except for Empoleon, however I can't send in Emp on Blissey for obvious reasons. lol. I figur'd that Bliss would Wave for sure so I have to keep Rotom in even though he can't touch Bliss at all.

Rotom-s used Discharge.
Blissey lost 11% of its health.
Blissey used Thunder Wave.
Rotom-s is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---

- 89%
- 100% (paralyzed)

This is really where the fun begins. I used Discharge to hopefully get some ParaHax on Bliss but avast, no luck there. As predicted, Rotom was Waved and is now Para'd but all is not lost. He is now forced to either switch, attack, or Wave again. I figur'd he'd Wave again cause a switch from me at this point is the most obvious move however that point isn't valid if he switches. He basically gets the next turn for free so I thought I'd Discharge to get his next switch in Para'd and gain some much needed momentum.

Blissey used Ice Beam.
Rotom-s lost 18% of its health.
Rotom-s used Discharge.
Blissey lost 10% of its health.
Rotom-s's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rotom-s restored 6% of its health.
---

- 75%
-s - 87% (paralyzed)

Most Bliss' carry only one attack right? Well at least I know that Bliss has Ice Beam / Softboiled / TWave / and something. Ice Beam might be his only attack or he might have just been trying to catch Mence on the switch, I don't know at this point. Both Rotom and Bliss did pretty much no damage to each other so the next turn could be really surprising. One of us has to switch and if he switches, he risks getting hit by STAB Discharge with the chance of getting para'd and I risk getting another member of my team Para'd and the rest of my team need their speed. However, I'm getting no where this way so I'll go for the on guy I have left who resists Ice Beam and can beat Blissey. Go Go Nape!

chickensandwichk switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).
Blissey used Ice Beam.
It's not very effective...
Infernape lost 15% of its health.
---

- 81%
- 85%

Bueno. Now that I have my goo'-ol' Ace-in-the-Hole in ... the hole, so to speak, I can finally kill something on his team. (Starmie pretty much killed itself) My Nape isn't the typical MixedApe that is used outside of LeadApe but instead it's a physical Ape with Life Orb. 252/252/4 Jolly with the typical STAB moves as well as Mach Punch and Stone Edge for Gyarados. Let the sacrificing begin!

Marik switched in Rotom-h (lvl 100 Rotom-h).
Pointed stones dug into Rotom-h.
Rotom-h lost 12% of its health.
Infernape used Flare Blitz.
Rotom-h lost 88% of its health.
Marik's Rotom-h fainted.
(4-4)
Infernape was hit by recoil!
Infernape lost 24% of its health.
Infernape lost 10% of its health.
---

-h - (fnt)
- 88%
- 51%

Rotom switching in to an uneffective Close Combat aimed at Blissey was too obvious so I figured I'd hit it with a strong Flare Blitz. I had no idea that it'd get KO'd though but I was pretty happy about it. Seeing the Scarf'd Rotom made me remember that both Rotom and PSZ were Choic'd and I figur'd he wouldn't have two Scarf'd special attacks so this just solidified my idea that PSZ was Spec'd ... although I should've probably known this in the first place. Oh well. Now that Infernape basically martyr'd himself by taking ~49%, I didn't know if I should go out in a blaze of glory (punny aint it?) or if I should switch out and save him again. I know Infernape would beat his PSZ if it came down to it so I know I should save Infernape.

Marik switched in Breloom (lvl 100 Breloom ?).
Pointed stones dug into Breloom.
Breloom lost 6% of its health.

Ruh-Roh ... Breloom. Breloom is the Pokemon I HATE the most to fight against. Brelooms almost always decimate my teams and he is the reason why I use Rotom-S! Anyway, seeing how Breloom is slow and fragile, I'm really wondering why he sent it out against Infernape. I guess it's one of them scarf'd Looms. Well actually ... I've never seen a ScarfLoom outside of being a lead so I don't know what to think it is. I could send in Salamence to Intimidate and take a resisted attack but I don't want him to get slept. Since I doubt the Loom is Scarf'd and Infernape has it beat, I was thinking that my opponent was just trying to make me waste Infernape through Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil. So ... Go Infernny, FLAME ON!

