Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 19 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is capable of sweeping through a significant portion of teams in the metagame with little effort.

Defensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is able to wall and stall out a significant portion of the metagame.

Support Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other pokemon to sweep.
Specifically the Defensive Characteristic. Blissey is referred to as the number 1 Special Wall in the game.
The #1 special wall in the game has had to reinvent itself slightly to keep up with DPP's new special threats.
She's still the absolute best special wall in the game, hands down.
Both of these quotes are from the Smogon Strategydex's entry on Blissey. These views are accepted by the entire Smogon Community. Many Players, unless prepared, are completely walled by Blissey. My question is simply, Why is Blissey not Uber, or at least Suspect?

Blissey is able to wall one side of the attacking spectrum entirely and is used by many players in the Uber tier already due to its effectiveness, and Blissey is able to stall quite efficently using Softboiled, Protect and Wish.

Looking at the Support definition of Uber, Blissey also does a decent job of this. She can Wishpass, Inflict status, increasing the teams likelyhood of sweeping, and use Aromatherapy to clear the status problems of ones own team.

So Blissey is able to wall roughly half of the standard metagame, in my opinion qualifying for the Defensive Characteristic and at the same time is able to Stall efficently. She can also do a passable job at support.

So why isn't she Uber?

Making Blissey Uber would revolutionise Pokemon, changing the way Pokemon is played, both offensively and defensively.

I understand that Blissey would have to go through the suspect process and be voted Uber but, in my opinion, Blissey should be moved to the Uber category and banned from standard play, allowing the expansion of OU and the stablisation of the Uber tier.

The way I see it, Pokemon would benefit from the retiering of Blissey.

So, my question is, Why is Blissey in the OU tier and not Uber or at least Suspect?

In a nutshell, because Blissey is scared as eff by Physical Attackers, and also the fact that Wallbreakers and MixSweepers DO break down Blissey's pudgy HP.

what happens when a pokemon whose ability is trace (copies enemies ability) battles a pokemon whose ability is mold breaker (cancels out enemies ability)

Does the pokemon with trace, trace mold breaker and cancel out the opponents mold breaker or the the oppnent with mold breaker cancel out trace before it traces anything?????

what happens when a pokemon whose ability is trace (copies enemies ability) battles a pokemon whose ability is mold breaker (cancels out enemies ability)

Does the pokemon with trace, trace mold breaker and cancel out the opponents mold breaker or the the oppnent with mold breaker cancel out trace before it traces anything?????
Mold Breaker only stops abilities that interfere with the moves used by the Pokemon with the ability. So in your case, both Pokemon will have Mold Breaker but it won't effect anything.

Why do people on these boards waste sometimes hours on soft resetting for one pokemon? after all it has no real impact on how you play the game.

Why do people on these boards waste sometimes hours on soft resetting for one pokemon? after all it has no real impact on how you play the game.
in-game, it rarely matters, but people SR/breed for good IVs for wifi/wireless battles against other competitive players.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Umm that's probably why you're not going to worlds and I am. :P

On that same note...Hey, how hard is it to SR for the Birds in Platinum? It might be faster for me than speeding through LG. I just caught them in XD, but they all suuuuuucked and unfortunately the Nazis at Nintendo made it so that you can't even SR for them and check them ONCE!!!

I've obviously beaten Platinum, but haven't even been to Pal Park (too busy no need to).

What do you do? I heard you talk to Oak or something and that's the moment their stats are set and they start roaming and you can just save, catch them, if one sucks kill em all and talk to oak and they roam again with new IVs/ nature.

Is this true? If so, how can you find them when they roam? What's the fastest way?

I'm sure this is TMI to post here, but please PM me with a link to a guide (haven't been able to find a detailed one yet) or just the info I need.

THanks!

What do the Pokemon (Lugia, Ho-Oh, Lucario, Tauros, Skarmory, and Salamence) represent on Smogon's coat of arms? I know Koffing is the mascot..

What do the Pokemon (Lugia, Ho-Oh, Lucario, Tauros, Skarmory, and Salamence) represent on Smogon's coat of arms? I know Koffing is the mascot..
If I were to take a good guess, Lucario, Tauros, Skarmary and Salamence are there to represent one pokemon from each generation but as for Lugia and Ho-Oh I have no clue.

Mattj, yes, you are correct, the IV's and natures are set from the moment you speak to Professor Oak. The marking map on the Poketch will show you where the birds are, but unfortunately, not any specifically. It also shows you where the Mesprit and Cresselia are roaming (their IV's and natures are also set at the moment of "speaking" to them). There's a thread for this specifically: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47611

(I caught a bold Zapdos that was something like 31/x/0/22/23/29)

edit: There aren't guides yet for the birds, however in the Mesprit section it tells you the easiest way to find roaming pokes)

Hello. I have been a competitive battler for a bit now (or at least have tried to be). I have been doing OU ever since I started. But now, the UU tier has intrigued me and I want to start battling in it.

My question is: What is the first thing I should do to become involved in the UU tier?

Hello. I have been a competitive battler for a bit now (or at least have tried to be). I have been doing OU ever since I started. But now, the UU tier has intrigued me and I want to start battling in it.

My question is: What is the first thing I should do to become involved in the UU tier?
Look at the RMTs and the list of most used pokemon.
Make a lead that can get you good momentum. This is probably more important in UU than any other tier because of the diversity. A defensive core consisting of a speciel and physical wall should suffice. An offensive core of 2 wallbreakers is good remember that in your 4 person core, it is important to have a grass, fire, and water. Then a final late game sweeper.

don't know if it the ideal method but..

bring up another tab click quote, copy it, go back to the tab with the original post, click edit, paste it, write your comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)