Good Books?

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i can understand a high-school student not getting moby-dick, but what the hell is there to hate about the old man and the sea?
Maybe that absolutely nothing happens whatsoever? Look, I just do not buy that there was anything to it, I'm sorry. Besides, even if you do believe in a "second level" to The Old Man and the Sea, it's not so much enjoyable reading as it is scholastic reading. I threw out Hamlet and Fathers and Sons as "good books" because, while undoubtedly scholastic, there is also a level of enjoyability to them, including PLOT and ACTION, and NOT 30+ pages of descriptions of gutting a marlin or the history of whales that come out of nowhere to break up the story. Moby Dick is enjoyable if you only read the half WHERE SOMETHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS, but I take it this thread is only for entire books, not parts of books. Also, don't think your subtle dig at my being in high school was lost upon me...keep in mind that, while age can certainly aid in understanding, age is nothing to discount one's opinions over without two seconds' worth of thought.

I've been told that the first Dexter book was better than the first season of the show, but all of the subsequent books were worse than the subsequent seasons of the TV show. What's your word on that?

Maybe that absolutely nothing happens whatsoever? Look, I just do not buy that there was anything to it, I'm sorry. Besides, even if you do believe in a "second level" to The Old Man and the Sea, it's not so much enjoyable reading as it is scholastic reading. I threw out Hamlet and Fathers and Sons as "good books" because, while undoubtedly scholastic, there is also a level of enjoyability to them, including PLOT and ACTION, and NOT 30+ pages of descriptions of gutting a marlin or the history of whales that come out of nowhere to break up the story. Moby Dick is enjoyable if you only read the half WHERE SOMETHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS, but I take it this thread is only for entire books, not parts of books. Also, don't think your subtle dig at my being in high school was lost upon me...keep in mind that, while age can certainly aid in understanding, age is nothing to discount one's opinions over without two seconds' worth of thought.
haha, i'm discounting your opinions because they're dumb opinions. the high-schooler thing was not a dig - i meant to give you an excuse.

if your problem with moby-dick and the old man and the sea was, as you say, about lack of action, then there's no way you could have enjoyed hamlet. it is a play about nothing happening. the entire play is built on prince hamlet's refusal to act. there is a death and a fight with pirates but both are deliberately off-stage, and apart from polonius' murder, there is no real action until the very last scene.

in the old man and the sea, hemingway is reacting against both the romantic and modernist sides of moby-dick. melville takes a whaling voyage and turns it into a metaphysical drama, a gigantic ridiculous conversation between himself and the reader on any number of topics. his prose is used to build ideas up, to make things seem greater and more important than they are. he infuses everything with meaning.

hemingway strips the same story down to the barest form it can take. he leaves his prose plain, in order not to add anything beyond what the events of the story will tell. he is interested in letting a story speak for itself, and he thinks the author's job is to convey, as simply and clearly as possible, what is happening - not what it is supposed to mean. that is why the old man and the sea is so effective: it is a thrilling, suspenseful story told without any trimmings at all. moby-dick, like hamlet, delays action to build character and suspense, and to make room for musings on the author's part. the old man and the sea is the complete opposite. there is nothing except the action of the story.

i believe that you didn't enjoy them, but you might want to look at your reasons again. moby-dick in particular is very difficult to enjoy until one has developed the taste for technical excellence. that takes a long time, and requires a lot of reading and appreciation of other media. (i don't think you have this yet, because you still imagine there to be a difference between "enjoyable" and "scholastic" reading, and that the mark of a good story is that it has a "second level".) sorry if you thought i was laughing at your age, i'm not; i find it very impressive that anyone in high school is reading things like moby-dick and hamlet, especially on their own. but it's probably wise to admit to yourself that there's a vast amount of literature that you are not yet familiar with, and that biologically your brain has not yet finished developing. (i have to admit this too, whenever i get on my personal soapbox.) moby-dick is consistently cited as one of the greatest novels of all time, by people who have studied in the field for decades. if it's not speaking to you right now, it's not melville's fault. come back to it in a couple of years, and see how you feel.