Breloom used Mach Punch.

=O

Infernape lost 37% of its health.

=D

Infernape used Flare Blitz.
It's super effective!
Breloom lost 94% of its health.
Marik's Breloom fainted.
(3-4)
Infernape was hit by recoil!
Infernape lost 14% of its health.
chickensandwichk's Infernape fainted.

=(

(3-3)

- (fnt)
- (fnt)

---

I completly forgot about the possibility of a priority attack from Breloom. I don't even think I knew Breloom learned Mach Punch. Anyway, at least Infernape took out two of my opponent's Pokes so I'm not too worried. PSZ can be played around with the guys I have left and Nape took out my most hated Pokemon so I think he did well this round.

The match is now even at 3-3 with again, a double-KO happening. We both know that I have Salamence and Rotom as well as an unknown Poke (Empoleon) and I know he has PSZ and Blissey as well as an unknown Poke. I have Stealth Rocks up while he doesn't which is great because have a Mence on my team. Since Blissey can stop Empoleon and I don't know what that last Poke is, I can't send in Empoleon yet so in order to soften up the rest of his team and cause some chaos, I send in Salamence again. After all, CBMence beats both his Blissey and Blissey haha.

chickensandwichk:
-s

vs

Marik switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Pointed stones dug into Jirachi.
Jirachi lost 6% of its health.
Salamence's intimidate cut Jirachi's attack!

AHA! So there's my opponent's Rocker (stealth rocks). Jirachi ... Jirachi, how I know you well. I'd bet that that Jirachi is holding a Scarf so I better high tail it out of there. Now then, sending in Empoleon on a -1 Ice Punch may seem like the perfect opprotunity but Blissey is still alive and I'd be wasting turns, PP, as well as HP. I can't leave Salamence in on this guy cause of the expected Ice Punch coming but with the -1 attack, Rotom is free to force him out. Go go Rotom!

chickensandwichk switched in Rotom-s (lvl 100 Rotom-s).
Jirachi used Ice Punch.
Rotom-s lost 15% of its health.
Rotom-s's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rotom-s restored 6% of its health.

-s - 73% (paralyzed)
- 100%
- 94% (-1 Atk)
---

Yup, Rotom takes the ice punch and recovers almost half of the damage dealt with lefties. Not having Rocks up is really good for me and is definetly putting the pressure on my opponent. Now that it's late game, I have my strategy to win in place. First, I have to kill Blissey with Salamence. Then, I switch Empoleon in on the resisted attack aimed at Salamence (PSZ's Tri-Attack / Ice Beam or Jirachi's Fire / Ice Punch / Iron Head), Agility up, Sub down to Petaya Berry boost, and win. However, the problem with that is Blissey is OHKO'd by Outrage and if I Outrage, Jirachi could switch in on it and OHKO me, leaving me with no way to kill Blissey and then I lose.

But right now, I got Rotom out. Rotom can't do anything anymore as it's Para'd and he has Blissey. "Blissey, Blissey, Blissey ..." I bet you're tired of that by now. Well, so was I so it's time for the fattness to die. Go go go Sally!

Marik switched in Blissey (lvl 100 Blissey ?).
Pointed stones dug into Blissey.
Blissey lost 12% of its health.
Salamence's intimidate cut Blissey's attack!
---

- 82% (-1 Atk lol)
- 94%
- 100%
-s - 73% (paralyzed)

Yes, the double-switch worked. I'm a big fan of the double switch ... but I usually overpredict it and lose something or lots of HP. XD. But anyway, it worked here and all of his Pokes are threatened by a OHKO. Since Salamence is my key to victory here and Blissey is the blockade that has been holding me back from victory this confrontation could be what decides the match. Earthquake won't OHKO and I don't think Dragon Claw will either. Outrage would be he might switch to Jirachi expecting it. I expect him to switch to Jirachi to take the Outrage so I go for the Earthquake to catch him slipping.

anthonyf has entered the room.
who?
Salamence used Earthquake.
Blissey lost 62% of its health.
Blissey used Thunder Wave.
Salamence is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

- 20%
- 100% (paralyzed)

---

Damn. Bliss stayed in and I'm paralyzed. I guess my way of thinking was incorrect. He doesn't know how important Bliss is to his survival so he was willing to sac it. Well since all I need is Bliss to be gone and since I know he won't switch to either of his remaining Pokes, it's either me or Blissey right now. I just need to survive an Ice Beam and not get fully para'd. Easy, right?