it's praise for how the book was written, i guess? i don't really see what you're getting at

(there are many melville things i wouldn't describe as technically excellent)

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
haha, i'm discounting your opinions because they're dumb opinions. the high-schooler thing was not a dig - i meant to give you an excuse.

if your problem with moby-dick and the old man and the sea was, as you say, about lack of action, then there's no way you could have enjoyed hamlet. it is a play about nothing happening. the entire play is built on prince hamlet's refusal to act. there is a death and a fight with pirates but both are deliberately off-stage, and apart from polonius' murder, there is no real action until the very last scene.

in the old man and the sea, hemingway is reacting against both the romantic and modernist sides of moby-dick. melville takes a whaling voyage and turns it into a metaphysical drama, a gigantic ridiculous conversation between himself and the reader on any number of topics. his prose is used to build ideas up, to make things seem greater and more important than they are. he infuses everything with meaning.

hemingway strips the same story down to the barest form it can take. he leaves his prose plain, in order not to add anything beyond what the events of the story will tell. he is interested in letting a story speak for itself, and he thinks the author's job is to convey, as simply and clearly as possible, what is happening - not what it is supposed to mean. that is why the old man and the sea is so effective: it is a thrilling, suspenseful story told without any trimmings at all. moby-dick, like hamlet, delays action to build character and suspense, and to make room for musings on the author's part. the old man and the sea is the complete opposite. there is nothing except the action of the story.

i believe that you didn't enjoy them, but you might want to look at your reasons again. moby-dick in particular is very difficult to enjoy until one has developed the taste for technical excellence. that takes a long time, and requires a lot of reading and appreciation of other media. (i don't think you have this yet, because you still imagine there to be a difference between "enjoyable" and "scholastic" reading, and that the mark of a good story is that it has a "second level".) sorry if you thought i was laughing at your age, i'm not; i find it very impressive that anyone in high school is reading things like moby-dick and hamlet, especially on their own. but it's probably wise to admit to yourself that there's a vast amount of literature that you are not yet familiar with, and that biologically your brain has not yet finished developing. (i have to admit this too, whenever i get on my personal soapbox.) moby-dick is consistently cited as one of the greatest novels of all time, by people who have studied in the field for decades. if it's not speaking to you right now, it's not melville's fault. come back to it in a couple of years, and see how you feel.
I guess I will answer your post in the order in which you wrote it. First of all, the problem with Moby Dick is not a lack of action so much as a lack of focus on the plot, and as a result, the lack of "action". By action, I am not referring to sword fights or daring escapades, but rather to what ACTUALLY HAPPENS in the story. "Action", then, is not necessarily physical action, but the buildup to and continuous threat of that action. In Hamlet, there is a danger in nearly every scene that he will suddenly go crazy and start killing people(as does happen at times even before the end, such as when he kills Polonius, which you mentioned). Apart from that, there is the wit and general level of speech that builds up the tension, builds up the possibility of action. Every single scene leads the reader closer and closer to the final conflict, and NOTHING happens that does not aid in this endeavor.

Now, I am not denying that Moby Dick has its passages of wit, humor, as well as "action" as I have defined it. HOWEVER, like I said, that one-half of tremendous book is bogged down by the other half consisting of various intricacies of the whaling industry that have little or no bearing on the story, and so lack "action". They neither build tension nor seem to lead to any sort of development. They are just THERE, and while I cannot deny that Moby Dick is half-enjoyable, most would argue that "half-enjoyable" is not a desirable characteristic in such a hulking novel.

As for The Old Man and the Sea, how can you honestly claim it lacks "trimmings"? The ONLY decent argument I have ever heard as to why to read it is because Hemingway adds a "second level" of meaning to it. You are incorrect in me stating that having a "second level" makes a story interesting or enjoyable--what it makes a story is COMPLEX and THOUGHT-PROVOKING. Hemingway adds a remarkable amount of description to The Old Man and the Sea, however, the reason I do not find it complex or worthy of thought is because I honestly do not believe there is any rhyme or reason to it, it's just THERE, which makes the "second level" of The Old Man and the Sea detrimental, not beneficial as you claim I said.

As for "enjoyable" and "scholastic" reading, I think it is quite clear there is a marked difference between them. Scholastic reading is reading wherein the goal of the reader is to deepen his or her understanding of the world around him or her, or to otherwise better oneself through reading. This is why people read books like the Bible-they honestly believe it will enrich their lives somehow. "Enjoyable" reading is reading done for pleasure, plain and simple. Few people would argue that Harry Potter is a life-changing series of books(at least, I hope it wasn't for many people). Yet, so many read it. Why? Because they had fun reading the series. It seems as clear as day to me that there is a difference between scholastic and enjoyment reading. As for Moby Dick being a critically aclaimed novel...in the current day, it is. However, in the fifty years following it's publication, Moby Dick was largely panned and ignored by critics, and Melville died in poverty. It was not always loved by "the critics"(I only just realized what a broad generalization this is, and I apologize for using it, but by it I intend to mean "the vast majority of critics"), so why is it loved now? Are the critics now more sophisticated or better educated or more insightful than their 19th century counterparts? I doubt it. In short, how a book is received by the public only goes a little ways in determining how it will affect any given individual.

Now then, I would like to end this rant(and sadly, I will admit this was a bit of a rant, I can't seem to help myself sometimes and apologize if my points seem disorganized or jumbled) by pointing out that ultimately, the "scholastic" merits of a book hold little water in the context of this thread. My understanding is that what people are looking for here are "enjoyable" books, as I have defined them, and not life-changing ones. Also, argue as we may, no matter how thoroughly one or the other of us proves a book is "good", it comes down to the reader to either enjoy it OR be touched by it. As such, I see no reason to continue to argue over this...I, for one, know I am changed for the worse while in an argument, particularly online, and so my continuing to argue only harms myself and, possibly, you(I have no way of knowing how you respond to arguments either physically or mentally). Of course, it would be unfair of me to just say "alright, argument over" after I have posted a substantial "last word" of sorts, so I fully expect you to attempt(and quite possibly successfully attempt in the minds of many readers) to refute my arguments. I merely wish to say that I hope I have not offended anyone or earned any lasting enemies, my goal was simply to explain my point in a thorough manner and then move on. As for my age(it is the one thing I have been avoiding up until this point), I fully expect to change my views on many topics over the years, but that does not make any of my points, here in the present, any less valid. Alright, sorry for what I am certain must have been abundant grammatical mistakes, disorganization, and generally confusedness, but I am too tired to proof-read this whole post again. Friends, Dr. Heartbreak(and everyone else, for that matter)?

haha, friends of course. i'm sorry to be a grouch! i do think, though, that as you read more widely, your tastes and ideas will change. but nothing i say is going to help speed that process along, you'll come to it on your own.

Going to repost East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Best book I ever read.

I found Moby Dick similar to War and Peace- not much happening at times but full of underlying meanings and "humor." I loved The Old Man and the Sea.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
It is impressive to write while riding on the back of a great white shark as it jumps through flaming hoops, but it isnt necessarily changing the book at all.

You've missed out a variable I think, you are assuming we already understand why we should want to develop a taste for technically excellent writing. If you were a person with a taste for non-technically-excellent writing it would be much easier to just read non-technically-excellent books unless there is something about technically excellently written books that makes them worth developing a taste for other than being written technically excellently.

Just as an aside, I loved The Old Man and the Sea. Though in my life I have noticed a lot of girls tend to hate it. I dunno why..

Have a nice day.

I'm inclined to agree with UncleSam, in that I did not think Moby Dick was really a good book even if it did have some merit in it's construction. I'm not aware of it's historical placement in relation to other texts, but it's not the only book that has that kind of technical composition, so to me, it always felt (much like War and Peace, Joyce's Ulysses, and the majority of Shakespeare's work, I feel) to be a book that people say is 'good' when they really mean 'important' in terms of its place in the history of writing. (EDIT: I can't comment on Old Man of the Sea, as I have not read it).