Blissey used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 87% of its health.
Salamence used Earthquake.
Blissey lost 29% of its health.
Marik's Blissey fainted.
(2-3)

- (fnt)
- 13%
---

Awesome ... I'm just amazed that Ice Beam didn't OHKO. Now my path is clear and with my opponent's last two Pokes being Choiced, playing around them should be easy. But wait, Rotom and Sally are both para'd which means that Jirachi and PSZ beat both of them. I have to get Empoleon in on an unboosted attack but because Emp's HP is so vital (HP ... vital ... get it? XD) I don't want to switch in on anything. Looks like your time has come Sally, you did me well. =;(

Marik switched in Porygonz (lvl 100 Porygonz).
Porygonz's Download raised its stats!
Porygonz's attack was raised.
Pointed stones dug into Porygonz.
Porygonz lost 12% of its health.
Porygonz used Dark Pulse.
Salamence lost 13% of its health.
chickensandwichk's Salamence fainted.
(2-2)

- 76%
- (fnt)
---

Wow. Dark Pulse? Was catching Rotom really worth being locked in on a Dark attack? Or is being locked in on a Dark really not that bad? He doesn't know it but this is gg right here. I love how Empoleon resists like ... everything. Final stage - Empoleon, GO!

chickensandwichk switched in Empoleon (lvl 100 Empoleon ?).
Empoleon lost 27% of its health.
Empoleon used Agility.
Empoleon's speed was sharply raised.

- 73% (+2 Spe)
- 76%
---

Empoleon sweeps by getting an Agility up and then subbing down to a Petaya berry boost so that in the end, it will theoritically have a +2 in Spe and a +1 in SAtk. Dark Pulse did more than 25% which means I can't preserve a sub for Jirachi. Well I got the Agility so that's good enough. It's time to Surf this guy outta here.

Empoleon used Surf.
Porygonz lost 71% of its health.
Empoleon lost 28% of its health.

- 45% (+2 Spe)
- 5%
---

Hmmm, Surf didn't finish him off and I can still take one more Dark Pulse. I pretty much have a free turn here. I know Jirachi is Scarf'd so idk if Empoleon can outspeed him with one Agility. I'll use my next turn to Agility up so I can outspeed him for sure and so that PSZ will Pulse again and will activate my berry boost.

Empoleon used Agility.
Empoleon's speed was sharply raised.
Empoleon lost 27% of its health.
Empoleon's Petaya Berry raised its special attack!

- 18% (+4 Spe, +1 SAtk, Torrent)
- 5%
---

Now PSZ is ready to be picked off by my buffed up penguin!

Empoleon used Surf.
Porygonz lost 4% of its health.
Marik's Porygonz fainted.
(1-2)

- (fnt)
---
Marik switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Pointed stones dug into Jirachi.
Jirachi lost 6% of its health.

You know, I never put Empoleon against Jirachi. Jirachi does have some SR damage but like I said, I'm not familiar with some Pokemon's stat, e.g. Jiarchi's SDef! Meh, I'm not worried ... <_< >_>

Empoleon used Surf.
Jirachi lost 88% of its health.
Marik's Jirachi fainted.
(0-2)

- (fnt)

I win 2-0 thanks to Empoleon being abile to beat Jirachi with a +1 STAB, Torrent boosted Surf. Empoleon really is an amazing sweeper.

chickensandwichk wins!
Marik has left the room.

Marik's team:

Props:
Marik for giving me an awesome battle!
My whole team for doing their jobs ... except for Lucario. XD
No hax!
You for reading!

Slops:
Lucario for not getting a kill!
thats about it ... i think

So yeah that's about it. I titled it "Choices to be Made" because Marik's team had 3 Choice users and I had one in addition to having to predict around his moves and him outpredicting me a few times. I just wanted something catchy haha. XD

Tell me what you thought about anything; the formatting, the teams, the battle, the Poke sets used, etc. etc. Thanks for reading!