A sad part of literary academia (and not purely writing, but art, music, film, and other media), I feel, is that texts that are 'difficult' are often construed as being better than other literature when in reality, their complexity and construction just serves as a foothold for a kind of intellectual elitism. A sort of Emperor's New Clothes, of sorts. That, and a bit of the death-of-the-author-birth-of-the-reader. (That said, I do tend to respond to hype by reacting the opposite way, even if I do like the novels. Harry Potter is a good example of this. I enjoyed them, and started reading them before the hype broke, but after the hype came I became more critical of them. I am the Le Chatlier's Principle of popular culture.)

And ultimately, as Uncle Sam points out, a book can be lofty and intellectual without being engaging or enjoyable, which is the primary purpose for all fictional media. It is designed for consumption. If a text is ingenious in its construction and originality, but is ultimately unreadable, then it can hardly be called a good book.

A note; this is not saying that a book can only be good if it's pulp and readable by everyone. There is construction for a purpose, and construction for constructions sake. For instance, I love Tom Stoppard's work, but it's not nearly as enjoyable if you don't understand the references he makes to Shakespeare, Agatha Christie, or Wilde.

It is for this reason that I list House of Leaves as the best book that I've ever read. It's extraordinarily esoteric (which I do like more than most people, I'd wager), and its construction is intimidating at first. However, despite the strangeness the story is entertaining and engaging, and so the construction supports the story excellently. If the story was weak, then the additional construction would be a detriment because it would make the sketchy material even harder to get into.

goodness, there's nothing i hate more than the old "emperor's new clothes" argument. people don't look at physics phds and say that they're pretending to understand einstein because it makes them feel smart.

dismissing "most of shakespeare's work" doesn't make you a revolutionary against some global conspiracy keeping him popular. it makes you an idiot.

It is impressive to write while riding on the back of a great white shark as it jumps through flaming hoops, but it isnt necessarily changing the book at all.
hip, i still don't really know what you're trying to say? i've never met herman melville. i have had no interaction with him except through his books. i don't think that saying those books are well-written is praising the author and not the book.

when i say well-written, i'm not talking about the situation the writer was in at the time of writing, i'm talking about the words that make up the book. how effectively the author builds tension, reveals character, structures his narrative. the beauty of his metaphors and images. etc.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I see.. I guess I was confused by your meaning when you said you need to develop a taste for it.

I dont know that that is something you develop a taste for. I mean you need sufficient knowledge to understand any metaphor, like you need to know what a dog is to understand that it is a bad thing for your girlfriend to be called one. And I guess you also need to recognise that when someone calls your girlfriend a dog they are referring to her looks and not her fierce loyalty. Sufficiently complex metaphors could require a great deal of knowledge..

Especially I think in terms of character, you need enough experience with people for literary characters to be believable and able to be empathised with..

But when you say develop a taste, I tend to think of continually forcing yourself to drink coffee so you can stay up late enough to finish your 5th form art board. Until finally you find that the association from the taste with the energy kick has sunk in enough that all of a sudden you cant get enough of the stuff..

Have a nice day.

goodness, there's nothing i hate more than the old "emperor's new clothes" argument. people don't look at physics phds and say that they're pretending to understand einstein because it makes them feel smart.
This is a poor analogy because literature is inherently subjective anyway; Einstein's work is a nonfictional statement of fact (interestingly, the interpretation of gravity as the curvature of spacetime was further confirmed in recent experiments reported in Nature last issue, I believe) and therefore qualitiatively distinct to fiction.

Actually, for clarity, where I said literature above, I meant only fictional works. For instance, philosophical works and treatises on theoretical or abstract notions within various fields are rarely entertaining or enjoyable, but they still have reading value because their entire purpose is to expand/change/question your way of thinking.

dismissing "most of shakespeare's work" doesn't make you a revolutionary against some global conspiracy keeping him popular. it makes you an idiot.
I don't mean to make it sound like I think it's all a cunning plot, although Shakespeare is afforded a status in high school education here that no other author is. (I don't know what it's like at university level, or in other regions). However, that may well be a product of the fact that the top literary scholars rarely become high school teachers, and not some conspiracy.

In fact, I think that King Lear, Hamlet, and Othello are all among the greatest plays ever written. I just don't extend that status to some of his other works. It's been my experience in discussions with people about literature that people use the existence of these plays to justify their statements that everything Shakespeare ever wrote was solid gold. I'm sure too that this is not something that only happens with Shakespeare, I just can't recall any examples off the top of my head from my personal experiences of other authors as well known.

EDIT: A further point of clarity; I don't mean to imply Shakespeare's other plays are unreadable/watchable or outright awful (and I've read a few things that are). Simply that they aren't particularly standout (certainly not as good as many people I've met claim them to be).

I'd point out that dismissing a criticism of literature you like with an ad hominem also makes you sound like an idiot, but that would almost be an ad hominem in itself and I'm not sure I could take that level of irony, so I won't. :P I'm aware that this paragraph is ironic to as much, if not a greater degree.

Finished House of Leaves. Holy shit.
hahahahahha.

pretty much all there is to say after finishing that book. xP

did you check out the album me and my buddy made?

i've had people tell me it's "like listening to the soundtrack of the Navidson Record"...D:

I've been told that the first Dexter book was better than the first season of the show, but all of the subsequent books were worse than the subsequent seasons of the TV show. What's your word on that?

I've only seen the first season(don't have showtime)so I can't really say,but the first book is definitely better than the first season.

Just finished reading Battle Royale. Good book, but the ending would've been more poignant had the last deus-ex-machina-cluster of a chapter had just been eliminated and then events culminated on the mountain.

In terms of just flat out amazing books, I'd like to nominate Dune (and the rest of Frank Herbert's Dune series) as the greatest sci-fi book of all time.

In terms of just falt out amazing books, I'd like to nominate Dune (and the rest of Frank Herbert's Dune series) as the greatest sci-fi book of all time.
This. Just make sure you don't read anything by Brian Herbert, or you'll cry yourself to death.

I'd also nominate anything by T.A. Barron. He's always been one of my favorite fantasy writers, especially after I read the Merlin series. Really the only other favorite I can think of that no one else would know would be The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan.

Seriously though, read Dune, Dune: Messiah, and Children of Dune.

Personally, I found Heretics of Dune to be my favourite book in the cycle. Then the main one. The weakest would have to be God Emperor.

I'm halfway through the first Dune, it is very good

I think I'll still read stuff by Brian Herbert, just out of curiosity, are they really that bad :x

I had a lot of difficulty with Dune, like I have with most 'epic' series; there's so much detail and world-building and background, that the plot often isn't enough to keep me reading all the way through. They tend to just feel like a chore to read, to me. I read the first Dune book, and enjoyed it, but I just couldn't bring myself to read the rest of them.

even though they are from a females perspective, the Twilight books are extremeley good, im only on the 2nd one, but its really detailed, i can be reeding it for an hour and it would only seem like a few minutes, theyre very good and easy books to read.

even though they are from a females perspective, the Twilight books are extremeley good, im only on the 2nd one, but its really detailed, i can be reeding it for an hour and it would only seem like a few minutes, theyre very good and easy books to read.
Easy to read? Really?

The woman can't write. Whether or not her stories are creepy/mormon/ripped off from Buffy/etc. is open for debate (to some extent). Whether the story is good is open for debate. But her writing has been panned by critics everywhere because her books are not well written.

All she knows how to do is use a thesaurus to look up more adjectives to describe the characters physically. She doesn't know how to write characterisation. That makes it MORE difficult to read than it should be. It is not the mark of good writing that it is descriptive. Anyone can do that. Good writing is EFFECTIVE. Over-description makes the book harder to read than it should be.

I would argue that an easy-to-read book means you can read it for an hour and it feels like you've been reading for many, because it has drawn you into the world and you've followed numerous hours or days of the plot because you've engaged with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)