This log was formatted using Warmachine Version 1.0

Nas

Banned deucer.
Nice warstory, but it would've been better if you didn't spoil the ending by telling us that Empoleon swept...

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Nice warstory, but it would've been better if you didn't spoil the ending by telling us that Empoleon swept...
Not really, it was expected near the end.

Anyway, great story. I see your team revolves around an Empoleon sweep, but I don't see what his team was.

Nice warstory. I loved how you not only executed your strategy, but also gave us insight of it. Good job.

One minor nitpick. Swampert is the 3rd most used lead. How could you expect Starmie not to carry Grass Knot? Maybe you are not familiar with the shining star, but sadly I have to say it was a foreseeable move.

Great warstory :)

Enjoyable through not the best in terms of prediction and stuff it was very fun for some reason. Very nice for a first try and not onr
e of those warstories you can't be bothered to finish reading and want to fall asleep through...

Nitpick: How could you not know Jirachi's base stats...she's one of the base 100 all around Pokes?

Not the best warstory, but I think it was pretty good for a first time, and I enjoyed it. Well done!
I agree, though it wasn't quite up to par with the other archived warstories, we have to take into consideration that it was only your first, and it was a pretty decent one at that. I'll be looking forward to more of your warstories in the future :)

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Echoing everyones sentiments. It wasn't an amazing warstory (a few mistakes riddled throughout) but it wasn't too bad either. Looking forward on your imminent improvement as a writer and a battler.

Nice warstory for your first ;)

About the end: He never said that he actually won in the whole warstory, but acted like it. It's a good way of forcing the readers guard down, and then surprising them with an epic ending. Well, there wasn't one here, but oh well...

Thanks to everyone for both their criticisms and comments! I love warstories so I'll write another one day and it'll definetly be better next time. I'm glad most of you enjoyed it. :D
Great warstory :)

Enjoyable through not the best in terms of prediction and stuff it was very fun for some reason. Very nice for a first try and not onr
e of those warstories you can't be bothered to finish reading and want to fall asleep through...

Nitpick: How could you not know Jirachi's base stats...she's one of the base 100 all around Pokes?
Thanks!

Oh, I don't remember how I phrased it in the warstory but what I meant was I'm not familiar with how bulky Choice Scarf Jirachi is after EV investment. I'll rewrite it ... but I mainly just wrote that little segment because some users were complaining that I ruined the story. Just my try at adding some suspense even though the outcome was obvious. ^_^

Nice warstory. I loved how you not only executed your strategy, but also gave us insight of it. Good job.

One minor nitpick. Swampert is the 3rd most used lead. How could you expect Starmie not to carry Grass Knot? Maybe you are not familiar with the shining star, but sadly I have to say it was a foreseeable move.
Thanks!

I guess it just slipped my mind that Starmie might carry Grass Knot. It wasn't that I thought about it and disregarded the thought, I just never even thought of the possibility that Starmie would use Grass Knot. So yeah, I wasn't familiar with "the shining star."

Great war story, it was pretty fun. XD

This makes me want to try out Empoleon D:
It's funny cause I first tried Empoleon because of a warstory I once read here. I highly recommend using him as a sweeper! Thanks and good luck!

I liked the warstory. The comments revealed your thought processes well, and there was a lot of prediction near the end. The biggest mistakes you made were not knowing that lead Starmie carry Grass Knot, and not seeing that PorygonZ was faster just from the ability priority on the switch-in.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I liked this Warstory a lot. Your thought process was excellent, and the story unfolded rather nicely. A relatively short game, but a good one.

I liked the warstory itself and the comments were very thorough; the format was also pretty nice....for some reason your writing style bored me a little but that was a minor distraction at best. Excellent attempt!

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Agh what else am I to put with all of these people praising you?

I thoroughly enjoyed this warstory, I'm not entirely sure how as your bad jokes/puns and purple/green formatting got on my nerves slightly but it's nice to see a team with the Air Slash Rotom (whether or not it had Air Slash). I don't usually post on warstories but I believe that this one is especially worth of merit (and it's your first? agh everyone beats me :P)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)